CA CA - Barbara Thomas, 69, from Bullhead City AZ, disappeared in Mojave desert, 12 July 2019 #9

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
@MsBetsy
Is this the post?
San Bernardino County Sheriff on Twitter
The search for Barbara Thomas, age 69, is continuing in the area of Kelbaker/ Hidden Hills near the I-40
1:12 PM - 17 Jul 2019

JUL 19, 2019
Video: The search continues for 69-year-old hiker Barbara Thomas
At the end of this video, the reporter says, "Investigators say the questions they asked RT are standard for missing person investigations stressing they do not suspect foul play in this case."

JUL 19, 2019
Video: Husband of missing 69-year-old hiker says police consider him a suspect
  • SBCSO says they are not releasing any information about the missing person investigation and interviews with family members.
  • Authorities also say they have no evidence the woman was abducted nor have they found any trace of her.
  • Rescuers resumed the search at daybreak using off-road vehicles, K9 units, hikers, and aerial support.
  • Authorities are unaware of how long RT and BT were separated before she disappeared nor do they know how far she was from the RV at the time.
  • Officials also say that they are unaware of any medical conditions that may have caused BT to become disoriented or lost.
Yes, that's the one! Thanks!

Yeah, it's been posted over and over again since the second thread.
I think the recent article may be a little misleading. It's written as if there is new information, but it's the same as it's always been from the beginning.
I was hoping for a recent update or at least some clarification on the status of the investigation. Imo

But at least putting out a new article helps keep the word out that Barbara is still missing. In the early reports it seemed apparent that many in the public (based on the comments under the articles) were under the mistaken impression that she had been found, as they were confusing Barbara with the other woman, Sheryl Powell, who went missing the same day but WAS found alive four days later.

I also really like that this reporter included more from BT’s son on what his mom is like: that she is good at cheering people up, how his kids call her Grandma Barbie because of her beauty, how she likes Collie dogs and Himalayan cats, and how she loved to dance, and loved to cook. Made me smile and feel sad at the same time to read that.

But at least putting out a new article helps keep the word out that Barbara is still missing. In the early reports it seemed apparent that many in the public (based on the comments under the articles) were under the mistaken impression that she had been found, as they were confusing Barbara with the other woman, Sheryl Powell, who went missing the same day but WAS found alive four days later.

I also really like that this reporter included more from BT’s son on what his mom is like: that she is good at cheering people up, how his kids call her Grandma Barbie because of her beauty, how she likes Collie dogs and Himalayan cats, and how she loved to dance, and loved to cook. Made me smile and feel sad at the same time to read that.
Yes, now if only some of the major news media would do a story on her case.
I don't think they will, though, until there is a change in the status of the investigation or there is a suspect or an arrest.
So I guess in a way, No news is good news.
Unless, of course, they find her body. But at least then Barbara's husband and family can have some closure, and hopefully some answers. Imo

One explanation for RT's words on camera regarding being a suspect would be that he felt/feels very guilty. Many husbands would. Many would have a hard time admitting they had lost their (vulnerable) wife in the desert. Maybe she went to sit down nearby, maybe they were way further out in the desert, but both are hard for him to admit (she was feeling a bit tired or unwell, in 100-104F heat, he put taking a picture above staying at her side, etc). People do rewrite things in their heads in order to feel better, that's for sure. And some people have very hard time admitting they were wrong as the real story would still be in their heads. This would also explain the polygraph issues. I think we all know people like this, they're not uncommon (can't admit to any sort of error on their own part, it's always the other person's fault).

If he lost sight of her further out in the desert, looked (panicked) for an hour, then went back to the RV and she wasn't there either, that's an entirely different scenario, would have been an entirely different search.
Yes, I agree with this.

I also think that some of the phrases he used crop up a lot in police/detective dramas on TV or film. People who watch a lot of TV or read tabloids often pick up these phrases without really thinking about what they're saying.

So good to see a recent article on Barbra. I have no doubt that LE is working diligently to resolve this case even though they aren't updating the media/public.

I'd just like to see Barbra come home, safe and sound. She appears to be a kind, loving woman who cared about her family. I just don't believe she'd intentionally walk away from her life. We'll probably all be surprised by how this turns out unfortunately.

JMO

absolutely no doubt LE is working this case. No doubt at all. Waiting is really hard, but not compared to whatever happened here. Even if she went off by herself, which I am not suggesting as I have no theory, it means she had a reason and was dealing with something somewhere. If she got stuck in the desert and succumbed, that too, is agony. The waiting and curiosity we have is nothing comparatively speaking, to what is happening for this family and those who love Barb.

Hiking season is now. May answers come soon.

We'll probably all be surprised by how this turns out unfortunately.
JMO
Respectfully snipped for commentary response.
I'm speculating just the opposite. It will be sadly straightforward.
Wandered off, succumbed, and overlooked during searches...ultimately spotted.

Amateur opinion and speculation

So good to see a recent article on Barbra. I have no doubt that LE is working diligently to resolve this case even though they aren't updating the media/public.

I'd just like to see Barbra come home, safe and sound. She appears to be a kind, loving woman who cared about her family. I just don't believe she'd intentionally walk away from her life. We'll probably all be surprised by how this turns out unfortunately.

JMO

If this is foul play, then I won’t be surprised at all.

I’ll only be surprised if she’s found in the same general area that she allegedly disappeared in.

Are you saying RT never told anyone where they were hiking when she went missing?

I've noted before the odd ambivalence of some of LE's statements

This convinces me, or goes a long ways toward convincing me, that LE is making these statements because they don't know: for instance, how far from RV she was, or how long separated, etc. because they are taking RT's story with a grain of salt

Why? Because there is no evidence that his story is true

JMO

Thanks, @artsy1 !

Interesting article and some discrepancies from what was earlier discussed.

"...My mother and I were close. ... (We) spoke on the phone often..."

^^^ Am assuming this was before she met and married RT. As she was not allowed a cellphone after the marriage; according to the VI.

".... Bachman said the Sheriff's Department does not release information on polygraph tests...."

^^^
As was discussed , LE didn't tell RT he'd failed the poly.
Curious why he told Barbara's nephew and others that he'd failed ?
Almost as if he wanted to do a one-upmanship on LE.

RT could certainly be completely honest in Barbara's vanishing; but maybe he wanted to cast himself as the central character in all of this ?
That's all and nothing more ?

I wish the VI would chime in.
It's good to see the family of Barbara is openly suspecting foul play.
This case may not be as cold as I'd feared !

If I understood the VI correctly, she was allowed to speak on a cell phone, but didn't have her own, she had to use RT's. JMO

This convinces me, or goes a long ways toward convincing me, that LE is making these statements because they don't know: for instance, how far from RV she was, or how long separated, etc. because they are taking RT's story with a grain of salt

JMO
I’ve said this before, but you don’t give a polygraph to someone when you buy his story.

Clearly there were red flags here, and suspicion on the part of law enforcement.

They either weren’t sure what they were dealing with, or there were indications that the narrative wasn’t true.

Which jibes with the strange way they have discussed this publicly.

Not that we have heard of, except for LE. Imo
I think we have a pretty clear idea where they were hiking. It is pretty obvious from the maps we have seen here and from the pictures posted here. The main trail begins right at the highway, exactly where they parked the RV.

The only other 'trails' are obscure paths leading through cactus brush etc. No way they walked through that mess.

I think it is obvious they were on the main trail. He said he stopped to snap photos of the dry creek bed and rock formation. So we have a pretty good idea of where they were when he said she continued on. JMO

JMO
Yet when they were asked about the search they stated that they were conducting it based on where RT said that he last saw her, which I'm assuming is that corner she went around, wherever that may be.
They also stated that the questions they asked him were no different than in any other missing persons investigation, and they do not suspect foul play.
That sounds to me like they are not doubting his story and there is no evidence to contradict it. Imo

I think we have a pretty clear idea where they were hiking. It is pretty obvious from the maps we have seen here and from the pictures posted here. The main trail begins right at the highway, exactly where they parked the RV.

The only other 'trails' are obscure paths leading through cactus brush etc. No way they walked through that mess.

I think it is obvious they were on the main trail. He said he stopped to snap photos of the dry creek bed and rock formation. So we have a pretty good idea of where they were when he said she continued on. JMO
I was answering the question about whether or not he told anyone where they were hiking. As far as I know, he only told LE.
They have never indicated where it was that she went around the corner. Imo

I don't think there would be any reason to release the call if it is not a criminal investigation.
As I asked before, what good would it do? How could it possibly help to find Barbara?

If LE believed the call being released would help them in some way, I imagine they would.
It may just be that it is evidence that is important to the investigation and releasing it would do more harm than good.
I can't imagine why they would release it, though.
Imo

They would be forced to release it through the FOIA. [Freedom of Information Act]

Her nephew submitted a FOIA request for that call and it was denied, at this time, because of ongoing investigation.

If it was a 'simple' missing hiker case, then I think they would approve the FOIA request. JMO

I was answering the question about whether or not he told anyone where they were hiking. As far as I know, he only told LE.
They have never indicated where it was that she went around the corner. Imo
Wouldn't that be strange behaviour on his part, not to tell anyone else where they were hiking?

Doesn't he want others to know that important info if they want to help him find her?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleutherine