CA CA - Barbara Thomas, 69, from Bullhead City AZ, disappeared in Mojave desert, 12 July 2019 #6

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Right. But since I have a Ford, with the same kind of keyless code entry, that RT hadsin his Ford truck, I never place my keys in my flip-flops on the sand. I hide them under my car seat, lock my Explorer, and use the code to get them when I am ready to leave.

So I don't understand why he'd put the keys to 100k worth of vehicles, under a rock, instead of locking them inside his truck. o_O
Keyless entry is an option. Not all Ford's come equipped with it.

Plus you have to know the code. If they bought the truck used they may not have it or have not taken it to the dealer to have it reset. JMO

Then how did Barbara disappear when she turned at a rock formation? And why would LE search so hard based on an obvious lie?

I think RT claimed he lost sight of her when she turned a corner in the path. His view of her could've been obscured by a rock formation or by tall bushes. I was saying that if BT was where RT implied she was, that according to @sroad and others, BT's own view of the RV was unlikely to be obscured by rock formations or tall bushes. So it wasn't necessarily an obvious lie.

As for why LE searched so hard, maybe they were obligated to search where BT was said to have been last seen. Maybe they had some other evidence she was there. We don't know.

JMO

One wonders during which question(s) the polygraph showed RT as being "deceptive" ("deceptive" according to what RT claimed LE told him). I'm guessing LE did not elaborate specific details to him but may have bantered with RT regarding elements of what LE may have believed/believes occurred that day in July.

*** IF *** RT had done something bad to BT and disappeared her remains and RT's lawyer had knowledge of that act, is the lawyer obligated to report that to LE? I believe the lawyer does have that obligation, overriding "attorney/client" privilege.

Would any legal experts perusing this thread like to chime in?

I believe I found an answer:

Representing a Client the Lawyer Thinks Is Guilty
The key is the difference between factual guilt (what the defendant actually did) and legal guilt (what a prosecutor can prove). A good criminal defense lawyer asks not, “Did my client do it?” but rather, “Can the government prove that my client did it?” No matter what the defendant has done, he is not legally guilty until a prosecutor offers enough evidence to persuade a judge or jury to convict.

However, the defense lawyer may not lie to the judge or jury by specifically stating that the defendant did not do something the lawyer knows the defendant did do. (On the other hand, the lawyer cannot admit guilt against the client's wishes.) Rather, the lawyer’s trial tactics and arguments must focus on the government’s failure to prove all the elements of the crime.

Example: Sam is charged with shoplifting. Sam admits to his lawyer that he took a watch, as charged. Sam’s lawyer realizes that the store’s hidden camera videotape is fuzzy and practically useless as prosecution evidence. In addition, Sam’s lawyer learns that the store’s security guard was at the end of a long overtime shift and had been drinking alcohol. Sam’s lawyer can use these facts in an argument for Sam’s acquittal. Before trial, Sam’s lawyer can argue to the D.A. that the D.A.’s case is too weak to prosecute. At trial, Sam’s lawyer can argue to a judge or jury to acquit Sam. No matter what Sam has done, Sam is not legally guilty unless the prosecutor can prove it beyond a reasonable doubt. But Sam’s lawyer cannot ethically state in his argument that Sam “didn’t do it,” only that the D.A. didn’t prove that Sam did do it. While the line between ethical and unethical behavior may seem like—indeed, is—a fine one, it is a line that criminal defense lawyers walk every day on the job.

Right. But since I have a Ford, with the same kind of keyless code entry, that RT has in his Ford truck, I never place my keys in my flip-flops on the sand. I hide them under my car seat, lock my Explorer, and use the code to get them when I am ready to leave.

So I don't understand why he'd put the keys to 100k worth of vehicles, under a rock, instead of locking them inside his truck. o_O

The older one gets, the more things one 'forgets'. Newer vehicles, out in the desert, temperatures soaring above 'typical', maybe they did not want to chance their getting back in to their vehicle(s) by relying on remembering a code. A key is a guarantee.

I think RT claimed he lost sight of her when she turned a corner in the path. His view of her could've been obscured by a rock formation or by tall bushes. I was saying that if BT was where RT implied she was, that according to @sroad and others, BT's own view of the RV was unlikely to be obscured by rock formations or tall bushes. So it wasn't necessarily an obvious lie.

As for why LE searched so hard, maybe they were obligated to search where BT was said to have been last seen. Maybe they had some other evidence she was there. We don't know.

JMO
It’s hard to understand without actually experiencing. Thanks for your explanation. LE obviously must have believed him at some point to carry on such a long search.

Good info:

bubm

California Missing Persons
In California, a missing person is someone whose whereabouts is unknown to the reporting party.
/snipped/
There is NO waiting period for reporting a person missing. All California police and sheriffs' departments must accept any report, including a report by telephone, of a missing person, including runaways, without delay and will give priority to the handling of the report.

I expect that includes 'searching'.

Interesting "CLOTHING" description:

bbm

Barbara Thomas
MISSING SINCE: 07/12/2019
SEX: Female
DOB: 06/11/1950
RACE: White
HEIGHT: 5' 9"
EYES: Green
WEIGHT: 130 lbs.
HAIR: Blonde
CLOTHING: Black bra and underwear, black tall socks, tan hiking boots, and a white hat
DENTAL X-RAYS AVAILABLE: No
Barbara was last seen on July 12, 2019.

"Black bra and underwear"? Why not "Black bikini and underwear"?

Is that why we aren't seeing a photograph(s) from that day?

Is that why RT emphasized "bikini" and "beer" in his abduction scenario?

ETA:
Also, "white hat" ......... not "red cap".
HAIR: "Blonde"? .........not so much, unless "grey" is only her head hair.

The only thing I could think of is that missing person information is added to the database immediately at the time the report is received by LE, why else would there be such discrepancies... unless the reporting party relayed the exact information we're reading?

Why not update it?

Last edited:

bbm

Barbara Thomas

ETA:
Also HAIR: "Blonde"? .........not so much, unless "grey" is only her head hair...
It also says white hat instead of red. MOO

Where was the kennel located?
How far was the kennel from the area of claimed disappearance?
Has the husband's phone been looked into to see the route taken after the kennel drop off?
How about Barbara's phone? Was it in the camper? Was it shut off? Various phone apps follow us everywhere. Just when I think I've blocked an app I see another way my phone places me at a location.

The older one gets, the more things one 'forgets'. Newer vehicles, out in the desert, temperatures soaring above 'typical', maybe they did not want to chance their getting back in to their vehicle(s) by relying on remembering a code. A key is a guarantee.
My mom accidentally locked the keys in the trunk of her Ford Taurus. She was in a panic until I remembered that my late father had programed her keyless entry to use her birthday.

I was able to open her door and hit the trunk release button and she got her keys.

She didn't remember the code was her birthday. Probably because she never uses the keyless entry feature.

July 12, 2019

8:05am Barb leaves home to drop dog off at doggie care, it's a 5 minute drive from her house
8:10am Dog is dropped off
8:15am According to VI Dbdb, neighbors' cameras show RT and BT leaving their driveway in their new dually Truck and 5th wheel RV
11:00 am (in version told to family, RT says he started searching for Barb; from VI's sister)
12:00 noon. In the same version of the story, given by VI Dbdb as told to him by his sister, RT tells the family that he began to worry about the heat and called 911)
2:30pm RT says he returned to the RV about an hour before calling 911 (see below) and looked for Barb "for an hour)
3:26 pm SBCS dispatch log registers a missing person at Kelbaker and Hidden Hill Road
5:30 pm SBCS and SAR arrives at Kelbaker/HH

We can only estimate on the time it took to do the 2 mile round trip hike to the Granite Hills. It takes 2 hours to drive from their house to the place where RT called 911.
So, approximately 6 hours passed between the time she was last seen by neighbor's cameras and the time she was reported missing.

That's a long time.

Has the husband's phone been looked into to see the route taken after the kennel drop off?
How about Barbara's phone? Was it in the camper? Was it shut off? Various phone apps follow us everywhere. Just when I think I've blocked an app I see another way my phone places me at a location.
The kennel is five minutes from the home.

I presume RT's cellphone has been examined, but it has not been reported in MSM.

Barbara did not have a cellphone.

MOO

bbm

Barbara Thomas

ETA:
Also, "white hat" ......... not "red cap".
HAIR: "Blonde"? .........not so much, unless "grey" is only her head hair.

The only thing I could think of is that missing person information is added to the database immediately at the time the report is received by LE, why else would there be such discrepancies... unless the reporting party relayed the exact information we're reading?

Why not update it?
Now I'm confused. Was it a bikini or underwear? Was it a sports bra so it wasn't technically a bikini top? I mean there's a big distinction, in my mind, between the two.

I would think that LE would want the description to be accurate so now I feel like we don't even know what she wearing.

Keyless entry is an option. Not all Ford's come equipped with it.

Plus you have to know the code. If they bought the truck used they may not have it or have not taken it to the dealer to have it reset. JMO

There is a keypad on RT's truck for what it's worth. See pic.

Attachments

• KeylessEntry.jpg
    KeylessEntry.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 41
Bullhead City is not a big town. I go there a few times a year. It's not real "happening". Close by is Laughlin, a gambling town. Still not big. It's on the river so you get boating people and motorcycle people. It's nothing likeLas Vegas atmosphere imo.
I'm pretty sure the kennel was close by to where they lived.

Exactly. This is why attorneys do not want their clients to talk. It makes defending their clients more difficult.

IMO, this is why RT is not talking.

ETA: I should clarify: IMO, RT's attorney told him not to talk to the media because it's not in his best interest, not necessarily because his attorney thinks he's guilty.

Last edited:
I do not believe BT got lost in the desert. The vehicles were not so far away from the rock formations that would prohibit someone from seeing/locating them on a walk-back. If you walk in the wrong direction for a few minutes you realize you're direction is wrong because you're not seeing the vehicles up ahead. Also, there is a trail/dirt road that leads directly to where the vehicles were parked. That, and after extensive searching by LE/SAR, I dismiss the 'got lost' possibility.

BT may have 'disappeared' on purpose. Angry? Punish RT for whatever reason(s)? Someone would had to have assisted BT in such an endeavor; it isn't likely she or someone else would have hidden a vehicle in that area of the desert or BT had someone pick her up at a designated time at that location. Why wait for a desert hike trip? I dismiss the 'disappeared on purpose' possibility.

Abduction. I struggle with this. The mother of all coincidences? That's one darned fortunate abductor(s). <modsnip: if you can't post it, don't mention it>

Unless conscience begs, there might not be justice and resolution in this case.

So, approximately 6 hours passed between the time she was last seen by neighbor's cameras and the time she was reported missing.

That's a long time.
That's absolutely a long time. Per Google Maps, there are three routes to drive from Bullhead City to the Kelso area. All three routes are approximately 2 hours in drive time. Adding a generous 30 min for pulling an RV and the trip would have taken 2.5 hours.

The 2 mile hike/walk should have taken 40 min, but I'll be generous again and give it an hour.

How did they spend the other 2.5 hours? Breakfast? Other desert sites? Bathroom break? Fueling up? Nap? I hope SBSD has been able to put together an accurate timeline of their full morning and afternoon together.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member