CA CA - Barbara Thomas, 69, from Bullhead City AZ, disappeared in Mojave desert, 12 July 2019 #11

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
But If this money is in a joint bank account, then that becomes a moot point at this time.

That money can be moved and spent.
No - forensic accountants connect all those dots and he would have to cough it back up. It's 100% her money, and the money of whomever she wills it to.

Amateur opinion and speculation

No - forensic accountants connect all those dots and he would have to cough it back up. It's 100% her money, and the money of whomever she wills it to.

I said “at this time.”

You said “...cough it back up.”

Meaning he could spend this money at this very moment, which was my point.

I’m not worried about the future, I’m talking about now.

I said “at this time.”

You said “...cough it back up.”

Meaning he could spend this money at this very moment, which was my point.

I’m not worried about the future, I’m talking about now.
I think we are saying essentially the same thing.
Let's say BT did not safeguard her inheritance funds, didn't keep them separate, but put them in a joint account for them both to dip in to. You are right. Anything he spends there would "probably" be hard to retrieve, but a good attorney would try. (Make him sell other assets to repay what he took from her fund). Now, if she has a separate account he has somehow accessed, that's a whole other story. The real test is whether she has a will, a trust, and who is named. It will be complex, no doubt, and could be contested.

<modsnip: quoted post was removed>

We don't know the full extent of the resources the SBCSO has utilized. In the Tyler Davis case, LE did not initially disclose till today that multiple agencies were involved including, but not limited to:

Drone teams;
DOJ digital forensics;
Non profit organizations;
Dive teams.

RT may be aware of these efforts or he may not be. We simply don't know.

Last edited by a moderator:

It's not just a matter of a will. If you have inherited money, you can easily move it into a jointly owned account if you choose to do so, or simply give some of the money directly to a spouse or other family member for them to use as they like.

For example, I inherited money from a relative (through a will) and I chose to put some of it into a joint account with my husband. If I disappeared, he could draw on that account. He'd need a death certificate, though, to remove my name from the account. Same thing with our joint checking and savings.

I don't know what would happen if he were suspected of doing away with me, though...

I have also chosen to give some of my inherited money to various other family members. Barbara could have done the same.

One thing I wonder about is whether Barbara was comfortable managing her inherited money by herself, or if she preferred for someone else to do it. With a lot of money involved, she might have hired a wealth management firm or financial advisor. Another possibility is that she let RT manage her money, if he is experienced with investments and money management.

It's not just a matter of a will. If you have inherited money, you can easily move it into a jointly owned account if you choose to do so, or simply give some of the money directly to a spouse or other family member for them to use as they like.

For example, I inherited money from a relative (through a will) and I chose to put some of it into a joint account with my husband. If I disappeared, he could draw on that account. He'd need a death certificate, though, to remove my name from the account. Same thing with our joint checking and savings.

I don't know what would happen if he were suspected of doing away with me, though...

I have also chosen to give some of my inherited money to various other family members. Barbara could have done the same.

One thing I wonder about is whether Barbara was comfortable managing her inherited money by herself, or if she preferred for someone else to do it. With a lot of money involved, she might have hired a wealth management firm or financial advisor. Another possibility is that she let RT manage her money, if he is experienced with investments and money management.
Yes. You will see my second response to Massguy states your position as well. Agree.

<modsnip: quoted post was removed>

Well, we know he talked it up on media at first, and we have no idea what is going on behind the scenes now...or not. We don’t know. I think it’s fair to say there are no publicly visible signs of ongoing efforts. But again, that doesn’t mean there aren’t.

Amateur speculation and opinion

Last edited by a moderator:
I think we are saying essentially the same thing.
Let's say BT did not safeguard her inheritance funds, didn't keep them separate, but put them in a joint account for them both to dip in to. You are right. Anything he spends there would "probably" be hard to retrieve, but a good attorney would try. (Make him sell other assets to repay what he took from her fund). Now, if she has a separate account he has somehow accessed, that's a whole other story. The real test is whether she has a will, a trust, and who is named. It will be complex, no doubt, and could be contested.

BBM I have my inheritance in 3 different accounts. They are all joint accounts in both my husband's and my name. Once those accounts are in his name as well as mine they are no longer considered my fund. IDK how any attorney could claim otherwise but I could be wrong.

@rosesfromangels -- I had to look up forensic accountants, interesting. I gather they could be involved if there is a dispute about a missing or deceased person's assets or will, or if there is evidence a crime has been committed.

What Is a Forensic Accountant?
Yep. Worth their weight in gold, and an attorney’s secret sauce.

If she commingled her inherited cash with his, and didn't have a will, then I think he can spend it freely.

Especially if she is just missing and not declared deceased.

If they do find her remains,and if she does not have a formal will, then it will be very hard to untangle the assets, if she has commingled them with his.

Last edited:
Well, we know he talked it up on media at first, and we have no idea what is going on behind the scenes now...or not. We don’t know. I think it’s fair to say there are no publicly visible signs of ongoing efforts. But again, that doesn’t mean there aren’t.

Amateur speculation and opinion

If there are no 'publicly visible signs' of ongoing efforts, then what kind of efforts are being made in a missing person case?

It seems like the public is the key to help find someone who is lost or taken, right? JMO

What exactly do people expect to be gained by offering a reward in this case?

I'm not sure anyone is directly suggesting that a reward be offered, but I could be wrong.

It would be wonderful to see flyers printed and posted. It would be wonderful for the missing person's loved one(s) to make public appeals for help. It would be wonderful to hear that a private investigator has been hired to search for the missing person. It would be wonderful to hear that donations have been made to the involved SAR groups. It would be wonderful to hear that a reward was offered, but that doesn't always happen.

All that takes effort on the part of the missing person's loved one(s) and it takes money. It also means someone's got to go public.

All this is JMO.

BBM I have my inheritance in 3 different accounts. They are all joint accounts in both my husband's and my name. Once those accounts are in his name as well as mine they are no longer considered my fund. IDK how any attorney could claim otherwise but I could be wrong.
I don’t want to take the thread in to a rat hole. Your situation is very different than what is being discussed here. An attorney would look at whether there was coercion, whether the missing party had conflicting instructions for the estate, whether they were of sound mind and so forth. It’s very complicated, and each case is different. That’s why the folks who sort these matters out get paid the big bucks. : )

I don’t want to take the thread in to a rat hole. Your situation is very different than what is being discussed here. An attorney would look at whether there was coercion, whether the missing party had conflicting instructions for the estate, whether they were of sound mind and so forth. It’s very complicated, and each case is different. That’s why the folks who sort these matters out get paid the big bucks. : )

Right, that's all true.

But I think the point being made is that IF she had already commingled her funds with his, and had much of it in joint accounts, then it could be a motive for him to do away with her. JMO

If there are no 'publicly visible signs' of ongoing efforts, then what kind of efforts are being made in a missing person case?

It seems like the public is the key to help find someone who is lost or taken, right? JMO
You would think so. However, for all we know, there are negotiations we are unaware of, or police work that is not appropriate for public knowledge.

My experience on these threads tells me when LE goes silent they absolutely know what happened, and are working on proving it.

You would think so. However, for all we know, there are negotiations we are unaware of, or police work that is not appropriate for public knowledge.

My experience on these threads tells me when LE goes silent they absolutely know what happened, and are working on proving it.

As to the bolded, SOMETIMES that is true.

But in my experience, other times, it means the case has grown cold. Or worse, they have no clue, no leads and no idea what happened.

JMO

Right, that's all true.

But I think the point being made is that IF she had already commingled her funds with his, and had much of it in joint accounts, then it could be a motive for him to do away with her. JMO
That could certainly be perceived as a motive, yes, depending on the timing of access to funds. If this has been the arrangement for ten plus years, then not as likely. This is where that financial trail is important.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member