CA CA - Barbara Thomas, 69, Bullhead City, hiking wearing bikini in Mojave desert, 12 July 2019

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do we know who first described their activity as hiking? I've seen a lot of posts questioning her attire and beverage choice. If they were truly hiking, then yeah, I would expect her to be carrying water and wearing a t-shirt or something. But if they wanted to go for a short walk and look for rocks and things to take pictures of, then I can see wearing a bikini top and sipping a cold one. Did her husband say they were "hiking," or is it just because she was wearing hiking boots?
Thomas’ husband, Robert, told authorities that the couple had driven their camper to the area on Friday and embarked on a two-mile hike. He said they were on the return to the camper when he stopped to take some pictures and his wife continued toward their destination.

Search continues for missing Bullhead City woman

I'm stuck on the last seen clothing description. I'm fairly certain she had shorts on, not just bikini bottoms. Why is this part of her clothing description being left out? Really bugs me. A woman calling herself Barbara's niece, commented on facebook, that she was actually wearing a bra, not a bikini.
I did see something yesterday that she was wearing a “bikini” top with shorts. Of course now I can’t find the source. That makes more sense to me. I also wonder why we don’t have a better description of what she was actually wearing.

I get the impression that her husband is almost blaming her for getting abducted because she was scantily dressed and carrying a beer.

Looks like the same person to me. More power to her if she is comfortable hiking in a bikini.

But if you look at desert nomads, they all cover up from the sun. And I’d have a backpack with water,water and the 10 essentials. Even if I intended to stay within sight of the campground

I read she had an open can of beer with her. According to what I've heard, alcohol is dehyrating for people when in the sun. Very strange story. The story was on Inside Edition last night, so she's still missing.

Reactions: byo
Ok. If they hiked out together, why didn't they have the key with them, in a pocket or the pack? Why leave it under a rock?

Maybe their thought was: we'll put key under rock close by, because --
--- if one of us gets tired, thirsty, what-ev, and wants to return first, he/she will have access, no matter which one of us it is, and the other can walk around a bit longer.
--it might easily fall out of pocket/off the tether on pack/what-ev., and it would be hard to find on the trail.

Just possibilities, bound to be more. Sorry if already covered

I'm stuck on the last seen clothing description. I'm fairly certain she had shorts on, not just bikini bottoms. Why is this part of her clothing description being left out? Really bugs me. A woman calling herself Barbara's niece, commented on facebook, that she was actually wearing a bra, not a bikini.

I'm male and while I'm sure there is a difference between a bikini top, a sports bra, and a regular bra, I'm failing that test if you gave it to me. They all look alike to me.

I read she had an open can of beer with her. According to what I've heard, alcohol is dehyrating for people when in the sun. Very strange story. The story was on Inside Edition last night, so she's still missing.

They had water. Also alcohol may be a diuretic but beer has a low % of alcohol so it's the least dehydrating: What's the Least Dehydrating Alcohol?

Two miles is barely a hike, more like a walk. I don't think anyone brings emergency shelters or firestarters on walks of that length.

I did see something yesterday that she was wearing a “bikini” top with shorts. Of course now I can’t find the source. That makes more sense to me. I also wonder why we don’t have a better description of what she was actually wearing.

I get the impression that her husband is almost blaming her for getting abducted because she was scantily dressed and carrying a beer.
hmmm i don’t have the sharpest memory but i’ll try to recount as best as i can - robbie and said he needs to talk to daddy and that barbara’s missing. it was a long story that started at the beginning on friday morning and progressed chronologically throughout the day. the impression robbie gave me was that she was wearing a red cap, a bikini and carrying a travel cup with beer in it. they lost sight of each other for 5-10 minutes before she “vanished” and he went back to their rv to see if she had returned but it was still locked so that meant she hadn’t come back yet (they had put the key under a rock which they both knew the location of). so he went back to check a shaded cave that they had found together earlier thinking she may have been taking a break from the heat but she wasn’t there either. he still wasn’t worried at this point because.. i don’t remember why he said he wasn’t yet worried. maybe because they both knew the area? or this was a regular thing? idk not sure but he continued searching for her on his own. by around noon time it was getting terribly hot so he started getting worried and called 911. police arrived like 2 hours later and searched for her. robbie said throughout the day they had sniff dogs, horses, hundreds of people and even a helicopter (which unfortunately couldn’t use its infrared function because it was too hot out to get any useful readings) and nobody could find any trace of her. searched throughout the night too. nothing. she had just disappeared. robbie admits “it doesn’t make any sense” that she just wandered off and got lost and there’s no evidence.. which is why he suspects she may have been picked up in a car. also because from the spot where she went missing she had to cross a highway in order to get back to where their rv was parked. also apparently she took a 360 picture that morning from on top of a hill and the photo included a parking lot with some vehicles in it so the police are looking into their license plates/info.

robbie said that he just wants barbara back and will press no charges against the person who abducted her so long as they return her. the call was delivered in a measured tone but he broke down a bit at this point, was tough to hear:( ..abc reached out? idk if it was abc but some mainstream news outlet and i definitely heard nancy grace mentioned. robbie’s done some interviews as he wants to get the word out. but he hasn’t seen or read any of the released news and comments. it’s too much

he said he keeps returning to the spot where he lost her and overturning rocks and searching and searching hoping to find something. he was there the day he called us although i think he said he shouldn’t really go back there as protocol says he’s the first suspect. he was even held for 5hrs in a cop car on the first day. it’s been nonstop and nobody is sleeping. robbie said he had held off on calling daddy to tell him the bad news because it was such devastating news and he was hoping she would turn up.. but he couldn’t wait any longer. he also said it’s difficult to call into china and said his calls rarely go through so if we want to ask any questions or talk more we should call him.
txt msg from my sister. wish i.asked.for this.earlier...

It would be good to confirm the timeline (when he called 911) when LE arrived, what was she wearing, was she carrying a beer can or insulated cup with beer, did he have both phones on him or did he need to retrieve one or both from the camper?

Me too, Claire!

Me 3 Claire :) - BTW, years ago my daughter wanted to volunteer for her resume at the Police Dept. and actually got the position while not passing her polygraph which showed "deception". The Police Lt. said she's just to literal and that happens. When the polygrapher asked if she ever stole anything, she recalled taking a quarter or dollar out of my pocketbook when she was a teenager, and felt uneasy answering that question. So I do think there are many variables with polygraphs.
She' eventually worked with the police throughout Arizona, and still does in some capacity.

Maybe their thought was: we'll put key under rock close by, because --
--- if one of us gets tired, thirsty, what-ev, and wants to return first, he/she will have access, no matter which one of us it is, and the other can walk around a bit longer.
--it might easily fall out of pocket/off the tether on pack/what-ev., and it would be hard to find on the trail.

Just possibilities, bound to be more. Sorry if already covered
I read somewhere that they put the key under the rock specifically so each would know it was there. Almost like they expected to not arrive back at the camper together.

I have been visiting this site for years because it seems to be the quickest way to get updates but I never have anything to add so .... don't. But I can't hold back any longer! :)

There are A LOT of people that get really stuck on the idea that "I would never do that" and so everything/one seems to be more suspicious or nefarious. I cannot count the times I've looked at how a person went missing and have done the EXACT same thing they were doing when they disappeared. I felt it was time to speak up on this case because nothing (to me) sounds as weird as ppl are making it out to be.

If you love the desert, as do I and apparently this couple, none of their actions are odd. I have done everything they have done countless times, even being someone who is usually "ms. safety." My husband and I love driving around the desert (in the summer) and stopping random places to get out and wander around ("hike") to take pictures or look at something cool we saw from the road, with no supplies, in whatever clothing we're wearing (many times a swimsuit), and especially with a cold beer in hand (you're on vacation). If you don't think ppl are going to be hanging on every detail of your activities and you don't have children or pets with you, it's surprising how "chill" you get about basic safety like keys/lots of water/sun cover/etc. And yeah, it's uncommon to be snatched without noise or some signs of struggle, but people suck and sometimes you cross paths with those sucky people. I might not pack water (or even a cell phone if there is limited service and I'm not going far) but I usually always carry pepper spray or a knife because I am often reminded of how bad some people are. I could totally see someone checking out their truck or trailer (because it'd be obvious nobody was around if it was that hot and nothing was running) and she wasn't paying attention when walking back to the truck. Him bringing up what she was wearing over and over when being interviewed? Because he probably knows that men can be nasty and I'm sure he's had to deal with her getting unwanted attention for a long time. And him covering his mouth? He looked like he just had dry mouth... maybe he took something to help calm his nerves. It happens.

As for the husband not calling her family? I totally understand why - given the limited info I have. If my best friend or husband or whoever went missing while we were out in the middle of nowhere, I'd freak out. I would call the police and probably call my family to cry and vent and scream, but I would have a REALLY hard time calling their family until I knew something was wrong for sure. Once you make that call to someone that their mother is missing, or their child disappeared, or whatever.... their life is CHANGED. It would be a difficult call to make if he thought she'd be found quickly, and probably wanted to wait until he was sure she wasn't anywhere near that area. By the time he was sure she wasn't there, he probably wasn't able to call. Regardless of the relationship he has with her son, he knows her son would turn his life upside down to help find his mom. It might look like denial, but hindsight is always 20/20 and people never want to consider that the worst-case scenario is their reality when things happen to those they love.

Anyways - long rant and this situation could end up a million different ways, but a lot of these ppl aren't doing anything wrong, even if it isn't something you guys would normally do.

29 pages into this thread and I'm still confused as to why'd you be drinking beer while hiking through a desert with 100+ degree temperatures, jmo.

I don't drink beer. But lots and lots of 'river rats' (people who live near the Colorado River or use it as their prime source of recreation) drink beer out there. It's the beverage of choice, along with water. Why not? People go out there to have fun, collect rocks, watch the river, get tan, bbq, etc. It's a whole lifestyle.

100-105 is not hot to those of us who go out that way. 105 would be hot inside my house (yikes!) but I wouldn't change my own drinking/walking habits at a mere 105F. I do start to wilt a little, but I know how to hydrate myself.

I think husband knows it wasn't a snakebite or similar because a) she would have come back to him immediately - they weren't that far apart, the entire length of their hike was apparently 1 mile; and b) snake bites do not instantly kill, not at all; and c) she would have stayed near the camper, most likely yelling in pain and calling for him.

Mountain lion? Really unlikely out there. Person passing on the road they parked near? More common than mountain lion. To put this in perspective, on a Friday, thousands of people head out that way, trying to find wide spots on the road to camp. Think "Burning Man" but with way more retirees (although tons of young people - I have friends who once considered keeping up their weekend jaunts to the River despite having a newborn...they went just one time, but they eventually broke up over his intense need to be on the River every weekend and her need to take care of Baby).

The people who move out that way in Arizona go there for the party atmosphere and spend their time between Vegas/Laughlin and the River, IMO.

I read somewhere that they put the key under the rock specifically so each would know it was there. Almost like they expected to not arrive back at the camper together.

It sounds like exploring was kind of their thing. She liked to collect rocks and he likes to take pictures of things, so it might not be unusual for them to split up a little on their walks and arrive back at different times.

On the hike vs walk issue, those are words I always struggle with in usage. At least, speaking for myself, I often use them synonymously.

I take dedicated, extended walks for exercise, and often walk in hills on well-maintained dirt fire roads in natural terrain. So, if I’m telling someone about it, I’m never sure what fits better: I took a “hike” or a “walk”. I wear the same clothes (generally shorts and a tee, trail runner shoes, and a hat) whether I’m walking paved areas, or dirt paths.

I do carry a water bottle with me (never a beer). Ha! ;)

Attempting to summarize what has been reported so far..

Search underway for lost hiker in Mojave Desert
2:30pm reported time - black bikini, red hat, boots/socks. No supplies or cellphones - she walked ahead when he stopped to take a picture.
69-year-old Arizona woman missing after hiking in Mojave Desert
They were about 20 miles north of Interstate 40, east of Kelbaker Road.

Thomas was last seen wearing a black bikini, a red baseball cap, and tan hiking boots.
The search for 69-year-old Barbara Thomas is continuing In the area of Kelbaker/ Hidden Hills near ... from SBSD - Colorado River Sheriffs Department : Nixle

Barbara Thomas, 69 years old, resident of Bullhead City, Az.
5'9, 130 lbs., Blonde hair, Green eyes
Last seen wearing a black bikini, a red baseball cap and tan hiking boots with black socks

UPDATE #2:
The search is moving into the third day for Barbara Thomas in the Mohave desert. Barbara was last seen in the area of Kelbaker / Hidden Hills near the I-40. The search involves numerous Search & Rescue members, deputies, K9’s, Sheriff’s Aviation(helicopter) and Park Rangers.

There have been no sightings of her at this time. The temperatures today hovered around 104 degrees.

Hiker Wearing Bikini Disappears in Southern California's Sweltering Mojave Desert

Bikini-Clad 69-Year-Old Woman Missing After Hiking in Mojave Desert Amid Heatwave

Arizona woman missing in California's Mojave Desert

Woman, 69, missing in Mojave with no supplies or cellphone and wearing only a bikini
Cat L. Smith
First report of shorts

upload_2019-7-16_1-26-9-png.193628

Woman missing from Mojave Desert

Husband thinks she was taken (first report of this that I have found)

Search for woman, 69, missing in Mojave Desert after separated from husband while hiking in bikini | Daily Mail Online
Bikini-clad woman, 69, reported missing after hiking in Mojave Desert in California amid heatwave
Still searching Tuesday
#100 - page 5- family member (unverified)
#124 - page 7 - another post by family member as above
#134-136
#546 - page 28

69-year-old bikini-clad woman missing in Mojave Desert – San Bernardino Sun
Woman Goes Missing Without Supplies in Mojave Desert Amid High Temperatures
Thomas’ husband told KTNV that they took their trailer to the desert for the weekend. They were close to the RV when Robert stopped to take a picture.

“By the time I took the picture she was continuing on because she wanted to get to the RV,” he said. “And she rounded the corner and I lost sight of her.”

He suspects something happened when she crossed a highway. “My feeling is that she was picked up because she had to cross a highway. She was wearing a bikini and she had a beer in her hand.”

He said she may be in the Las Vegas area.

Search continues for missing Bullhead City woman
Search for bikini-clad woman in Mojave Desert expands with off-road vehicles

Desert Mines & Mills
July 16
July 16th - The search for Barbara Thomas, age 69, is continuing in the area of Kelbaker/ Hidden ... from SBSD - Colorado River Sheriffs Department : Nixle

Husband of Woman Who Vanished During Mojave Desert Hike: 'I Just Want Her Back'
Husband takes a lie detector test

San Bernardino County Sheriff on Twitter
Volunteers and off-road vehicles join hunt for bikini-clad 69-year-old 'abducted' in Mojave Desert | Daily Mail Online

July 17th - The search for Barbara Thomas, age 69, is continuing in the area of Kelbaker/ Hidden ... from SBSD - Colorado River Sheriffs Department : Nixle

Arizona Woman, 69, Missing for 5 Days in the Mojave Desert After Going Hiking with Husband
Roadside Camping - Mojave National Preserve (U.S. National Park Service)

Map:
https://www.nps.gov/moja/planyourvisit/upload/MOJAmap1.pdf

Last edited:
OK they searched for her from the point she left him to their camper. What about searching the opposite way from their camper, going away from it the other way! She didn't go in the camper, he wasn't back yet, so she could have crossed on the other side of the camper and gone wondering that way. She seemed to have an obession of looking for rocks. <husband >road crossing>camper>beyond camper other side!!

Last edited:

@ClaireNC - shorts were in a facebook story - I posted the link on the summary post - #618 - trying to gather the known information so far from MSM. The shorts vs. bikini bothered me too. Not sure we will find that out for sure. JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member