CA CA - Barbara Thomas, 69, from Bullhead City AZ, disappeared in Mojave desert, 12 July 2019 #12

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
"What was your intended destination that day? How long a trip were the two of you originally intending to take?"

"What stops did you make along the way that day, and how long were you at those other locations?"

"How much time was there between when you last saw her to to when you placed the 911 call?"

"Did you contact any friends or family in the aftermath of her disappearance to ask if any of them had seen or heard from her? If not, why not?"

"Since her disappearance, what efforts have you personally made to find her, e.g., putting up missing posters, requesting private searches by drones, coordinating private searches, hiring a private detective, etc.?"

"How often have you contacted LE to ask about updates/progress in the case? What have they told you?"

***To be clear: I ain't holding my breath waiting for RT to answer to any of these questions, on account of, he's not going to answer these or any other questions. So there's that.

Last edited:
"What was the intended destination that day? How long a trip were the two of you originally intending to take?"

"What stops did you make along the way that day, and how long were you at those other locations?"

"How much time was there between when you last saw her to to when you placed the 911 call?"

"Did you contact any friends or family in the aftermath of her disappearance to ask if any of them had seen or heard from her? If not, why not?"

"Since her disappearance, what efforts have you personally made to find her, e.g., putting up missing posters, requesting private searches by drones, coordinating private searches, hiring a private detective, etc.?"

"How often have you contacted LE to ask about updates/progress in the case? What have they told you?"

*To be Clear: Not holding my breath waiting for answers to any of these.

Just came across this case for the first time. Appears as if there’s been no progress. How is this possible?

Just came across this case for the first time. Appears as if there’s been no progress. How is this possible?

BBM:

Welcome, tacosandkayaks! Glad to have you joining our discussion!

Fresh eyes are most welcome on this case…as you're new to this case, it would be really helpful to get your initial thoughts and impressions.

In (partial) answer to your question, I think some reasons for the perceived lack of progress include the following:
  • Purported Location of BT's disappearance. BT allegedly disappeared in the middle of a vast, unpopulated desert full of abandoned/deserted mines, caves, crevasses, etc.
  • Lack of Physical Evidence. LE searched for BT in and around the location her husband reported she went missing, at the conclusion of which LE came out publicly and stated they had found 0 signs of BT having been there.
  • Lack of Electronic/Digital evidence. BT did not have a cell phone with her when she went missing, which means LE was unable to trace her electronic footprints. We don't know whether or not RT had his phone on that entire day…if so, his movements can and no doubt have been tracked by LE.
  • Lack of Eyewitnesses. Only 2 people allegedly went into the desert that day. RT and BT. Last independent sighting of BT was reportedly by a neighbor as they were leaving their house that morning.
  • Perception vs. Reality. While it appears as though there's been no progress in BT's case, the SBSCO is notoriously tight-lipped. There have likely been numerous investigative avenues being explored behind the scenes of which the public is unaware.
JMO.

Last edited:
BBM:

Welcome, tacosandkayaks! Glad to have you joining our discussion!

Fresh eyes are most welcome on this case…as you're new to this case, it would be really helpful to get your initial thoughts and impressions.

In (partial) answer to your question, I think some reasons for the perceived lack of progress include the following:
  • Purported location of BT's disappearance. BT allegedly disappeared in the middle of a vast, unpopulated desert full of abandoned/deserted mines, caves, crevasses, etc.
  • Lack of evidence. LE searched for BT in and around the location her husband reported she went missing, at the conclusion of which LE came out publicly and stated they had found 0 signs of BT having been there.
  • Lack of electronic/digital evidence. BT did not have a cell phone with her when she went missing, which means LE was unable to trace her electronic footprints. We don't know whether or not RT had his phone on that entire day…if so, his movements can and no doubt have been tracked by LE.
  • Lack of witnesses. Only 2 people allegedly went into the desert that day. RT and BT. Last independent sighting of BT was reportedly by a neighbor as they were leaving their house that morning.
  • Perception vs. reality. While it appears as though there's been no progress in BT's case, the SBSCO is notoriously tight-lipped. There have likely been numerous investigative avenues being explored behind the scenes of which the public is being kept in the dark.
JMO.

@GordianKnot, thanks for this excellent summary.

@tacosandkayaking and others new to the case may also want to check out the media/maps/timeline thread, which has no discussion but contains links to articles and other info relevant to the case.

AZ - AZ - Barbara Thomas, 69, Timeline, Media, Maps, *NO DISCUSSION*

Also, another new investigation is underway on remains found last week in Joshua Tree National Park:

"San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department deputies found human skeletal remains in Joshua Tree National Park last week, according to a release issued by SBCSD on Monday.

The remains, which have not been identified, were reported in a remote area of the park on January 16 at 11:11 a.m. A Morongo Basin deputy responded to the location and sent photographs of the remains to a Coroner's Bureau official, who confirmed that they were human.

Specialized Investigations Division detectives and Coroner Division investigators responded to the scene, and secured it for the night. On the 17th, the "partial skeletal remains" were retrieved thanks to a joint effort from Crime Scene Investigators, Homicide Detectives, Coroner Investigators, and the Sheriff's Aviation Unit..."

Human skeletal remains found in Joshua Tree National Park

Also, another new investigation is underway on remains found last week in Joshua Tree National Park:

"San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department deputies found human skeletal remains in Joshua Tree National Park last week, according to a release issued by SBCSD on Monday.

The remains, which have not been identified, were reported in a remote area of the park on January 16 at 11:11 a.m. A Morongo Basin deputy responded to the location and sent photographs of the remains to a Coroner's Bureau official, who confirmed that they were human.

Specialized Investigations Division detectives and Coroner Division investigators responded to the scene, and secured it for the night. On the 17th, the "partial skeletal remains" were retrieved thanks to a joint effort from Crime Scene Investigators, Homicide Detectives, Coroner Investigators, and the Sheriff's Aviation Unit..."

Noting time and distance: 85 miles, 1 hour, 20 min. (roughly)

Google Maps

Why did it take so long from the time you lost sight/track of her to when you decided to report her missing? What were you doing during all that time, considering how hot it was that time of day?

What kind of relationship did you and Barbara have?

If someone else told you the same story you’ve been telling, would you believe it?

Did you have life insurance on Barb? If so, how much?

Noting time and distance: 85 miles, 1 hour, 20 min. (roughly)

Google Maps

Yep. Both cases close.

But there are maybe dozens more as yet undiscovered bodies within that county and vicinity. I saw a woman on FB commenting on the Topock one that she hoped it wasn't her daughter from area who went missing late 2018.

At least someone is getting answers as to the loss of their loved one. I can’t imagine not knowing for the rest of their lives. Someone gets answers. IMO

Yep. Both cases close.

But there are maybe dozens more as yet undiscovered bodies within that county and vicinity. I saw a woman on FB commenting on the Topock one that she hoped it wasn't her daughter from area who went missing late 2018.
Graphic below :

I'm thinking the desert is a good way to dispose of someone. The decomp and animal predation would scatter everything unless they were fully clothed, in which case the bones would be more intact and connected ?
Agreed with above poster, at least someone may get answers !

Haven't checked out the FB page yet, on TOPOCK.
Eta; spelling.

Last edited:
Graphic below :

I'm thinking the desert is a good way to dispose of someone. The decomp and animal predation would scatter everything unless they were fully clothed, and then the bones would be more intact and connected ?

Haven't checked out the FB page yet, on Topcock.
Be careful to search Topock, not the way you spelled it. (Been there done that today)

Graphic below :

I'm thinking the desert is a good way to dispose of someone. The decomp and animal predation would scatter everything unless they were fully clothed, and then the bones would be more intact and connected ?

Haven't checked out the FB page yet, on Topcock.

I can't see the graphic -- I just see a white space. Not sure whether anyone else has that problem...

ETA: I didn't realize that LietKynes was giving a spoiler alert for something graphic (adj), not actually posting a graphic (noun).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member