CA CA - Barbara Thomas, 69, from Bullhead City AZ, disappeared in Mojave desert, 12 July 2019 #12

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I’ve been reading you all for a while and always astonished by the theories you’re able to put together. This case really got me and is the reason I gave in and signed up.

It’s perhaps a little late in the evolving narrative to spring in with this but for what it’s worth, I always wondered if the strange emphasis on her drinking beer was to point LE in direction of a specific item that had been prepared and left somewhere to be found. A bottle or cup with her prints on, an attempt to provide evidence that helped to place her at the scene.

Just a thought. I hope there’s a resolution to this case. Barbara deserves justice.

Hi, I’ve been reading you all for a while and always astonished by the theories you’re able to put together. This case really got me and is the reason I gave in and signed up.

It’s perhaps a little late in the evolving narrative to spring in with this but for what it’s worth, I always wondered if the strange emphasis on her drinking beer was to point LE in direction of a specific item that had been prepared and left somewhere to be found. A bottle or cup with her prints on, an attempt to provide evidence that helped to place her at the scene.

Just a thought. I hope there’s a resolution to this case. Barbara deserves justice.

Welcome to WS!

Welcome to WS! Glad to have you on the thread.
One thing I have learned over the past ten (! - boy that went fast) years on this forum, is to never say never. Just when you think you've got it figured out or heard it all....something unexpected!

That being said, I'm not detecting any subterfuge or misdirection in this case. I think the circumstances described are largely accurate, and poor Barb got turned around. The heat would have been enough to take anyone out, and most especially if she were confused (brought on by heat stroke), or had any underlying health issue.

I see this as yet another tragic desert heat stroke incident with a sad ending. There are too many of these.

Amateur opinion and speculation

IMO

Regarding the beer while enjoying a recreation activity, the VI shared pictures of BT having a beer while outdoors and made comments to support it was not unusual.

IMO

Regarding the beer while enjoying a recreation activity, the VI shared pictures of BT having a beer while outdoors and made comments to support it was not unusual.

Sure, and that would just make the item more plausible. It was the emphasis placed on the beer rather than the idea of her drinking beer that struck me as interesting. Felt like it was a small detail that was emphasised in an unusually excessive way. It’s a thought that stuck with me throughout from start to this point so just thought I’d mention it. Never sat right at the time and still doesn’t.

I’d usually err on side of most straightforward explanation but this case niggles in so many ways.

IMO

A picture taken and released almost immediately after her disappearance by RT.

And the VI also said that he didn't know for sure when it was taken - although he thought LE believed they had "something" from the same day.

Personally, I just don't trust the LE analysis of this case, but I'm feeling grumpy today. Most days, I have to say that given what we know, this is a wilderness misadventure - perhaps amped up by the emotional tenor of the couple's relationship that day.

Sure, and that would just make the item more plausible. It was the emphasis placed on the beer rather than the idea of her drinking beer that struck me as interesting. Felt like it was a small detail that was emphasised in an unusually excessive way. It’s a thought that stuck with me throughout from start to this point so just thought I’d mention it. Never sat right at the time and still doesn’t.

I’d usually err on side of most straightforward explanation but this case niggles in so many ways.

I think the "excessive"nature of it is that LE (once again) gave few facts; RT gave one known interview that was divided into parts and publicized heavily; his daughter gave one short interview by phone - never spoke again.

If Barbara hadn't been a nice looking almost-70 year old (a popular topic on MSM) with a bikini and a beer, we probably wouldn't be here today still discussing her case.

She's just one of so many who go missing. In this case, there's an obvious culprit (hot desert). But...we just don't know nor do I now hope to live long enough to see any more action on this case from LE.

The beer - look she really was here.
The bikini - adds layer of (thin) plausibility to the theory that an opportunistic abductor would decide she was a worthy target.

When I considered the idea that she might not have been there at all, those two elements stood out.

I think the "excessive"nature of it is that LE (once again) gave few facts; RT gave one known interview that was divided into parts and publicized heavily; his daughter gave one short interview by phone - never spoke again.

If Barbara hadn't been a nice looking almost-70 year old (a popular topic on MSM) with a bikini and a beer, we probably wouldn't be here today still discussing her case.

She's just one of so many who go missing. In this case, there's an obvious culprit (hot desert). But...we just don't know nor do I now hope to live long enough to see any more action on this case from LE.

agree with all of the above. Could have been media strategy. Another niggle is the idea that she’d wander far enough not to be found in searches, I guess. Especially as she’s described as an experienced hiker.

There’s a lot of “what are the chances eh?” across all possible theories with this one.

I’m hopeful still.. and you need to live long enough
IMO

Hard to believe we don’t have anything new to go forward on.

This week, a hiker missing in Mt. Baldy last winter was found deceased. A young couple that disappeared in May 2017 in Palm Desert Coachella area were found this week and three people were arrested for killing the couple. And a soldier who disappeared from Ft. Hood Texas in April of this year has probably had her remains found, just waiting for coroner confirmation.

So Barb’s case can be solved. We can find her remains wherever they are. All it takes it a hiker, biker, hunter or fisherman. Someone in an area not well traveled, someone in an area exploring, someone in an area trying to get through it, will come upon something they never expected to see. And bodies get discovered, then crimes get solved. I’m so hoping Barbara’s case get solved. IMO,MOO

A picture taken and released almost immediately after her disappearance by RT.

And the VI also said that he didn't know for sure when it was taken - although he thought LE believed they had "something" from the same day.

Personally, I just don't trust the LE analysis of this case, but I'm feeling grumpy today. Most days, I have to say that given what we know, this is a wilderness misadventure - perhaps amped up by the emotional tenor of the couple's relationship that day.

That picture but I was referring to the family pics the VI shared here themselves. IMO

agree with all of the above. Could have been media strategy. Another niggle is the idea that she’d wander far enough not to be found in searches, I guess. Especially as she’s described as an experienced hiker.

There’s a lot of “what are the chances eh?” across all possible theories with this one.
Do you have a link where she is an experienced hiker? Because she certainly wasn't dressed for the weather or terrain. Also, alcoholic drinks are not good for hiking in extreme heat. July 12th had extreme heat warnings, and I live about 20 odd miles from where she disappeared and it was slightly less than 120 at my place

IMO, the term experienced hiker is subjective and used loosely to describe someone, sometimes.

What does it even mean?

-Experienced & familiar with the area hiking and the climate - this, IMO, is just a snippet of being experienced.
-Experienced hiking when the weather changes on you, then all of a sudden familiar terrain looks completely different?
-Any first aid training?
-Land navigation experience including maps, gps or compass?
-Experience hiking alone?
-Experience sleeping overnight outdoors and the set up needed, including how to make a shelter or shelter to seek?
-Packing a proper backpack with the essentials (map, compass, matches, extra food, extra water, sunscreen, matches, first aid supplies, extra clothing, etc.) ?
-In the event of an ER, being prepared (PLB or cell phone as an example)?

The list goes on and crazy stories sometimes start off with "it was only a simple day hike".

IMO, there's also a difference between being experienced and being prepared. You can be both or just one or the other.

Do you have a link where she is an experienced hiker? Because she certainly wasn't dressed for the weather or terrain. Also, alcoholic drinks are not good for hiking in extreme heat. July 12th had extreme heat warnings, and I live about 20 odd miles from where she disappeared and it was slightly less than 120 at my place

I recall BT and her husband were in their RV, and reportedly frequently take short desert trips together. We know BT owns hiking boots but whether or not she's defined as an experienced hiker is probably up to the reader. In other words, I think the point by OP was that this was far from BT's first stop at a desert trail.

I don't recall if they'd been to this location before but I would not be surprised. Reports are she wasn't carrying a phone or any supplies. As far as a beer, I think this statement that BT likely crossed the road to the RV carrying a beer came from the husband, but it doesn't make it true.

I've long believed the statement BT was crossing the road to the RV, wearing a bikini, and carrying an (empty?) beer can served only to fit the husband's theory of BT getting picked up by somebody to explain how she vanished so close to the end of the trail. MOO

The only first hand account we have is from the single TV interview RT did, which will have been cut and edited. We have no idea what other details he has given to the police. Barbara's nephew was able to tell us something of her habits as background.

I'm not sure if everyone understands "hiking" in the same way. I'm British, and to us hiking means long-distance walking, over a whole day or multiple days. We would never describe a walk of a mile or two as hiking, which is all they seem to have done that day.

The only first hand account we have is from the single TV interview RT did, which will have been cut and edited. We have no idea what other details he has given to the police. Barbara's nephew was able to tell us something of her habits as background.

I'm not sure if everyone understands "hiking" in the same way. I'm British, and to us hiking means long-distance walking, over a whole day or multiple days. We would never describe a walk of a mile or two as hiking, which is all they seem to have done that day.
Most people I know consider hiking as travelling by foot through rugged terrain and walking is through easy terrain. Hiking trails are more strenuous than walking trails. When I was in Alaska, I thought of a nine mile trek on a dirt road to Haines, AK as a walk, and a 3 mile trek in Denali a "hike" due to the difficulty and wilderness. I would classify a trek through the Mojave Desert as a hike. It's enjoyable, but it can be very dangerous. Heat stroke, getting lost, and getting bit by a rattlesnake are all common occurrences especially in the middle of summer. I won't hike it any more unless it's under a 100 degrees.

The beer - look she really was here.
The bikini - adds layer of (thin) plausibility to the theory that an opportunistic abductor would decide she was a worthy target.

When I considered the idea that she might not have been there at all, those two elements stood out.
Oh I believe she was there and that there was evidence to support that.
I’m just not sure where she went missing from.

IMO

Yes...very true...somehow desert living and beer go hand in hand, and folks getting near to life's exit door often allow themselves extra privileges where time, place, and people are flexible to their choices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleutherine