Found Deceased CA - Barbara Thomas, 69, from Bullhead City AZ, disappeared in Mojave desert, 12 July 2019 #13

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am very literal and like to be precise, so maybe it's just me, but if the remains were found in MNP I feel like they would say that rather than in the desert near Essex. While saying in the desert near Essex does not exclude MNP, it just isn't as exact. I also don't know who this information is coming from, so they might just be relaying the little bits and pieces they have and can only provide a very general description.
The only MSM reporter covering the recovery of BT thus far already clarified that the coroner would not confirm the location of body/remains when contacted but provided the news outlet will update their report when info is made available to them. Generally, the coroner/ME is responsible for determining the manner and cause of death.

Actually, from the beginning, the details of the missing person came from the husband, and law enforcement limited their missing person public reporting to the crossroads of Kellbaker Rd & Hidden Hills Rd (North of I-40) (per missing poster). SBCS office previously denied public information requests for the 911 call and/or the police report.

NAMUS reports Barb's last known location as San Bernadino County -- an area of more than 20,000 square miles!

In other words, I don't think there's any intentional omission or misleading information being reported at this time.

One more thing -- although the remains were located three weeks ago, there's been no press release or press conference by LE where one might expect more specific details. IMO, patience will be the order here.

barbaraflyer2a-jpg.201520

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

San Bernardino County, California - Wikipedia

AZ - Barbara Thomas, 69, Timeline, Media, Maps, *NO DISCUSSION*

AZ - Barbara Thomas, 69, Timeline, Media, Maps, *NO DISCUSSION*

Last edited:
Oh my goodness ! Just learning that Barbara was found. My condolences to her family and loved ones. May Barbara rest in peace.
Now, waiting to learn where exactly she was found in relation to where last seen by her husband. Precise location "in the desert near Essex" will have some ramifications on how she died.

Glad to hear she's been found and the uncertainty is finally over for her family; not the ending they wanted, I'm sure, but at least it's an ending and won't drag on for years to come. It'll be interesting to hear more info on exactly where she was found; I've always leaned towards the tragic accident side of things, but the location she was found at could drastically change my opinion...

Similar to what we would call it here, in Australia.

I'm still intrigued by the use of the word "hike".
In UK English, that usually describes something quite gruelling, a long-distance trek of many miles.
We would just call this (a mile there and a mile back) a walk - or even a stroll. :)
Truly our shared language throws up many anomalies!

It is, unfortunately.

Here's a link to the first upstream post declaring she was found; maybe you can start reading from here: Found Deceased - CA - Barbara Thomas, 69, from Bullhead City AZ, disappeared in Mojave desert, 12 July 2019 #13
You have my appreciation for providing the link. I wouldn’t have guessed that a discussion about Barbara being found was taking place. I’m so glad for all who loved her that this much has come to light and I hope soon they will learn much more.

How did they ID the body and how long did that take?
We don't know how much of the remains were found but if her skull was there they could have identified her through dental records. I'm guessing about 3 weeks to identify her.

According to Supervisor Jeff Lewison of the San Bernardino County Sheriff Coroner's Division, her body was located on November 27 of this year in the desert near Essex, California.
Remains of woman lost in Mojave Desert last year found

Barbara Thomas

True, MNP does have exact boundaries, & the desert near Essex doesn't. But I wasn't realizing just how vast the preserve is till I looked it up (about twice the size of Rhode Island!).

I've lived in southern California for the past 15 years and frequently hike in and travel through the desert. I am still blown away by the sheer expanse of it. :-) If I am not mistaken, San Bernardino County is larger than 9 US states! It's truly incredible. When people go missing out here it isn't surprising how difficult it can be to locate them and we aren't too surprised by how long it takes sometimes. Before I moved out here I never would have had any idea how immense the desert truly is and how sparsely populated. It is beautiful and fascinating but also dangerous. I always over prepare when venturing into the desert because you just never know. My husband is always like, "Do we really need all of this?"

How did they ID the body and how long did that take?

We don't know how much of the remains were found but if her skull was there they could have identified her through dental records. I'm guessing about 3 weeks to identify her.

According to Supervisor Jeff Lewison of the San Bernardino County Sheriff Coroner's Division, her body was located on November 27 of this year in the desert near Essex, California.
Remains of woman lost in Mojave Desert last year found

Barbara Thomas

Although BT's remains were reportedly located 11/27, there was no information about BT's recovery published until today. After all this time, I believe BT's positive identification was most likely by dental records and DNA.

We learned earlier that the Attorney General indicated that BT's dental records were in-fact available. As of this post, BT and this info is still listed in the OAG missing person databank.

Barbara Thomas

Last edited:
I've lived in southern California for the past 15 years and frequently hike in and travel through the desert. I am still blown away by the sheer expanse of it. :) If I am not mistaken, San Bernardino County is larger than 9 US states! It's truly incredible. When people go missing out here it isn't surprising how difficult it can be to locate them and we aren't too surprised by how long it takes sometimes. Before I moved out here I never would have had any idea how immense the desert truly is and how sparsely populated. It is beautiful and fascinating but also dangerous. I always over prepare when venturing into the desert because you just never know. My husband is always like, "Do we really need all of this?"
It's over 20000 square miles which is crazy. Biggest county in the US and is close to the size of West Virginia and bigger than NJ, Connecticut, Delaware and rhode Island combined. That's a huge area to look for a missing person even when you have an idea of where they got lost at

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member