CA CA- Barstow, WhtFemale 30-80, Found Scattered From Shallow Grave- Oct 30, 1955

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

SimsGuy67

Reaction score
I do not think this Doe has a thread. Correct me if I'm wrong but I have searched high and low for one.

NamUs Case Number: UP6526
ME/C Case Number: 15172
Unidentified Female
Source: The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
General Information
Sex: Female
Race: White/Caucasian
DBF: October 30, 1955
DOD: 1954-1955
Found in: Barstow, San Bernardino County, CA
Estimated Age Range: 30-80 (Most likely 50-80)
Estimated Height: 5'4"
Estimated Weight: Cannot Estimate
Hair Color: Blond/Strawberry (Reddish Blond hair, 6 to 7 inches in length)
Eye Color: Unknown
Distinguishing Features: Unknown/None (skeletal remains)
Clothing/Personal Items: None found at scene
Identifiers:
Dentals: Not Available
DNA: Available
Fingerprints: Not Available

Circumstances
Partial skeletal remains of White female adult (age greater than 30, probably between 50 and 80) found scattered from shallow grave in remote desert. Edentulous. ID can only be confirmed by DNA profile comparison (partial 9-locus).

Investigators
September Fonzi-Jones: Case Contributor, Law Enforcement
Phone: (909) 387-2978

Potential Matches I Found
I found 3 possible matches with wavering possibility.

Evelyn Scott fits the best here. She went missing only 2 hours away and fits almost all the criteria. The only things that don't line up are the height and hair. Blond hair may be mistaken for white hair under certain circumstances and the remains were only partial so the height may mess up by an inch or two.

The next best match here is Frances Groves. She also went missing around 2 hours away and fits almost all criteria too. The hair and possibly the age is what doesn't fit here. The age is 30-80 and Frances is 39 but the most likely age is 50-80. Possible but is it likely? The hair can't be explained away like Evelyn's was. Her hair was a darker brown. This cannot be explained at least I can't explain it.

The least likely match IMO is Mildred Johnson. The only thing I can't get past is location. Couer D'Alene is a very long distance from Barstow. Other than that everting fits. The height may be a problem but we went over that with Evelyn.
Let me know what you think about these matches!

I must say I’m shocked she doesn’t have a thread here. Here’s her Doe Net link: CASE NUMBER - 1060UFCA

I think Evelyn and Frances seem like the best possibilities. Given the amount of time that’s passed though, I’d suggest submitting all of them.

I do not think this Doe has a thread. Correct me if I'm wrong but I have searched high and low for one.

Unidentified Female
General Information
Identifiers:

Circumstances
Partial skeletal remains of White female adult (age greater than 30, probably between 50 and 80) found scattered from shallow grave in remote desert. Edentulous. ID can only be confirmed by DNA profile comparison (partial 9-locus).

Investigators

Evelyn Scott fits the best here. She went missing only 2 hours away and fits almost all the criteria. The only things that don't line up are the height and hair. Blond hair may be mistaken for white hair under certain circumstances and the remains were only partial so the height may mess up by an inch or two.

The next best match here is Frances Groves. She also went missing around 2 hours away and fits almost all criteria too. The hair and possibly the age is what doesn't fit here. The age is 30-80 and Frances is 39 but the most likely age is 50-80. Possible but is it likely? The hair can't be explained away like Evelyn's was. Her hair was a darker brown. This cannot be explained at least I can't explain it.

The least likely match IMO is Mildred Johnson. The only thing I can't get past is location. Couer D'Alene is a very long distance from Barstow. Other than that everting fits. The height may be a problem but we went over that with Evelyn.
Out of all the possible matches, Evelyn Scott seems to be the best match for Jane Doe.

I must say I’m shocked she doesn’t have a thread here. Here’s her Doe Net link: CASE NUMBER - 1060UFCA

I think Evelyn and Frances seem like the best possibilities. Given the amount of time that’s passed though, I’d suggest submitting all of them.
Thank you so much for this link! I didn't know the Doe had a Doe Network page!

Thank you so much for this link! I didn't know the Doe had a Doe Network page!
I’m always forgetting them! It’s slowly becoming a habit to check there too. If I get some time this evening I’ll see if I can find old newspaper articles for the Doe. Thanks for the thread!

Out of all the possible matches, Evelyn Scott seems to be the best match for Jane Doe.
It would be a shame if it was. Evelyn seems to have no identifiers. Maybe this match can spark interest in finding some of her family and getting a sample from them?

It would be a shame if it was. Evelyn seems to have no identifiers. Maybe this match can spark interest in finding some of her family and getting a sample from them?
Personally, I think it would be good to present Evelyn as a possible match so that at least the people in charge of her case have this as a consideration.

UPDATE: Evelyn has already been considered, NOT EXCLUDED but considered. Apparently the likely hood of this match did not get people to contact some of Evelyn's remaining family and get a DNA sample... Then and again on Evelyn's thread someone called in a match to the LAPD (the case owners) and they said the had no time for something "this old and insignificant". Not my words but it is to be noted for the future.

I don’t agree that she is “likely 50-80 age range unless that strawberry blonde hair is dyed. Six inch hair is fairly long, and not a typical length for women of that era 50-80 years.

I think she is much closer to the 30 year estimate. Likely this is the result of DV.

Amateur opinion and speculation

re: height

Usually +/- 2 inches is considered close enough--height estimates of missing people are rarely accurate and in this case, with the scattered remains, the unidentified woman's height could easily be off by an inch or two.

Unidentified Female
General Information
Identifiers:

Circumstances

Investigators

Hey @SimsGuy67 could you send Frances Groves as a possible match? From what I see, she is the only one that has identifiers (DNA) so that she can be compared to Jane Doe.

Hey @SimsGuy67 could you send Frances Groves as a possible match? From what I see, she is the only one that has identifiers (DNA) so that she can be compared to Jane Doe.
Oh wow! I will soon but right now Little Miss X is my top priority.

Unidentified Female
General Information
Identifiers:

Circumstances

Investigators

Re: Mildred Johnson and location--it was and still is very common for people in the western US to take driving vacations to California and Barstow is on the main route from southern California to Idaho. Then it was US-91; it's now I-15. I drove it twice with my family back when I was a wee one. So I don't think the distance is an issue. However, she's probably been ruled out by default since she has DNA from hr mother, according to this article: Who Is Jane Doe?

Mildred"s Websleuths page: ID - ID - Mildred Johnson, 31, Coeur D'Alene, 1954

"Hunters Find Human Skull Near Barstow," The San Bernardino County Sun, October 31, 1955, pg 11.

"The skull was found...by William Shepard of Barstow and Edward Loomis of Lawndale...near Power Line Rd., 10 miles south of Barstow."

"there was a hole the size of a silver dollar in the right temple."

"[It is] estimated that death of the person occurred eight months ago."

"Female Skeleton Parts Found in Grave Near Skull," The San Bernardino County Sun, November 1, 1955, pg 15.

"The remainder of the skeleton...[was found] approximately a third of a mile from where the skull was found."

"the hole in the skull....may have been made by a blow from a hammer or other blunt instrument."

"Several bobby pins were found nearby."

"two leg bones, an arm bone, pelvic, coccyx, and several rib ones were found in a shallow grave."

"the lower jaw bone was later found about a mile from the spot the skull was found. Neither the upper nor lower jaw contained any teeth that might aid in identification of the remains."

"officers believe the bones were scattered by coyotes"

"Seek Identity of Skeleton Left In Desert," Desert Dispatch, November 3, 1955, pg 1.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abk018
Back