CA CA - Barbara Thomas, 69, from Bullhead City AZ, disappeared in Mojave desert, 12 July 2019 #11

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
RT never gave an interview to Inside Edition. Inside Edition acquired video from KNLV (Las Vegas news station). The reporter who hosted the piece did not even go to the Mojave, but did put in an introduction that was then used with the video acquired by the LV news station.

Just clarifying that RT has given only one interview (at his own home, inside and outside) to one reporter. You can contact Inside Edition, as I did, if you want more clarification. I also confirmed this with the Las Vegas news people.
U are Awesome !

=
Oddly, or not so oddly (if one doesn’t trust the media), Inside Edition claimed they conducted the interview with Rob.

In an interview with Inside Edition, Robert Thomas said he believes someone took Barbara when he lost sight of her during their hike.

"If anyone has her, I would just beg that they would release her, no questions asked," he said, becoming emotional. "I just want her back ...."

Husband of Woman Who Vanished During Mojave Desert Hike: 'I Just Want Her Back'

Yes, I realize that media keep reporting that "Inside Edition" conducted the interview. But they didn't. Unless of course they could get their camera into the scene at precisely the same angle as the Las Vegas reporter and they could get their reporter to stand in the same exact spot as that reporter.

If you look at the Inside Edition report carefully, you'll see that they never claim they were actually there. Or that they conducted the interview. Nor is anyone shown holding a mic. The LV reporter who did arrive at RT's house (Leah P). filed the story and her news station (understandably) sold the footage to Inside Edition. Inside Edition does little to know actual "reporting." They bracket stories and film introductions.

Those exact words (the ones you quoted) were spoken to Leah. So unless RT is actually a robot and can utter precisely the same words with precisely the same inflection while standing at the same time of day next to his RV, looking at exactly the same angle, it would be amazing. It led some here to theorize that RT had made up his story (because they really thought he managed to do the same exact interview twice).

But the LV station is affiliated with the same network as Inside Edition and I was told explicitly that the footage was sold to IE. Then, they gave it national visibility and framed it with an in studio host and an apparent "on scene" post. But if you believe that reporter is actually standing in the Mojave or anywhere near RT's house, I have a bridge to sell you.

Verifying such stories is part of what I do. Everyone was quite forthcoming with me (after checking with their bosses) about how the story was constructed.

It was one interview, not two. RT is not producing the exact same words on cue, standing in exactly the same position for two interviews.

U are Awesome !

Thank you! It is just part of doing anthropology, though. We don't report on things, but we do "study" reporters, who are usually gracious enough to explain what they're up to. They can't reveal their sources, but they sure can talk about the business of media (which is one of my current interests). It helps that I was also a journalist in the past, I get the way the "wire" works and how stories spread quickly.

All the credit goes to Leah, though, who thought to go to RT's house and draw him out. He might not have known it would go national at that point (she didn't). I was thinking the interior scene was shot somewhere else (in order to make sense of there being two reports), but Leah did all of it - she was inside RT's house, where he showed her the love notes. It makes sense, too, since it's well known that people (especially men) are more likely to open up emotionally to women, especially younger women. At least it's well known in journalistic training.

=

Yes, I realize that media keep reporting that "Inside Edition" conducted the interview. But they didn't. Unless of course they could get their camera into the scene at precisely the same angle as the Las Vegas reporter and they could get their reporter to stand in the same exact spot as that reporter.

If you look at the Inside Edition report carefully, you'll see that they never claim they were actually there. Or that they conducted the interview. Nor is anyone shown holding a mic. The LV reporter who did arrive at RT's house (Leah P). filed the story and her news station (understandably) sold the footage to Inside Edition. Inside Edition does little to know actual "reporting." They bracket stories and film introductions.

Those exact words (the ones you quoted) were spoken to Leah. So unless RT is actually a robot and can utter precisely the same words with precisely the same inflection while standing at the same time of day next to his RV, looking at exactly the same angle, it would be amazing. It led some here to theorize that RT had made up his story (because they really thought he managed to do the same exact interview twice).

But the LV station is affiliated with the same network as Inside Edition and I was told explicitly that the footage was sold to IE. Then, they gave it national visibility and framed it with an in studio host and an apparent "on scene" post. But if you believe that reporter is actually standing in the Mojave or anywhere near RT's house, I have a bridge to sell you.

Verifying such stories is part of what I do. Everyone was quite forthcoming with me (after checking with their bosses) about how the story was constructed.

It was one interview, not two. RT is not producing the exact same words on cue, standing in exactly the same position for two interviews.

I’m not disputing that. I’m merely pointing out that Inside Edition itself, explicitly claims that they were the ones who interviewed Rob.

I mean, I don’t know any other way to interpret “In an interview with Inside Edition.”

Clearly that’s misleading on their part.

Another thing to keep in mind is that more than 40 percent would be taxed, so even it it was over a million dollars, after inheritance taxes it would be significantly less.

Imo

May not have any relevance, but I do not think this is true. Neither Arizona nor California have an estate tax, and federal estate tax has an exemption up to $11 million dollars. The only possible tax she might owe, IMO, is if the state her mother lived in has an inheritance tax.

May not have any relevance, but I do not think this is true. Neither Arizona nor California have an estate tax, and federal estate tax has an exemption up to $11 million dollars. The only possible tax she might owe, IMO, is if the state her mother lived in has an inheritance tax.

It also depends on how the money was left. In taxable, cost basis would reset for something like stocks and very little in tax would be owed. IRA? She'd be looking at huge required distributions at her age (if the amount was right) which would be at normal income tax rates. Savings bonds, unless the person who bought them paid taxes as they went along (which almost nobody does), the person inheriting the bonds would be on the hook for all of it.

All this is separate from the issue of estate taxation.

RT never gave an interview to Inside Edition. Inside Edition acquired video from KNLV (Las Vegas news station). The reporter who hosted the piece did not even go to the Mojave, but did put in an introduction that was then used with the video acquired by the LV news station.

Just clarifying that RT has given only one interview (at his own home, inside and outside) to one reporter. You can contact Inside Edition, as I did, if you want more clarification. I also confirmed this with the Las Vegas news people.

Okay.
Here's the interview that aired on Inside Edition:

I wasn't standing in RT's living room when the interview happened, so I don't know which reporter interviewed him, or how many interviews he gave that day.

So, in the interest of factual accuracy, I'll gladly amend my earlier post:

In an interview that aired on Inside Edition on July 17th, RT explained to everyone that the only scenario that makes sense if that she's been abducted because, "she WAS wearing a bikini, and she had a beer in her hand, and she was ahead of me, and she had to cross that road" ergo, someone must have taken her.

RT also stated that LE considers him the prime suspect, and that LE told him his polygraph showed he was being deceptive, but not to worry, on account of he "knows they aren't 100%" and he "hadn't slept the night before."

Personally, I don't care if RT said it one time or if he said it a hundred times.

The point is, these are RT's words.
On camera.
MSM sourced.

JMO.

Yes, that's what I mean. The VI heard the information, but was unable to verify it and never saw any evidence himself, and then passed on that information.
To be allowed in court, I would imagine some sort of proof or documents would be needed.
Not only that, but we have no way to know when the money was inherited, how long she had it, what she spent it on, or how much is left. As far as we know it could be all gone.

Another thing to keep in mind is that more than 40 percent would be taxed, so even it it was over a million dollars, after inheritance taxes it would be significantly less.

Imo

Praying hard she is found soon.

MOO

Okay.
In an interview that aired on Inside Edition on July 17th, RT explained to everyone that the only scenario that makes sense if that she's been abducted because, "she WAS wearing a bikini, and she had a beer in her hand, and she was ahead of me, and she had to cross that road" ergo, someone must have taken her.

Which makes no sense.

Sadly it is not the only time that a family member has done mental gymnastics to keep hope alive. Look at Noreen Gosch.

Thank you! It is just part of doing anthropology, though. We don't report on things, but we do "study" reporters, who are usually gracious enough to explain what they're up to. They can't reveal their sources, but they sure can talk about the business of media (which is one of my current interests). It helps that I was also a journalist in the past, I get the way the "wire" works and how stories spread quickly.

All the credit goes to Leah, though, who thought to go to RT's house and draw him out. He might not have known it would go national at that point (she didn't). I was thinking the interior scene was shot somewhere else (in order to make sense of there being two reports), but Leah did all of it - she was inside RT's house, where he showed her the love notes. It makes sense, too, since it's well known that people (especially men) are more likely to open up emotionally to women, especially younger women. At least it's well known in journalistic training.
Journalistic Back Ground
Very impressive .. Thank You

Last edited:
Inheritance? How Much? Who Received? Does It Matter?
Here is what the VI said about the alleged inheritance.
The inheritance information seems to have come from the estranged brother. I'm assuming the information was given to the VI's father who then gave it to the VI although it's possible from the vague wording of the post that the VI got it directly from his uncle.
Is it true that BT got a large inheritance? With only this post to go on I would say it's not a fact until there is something that corroborates it. JMO
CA - CA - Barbara Thomas, 69, from Bullhead City AZ, disappeared in Mojave desert, 12 July 2019 #10

@RANCH and others :)
I doubt if following the inheritance info trail back to the source - BT's Mother's estate* - will prove helpful in resolving the question of BT's disappearance. The inheritance of whatever size BT received from her mother may or may not still be 'intact' as such (e.g., as BT's separate a/c's and property); much or all of it may have all been spent on routine living expenses over the years.

Anticipating receipt of nearly any amt of money - $10,000, $100,000 or $1,000,000 - on the death of a person can serve as a motive to someone to be involved in the death of that person.
jmo
-------------------------------------------
* Anyone interested w some basic info (e.g., a member of BT's fam?) could probably locate probate court records re BT's Mother's estate w inventories, orders of distribution, etc and learn $ amts, legatees' names, etc. But knowing $ amt and how that estate was divided is likely not germane imo to BT's disappearance. Re any estate, any family member have hard feelings initially or decades later about the estate division and can circulate misinformation unwittingly or deliberately.

I thought of Barbara and RT today while dh and I were at the supermarket. Dh was pushing the shopping cart as we moved past the yogurt section. I said aloud without looking at dh: “I think I’ll get some yogurt.” I heard him say something about wanting to buy some sandwich wraps bread, but I thought he was going to wait for me, first.
I took a few long seconds choosing the yogurt.

When I turned around, dh was not there. I checked the nearest aisle. Not there. I checked where wraps were. Not there. I ended up checking every darn aisle, and he wasn’t in any of them! So, I put the yogurt back and was thinking he must have already checked out somehow in unbelievably record time and I was prepared to go out to the car (yes, I was mad at him by this time, lol).

As I put the yogurt away, he emerged from the rear door of the store! He had decided he needed to use the store’s restroom. Grrr.

Anyway, sorry for my long, mundane story. Of course getting lost in the supermarket is nothing like getting lost in the desert, but it illustrated to me just how easy it can be to lose one another in such a short time. I hadn’t brought my phone with me, so I couldn’t text or call him, either.
I ditto that it can be easy to lose sight of one another in a very short period of time, as my husband has done the same thing yours did, and still does so, repeatedly. Once I was so peeved I had him called on a big box store's loudspeaker system..
I hope we hear from our VI soon, at least a little something from LE-please!

Alright, BT is not in the HK. That doesn't mean she couldn't have hopped transportation (whether it be via bus or a supportive friend) and took off to regions unknown.

It is possible.

No, it is NOT "Possible". Barbara Thomas is missing. There is no indication at all that she left voluntarily and has not contacted the police or her family.

I don't believe that Law enforcement has even considered this "possibility".

Tax on BT's Inheritance from Mother's Estate?
....Another thing to keep in mind is that more than 40 percent would be taxed, so even it it was over a million dollars, after inheritance taxes it would be significantly less. Imo
@MsBetsy :) sbm.

It would be helpful for ^ post to give a source & link supporting a basis for the 'imo.'

Specifically, the post is saying "more than 40 percent would be taxed." So post is saying (indirectly) a government entity was/is imposing a tax. What government? Fed, state, city? <--- which one? Or was it a foreign gov't taxing an offshore a/c? If that happened, somebody got bum-doped on legal or tax advice.
Where did the 40% figure originate?
And "over a million dollars" presumably as a bracket point/step?

Re the whole tax discussion, which I don't actually think is relevant, I just don't want to see wrong infomation put out there -- IMO we don't know how long ago BT's mother died nor how long ago she received the inheritance, which means we don't know what state BT was living in at the time.

Each state has their own rules about estate tax and inheritance tax. And the rules in place today might or might not have been the rules in place at the time.

State income tax is separate and IMO not applicable.

* Anyone interested w some basic info (e.g., a member of BT's fam?) could probably locate probate court records re BT's Mother's estate w inventories, orders of distribution, etc and learn $ amts, legatees' names, etc. But knowing $ amt and how that estate was divided is likely not germane imo to BT's disappearance.

*Clark County online probate records not currently available! DOD Aug 2009, and record cut-off July 2009 "until next update."

Seattle1 posted at post 839:
*Clark County online probate records not currently available! DOD Aug 2009, and record cut-off July 2009 "until next update."
----------------------------------------------------
In my earlier post, did not intend to prompt anyone here to check probate records re BT's Mother's estate, or to post info from them.
Just saying if anyone in BT's family (like VI, @dbdb11) wanted more info, it may be available. And still thinking that info is not particularly relevant now to finding BT.
jmo.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads