CA CA - Barbara Thomas, 69, from Bullhead City AZ, disappeared in Mojave desert, 12 July 2019 #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Look at the video of the search dogs in the Media thread. They seem OK. They are short-haired, while Lexi is a collie, though. Their nice, big truck has an extended cab, perfect for Lexi, IMHO. S/he could travel in air-conditioned comfort until they got to their hiking/camping destination.

You really can’t compare a pet dog to those working dogs in that video. SAR dogs are conditioned for the terrain/environment they will cover (miles & miles). When you see a gps collar track of these dogs it’s astonishing the ground they covered. They are in incredible shape but even having a hardcharger, handlers keep a close eye on signs of stress and pull their dogs for breaks & body checks.

Watching a dog collapse and die of heat stroke is a awful experience. I despise seeing pet owners pushing their dogs in outdoor environments they are not conditioned for.

It’s entirely possible the decision to board the dog was by very responsible pet owners.

You really can’t compare a pet dog to those working dogs in that video. SAR dogs are conditioned for the terrain/environment they will cover (miles & miles). When you see a gps collar track of these dogs it’s astonishing the ground they covered. They are in incredible shape but even having a hardcharger, handlers keep a close eye on signs of stress and pull their dogs for breaks & body checks.

Watching a dog collapse and die of heat stroke is a awful experience. I despise seeing pet owners pushing their dogs in outdoor environments they are not conditioned for.

It’s entirely possible the decision to board the dog was by very responsible pet owners.
I agree 100%! I own greyhounds. People think that they can run miles and miles. They run a track. Shorter distance at incredible speed. They aren't meant to be someone jogging companion. (actually they enjoy the retired life and sleep about 18 hours a day! lol) They have almost no body fat and will suffer heat stroke and hypothermia much faster than an average dog. It's important to know what you specific dog is capable of or conditioned to do. Barbara's sweet pup may be a cuddly couch potato who enjoys good air conditioning! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree 100%! I own greyhounds. People think that they can run miles and miles. They run a track. Shorter distance at incredible speed. They aren't meant to be someone jogging companion. (actually they enjoy the retired life and sleep about 18 hours a day! lol) They have almost no body fat and will suffer heat stroke and hypothermia much faster than an average dog. It's important to know what you specific dog is capable of or conditioned to do. Barbara's sweet pup may be a cuddly couch potato who enjoys good air conditioning! :)
Thank you all for your input. I admit that 100+ degree heat is not something I am familiar with, or want to become familiar with. :eek::cool:

Yup, and presumably that fancy new RV is air conditioned, so there's that.
Doggie could lounge in comfort whilst the humans hiked in the soaring temperatures.

JMO.

How does this help find Barbara?
Presumably because the absence of the dog on a camping trip could indicate a deviation from normal behavior for Barbara. If the couple camped frequently with the dog, then we should ask why not this time. If the dog was a frequent boarder, or had medical issues that prevented attendance on this particular excursion, then we might refocus our attention on Barbara's interactions with the kennel staff.

Yup, and presumably that fancy new RV is air conditioned, so there's that.
Doggie could lounge in comfort whilst the humans hiked in the soaring temperatures.

JMO.

You need power to run the air conditioner. Not all rigs (including the one we had) have a generator capable of running the AC, so the dog would roast while they hiked. I expect they left the dog at the kennel for compassionate, rather than nefarious reasons.

Presumably because the absence of the dog on a camping trip could indicate a deviation from normal behavior for Barbara. If the couple camped frequently with the dog, then we should ask why not this time. If the dog was a frequent boarder, or had medical issues that prevented attendance on this particular excursion, then we might refocus our attention on Barbara's interactions with the kennel staff.

Because it is not the same dog?
She got a puppy, as far as I know.

I do not see any answers here, it is too far fetched with all due respect, IMO.

BBM:

BOOM!

Precisely. Nailed it.

Superb first post, canteloupe.

Welcome to WS and to BT's thread...it's great to have you here!

JMO.

Last edited:
You need power to run the air conditioner. Not all rigs (including the one we had) have a generator capable of running the AC, so the dog would roast while they hiked. I expect they left the dog at the kennel for compassionate, rather than nefarious reasons.

BBM Yeah me too but I do wonder if Barbara would've disappeared if her dog had been with her.

OK. Well, maybe she just enjoys not having to drive. Means she can have a beer without worrying! I know I'd be very happy to have someone to drive me everywhere.
In general, not always, but I find most men seem to enjoy the "command and control" of being the captain of the ship (car). Manly thing.
Ducking again....
; )

Amateur opinion and speculation!

BBM: Very interesting tibit. I wonder what the plan was. If only the short "hike" we know about, would it be a problem to keep the AC on for the pooch?

Also, I don't know much about this, so can someone give some input on whether one could take a dog on the hike they did do? Bring him some water, put booties on the feet. Realistic? Would anyone do that?

And on that note, has RT ever given more info on what other plans they had? Have I missed that?
BBM

Would anyone do that? Yes. Should anyone do that? No. Dogs get heat exhaustion too.

West Valley SAR on Twitter
D_-1mZJU0AE1VTL.jpg

Agreed...we had a tri-color collie for 14 years. Our home backyard is the Phoenix Mountain Preserve. He refused to hike with us there! We also had whippets, similar time frame. They loved going with us, and they got extremely upset when we had to leave them home if temps were 90+. As they got older, they couldn’t go far unless temps were less than 75. Also, when I was a teenager, I had an Australian Shepherd. He got car sick every single day on my way to the barn to ride my horse. He really loved it there, so I didn’t mind cleaning my car every day. I know our collie didn’t like the desert and couldn’t handle the heat. He was cool in the car though! But every animal, just like every person, is an individual

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tenamh