Found Deceased CA - Alex Holden, 25, Sacramento, 31 Dec 2019

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
In Sacramento we have DART (Drowning Accident Recovery Team) that goes out when it's known that the person went into the river--that isn't actually known here. Even then, they do a very short, limited search. They are volunteers and funded by donations. We apparently don't have a city or county rescue team.

My co-worker and his wife both drowned in that same river. The family ended up hiring a private company to locate and recover them.
I’m so sorry, that’s terrible.

Growing up in Northern California I’m very familiar with the river, and you’re right, there is nothing small about it. It’s cold, fast moving...ugh.

Good grief, where could he have gone? They have been searching all the likely places he might have taken. He didn’t just fall off the face of the earth.

If he had been abducted and held for ransom because of who his family members are, by now they would have heard something.

There are just way too many cases of college aged men going out after drinking and finding water somewhere and drowning. It’s like this weird phenomenon that’s been happening for years. IMO
It’s the strangest thing, and I’d never have been aware of it if it wasn’t for WS. But it’s like some magnetic draw, a siren’s call.

They drink, they drown. It’s craziness.

It’s the strangest thing, and I’d never have been aware of it if it wasn’t for WS. But it’s like some magnetic draw, a siren’s call.

They drink, they drown. It’s craziness.
They also drink and kill themselves in auto accidents in far greeter numbers- but that doesn't make for good conspiracy theories.

Totally my opinion, but does anyone else find the "carrying a passport instead of a drivers license" to be, well, odd? I wonder if people who've known him a long time could verify that he always did that. Or if he just recently started doing that.
The choice to carry the passport as ID could be due to recent job related reasons (I don't know if he has a new job or was looking). When hired you must complete Form I9. The passport is a single document that satisfies both identity and employment eligibility. If you use a drivers license, you must also provide a Social Security card, proper birth certificate, etc.
Employment eligibility is the only time I've ever used my passport.

They also drink and kill themselves in auto accidents in far greeter numbers- but that doesn't make for good conspiracy theories.
Well of course, yes. But in this case at least, we know Alex wasn’t driving.

PS - I don’t think there’s any conspiracy happening with men/alcohol/water...just an observation.

Another reason for using a passport might be that he never got a California driver's license when he moved from Missouri. I lived in Miami and did not get a Florida driver's license for a couple of years and used my passport as id. Registering a car from out of state in California is expensive and a hassle. Getting a CA driver's license is also a hassle with the Real id requirements.
I carry a passport CARD and keep my passport at home. And I have a drivers license but I still have to get that real ID.

As I reflect on what’s been made public about this case, it occurs to me that Alex is more likely simply missing, probably on his own terms, and not dead. Had he been a victim of kidnapping, a ransom demand would have been forthcoming in the days after he disappeared. Had he been killed in a robbery attempt or for some even more senseless reason, his body or some personal effects would have been found by now. Had he drowned, it seems the body would have surfaced by now.

Perhaps he simply needed a break from his life and situation. I wonder if his banking details will show evidence of a preplanned “escape hatch.”

That’s really sad, condolences. I saw someone in the thread earlier, refer to it as a creek so I’m glad you shared this story that shows the dangers associated with the river.

When I say creek, I mean the creek that follows Arden Garden Connector, which he would have to cross either on foot or via Northgate to get to the Natomas area. Here is the picture again:
upload_2020-1-9_16-3-59.png

Curious if he ever truly left the building? Has it been checked? Also the apartment?

His building doesn't appear to really have an inside other than the apartments and stairs going to the second floor units. These units exit to the outside:
خرائط ‪Google‬‏‏
The above street view is from April. This one shows more what it looks like in January (from 2019)
خرائط ‪Google‬‏‏

If ground searches continue to come up wth nothing, friends might want to check this out
Underground Tours – Sacramento History Museum
Hollow Sidewalks of Sacramento

Had he drowned, it seems the body would have surfaced by now.

Not really. The cold water extends the amount of time a body stays under, and then consider the American river mixes with a different water density when t hits the Sacramento River. Bodies tend to take around 3-4 weeks t surface. If I go look at other cases where a young guy was found in water, the average is about 1 months.
Found Deceased - SC - Adam Worley, 36, Greer, 8 February 2016
Found in a pond about 1 month later
Found Deceased - NY - Javier Horta, 34, The Bronx, 25 March 2016
Found in the river about 3 weeks later
Found Deceased - OH - Joey LaBute, 26, Columbus, 4 March 2016 #1
Found in river about a month later
Found Deceased - PA - John Kohlbecker, 27, Philadelphia, 11 February 2016
Found Deceased - MN - Joseph Brunn, 23, Otsego, 3 October 2015
Found 5 days later by SAR because the river was searched
Found Deceased - MA - Zachary Marr, 22, Boston, 13 Feb 2016 #1
Found after LE saw him fall through train bridge into the river on CCTV, about 1 month later

Last edited:
When I say creek, I mean the creek that follows Arden Garden Connector, which he would have to cross either on foot or via Northgate to get to the Natomas area. Here is the picture again:
View attachment 224833

His building doesn't appear to really have an inside other than the apartments and stairs going to the second floor units. These units exit to the outside:
خرائط ‪Google‬‏‏
The above street view is from April. This one shows more what it looks like in January (from 2019)
خرائط ‪Google‬‏‏

If ground searches continue to come up wth nothing, friends might want to check this out

Not really. The cold water extends the amount of time a body stays under, and then consider the American river mixes with a different water density when t hits the Sacramento River. Bodies tend to take around 3-4 weeks t surface. If I go look at other cases where a young guy was found in water, the average is about 1 months.
Found after LE saw him fall through train bridge into the river on CCTV, about 1 month later
Thank you for this information.

The number of cases you listed is heartbreaking.

So do I understand this correctly?- it appears he went to apartment and left about 2:30am and his cell phone was immediately drained of battery such that police cannot trace his phone to anywhere?

He was inebriated and presumably emotional from an argument, but I can’t understand why he would have left the apt setting out on a trip on foot with a phone with zero battery.

Could he have just powered it down as he left? Maybe to avoid a call from his GF? What would be any other reason? I can’t come up with one. I find it so odd his cell just happened to have no battery as he left and can’t make any sense of that.

ETA: there are several elements of this case that remind me of Owen Klinger, and I really hope this doesn’t end in same way. :(

MOO.

View attachment 224833

خرائط ‪Google‬‏‏
خرائط ‪Google‬‏‏

Thank you for all of your research and data points.

It reminds me that Timothy Cunningham was found drowned in a river after 2 months.

I have seen it said so many men who have been drinking fall into water and drown is that they are peeing an lose their balance. Then between their pants coming down,possible injury and dulled response from drinking it is a bad mix of circumstances with tragic results.

View attachment 224833

خرائط ‪Google‬‏‏
خرائط ‪Google‬‏‏

Here's a picture of Northgate Blvd. looking towards Midtown. The creek--actually Natomas East Main Drainage Canal--is to the left, and the Jedediah Smith Bike Trail is next to it. Logically, he would have cut off of the Sacramento Northern Trail and switched to Northgate Blvd. well before this used Northgate to cross the canal. Then he would have gone west to get to South Natomas.

But that's speculation on my part. The water that seems to be on the other side of the bike trail is rain runoff--this picture was from March 2019. The canal is only for overflow and the level rises and falls thru the year.

Attachments

• Northgate creek.JPG
    Northgate creek.JPG
    84.6 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads