Found Deceased CA - Barbara Thomas, 69, from Bullhead City AZ, disappeared in Mojave desert, 12 July 2019 #13

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
well, as someone who hiked out in that area looking for her, it was too hot to walk from her last reported sighting to essex. So the "maybe someone took her" theory comes into play. Her son didn't believe that theory per his interview. I hope the detectives have developed evidence over time. I am very sorry for her and her family. God bless you Barbara your life mattered.

A second article...

DEC 17, 2020
Missing woman's body found | News West Publishing (mohavedailynews.com)
[...]

The San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Department confirmed that a body found late last month is that of Barbara Thomas. ... The body was discovered Nov. 27 in the desert near Essex, California, the sheriff’s department said.

[...]

No additional information, including a cause of death or the condition of the body, was available Thursday night.

well, as someone who hiked out in that area looking for her, it was too hot to walk from her last reported sighting to essex. So the "maybe someone took her" theory comes into play. Her son didn't believe that theory per his interview. I hope the detectives have developed evidence over time. I am very sorry for her and her family. God bless you Barbara your life mattered.

I think there’s a misunderstanding of the general geography of the region.

The place where her husband said they parked the fifth wheel and took the walk is “in the desert near Essex.” The place that the newspaper says that her body was found is “in the desert near Essex.” All sorts of other places near and far could be described as “in the desert near Essex.” So none of us can have the slightest idea, yet, of whether it was possible for her to walk from her last reported sighting to where she was found.

I think people are speculating about the place where she may have been found because presumably if she fainted 20 feet from where she was last seen searchers would have seen her. We always question: was she missed in the search? Was she outside the search area? How can we search better next time?

When there is a big development but not much information, people still want to talk and process it while we wait.

I think people are speculating about the place where she may have been found because presumably if she fainted 20 feet from where she was last seen searchers would have seen her. We always question: was she missed in the search? Was she outside the search area? How can we search better next time?

When there is a big development but not much information, people still want to talk and process it while we wait.

So in this vein, I wonder if anyone has an opinion on what would be the distance of where she was found relative to where she was last reported seen that would make you change your mind regarding whether this was foul play vs just wandering and lost. If any experts or those with experience in these scorching hot desert climates want to weigh in, all the better.

Given the conditions, her reported attire, and her lack of water, I'm going to opine that if she was found outside of 8 miles from her last known location, it is more likely to be potential foul play. However, I'm not an expert, not at all.

So in this vein, I wonder if anyone has an opinion on what would be the distance of where she was found relative to where she was last reported seen that would make you change your mind regarding whether this was foul play vs just wandering and lost. If any experts or those with experience in these scorching hot desert climates want to weigh in, all the better.

Given the conditions, her reported attire, and her lack of water, I'm going to opine that if she was found outside of 8 miles from her last known location, it is more likely to be potential foul play. However, I'm not an expert, not at all.
Yes, I doubt she would have made it more than a mile or two from the trail if she was dehydrated or disoriented. Her body may have been easy to miss since she wearing a bikini. She may have been partially hidden by rocks or vegetation.

I wonder if they found her hat and the thermos she was carrying.

I think there’s a misunderstanding of the general geography of the region.

The place where her husband said they parked the fifth wheel and took the walk is “in the desert near Essex.” The place that the newspaper says that her body was found is “in the desert near Essex.” All sorts of other places near and far could be described as “in the desert near Essex.” So none of us can have the slightest idea, yet, of whether it was possible for her to walk from her last reported sighting to where she was found.
Yep- "Essex" is more like a region than a spot. The exact location and context will be important. I doubt she could have walked more than a few miles but I have read cases of people walking 10 or 20 miles; I would be persuaded to drop my previous opinion of lost if it were closer to the later.

Wow, Barbara has been found. Like most, I'm curious of the details including under what circumstances was she found (who, what were they doing, etc.) and where in relation to her LPS was she.

I do think a lost person can wander quiet a distance. When you realize you're lost, panic can exhaust energy faster, increase your heart rate, etc. I do think the heat most likely played a big role here. Perhaps she thought she was heading in the direction of the RV but sadly was not. I still think it's possible she was within the search area or just outside of it. IMO

Very sad and my condolences to all those who loved Barbara Thomas.

This quote sticks out to me. "The San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department began to pursue other leads in August 2019 after searches for her were unsuccessful"

I'm sure they received tips that included, as an example, a possible sightings of BT at X location after her picture circulated. I do think LE would have followed up on those. IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member