Found Safe CA - Ashley Lynn Zachman, 36, Santa Barbara, 29 May 2020

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
So I Googled her street and then apartments and there are at least four apartment buildings that come up in the search. The street she lives on is a fairly long street and there are several businesses on it. I have to imagine at least some have cameras? It would at least help to get an idea of when she left her apartment again after returning home from work.

They mentioned in earlier posts her cats were found outside roaming on the porch. I don't know if that is just anecdotal information from neighbours but it could mean her apartment is in a large home retrofitted into apartments. Plus most apartments don't have back doors; another anecdotal piece of information that stated the back door was open. It makes it hard to get a handle on whether someone could easily enter her apartment from the street if there was no lobby.

Looking on Google I see very few apartment buildings. Most of the residential buildings appear to be single dwelling homes. There are a couple of homes that appear to be two storey apartments with balconies and porches. I wonder if she lived in something like that.
Here's an example of what I mean. خرائط ‪Google‬‏‏

Here's another one, a large older Victorian with multiple mail boxes on the front. خرائط ‪Google‬‏‏

The same article I linked upthread mentioned she is an avid hiker and they have searched some trails. I just wonder if she took off to go hiking that weekend and something happened? I know it would be really odd to leave your phone at home unless she was going hiking locally and wanted to "unplug" so she purposely left it at home?

If she did take off on her own, why? Where is she? Where does she plan to go? Her car I take it hasn't been spotted anywhere or we would have heard about it. It seems especially odd since she had a new job for only three months and no-call no-show would definitely jeopardize her standing at that job. Unless she did take off of her own volition that weekend and didn't want to be traced so she could just get away but had every intention of being back to work on Monday and something happened. I know she was spotted on surveillance Monday June 1, but I posted upthread while I still don't think it means she is 100% safe. MOO

There are signs she left in haste or an unusual manner. I'm local to this story, and I don't think there's MSM yet on some aspects, so I'll just state it as a rumor, but since I know the source of the rumor, I have to factor it in and I really want Ashley to be found. This is in the context of an abrupt increase of property crime and various assaults in Santa Barbara.

If she did do this to go hiking, she was in the throes of some mental issue. Where did she stay that night? There's no place near Ventura that she could have camped and most hotels require a credit card. Did she sleep in her car?

All campgrounds in the National Forests are closed, so it would have been a weekend of car-sleeping and hiking on day trips. Her car make and model is so common that it's really unlikely some citizen would see it and I don't think license plate capture tech is strong enough to capture every place the car might have gone.

I agree with you that the video doesn't prove she's safe. She could have been coerced to go to the ATM (it's strange she went to two of them).

But it is strange that she appears on surveillance getting cash on June 1. Maybe she is in fact holed up in a hotel somewhere (or previously met someone she wanted to spend some time with, has had it with being a nurse, etc).

I have a couple of quick questions
It’s been reported she was home sometime between 5 and 5:30 pm and she changed clothes. How do we know this? It’s also reported she was last seen leaving the hospital at 5pm, so if no one saw her after she left work, how do we know she arrived home and changed clothes?

Is that based only on her phone being at her home? That’s bothered me from the beginning. And if she left voluntarily for what ever reasons, why leave the cats outside and a door wide open? Yes, I do understand the variables a mental health/emotional issue brings into play but I just don’t see leaving a door wide open. And I am in no way saying she has a mental health issue!

So many questions!

I have a couple of quick questions
It’s been reported she was home sometime between 5 and 5:30 pm and she changed clothes. How do we know this? It’s also reported she was last seen leaving the hospital at 5pm, so if no one saw her after she left work, how do we know she arrived home and changed clothes?

Is that based only on her phone being at her home? That’s bothered me from the beginning. And if she left voluntarily for what ever reasons, why leave the cats outside and a door wide open? Yes, I do understand the variables a mental health/emotional issue brings into play but I just don’t see leaving a door wide open. And I am in no way saying she has a mental health issue!

So many questions!

I got the impression someone went to her place and saw the discarded clothes she wore that day at work. Perhaps a friend or relative.

Hi everyone,
I am sensing that something against her will occurred. She might have had a different start time for her shift on Monday. She could have had a shift that was at a later time that day, and perhaps was seen on the video footage prior to when she was suppose to begin her shift. I also read that she was suppose to go on a hike in Pasadena that weekend with a group of people. So she could have been driving back up to Santa Barbara from Pasadena, making a stop at this ATM on the way back home. With someone with her in her car. Another thing I found interesting, She had just recently started working at the Cottage hospital in March. Prior to that, she worked at Huntington Memorial Hospital in Pasadena, CA. That hospital is huge, and it is extremely nice. This is where all of the folks that reside in Pasadena, and the surrounding areas go for care. What caused her to move all the way from Pasadena to Santa Barbara? I mean she has only worked at this Cottage Hospital for 3 months. What caused her to completely uproot her life, and move? Something significant I feel. It is also interesting to note the under the radar-ness of the LE. Like there is more that they are wanting to keep private.

Hi,
I am a close friend of Ashley and have known her for close to 15 years. I want to try and clear up some questions people have asked in hopes it helps in finding her. In regard to your question about her leaving Ventura, there is nothing weird or strange about this in her case. Ashley was a traveling Nurse and has moved all over the place and has lived in 5 or 6 cities since she lived in Ventura. She moved to Santa Barbra for a more permanent job and place to live. Thanks

I
Hi,
I am a close friend of Ashley and have known her for close to 15 years. I want to try and clear up some questions people have asked in hopes it helps in finding her. In regard to your question about her leaving Ventura, there is nothing weird or strange about this in her case. Ashley was a traveling Nurse and has moved all over the place and has lived in 5 or 6 cities since she lived in Ventura. She moved to Santa Barbra for a more permanent job and place to live. Thanks

Hi there. Thank you for your reply. Though, I never mentioned anything about her "leaving Ventura" in my comment that I wrote.

Obviously from an outsider looking in, the circumstances surrounding this situation are extremely strange, and I live in the area, so automatically I care about what happens to others in my community. Especially considering she is a female who is right around my age. It may not be strange for her to travel, but it is extremely strange from what I gathered, for her to be missing, non -responsive for this long. That was my point. Thank you

I

Hi there. Thank you for your reply. Though, I never mentioned anything about her "leaving Ventura" in my comment that I wrote.

Obviously from an outsider looking in, the circumstances surrounding this situation are extremely strange, and I live in the area, so automatically I care about what happens to others in my community. Especially considering she is a female who is right around my age. It may not be strange for her to travel, but it is extremely strange from what I gathered, for her to be missing, non -responsive for this long. That was my point. Thank you

You are right, I meant Pasadena. Does not matter though as she has been found!

I really doubt she'd be working as a nurse with a mental health or drug issue in her past. "At risk" often simply means the person otherwise would not normally go missing so the disappearance is suspicious.
I believe that’s correct the vast majority of the time. But like everything else, there are outliners, IMO:

Updated Jan 20, 2019; Posted Jan 24, 2014
By Julie Mack | jmack1@mlive.com
“KALAMAZOO, MI -- During a press conference Wednesday about the disappearance of Dr. Teleka Patrick, Kalamazoo County Sheriff Richard Fuller was very careful not to label Patrick as mentally ill. In fact, Fuller said, Patrick -- a first-year psychiatry resident in the Western Michigan University School of Medicine -- has never been diagnosed with a mental disorder.

But in detailing the circumstances of her Dec. 5 disappearance, the sheriff and Detective Sgt. William Sparrow, the lead investigator in the case, noted Patrick has experienced delusions and was acting ‘strangely,’ ‘confused’ and ‘erratic’ just before she went missing.

[SBM]

Patrick's story

[SBM]

After earning her bachelor's degree, Patrick entered a program at Loma Linda University in California that allowed her to earn both a medical degree and a doctorate in biochemistry.

Patrick was viewed as a brilliant student and received tens of thousands of dollars in research grants from the National Institutes of Health.

[SBM]

Last spring, Patrick graduated from Loma Linda with a medical degree and doctorate in biochemistry. In June, she came to Kalamazoo to start her residency in psychiatry.

Patrick told WMU officials she applied to their program to be close to her fiance. She appeared to be referring to Marvin Sapp, a Grand Rapids minister and gospel singer. She and Sapp had never met, but Patrick thought God was telling her that Sapp, a widower with three children, was her future husband.

[SBM]

In September, a judge granted Sapp a personal protection order against Patrick, and his Lighthouse Full Life Center Church board sent her a letter banning her from the church because of her ‘inappropriate’ behavior.

Patrick continued to write Twitter messages detailing her obsession with Sapp. The posts indicate she was convinced the two had a telepathic communication and he was secretly in love with her.

[SBM]” (BBM)
In Teleka Patrick case, mental-health complexities put in spotlight

Three months later:
Updated Jan 20, 2019; Posted Apr 10, 2014
By Julie Mack | jmack1@mlive.com
“KALAMAZOO, MI -- Exactly four months ago to the day after issuing its first press release about a missing-person investigation for Dr. Teleka Patrick, the Kalamazoo County Sheriff's Office declared the case closed Wednesday, with the discovery of Patrick's body in northern Indiana.

It now appears the 30-year-old Kalamazoo medical resident accidentally drowned in a pond a few hundred feet from where her car was found abandoned, Sheriff Richard Fuller said at a Wednesday morning press conference.

[SBM]

In the weeks before her disappearance, Patrick was increasingly despondent about her decision to move to Kalamazoo, according to her social media posts.

On Dec. 5, Patrick worked a shift at Borgess Medical Center. She was last seen leaving the parking lot at 8 p.m.

Her car was found two hours later in a ditch alongside westbound I-94 near Porter, Ind., about 110 miles from Kalamazoo. Her wallet was inside, but Patrick had disappeared.

[SBM]

Patrick seemed fine during her work shift at Borgess on Dec. 5, Fuller said Wednesday.

But after work, she left her cellphone and all other property owned by WMU and Borgess in her locker. She asked a co-worker to drive her downtown, although her car was in the Borgess parking lot. She also told the co-worker that she had lost her wallet, and he loaned her $100 cash.

[SBM]

1. What was Patrick's mental state the night of Dec. 5?

It now appears Patrick may have had longstanding mental-health issues dating back to her college years. It's also apparent she successfully kept those issues largely hidden from family and friends.

Indeed, most people knew Patrick as a brilliant, high-functioning professional. The same week she disappeared, she received a glowing mid-year evaluation about her psychiatric residency.

[SBM]” (BBM)
Teleka Patrick case: 6 things we know and 4 questions still unanswered

The reporter who wrote the two articles above also wrote a story about the disappearance of Teleka, but with a focus on the “amateur sleuths,” who were following her case here on Websleuths at the time:
Teleka Patrick case has amateur sleuths taking lead role in public disclosures
https://www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo/2014/04/teleka_patrick_case_4_things_w.html
This was one of the first cases I followed on WS, and to this day, one of the saddest. I’m glad that Ashley has been found unharmed.

I just want to take a moment to say that I'm very thankful for people like Ashley. These nurses, predominantly women, are the heroes of this year. They deserve to be named the Time Person of the Year. It would not be the first time that the magazine has named a group of people rather than one person.

While doctors and others have done a lot to help the sick, nurses are the ones in those hospital rooms again and again. They are often the ones holding the hands of people who may or may not be taking their last breaths. They provide very important care and comfort to hundreds of thousands of sick people. Although Ashley is a specialized type of nurse, I'm sure she has been reassigned to help with the pandemic, and I'm sure she has experienced some very difficult moments and has heard about similar moments from her coworkers.

One thing I love about this website is the humanity of the people who come here. While many of us are crime junkies who are fascinated by the cases and enjoying discussing them, everyone is very much focused on a good outcome for people. And I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say that we are just very happy to learn that Ashley has been located, and we hope she is well.

Furthermore, we understand and appreciate the difficult job that Ashley and other medical workers have had to do. And there is absolutely no shame or judgment toward anyone who may feel the need to get away from it all. I, for one, could not do it. I would be crying myself to sleep every night. Nurses have had to find a lot of strength to do their jobs, and it's not easy. But Ashley and other nurses should know that, when they are dealing with the emotional weight of doing their jobs, they can take some comfort in knowing that we care. This would be a great moment to support your local nurses. Drop a gift or two off at your local nursing home or hospital. Advocate for good mental health programs for them. And use your voice to let them know that we love them and are here to offer a hug and our support in these difficult times. Ashley, just knowing that there are people who care so much in this world brings me much comfort. What you do means so much not only to us but more importantly to the people you help.

Thank God she was found safe. Agree that at this point the circumstances really don’t matter. All that does is she’s safe and her family can rest assured of that.

Guessing the family requesting privacy means there’s more personal stuff/reasons to this story and AZ’s disappearance, but that’s their business and not something we ever need to know or be told. Hope all goes well for them.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ResortedOnce
Back