CA CA - Amber Aiaz (aka Mei Yi Wu), 34, & Melissa Fu, 12, Irvine, 22 Nov 2019

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Amber Aiaz – The Charley Project
Melissa Fu – The Charley Project

Last updated June 17, 2021; details of disappearance updated.

Details of Disappearance
Melissa was last seen in Irvine, California on November 22, 2019. She disappeared with her mother, Amber Aiaz. On the day of the pair's disappearances, Cheng Zhang, who is Aiaz's husband and Melissa's stepfather, was home with Melissa at their apartment in the vicinity of Michelson and University. Aiaz was driving home from Las Vegas, Nevada with a carload of produce they planned to sell at the market.

Someone knocked on the door at 4:30 p.m., and when Zhang answered, he saw a woman and man he did not recognize. The woman had something in her right hand. Zhang felt something wet and misty on his face, then collapsed, unconscious. When he woke up hours later, there were bloodstains of the carpet and a bloody handprint on the kitchen wall. Melissa was gone. Aiaz should have arrived home by this time, but she was gone too. Neither of them have ever been seen again.

Zhang found a white lined paper with handwritten instructions from the kidnappers in Chinese. The note said Aiaz and Melissa were okay and would be home in a few days, but only if Zhang didn't contact police; if he did, the note warned, he would never see his wife and stepdaughter again. The note instructed him to clean up the apartment and act normal until they returned.

After the abductions, Zhang followed the kidnappers' instructions and carried on as normal for a week. He cut away the bloody carpet and replaced it, painted over the bloody handprint on the wall, posed as his wife on WeChat, and told his stepdaughter's school she was home sick. He found his wife's Ford Explorer parked in its usual spot, still full of the produce, and sold the food.

He stated that during this period he would sometimes find notes slipped under his door, telling him he was doing fine, would see Aiaz and Melissa soon, and to keep behaving normally. Five days after the abduction, he got a fifth note, telling him his wife and stepdaughter were still fine but he should leave town for two days. He went to Las Vegas, stayed with a relative, and returned two days later to find a sixth, final note telling him again that everything was fine, instructing him to clean the house again, and saying he would see Aiaz and Melissa in a few days.

When those few days passed without any more notes and without his wife and stepdaughter reappearing, Zhang finally went to the police. This was on December 2. Authorities were initially very skeptical of his account of the kidnapping and the events that followed. However, an extensive investigation, including more than 40 hours of interviews with Zhang, and 44 days of round-the-clock surveillance of him, did not disprove his story and in fact tended to support it.

Zhang did not behave suspiciously during the time he was under surveillance, and he directed police to where they found find the physical evidence he'd tried to cover up or destroy. He had thrown out the bloodstained carpet, but forensic techs found blood on the padding underneath, blood which they believe was Aiaz's. When investigators looked into sprays that could instantly knock someone out, they found out an anesthetic drug called Fluothane matched that description.

The abductors are described as both being in their forties and apparently of Chinese descent. The woman was 5'8 tall with an average build, and black hair pulled back in a bun. The man was 5'10 and about 190 pounds, with an average build and short black hair. They may have been driving a black Cadillac.

Prior to her disappearance, Melissa had talked to her grandmother daily. They have not spoken since the date of the child and her mother's alleged abduction. Aiaz left her American and Chinese bank accounts untouched, both her and Melissa's passports were left behind in the apartment, and neither of them is known to have entered China since their disappearances.

Investigators believe the motive for Aiaz and Melissa's abductions may have something to do with Aiaz's past. She had told Zhang she was a wealthy woman with millions of dollars in investments and hundreds of thousands in cash, and he was shocked to find out after her abduction that this was untrue. It's possible she had upset someone by deceiving them about her money, or that the kidnappers abducted her and her daughter expecting her to pay them money she did not possess.

Authorities are investigating the cases as possible kidnappings. They remain unsolved.

when i first read this i thought it was odd that both a mom AND child disappeared and there was nothing in the news. i wondered if maybe she was escaping an abuser... but now they are thinking abduction this is really crazy they are just releasing that now.
These are the things that stand out to me -

Husband claims he was sprayed with a gas when he opened his door and woke to find blood on the carpet and a bloody handprint on kitchen wall.
He found Aiza' Ford Explorer in its usual spot full of fruit, fish and other food to sell at local market. He sold it on WeChat at some point afterwards.
Stepdaughter had been home with him at the time and she and her mother were missing.
Husband passed polygraph.
Police surveilled him for quite some time but turned up nothing.
Aiaz told people she was a millionaire and her husband did not know she was broke until police told him.
Aiaz had an affair in China. The two separated and then got back together. This occurred within a couple of years.
Neighbors report seeing husband exit his home with a large cooler and a large storage container. He claims he was just cleaning out the apartment.
Husband had a knife cut near his thumb when police first questioned him and he said he cut his finger cutting meat.
Husband has cooperated fully and police have not been able to connect him to their disappearance. Police have "exhausted every lead".
Husband says he's not from this country and could just disappear if he was guilty.

A mother and daughter 'kidnapped.' A husband's bizarre story. A baffling Irvine mystery

I just read the LA Times article and wow! it's definitely a read. I do agree with the investigators that the stepfather, Zhang most likely has nothing to do with this. I can only imagine how he felt, having to wait all that time, following the kidnappers instructions of disposing of evidence etc., only not to be reunited with his wife and step-daughter.

I do think the motive likely lies in Amber's past. According to the article, police interviews suggest she angered people who felt she had swindled them out of money had even received threats because of that.

Wow. That's a lot of new info.

After reading all that, my initial impression is that the most likely scenario involves the following:

1) Husband finds out wife lied to him about her wealth. That plus the history of wife cheating on him drives him into a rage.
2) Husband concocts a murder plan. He uses the kidnapper story to excuse all his actions after their murder. He doesn't need to worry about cleaning up the blood thoroughly, he can explain away why he acted "normally" after they disappeared, etc, all because the "kidnappers" told him to. Would kidnappers really be returning to the scene of the crime multiple times to slip notes under the door? I highly doubt that.
3) Husband disposed of bodies via large cooler (wife) and storage container (step daughter). The wound on his thumb was from the murders. If his wife and stepdaughter were really kidnapped and he believed them to be in grave danger, why would he suddenly be "cleaning out his apartment"? Yeah, he supposedly had to clean up the blood per "kidnappers' orders," but I don't think those storage containers had anything to do with that. It was all his decision to do that "cleanup" and that was one thing he couldn't explain away and blame on the kidnappers, hence the very vague & weak excuse he provided.

I wonder if police can trace where the anesthetic came from. Whoever got that Fluothane is obviously a guilty party. Also, Fluothane and its generic form halothane are not available in the US. I am guessing it came from China, so it would be very hard to track down where exactly it was purchased. I wonder if the husband took any recent trips to China or received any packages from China before the disappearances.

What a bizzare case.

I’m on the fence. If I hypothetically wanted to kill my partner and their child, I might plan and concoct a story. I don’t think I’d concoct one that included the spray-in-the-face substance and setting up the kidnap scenario.

But on the other hand, the husband’s story seems just too bizzare to be believable, in my opinion.

I am curious to know if police were able to estimate the amount of blood that was shed in the apartment, though some the evidence was disposed of. Was it enough to believe someone was deceased before exiting the apartment? It seems that it was enough to go through the carpet and into the padding underneath.

I assume that if Zhang had a cell phone that his records have been scrutinized in an attempt to connect him to anyone or trace his movements.

It sure sounded like the cops did everything they possibly could to prove that this guy’s ridiculous story was a lie.
But they couldn’t.
And they really tried.

IMO, that’s crazy!! We read every day about all the different ways the police are able to identify suspects. And yet they couldn’t find a single thing amiss within the husband’s story? Sounds like some crazy Chinese underground stuff. I’ll admit my knowledge of these kinds of things is extremely limited but I was really shocked to read that portion of the article. (Cited above)

MOO!

It sure sounded like the cops did everything they possibly could to prove that this guy’s ridiculous story was a lie.
But they couldn’t.
And they really tried.

IMO, that’s crazy!! We read every day about all the different ways the police are able to identify suspects. And yet they couldn’t find a single thing amiss within the husband’s story? Sounds like some crazy Chinese underground stuff. I’ll admit my knowledge of these kinds of things is extremely limited but I was really shocked to read that portion of the article. (Cited above)

MOO!

I agree, It appears the Irvine police and the FBI really checked out Chang's story and couldn't fault it. I also agree with the assertion that if he was guilty, there's really no reason for him to have reported it at all. He could have just went back to China and disappeared. After all, China and the US do not have an extradition treaty from what I understand.

But they couldn’t.
And they really tried.

MOO!
I believe LE know exactly what they're doing. The VERY DETAILED story appearing in the LA Times, instead of a local paper, has likely given her husband a false sense of security. It's the kind of article we usually see after a case is solved.

IMO, it's not over by a long shot. Now we wait to see what the husband does next.

A mother and daughter 'kidnapped.' A husband's bizarre story. A baffling Irvine mystery

I just read the LA Times article and wow! it's definitely a read. I do agree with the investigators that the stepfather, Zhang most likely has nothing to do with this. I can only imagine how he felt, having to wait all that time, following the kidnappers instructions of disposing of evidence etc., only not to be reunited with his wife and step-daughter.

I do think the motive likely lies in Amber's past. According to the article, police interviews suggest she angered people who felt she had swindled them out of money had even received threats because of that.
How do we read this article without subscribing?

This is one of the strangest stories I have heard. You can't write this stuff.

I live in OC and this is the first I've heard of it. What about the five subsequent kidnapper's notes that he received? I didn't see any info regarding their validity.

This is one of the strangest stories I have heard. You can't write this stuff.

I live in OC and this is the first I've heard of it. What about the five subsequent kidnapper's notes that he received? I didn't see any info regarding their validity.

I guess if you believe any of it's true, you kind of have to accept the whole story.

I guess if you believe any of it's true, you kind of have to accept the whole story.

I mean from the article either the cops are trying to make him think that they believe him with how it's worded. But I mean I don't know how long they have been sitting on the information or how long they have been researching. If it's been months or so then I believe they probably can't figure out a way to not prove it couldn't be what he said...
It's truly bizarre.

I just found out about this strange case on the Charley Project. The LA Times article adds some to the Charley Project, but not much. If Zhang is not involved, I wonder about the motive.

What a strange story! I'm leaning toward the wife disappearing on her own accord. Hopefully her and her daughter are happy and healthy somewhere.

Though, I don't like that the husband was seen taking a cooler and storage bin out of the apartment.

Last edited:
I have soooo many thoughts. I am just posting this comment so I can write a lengthier post when I have more time and so I won't forget lol

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mysterylinds
Back