CA CA - Barbara Thomas, 69, from Bullhead City AZ, disappeared in Mojave desert, 12 July 2019 #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is an amazing forum. I am so thankful for all of your thoughtfulness regarding my aunt Barbara. (She is married to my mom's brother.) I know her nephew is here as well. I am praying for your dad's health...I believe she was intending to fly out today to visit him. I'm so sad that isn't happening. We are still hoping and praying for answers in all of this! Keep thinking through every scenario, friends. It gives me hope.
Welcome, LaurieRaquel. Thank you so much for joining us and I'm very sorry for what your family is going through.

Maybe you are already aware of the process to become a verified insider, but if not, I hope you will consider it. Here is a link with more information:

Verification Process for Professional or Insider Posters

This is an amazing forum. I am so thankful for all of your thoughtfulness regarding my aunt Barbara. (She is married to my mom's brother.) I know her nephew is here as well. I am praying for your dad's health...I believe she was intending to fly out today to visit him. I'm so sad that isn't happening. We are still hoping and praying for answers in all of this! Keep thinking through every scenario, friends. It gives me hope.
Welcome LaurieRaquel!

It's really unlikely Barbara was attacked by a mountain lion. Mountain lions hunt when deers are most active, dusk to dawn. Having hit 5 deers on the highway at dusk, I'm now an frickin expert on when they are most active.
View attachment 194439
True, and one would expect to find some type of evidence of an attack, in that circumstance.

West Valley SAR on Twitter
One of our WVSAR team members, Margo Machen, is dual trained and also serves our county as a K9 Search Dog Handler. Here she is shown in video with other highly trained search personnel. San Bernardino County Sheriff on Twitter
3:13 PM - 17 Jul 2019

More about the SBCSO's search dog team: Search and Rescue Dogs

Thank you for posting this. I hold working dogs close to my heart for several reasons.

They are so eager with an incredible drive to search. They want to make that find, they want that reward. These are true partnerships, Handler/K9. It's meticulous work, with many variables. Sending good vibes their way.

ADMIN NOTE:

Speculative theories about possible drug involvement are not based on any known fact, and conspiracy theories are not allowed.

Also, the Herbal Life document was from an anonymous person 34 years ago. If LE hasn't busted the company in that length of time, there is probably zip to substantiate such an accusation by an anonymous tipster.

Move on from both those discussion please.

I guess the story of the key being under a rock is coming from Robert.

It makes no sense whatsoever that someone who would go for a 2 mile stroll "around the corner" would carry a sixpack of beer and other stuff, yet leaving the keys of this brand-new car and trailer under a rock, for anyone able to steal everything and leave these elderly with nothing, in the burning sun in 114C, not even water and the woman in bikini only.

I also think that Robert is pushing the Herbalife angle.

SFSBM

LE "Ah Ya judge he showed deception on a polygraph test we gave him" Judge "OK here is your warrant"

Ha! Yep, there IS that!

Wonder how long it will take them to get that info, if in fact RT and/or BT had cell phone(s).

I'm also wondering if the reason LE stated she didn't have a cell phone with her is that it was in the vehicle or RT had it on him.

I find it very hard to believe she didn't own a cell phone.

JMO.

Last edited:
I want to go back to the travel cup of beer or beer can or bottle that Barbara was last seen carrying.

If Barbara made it back to the RV I would expect the travel cup to be accounted for. Maybe on the step outside, in the vehicle etc. If she made it that far but didn't go inside I would think the travel cup would be around somewhere.

If she were abducted, I'm thinking the travel cup would have dropped near the road and it would have been found by now. This is the least likeliest scenario IMO.

If Barbara, fell off a rock and into a crevice, that mug should be somewhere. I don't think she'd be climbing rocks with a mug in her hand. I'd put it down, climb up and then come back down. If she fell between rocks or something, that mug should be somewhere visible unless, of course, it fell in along with her.

This travel mug should have been found by now if Barbara was anywhere in the vicinity carrying the travel mug. As each day passes, we keep hearing that "no sign of Barbara was found".

Where is that damn travel mug?

I'm having a hard time believing how this all went down, and the details, when that Travel Mug is nowhere to be seen. It's a small thing, but it bothers me. I feel like Columbo. I'm scratching my head and I'm focused on one small detail that isn't making sense.

MOO

Ha! Yep, there IS that!

Wonder how long it will take them to get that info, if in fact RT and/or BT had cell phone(s).

I'm also wondering if the reason LE stated she didn't have a cell phone with her is that it was in the vehicle or RT had it on him.

I find it very hard to believe she didn't have a cell phone.

JMO.
How did she Facetime the relative if she didn't have a cell phone??

Is there a photo/ map, by chance, that shows where he was standing in relationship to her position as she rounded the bend? (Oh and the camper spot? I’m not greedy!)

Was their camper, and “the bend” at/near a crossroad? What distance are we talking from his position to hers when last seen? A few hundred feet? A kilometer?

Another thought: I suppose this is an area that is somewhat common to hike. But that particular dirt road? Is it a road a trucker would take? Are there nearby cell towers that would have picked up specific pings?

He hasn’t reported a specific vehicle that was in the area at the time of her disappearance right? Again, is there a crossroad nearby? I suppose there could be a reasonable explanation why he would miss a vehicle passing...perhaps a vehicle was parked near their camper, and person was waiting there?

(Just rambling here, I’ve most likely missed these answers, feel free to scroll) :)

There aren’t any security cameras on those trails, correct?

We don’t know exactly where they parked when Barbara disappeared, but it appears to be within this one mile stretch of Kelbaker Rd: Google Maps

Coordinates:
Kelbaker and Hidden Hill Rd 34.7935010, -115.6097090
Granite Pass marker 34.8121536, -115.6096388

Kelbaker is a paved road. The area she went missing in is about 7 miles north of I-40. From Granite Pass going north, the closest paved road is about 6 miles away. The only other crossroads in the area are rough dirt roads. Not exactly something one would use to make a quick getaway.

The Mojave National Preserve is a pretty remote area. Not much tourist traffic during the summer. And certainly no security cameras on the trails. Mojave National Preserve (U.S. National Park Service)

I want to go back to the travel cup of beer or beer can or bottle that Barbara was last seen carrying.

If Barbara made it back to the RV I would expect the travel cup to be accounted for. Maybe on the step outside, in the vehicle etc. If she made it that far but didn't go inside I would think the travel cup would be around somewhere.

If she were abducted, I'm thinking the travel cup would have dropped near the road and it would have been found by now. This is the least likeliest scenario IMO.

If Barbara, fell off a rock and into a crevice, that mug should be somewhere. I don't think she'd be climbing rocks with a mug in her hand. I'd put it down, climb up and then come back down. If she fell between rocks or something, that mug should be somewhere visible unless, of course, it fell in along with her.

This travel mug should have been found by now if Barbara was anywhere in the vicinity carrying the travel mug. As each day passes, we keep hearing that "no sign of Barbara was found".

Where is that damn travel mug?

I'm having a hard time believing how this all went down, and the details, when that Travel Mug is nowhere to be seen. It's a small thing, but it bothers me. I feel like Columbo. I'm scratching my head and I'm focused on one small detail that isn't making sense.

MOO

Great post.

It's really unlikely Barbara was attacked by a mountain lion. Mountain lions hunt when deers are most active, dusk to dawn. Having hit 5 deers on the highway at dusk, I'm now an frickin expert on when they are most active.
View attachment 194439

Mountain Lions have a bad rap. And I agree that her chances of being a victim of a lion mountain attack are basically zero. Just trying to set the record straight about what animals are native. What I WOULD be concerned about are these: Mines. There are mines and mine shafts littered throughout the Mojave. Many are unmarked and dangerous. The next concern is disorientation in this heat. Today..the heat is unbearable. People under estimate how fast the heat will destroy any sense of orientation that one begins with while hiking. People tend to look for anything that they can take shelter in.. caves, canyons .. etc. and find that they cannot move on. It is HARSH out here. My daughter and I are avid hikers. We do not even entertain hiking the Mojave from June 15th through September 15th. We have seen enough tragedy to understand that the risk far out weighs the benefits.

We don’t know exactly where they parked when Barbara disappeared, but it appears to be within this one mile stretch of Kelbaker Rd: Google Maps

Coordinates:

Kelbaker is a paved road. The area she went missing in is about 7 miles north of I-40. From Granite Pass going north, the closest paved road is about 6 miles away. The only other crossroads in the area are rough dirt roads. Not exactly something one would use to make a quick getaway.

The Mojave National Preserve is a pretty remote area. Not much tourist traffic during the summer. And certainly no security cameras on the trails. Mojave National Preserve (U.S. National Park Service)
I’ve hiked in that area although not that exact place.

Has anyone reported seeing the couple walking on the trail? Or along the road, like when they were getting out of the car?

I would think someone would remember seeing a 69 year old woman hiking in a bikini, as that would be rather unusual. Most desert hikers would wear loosely-fitting light colored clothing that covered most of their skin. I usually wear short sleeves and loose, light hiking pants but I have hiked with people in my group who wear loose, long-sleeved shirts

IMO, the key under the rock makes sense to me and here's why...

In most cases, you are probably only carrying one set of keys. If they were both venturing out, they had to of thought about one (possibly) making it back to the camper before the other, this would allow that person to get into the camper, if they were the one without the key. The other thought, people are often terrified of losing a key to their only transportation if they adventure/hike outdoors, so they hide it somewhere. I personally don't do this but unless someone watched them hide the key, you can hide a key outdoors in a fairly secure site. You just better remember where you hid it!

I believe he said he was hoping to see her sitting outside the camper waiting. That also makes sense to me. If I arrived first, I would probably go inside, do whatever, then wait outside to watch for my spouse to return.

Coordinates:

Thank you so much.

Welcome, LaurieRaquel! I’m very sorry for what your family is going through.

You might want to consider becoming a Verified Insider here, as your aunt’s nephew did. (He can tell you that it’s painless.)

Verification Process for Professional or Insider Posters

‘Insider’ just means that you’ll be able to post info that’s not been printed in the mainstream media.

Also... and I am sure this has come up many times.. the rattle snake population is plentiful. One of our most gorgeous , but deadly natives is the Mojave Green Rattler. These snakes deliver a painful bite that will kill within 30 minutes if not treated. We encounter them often in the Summer time. Our experience with them is this: They leave you alone if you respect them. Most are bitten because they accidentally are bitten when placing their hands in rock formations to climb, or if they accidentally step on one. It is RARE that a Mojave green alerts anyone by rattling. They are the ONLY species of rattlesnake here that tend to NOT alert. One must always be aware that this is their home. And they will protect it and themselves fiercely. If Barbara was disoriented and trying to get herself to higher ground, and in the process was bitten..her end would be quick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member