CA- 6 people found shot to death in remote desert area of El Mirage - Jan 2024 *ARRESTS*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Just for a perspective of the area

I drive Highway 395 between Northern and Southern California multiple times yearly. It is the major eastern highway between the Sierras and southern California, so it gets a lot of semi-truck traffic, RV's, LA weekend warrior and OHV types. The road is currently 100X better than it used to be 20 years ago.

The stretch between Lone Pine and Adelanto, or Victorville is really not pretty desert. Especially between Kramer Junction and Adelanto is flat featureless dry scrub without trees. I think there is one old sad Joshua Tree, but not even anything like the flats with many Joshua Trees slightly farther north. The sky is never blue, it is always dirty and hazy, either from dust or from the relentless heat. It is an area I never want to have car problems in and always drive during daylight, avoiding being on that road in the dark.

It has always had a sense of menace, to me, as there is a lot of open space where stuff like this could happen and no one would find you until they saw the buzzards circling.

It is also in San Bernadino county, the largest county in the US at over 20,000 sq miles. The county has a real deficiency of LE and investigatory people for the size, and for the large influx of people coming in who wanted to live in southern California but are "priced out to the desert".

In google-walking the intersection of US 395 on the map and looking down Shadow mountain Road, you can see the houses in the distance. Any chance the caller heard all that gunfire. Perhaps saw the two vehicle's headlights and fires set and no movement of the vehicles with the lights on afterwards from the scene so called it in to LE to check welfare of persons in those vehicles? Was it dark enough out at that time for the headlights and fires to stand out?

Alternatively, did the 6th individual manage to get away/escape injured and call it in, but succumbed to their own injuries as well?

If they heard shots, no one would think it was unusual.

Lots of unofficial target practice goes on in these kinds of areas. You'd really have to set a really big brush fire to get any notice from anyone around there.

The crime scene is 3 miles from HWY 395, 11 miles from Silver Lakes / Helendale.

El Mirage says it's 27 miles? Silver Lakes will always remind me of Robert & Sabrina Limon - Robert was killed in Tehachapi at the BNSF shop, but they lived in Silver Lakes.

yup, sad case. "secrets in silver lakes" was the name of the show about them.

yup, sad case. "secrets in silver lakes" was the name of the show about them.

All the years I have driven Highway 395, I've never thought there was a place with a lake or grass within 100 miles of the highway in that section. The Thiền Viện Chân Nguyên / Buddhist Meditation Center complex is always a wonderment, and an inspiration of what you can do with cheap cheap land and a deep well. That does have a few trees that are clearly watered and large enough to provide shade.

Last edited:
Welfare check was probably from someone who was tracking the location of a victim. They see their phones location as BFE and friend wasn't replying. . . .
And what is the welfare check for? "Please check on my friends who are in the middle of the desert in El Mirage?"

"The area, about 50 miles northeast of Los Angeles and about 20 miles northwest of Victorville, is so remote that the San Bernardino Sheriff’s Department called in help from the California Highway Patrol’s Aviation Division to find the scene, Rodriguez said."

I wonder who called in a welfare check and how it was worded.

Welfare check was probably from someone who was tracking the location of a victim. They see their phones location as BFE and friend wasn't replying. . . .
that is an interesting suggestion. Possible I think. Someone didn't show up somewhere expected and their friend or family member used something like find my phone, gets a weird reading their friend or family member's device is somewhere out in BFE.

what confuses me is the call that spurred LE to go investigate is being termed a wellness check rather than shots fired, someone injured, dead bodies, weird activity at el mirage, or any other language.

Unless "wellness check" is simply LEO speak being used to describe in a very vague way whatever the caller actually said or relayed to them. We won't know until we hear the call that came in.

new articles but no new info
6 bodies found at remote crossroads in Southern California desert; investigation ongoing

'Heartbreaking': Mystery Surrounds Discovery of 6 Dead Bodies in California's Mojave Desert

Well, it's remote, but if you know the area it's not THAT remote. Shadow Mountain Road is sign posted on Highway 395, likely because the Silver Lake community is east of there.

There is also a paved apron, turn-around area where you could pull over a vehicle and get a straight line of sight down Shadow Mountain Road westward towards the Lessing Road intersection. It's very flat terrain in there. If you were a local, it would be easy to drive from Adelanto to the Shadow Mountain Road apron there and observe to see if there were any vehicles collecting down Shadow Mtn Road, and the incident had been discovered. There are certainly no traffic cams in the area. The closest is probable 10 miles away.

If you look at the photos, Shadow Mtn Road is also a widely -graded dirt road, so it gets regular use. If you Google walk that turn-off from 395, you can see how wide and flat that road it. You can clearly see to where Lessing Road intersection would be. Makes me wonder if the perps were not local, to choose such an exposed area.

This looks like something you'd see across the border in regards to cartel violence, but it's rare here. I think this just has to be drug related though. I scrolled around using Google Earth to see if there are some grow operations in the area, and there are several. It's impossible to know if these are legitimate or not, of course.

This looks like something you'd see across the border in regards to cartel violence, but it's rare here. I think this just has to be drug related though. I scrolled around using Google Earth to see if there are some grow operations in the area, and there are several. It's impossible to know if these are legitimate or not, of course.
Yeah, there appears to be a grow operation about 4 miles to the SE of the site.

The Sun Hill Ranch is also fairly close, but it has industrial mining type buildings and an airstrip. On record, it appears to be a tungsten mining operation.

The flat desert terrain around Sun Ranch is also selling 5 acre lots for $6000. No mention of mining rights.

Yeah, there appears to be a grow operation about 4 miles to the SE of the site.

The Sky Ranch is also fairly close, but it has industrial mining type buildings. On record, it appears to be a tungsten mining operation.
Yeah, one of the operations I was looking at was in that area (south east). What made it stick out to me was its distance from the road, and the fact that its surrounded on all sides by a dirt berm.

Yeah, one of the operations I was looking at was in that area (south east). What made it stick out to me was its distance from the road, and the fact that its surrounded on all sides by a dirt berm.

Of all the grow areas in the region north of Adelanto and west of 395, it appears to have the densest number of viable greenhouses, and a generous number of trailers to live in around the edges, closest to the Ranchos Rosas notation, on Richardson Road. Some of the other ones look more abandoned, like the one that is about 5 miles more directly south from the intersection.

The Googlemap I am looking at shows 2024 copyright, so I don't know exactly when the images were taken.

I think the theory that the killings are related to some malfeasance with this grow operation is very plausible. Sends a message to everyone in the area.

Last edited:
There is a big concentration of grow operations in the El Mirage Road and El Mirage Airport to the SW of the intersection. Also all near the Daugherty Pump and Drilling facility, which would be key to a successful grow operation in this very arid region.

There is a big concentration of grow operations in the El Mirage Road and El Mirage Airport to the SW of the intersection. Also all near the Daugherty Pump and Drilling facility, which would be key to a successful grow operation in this very arid region.
I never imagined that grow operations occurred in such dry areas.

That’s where I pinpointed it too. The intersecting road is one north of Wrigley Rd., and two north of Shadow Mountain Rd. It turns to Mountain Rd. going west from Lessing and Vancouver Ave. to the east (ETA: kinda :D). The white van is on Lessing. JMO

<removing link because I can’t figure out how to share the location on Google Maps> ETA: Adding a link someone posted earlier. Thanks!

View attachment 477704
View attachment 477715

I think so too (link above to intersection). Whatever that 'white' area is that's in the crime scene photo is also showing up in your print screen of that location and in the link to the site on goooglemaps.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back