CA CA - Barbara Thomas, 69, from Bullhead City AZ, disappeared in Mojave desert, 12 July 2019 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
MOO
Robbie has been through photos with LE. They are time stamped. They prove Barb and Rob were there. Or there would be no search, and Robbie would probably be a much more serious suspect because he has already said there are photos.
This has been stated previously.
Is LE saying anything to Robbie that you can share? We keep talking about the travel mug and the hat and sunglasses, but if it was a pair of people in another car then one could take Barbara and another pick up those items. I do not like this scenario at all. Two people nosing around the rv with nothing else to do but cause trouble - or a pair of men who decide they are going to have some fun messing with an older woman all alone. I wonder how many known troublemakers are in the area on the LE radar and if they have been checked in on. Not sure how traveled that road is but I hope LE is looking at all phones pinging off that tower in that timeframe and how many are known to them. MOO.

MOO
Robbie has been through photos with LE. They are time stamped. They prove Barb and Rob were there. Or there would be no search, and Robbie would probably be a much more serious suspect because he has already said there are photos.
Thank you, dbdb11. That answers one question for me. Are you able to tell us what time the photos were taken and where? Is there a name of a trail or something that would give us a better idea about where their walk took place and where this rock formation was located? MOO

No, there have been no photos about where he was actually standing. The twitter feed of the SBCS and one SAR organization are the only photos I know of - and that has been really helpful to me in locating where they were (it appears to be the Granite Hills area).

Kelbaker Road and Hidden Hill Road are the staging area and where the 911 dispatcher sent the original responders. You can see the Granite Hills in the distance on google maps, but the recent search photos of course show the searchers closer to those hills (and further from where the RV was apparently parked). There's not much room to pull out there - but it's possible he pulled onto an area on little-used Hidden Hill Road.

My hunch is that he did not want to take the dirt road (Hidden Hill) with the new truck and trailer. It would definitely had been dirty/dusty if he had. And possibly dinged, lots of rocks on the road. It's almost a trail rather than a road.

Kelbaker is a short cut to Las Vegas for many living out that way. I do not believe semi trucks are allowed, but there would be many box trucks and pickups and all manner of people on a Friday afternoon (nothing like steady traffic, but way less desolate than today, on a Monday morning). I keep wondering if she was struck by a car and that person then hid her. Anything is possible at this point.

Where they are searching yesterday and today is a mile or more away from where the RV would have been parked (IMO). The searchers are definitely closer to the place where the photo appears to be taken (but sure, it could be an earlier photo from a similar place - however, I do not think she looks younger in it, it was part of a longer distance photo of the Granite Hills - the hills themselves are at an elevation of about 600', and the road is near sea level). It's a blurry photo. The dogs were let loose yesterday near the hills (I'm sure they've taken them all along the route). If they used the Granite Hills Trail, then they may have walked more than 2 miles round trip.

There have to be some cell towers in the vicinity (this area is not far from the I-40) and Mr Thomas used his phone to call police, IIRC. There aren't a lot out in the middle of the preserve though. So if they were really in Kelso Dunes, probably less cell data.

We don't know how far they were from the road when they separated. If their original plan was to walk 2 miles out, then that gives quite a range of distances. I'm certain the first report I read had him stopping to take a picture of a "lake" which had me puzzled, but he has stated it was a "rock formation." I am now thinking this was a 4 mile round trip hike.

It's possible someone was waiting at their brand new RV when he got back, although apparently no signs of attempted break-in, he doesn't mention them, police don't mention that.

I'm rambling too. I think they have cadaver dogs (as well as other dogs) out there at this point. And if they believe she may have sought shade, then the nearby rocks have to be scaled and searched. "Nearby" could mean a big distance.

If she went on alone to the RV, that tells me she was seeking shelter/shade/toilet. If drinking only beer, she would have been dehydrated but definitely could have needed the restroom. If true that she had no phone of her own, then she was alone and vulnerable if someone pulled up while she was hanging around the RV.

My own husband says he doesn't buy that RT left the key to the truck/RV under a rock. I think that even if Thomas did leave the key under a rock, it's really possible she no longer remembered exactly which rock. We both find it unlikely that there were many/any big rocks. He says the key was still there when he returned, but my DH says he had it in his pocket like any normal man would do - the risk of the truck being stolen is real. Thomas says it was so that either of them could return when they liked, but why not just hand the keys to the person who is returning first? At any rate, no where along Kelbaker are there any fist-sized rocks just hanging out at the side of the road, he must have stuck it further back from the road - hence, making it hard to find.

So she's waiting in the heat, with no water...for how long? That's what I want to know. Woman in bikini hanging out side of Kelbaker Road for...a while...is vulnerable. If she wandered off, wouldn't she wander toward her husband? He makes it sound as if he was just a little bit behind her - but, people lose track of time pretty easily.
Wow! Thank you, this is so helpful and kind.

And agree with your thoughts. Thx

MOO
When you say the photo's prove that Barb and Rob were there do you mean that Barb is pictured in some of the photos?

TIA

The following is MOO and based off of my own experience in the Mojave:

A walk that is a 2 mile round trip is much different in the desert than it is in any other place.
One thing really bugs me.. and that is the story with the beer.
These are people that are experienced hikers, if I am reading correctly.
I must say, I don't know of any person that would take a beer on a 2 mile walk during the hottest part of the day .. you dehydrate faster ..you become much more susceptible to the effects of the sun..
The beer back at camp or in your trailer is the REWARD at the finish line.
This may be nothing...nothing at all... perhaps they do things different.
It just feels strange to me.

I doubt LE would be searching this extensively if they didn’t have time-stamped photo evidence that Barbara was actually there. But I’ve been wrong before. :)

I do not think LE demands time stamped pictures of missing children/elderly in order to go search for them.

What if Robert only made pics of the rocks, would they then refuse to search for his missing wife in the desert?

Is LE saying anything to Robbie that you can share? We keep talking about the travel mug and the hat and sunglasses, but if it was a pair of people in another car then one could take Barbara and another pick up those items. I do not like this scenario at all. Two people nosing around the rv with nothing else to do but cause trouble - or a pair of men who decide they are going to have some fun messing with an older woman all alone. I wonder how many known troublemakers are in the area on the LE radar and if they have been checked in on. Not sure how traveled that road is but I hope LE is looking at all phones pinging off that tower in that timeframe and how many are known to them. MOO.

“Not sure how traveled that road is but I hope LE is looking at all phones pinging off that tower in that timeframe and how many are known to them.”

It was discussed earlier that on a Friday that road would have travelers heading out for the weekend.

Looking at phones that were pinging off that tower at that time would be an excellent ideal. If she had been picked up then she could have been left on up the road a bit in the Desert in another location.

MOO

If there are indeed time-stamped photos showing that RT and BT were both there that day/time, then I wonder how much time elapsed between the last such photo taken and (a) the time when RT said he last saw BT as well as (b) when he called 911. I think he said that as soon as he got back to the camper he started to search and he did that for a while before calling 911.

<modsnip: not victim friendly>

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you, dbdb11. That answers one question for me. Are you able to tell us what time the photos were taken and where? Is there a name of a trail or something that would give us a better idea about where their walk took place and where this rock formation was located? MOO

IMO dbdb11 was sharing an opinion here, not a fact.

Unfortunately this is my own opinion. I can only confirm Robbie's family told me he was going through the photos with detectives, and was unavailable to speak on the occasion I tried to get through to him. I deduce that his story and the photos, particularly the well referenced 360 photo, has Barbara on the scene at the correct time. Otherwise, with no proof of her on the scene, why would they spend 9 days searching? To prove she isn't there?

Strongly feel Robbie has provided substantial evidence of Barbs being there that day, within his stated timeline.

dbdb11...

Sorry if I missed these answers before but reading through poster's comments and speculation, the facts become muddied. Can you answer:

-Did Barbara in fact take a 360 photo? With what, her phone? His phone? A camera? iPad?
-Did they stop anywhere before the spot where she went missing?
-Was the photo of her in news stories taken the same day she went missing?
-Did they always get along?
-Any financial struggles or recent life changes?

I do not think LE demands time stamped pictures of missing children/elderly in order to go search for them.

What if Robert only made pics of the rocks, would they then refuse to search for his missing wife in the desert?

Please don’t misrepresent my post. You know I never said that LE would demand a date stamped photo in order to search OR that they would refuse to search if there wasn’t a photo of Barbara.

My point was in response to your doubt that she was in any of Robert’s photos, despite our VI stating his opinion that the photos have provided LE with proof she was there. Please re-read my post again.

That is, if she disappeared as he laid out. Agreed that the mug should be around somewhere if the scenario occurred as he stated.
I suppose the mug or cup could have been picked up by the perp. But then I would have to wonder what kind of kidnapper needs to clean the crime scene when they think nobody else is around? I doubt a random crazy person driving by would care if they left a mug behind.

The following is MOO and based off of my own experience in the Mojave:

A walk that is a 2 mile round trip is much different in the desert than it is in any other place.
One thing really bugs me.. and that is the story with the beer.
These are people that are experienced hikers, if I am reading correctly.
I must say, I don't know of any person that would take a beer on a 2 mile walk during the hottest part of the day .. you dehydrate faster ..you become much more susceptible to the effects of the sun..
The beer back at camp or in your trailer is the REWARD at the finish line.
This may be nothing...nothing at all... perhaps they do things different.
It just feels strange to me.

Beer is not much of a diuretic:

The Diuretic Action of Weak and Strong Alcoholic Beverages in Elderly Men: A Randomized Diet-Controlled Crossover Trial

With ageing, there is a greater risk of dehydration. This study investigated the diuretic effect of alcoholic beverages varying in alcohol concentration in elderly men. Three alcoholic beverages (beer (AB), wine (AW), and spirits (S)) and their non-alcoholic counterparts (non-alcoholic beer (NAB), non-alcoholic wine (NAW), and water (W)) were tested in a diet-controlled randomized crossover trial. For the alcoholic beverages, alcohol intake equaled a moderate amount of 30 g. An equal volume of beverage was given for the non-alcoholic counterpart. After consumption, the urine output was collected every hour for 4 h and the total 24 h urine output was measured. AW and S resulted in a higher cumulative urine output compared to NAW and W during the first 4 h (effect size: 0.25 mL p < 0.003, effect size: 0.18 mL, p < 0.001, respectively), but not after the 24h urine collection (p > 0.40, p > 0.10). AB and NAB did not differ at any time point (effect size: −0.02 mL p > 0.70). For urine osmolality, and the sodium and potassium concentration, the findings were in line. In conclusion, only moderate amounts of stronger alcoholic beverages, such as wine and spirits, resulted in a short and small diuretic effect in elderly men.

Please don’t misrepresent my post. I never said that LE would demand a date stamped photo in order to search OR that they would refuse to search if there wasn’t a photo of Barbara.

My point was in response to your doubt that she was in any of Robert’s photos, despite our VI stating she was. Please re-read my post again.
I think we agree that LE has without a doubt looked at all of his photos and any devices he had with him that day. Certainly if the photos contradicted his story LE would have a different stance. It may however be that they neither support nor refute his story.

I think we agree that LE has without a doubt looked at all of his photos and any devices he had with him that day. Certainly if the photos contradicted his story LE would have a different stance. It may however be that they neither support nor refute his story.

It’s certainly possible that the photos are irrelevant. I edited my comment to reflect that the photo evidence is the VI’s opinion, based on the length of the search. Personally, I agree with him that it’s unlikely they’d search this long and this extensively if there was absolutely no proof she was there. But this is JMO.

Mountain Lions have a bad rap. And I agree that her chances of being a victim of a lion mountain attack are basically zero. Just trying to set the record straight about what animals are native. What I WOULD be concerned about are these: Mines. There are mines and mine shafts littered throughout the Mojave. Many are unmarked and dangerous. The next concern is disorientation in this heat. Today..the heat is unbearable. People under estimate how fast the heat will destroy any sense of orientation that one begins with while hiking. People tend to look for anything that they can take shelter in.. caves, canyons .. etc. and find that they cannot move on. It is HARSH out here. My daughter and I are avid hikers. We do not even entertain hiking the Mojave from June 15th through September 15th. We have seen enough tragedy to understand that the risk far out weighs the benefits.

I know what you mean, but people not from Arizona and the deserts (Mojave included), go all the time, everysingle day thinking otherwise for them. Not sure how long Barbara has been here, having come from Henderson Nevada, not too far away and then before in San Diego a totally different climate. If they take the Herbalife (and I presume they both do), I'm sure they believe they are super-strong as well.

I wanted to ask you (I've been to Death Valley & Bullhead City many times) and live in Az myself, but wouldn't the vultures start to gather around anything dead in the valley floor or desert floor?

The study was not done on older people walking in extreme heat in the desert in the middle of the day. No disrespect intended . The article is quite informative, Thank you.

No disrespect taken. If there's a study on older people walking in extreme heat in the desert in the middle of the day, I'd love to see it, otherwise this may be the best we can get.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ioprgee