Still Missing CA - Aranda Briones, 16, missing after a night out with friends, Moreno Valley, 13 Jan 2019 *arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
To Niner and Seattle1, I have been following this case with you for years. Year after year, continuance after continuance. I’m not sure what it is, maybe it’s because my daughter was around the same age as Aranda, maybe it’s because I was a 16 year old girl years ago. I never forgot about her and always knew to check here once it was time for a possible update, hoping for some way forward. We were all frustrated together wanting justice for Aranda.

I had to register just so I could comment and thank you for never giving up on this case no matter how long it was going to take. The dedication you both showed to a girl you didn’t even know personally. It restores my faith in humanity. There are good people out there.

And now we have a GUILTY verdict and some justice for Aranda and her family. It won’t bring her back, but I truly hope that it provides some sort of relief for the family. Justice was served today and I will never forget where I was when I found out the verdict from today. There is a glimmer of hope in our justice system, no matter how slow it may be.

Thank you again for your unwavering dedication to Aranda Briones. May she rest in peace.

JFrom the Trial Brief about Aranda having the Owen's gun (because he asked her to hide it), and the school board later voting to expel them from MVHS, do you think Aranda would have ever been allowed to return-- or would she have been required to graduate from the "Continuation School?"

I think that would have been pretty devastating for a 16 yr old -- especially since MVHS is rated an above average public school, and more than 80% of the students liked and supported the school according to a Niche poll.

You know, I’m not entirely sure. The district doesn’t usually allow a student expelled for weapon possession back into the school they were expelled from. I had it happen almost 20 years ago with a student of mine who had brought his dad’s knife to school to show off to his fellow ROTC cadets. He was a good kid who made a bad decision bringing the blade on campus. He was not allowed to return.

The continuation school isn’t such a bad option. I dropped out my senior year, took my GED and enlisted in the military. I went to a continuation school to finish my last few credits before I left for basic training. Here I am, a whole lotta years later with a masters. I never planned to go to college.

Aranda did have difficulty figuring out who she wanted to be, and was hanging around the wrong people. Owen in particular. Maybe with the right guidance she would have turned it around. We do have several gangs in the area, and Owen liked to throw names around.

A man has been posting your updates to a FB group, which is why I haven’t been on here much. I’m relieved that he was found guilty, and disappointed Court TV didn’t release any other videos from the trial. I would have liked to hear testimony and see evidence presented. Hopefully they will put them together and release as one video like they have for other cases. Thank you so much for all of your updates and interest in Aranda and this case.

Friday, August 23rd:
*Felony Settlement Conference Hearing (Drugs) (@ 9am PT) – CA – Aranda Isabel Briones (16) (Last seen Jan. 13, 2019 near the Moreno Valley Community Park at Frederick & Cottonwood, Moreno Valley, not found) – *Owen Skylar Shover (18/now 23) ex-bf arrested for murder (2/11/19), charged (3/15/21) & arraigned (6/25/21) with bringing drugs into jail. Bond $5K. Riverside County
Court info from 2/15/19 thru 7/29/24 reference post #576 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...reno-valley-13-jan-2019-arrest.414244/page-29

7/31/24 Update: Drugs: Felony Settlement Conference hearing on 8/23/24 @ 9am.
Trial for murder – started on 8/6/24 & ended on 8/21/24 with a guilty verdict. Sentencing hearing on 10/25/24 @ 9am.

A man has been posting your updates to a FB group, which is why I haven’t been on here much. I’m relieved that he was found guilty, and disappointed Court TV didn’t release any other videos from the trial. I would have liked to hear testimony and see evidence presented. Hopefully they will put them together and release as one video like they have for other cases. Thank you so much for all of your updates and interest in Aranda and this case.
Yes, I believe we are all relieved! I'm not on FB but had heard before that a private FB group was primarily copying my updates. I recall the official FB by her Uncles stopped updating after a year. They had to be so devastated by the delayed prosecution.

I believe Aranda had made begun making positive progress in her life-- until that fateful phone call after a long pause in communication with Owen. She was doing well at Moreno Valley continuation school and was tracking to graduate early. She had a job in the mall (food service) and had just been told she'd been slotted for line(?) supervisor. She was saving money and hoped to soon have a down payment to buy a car after family promised to match her savings. No doubt family would have been disappointed to learn of Aranda communicating again with Owen, and I think this is why he collected her at the nearby park at not at home.

As for Court TV, I believe the Court must have limited their access to the opening statements. I'd hoped it would have included closing arguments also. I hope they Motion to record the sentencing and impact statements. Unfortunately, I've not been able to locate the Order but the previous applicable Court Order prohibited any video/audio.

To this date, I still don't understand the lack of local coverage. More specifically, a local reporter attending the trial to report on the testimony. We still don't have any confirmation if Gary testified during the trial against his brother!

MOO

8/22/24

On Wednesday, Shover was convicted by a jury of his peers on one count of murder in the first degree, along with a special circumstance of lying in wait. Under Golden State law, special circumstances are essentially sentencing enhancements that, if applied, must result in one of two outcomes: life in prison or the death penalty.

[..]

Due to the death penalty effectively nonexistent in California, he faces a mandatory term of life in prison without the possibility of parole when he is sentenced on Oct. 25.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CapeCodTodd
Back