Still Missing CA - Aranda Briones, 16, missing after a night out with friends, Moreno Valley, 13 Jan 2019 *arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I definitely don’t think you should go find Gary, for any reason, whatsoever. Stay safe!
Agree, sorry I just let that go out of anger, cause this case just makes me sick nd angry especially how long it’s been and being a resident from Moval and knowing Randa Personally hits different, she was such a amazing girl working at Charleys Cheesesteak’s ready to be shift lead, she was ready to graduate she was supposed to see me and my girlfriend her best friend get married and we were expecting to see her do the same as well I wish she could’ve left more information about this Owen guy with my girlfriend before this all ever happened I grief still cause we know she’s not resting properly

Attachments

• C4E83D1F-8D34-4384-BC46-48F0C1C85DC7.jpeg
    C4E83D1F-8D34-4384-BC46-48F0C1C85DC7.jpeg
    84.3 KB · Views: 45
Welcome to WS @Gp0711!

I'm very sorry for you and your community to experience the loss of such a lovely girl in such a horrific manner.

Tracking the judicial side from the beginning -- I'm exasperated with the delays in this case. A perfect example is that even after the much delayed preliminary hearing (Sept) that resulted in the court bounding Owen over for trial, he's still not been arraigned!

As a local and in your opinion, is there something about the Shover family that is assisting the court delays? Political power?

And the same with the local media blackout too. No local reporters covered the prelim hearing?!!! It's very bizarre.

I know that non-local Media applied for expanded coverage of the prelim hearing but the court denied the request.

MOO

Welcome to WS @Gp0711!

I'm very sorry for you and your community to experience the loss of such a lovely girl in such a horrific manner.

Tracking the judicial side from the beginning -- I'm exasperated with the delays in this case. A perfect example is that even after the much delayed preliminary hearing (Sept) that resulted in the court bounding Owen over for trial, he's still not been arraigned!

As a local and in your opinion, is there something about the Shover family that is assisting the court delays? Political power?

And the same with the local media blackout too. No local reporters covered the prelim hearing?!!! It's very bizarre.

I know that non-local Media applied for expanded coverage of the prelim hearing but the court denied the request.

MOO
I agree this case is so frustrating especially with the next move they tried to do, I honestly wouldn’t know how to answer that truthfully but I do think they are assisting would only make sense I mean they already let Gary out so maybe political power does have to be involved that’s why it’s taking so long to find Owen Guilty, and the media blackout is just wrong it’s like they wanted views but didn’t take the case seriously also what could the courtroom be hiding that they didn’t let media continue to do coverage about this case it’s like at this point they are hiding something from all of us and just don’t want to open their mouths they didn’t even let us know what they found or anything it’s all a secret

Now that I think about it this whole case is starting to seem fishy to me something is not adding up they hiding something from us now
By March 2019, authorities affirmed Aranda was the victim of homicidal violence. Then in Sept 2019, perhaps to pacify the public, the DA told us the volumes of evidence (1800 pgs) and photos (12 CD's) which left me wondering, OK, where are Briona's remains?

I'm so sorry for AB's family and friends. IMO, three years of continuances for the preliminary hearing are inexcusable. MOO :mad:

Did you attend the preliminary hearing in September (i.e., the mini-trial where the evidence presented was sufficient to bound Owen to trial but insufficient to charge Gary)?

Since cameras and/or live streaming were not allowed at the hearing and lack of media coverage of the hearing, we have been left in the dark about what evidence was in the volumes of pages and photos cited by the DA.

3/1/2019

[..]

According to sheriff's officials, the brothers were identified as prime suspects in Briones' disappearance and death following a weeks-long investigation. The siblings were taken into custody without incident on Feb. 11 at their Hesperia residence on Grevillea Street, near Old Ranch Road.

[..]

Sheriff's Lt. Chris Durham said Owen Shover -- a friend of Briones from Moreno Valley High School -- was the last person to have seen the girl alive. Durham said investigators spoke to Shover, who allegedly claimed he had dropped Briones at the park, where she was picked up by somebody in a four-door sedan. But Durham said that surveillance cameras from the area undercut Shover's story.

"The camera system was reviewed and ultimately it destroys the timeline that he provided," Durham said last month.

A neighbor of the Shovers told reporters that she saw sheriff's investigators digging in the backyard of the brothers' home, where they unearthed clothing and blankets.

"Evidence was collected that confirmed ... Miss Briones was the victim of a homicide and points at these two brothers," Durham said.

Authorities have not disclosed a possible motive for the killing.

The motive I believe had to be rejection, Aranda would bring up Owen at times and tell us about him but it was way before everything happened back when she use to like Owen ofc time passed and feeling change and I think that triggered Owen to want to set up Aranda he couldn’t bare that she didn’t want anything with him so he played the role of acting cool or not hurt about the situation to reel her in and when he had the chance took advantage of Yaya and that’s when he did what he did

The motive I believe had to be rejection, Aranda would bring up Owen at times and tell us about him but it was way before everything happened back when she use to like Owen ofc time passed and feeling change and I think that triggered Owen to want to set up Aranda he couldn’t bare that she didn’t want anything with him so he played the role of acting cool or not hurt about the situation to reel her in and when he had the chance took advantage of Yaya and that’s when he did what he did

Friday, March 10th:
*Information Arraignment Hearing for both (@ 8:30am PT) – CA – Aranda Briones (16) (Jan. 13, 2019, Moreno Valley, not found) – *Owen Skylar Shover (18/now 22) ex-bf arrested (2/11/19), charged (2/15/19) & arraigned (3/1/19) & recharged (9/16/22) with 1st degree murder & special circumstance allegation of lying in wait. Held without bond. DA will not seek DP.
*Owen Skylar Shover charged (3/15/21) & arraigned (6/25/21) with bringing drugs into jail.
*Gary Anthony Shover (21/now 26) arrested (2/11/19), charged (2/15/19) & arraigned (3/1/19) with 2nd degree murder & conspiracy to commit a crime. <<Charges dismissed on 9/16/22 & recharged (9/16/22) with a felony accessory after the fact. Held without bond. Bond changed to $10K (9/30/22). Out on bond (9/30/22).
Court info from 2/15/19 thru 10/5/22 reference post #449 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...reno-valley-13-jan-2019-arrest.414244/page-23

12/9/22 Update: Owen & Gary: Request for continuance, next information arraignment hearing on 1/26/23. 1/26/23 Update: Information arraignment hearing was reset on 3/10/23

Friday, March 10th:
*Information Arraignment Hearing for both (@ 8:30am PT) – CA – Aranda Briones (16) (Jan. 13, 2019, Moreno Valley, not found) – *Owen Skylar Shover (18/now 22) ex-bf arrested (2/11/19), charged (2/15/19) & arraigned (3/1/19) & recharged (9/16/22) with 1st degree murder & special circumstance allegation of lying in wait. Held without bond. DA will not seek DP.
*Owen Skylar Shover charged (3/15/21) & arraigned (6/25/21) with bringing drugs into jail.
*Gary Anthony Shover (21/now 26) arrested (2/11/19), charged (2/15/19) & arraigned (3/1/19) with 2nd degree murder & conspiracy to commit a crime. <<Charges dismissed on 9/16/22 & recharged (9/16/22) with a felony accessory after the fact. Held without bond. Bond changed to $10K (9/30/22). Out on bond (9/30/22).
Court info from 2/15/19 thru 10/5/22 reference post #449 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...reno-valley-13-jan-2019-arrest.414244/page-23

12/9/22 Update: Owen & Gary: Request for continuance, next information arraignment hearing on 1/26/23. 1/26/23 Update: Information arraignment hearing was reset on 3/10/23

Info arraignment on 3/10 was disposed, request for continuance filed, and hearing reset for 4/18.

Case RIF1900705 - SHOVER, GARY ANTHONY - Actions & Minutes

Action DateAction TextDispositionHearing Type
12/31/2050 CASE DESIGNATION: NOT DEATH PENALTY
04/18/2023 8:30 AM DEPT. 53 INFORMATION ARRAIGNMENT ACTIVE ARRAIGNMENT
03/10/2023 REQUEST FOR CONTINUANCE PURSUANT TO PC 1050 FILED.
03/10/2023 8:30 AM DEPT. 53 INFORMATION ARRAIGNMENT DISPOSED ARRAIGNMENT

A 995 motion (pronounced “nine-nine-five”) is essentially an appeal of the preliminary hearing judge's decision to bind the case over for trial. Technically it is known as a “motion to set aside the information.” “Information” is the legal name for the criminal complaint in a California felony prosecution.

Dept.TimeCase NumberDefendant NameDescription
538:30 AMBAF2100340 SHOVER, OWEN SKYLERFelony Settlement Conference
538:30 AMRIF1900705SHOVER, OWEN SKYLERHearing on Motion to Set Aside Information/Indictment pursuant to 995 PC.
538:30 AMRIF1900705SHOVER, OWEN SKYLERInformation Arraignment

@Niner

Can "995 Motions" get your case dismissed? (Former DA explains)​

Since we were not able to view the preliminary hearing, and very little MSM coverage of the hearing when the Judge ruled Owen's case bound over for trial, this motion by the defense makes me very nervous. :eek:

A 995 motion (pronounced “nine-nine-five”) is essentially an appeal of the preliminary hearing judge's decision to bind the case over for trial. Technically it is known as a “motion to set aside the information.” “Information” is the legal name for the criminal complaint in a California felony prosecution.

Dept.TimeCase NumberDefendant NameDescription
538:30 AMBAF2100340 SHOVER, OWEN SKYLERFelony Settlement Conference
538:30 AMRIF1900705SHOVER, OWEN SKYLERHearing on Motion to Set Aside Information/Indictment pursuant to 995 PC.
538:30 AMRIF1900705SHOVER, OWEN SKYLERInformation Arraignment

@Niner

Are all these items for 3/10/23 his last hearing - or is there a date missing for this Felony Settlement Conference - or this also happened on 3/10/23?

And thanks for that info on the 995PC stuff.

Are all these items for 3/10/23 his last hearing - or is there a date missing for this Felony Settlement Conference - or this also happened on 3/10/23?

And thanks for that info on the 995PC stuff.

Since Gary is no longer in custody, I check his case in a different court tab because the court will let him know in advance that his hearing was continued to April 18 but this information won't populate for me until the hearing date or the day after because I don't have a paid subscription.

As for Owen, he's in custody so I can only access his hearing info (for all his cases) on the court calendar site but I can only access the calendar during a 7-day window.

Owen's felony settlement conference for the drug charges on the calendar for 3/10 was not the last hearing, and we can expect to see this entry repeat on the docket over and over until Owen is scheduled for a prelim hearing for this charge. Although I can't confirm until after April 10, I expect to see Owen's name on the 4/18 court calendar for a felony conference hearing for the drug charge case number.

However, since it's now 3/11/23 and Gary & Owen share the same case number for the murder, I can now confirm (on the site I check for Gary) that Owen is also on the docket for 4/18/23 for the murder case number (but I can't access the drug case number here).

Case RIF1900705 - Defendants

SeqDefendantNext Court DateStatusAgency /
DR Number
Arrest DateCount 1 ChargeViolation Date
1 SHOVER, OWEN SKYLER Hearing on Motion to Set Aside Information/Indictment pursuant to 995 PC.
04/18/2023 AT 8:30 AM DEPT. 53
ACTIVE RSTE
MV190140275
01/13/2019 PC 187(A) 01/13/2019
2 SHOVER, GARY ANTHONY Information Arraignment
ACTIVE RSTE
MV190140275
01/13/2019 PC 32 01/13/2019

@Seattle1 - what a Mess!! LOL! Okay - going to get my notes together here - and try again! :) Thanks a bunch for taking the time on this case!
Waving White Flag Smiley

Agree, sorry I just let that go out of anger, cause this case just makes me sick nd angry especially how long it’s been and being a resident from Moval and knowing Randa Personally hits different, she was such a amazing girl working at Charleys Cheesesteak’s ready to be shift lead, she was ready to graduate she was supposed to see me and my girlfriend her best friend get married and we were expecting to see her do the same as well I wish she could’ve left more information about this Owen guy with my girlfriend before this all ever happened I grief still cause we know she’s not resting properly
I am so so sorry for your loss as well as your gf's loss. Such a tremendous, traumatic, and sudden death. Please don't feel like you're expected to have less grief just bc it's been a few years. A few years can feel like yesterday. My best friend died in June 2022 and I can picture his beautiful face perfectly and I am sure I will always be able to. Grief is a wild experience. You sound like a great friend who genuinely cared so deeply. Your Yaya, as you called her, will always be with you, my friend. Honoring her memory is a great way to work through grief - like volunteering or donating to an animal shelter in her memory, etc., if she was extremely fond of animals. Obviously idk what she was into but just an idea for you that's helped me.
Do you think Gary did anything to/helped kill Aranda, or just helped bury her?
Him getting out on bond is a travesty. Insanity.
Since Gary is no longer in custody, I check his case in a different court tab because the court will let him know in advance that his hearing was continued to April 18 but this information won't populate for me until the hearing date or the day after because I don't have a paid subscription.

As for Owen, he's in custody so I can only access his hearing info (for all his cases) on the court calendar site but I can only access the calendar during a 7-day window.

Owen's felony settlement conference for the drug charges on the calendar for 3/10 was not the last hearing, and we can expect to see this entry repeat on the docket over and over until Owen is scheduled for a prelim hearing for this charge. Although I can't confirm until after April 10, I expect to see Owen's name on the 4/18 court calendar for a felony conference hearing for the drug charge case number.

However, since it's now 3/11/23 and Gary & Owen share the same case number for the murder, I can now confirm (on the site I check for Gary) that Owen is also on the docket for 4/18/23 for the murder case number (but I can't access the drug case number here).

Case RIF1900705 - Defendants

SeqDefendantNext Court DateStatusAgency /
DR Number
Arrest DateCount 1 ChargeViolation Date
1SHOVER, OWEN SKYLERHearing on Motion to Set Aside Information/Indictment pursuant to 995 PC.
ACTIVERSTE
MV190140275
01/13/2019PC 187(A)01/13/2019
2SHOVER, GARY ANTHONYInformation Arraignment
ACTIVERSTE
MV190140275
01/13/2019PC 3201/13/2019

I wanna know how this Gary fellow got his murder charge knocked down to accessory to a crime. A SIGNIFICANT dropping of MULTIPLE charges. How in the hell? People who deserve that to happen and deserve a chance don't get it, but a grown man who had no problem burying a 16 year old girl gets this opportunity. What a JOKE.

I just got a new job and have been extremely busy, but i have some time off these next few days. im thinking of researching their family name to see if they have political connections because this is crazy.

Also - Seattle - you're amazing. Thank you.
Quick favor to ask - can you please explain the 995 stuff to me like I'm five lol i don't understand.

Reposting MSM from the arrest more than 4 years ago.

Feb 13, 2019

Sheriff's officials said Owen Skyler Shover, 18, was arrested on suspicion of murder, and Gary Anthony Shover, 21, was arrested on suspicion of conspiracy to commit murder.

There was no bail information listed for the two men, who were both arrested in Hesperia between 1 and 2 a.m. Monday. According to Aranda's family, Aranda and the two suspects were high school friends.

Aranda was reportedly last seen on Sunday, Jan. 13 near the Moreno Valley Community Park at Frederick and Cottonwood. Her family said the last person she was with was Owen Skyler Shover, who claimed she was dropped off there to be with one of her friends and she was spotted getting into a gray four-door car. Sheriff's officials said a camera system that was reviewed destroys that timeline.

"I think he's a bad influence, in my opinion," Aranda's uncle Matthew Horstkotte said. "He used to go to Moreno Valley High School, and they stopped hanging out for, like, a year. She never talked about him and then, all of a sudden, they started hanging out and out of the blue air she disappeared."

[..]

Neighbors also claimed that investigators found several items after digging in the suspects' home in Hesperia last month.

"It was like a blanket and a coat, and then they started sitting all these little markers around and digging in other places," one neighbor said.

So far, there has been no sign of Aranda, and a search for her body is ongoing.

Shover brothers were arrested on 2/11/19 and were not arraigned until 3/1/2019. Reposting arraignment news:

March 1, 2019

Two brothers accused of killing a 16-year-old Moreno Valley girl who went missing over a month ago pleaded not guilty Friday to a murder charge.

Gary Anthony Shover, 21, and Owen Skyler Shover, 18, were arrested last month in connection with the death of Aranda Briones. They both are charged with murder and a special circumstance allegation of lying in wait.

The pair appeared Friday morning at the Riverside Hall of Justice before Superior Court Judge Eric Keen, who set a March 28 felony settlement conference.

[..]

Neither has documented prior felony convictions.

According to sheriff's officials, the brothers were identified as prime suspects in Briones' disappearance and death following a weekslong investigation. The siblings were taken into custody without incident on Feb. 11 at their Hesperia residence.

Thanks for the info @Seattle1 - I added some info I didn't have. :)

Going back to review the case, it seems CA has what is known as a post-preliminary hearing arraignment known as an "information arraignment" that we've been seeing on the calendar.

But I don't know if this is because the prelim hearing was delayed three years or what?! o_O We know both defendants previously entered NG pleas. MOO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FlowersInBloom
Back