GUILTY Ca - Becky Friedli, 18, Vicki, 53, & Jon Hayward, 55, Slain, Palm Desert, 17 Sep 2006

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I kind of came into this case a bit late, but does anyone know why three men went to an 18 year old's home in the first place? If one of those men had an issue with her, why take two friends, if you are not there for nefarious purposes?

Three? Did I miss something? I thought it was only Pape & Smith....

Wasn't there a driver?

Not that I know of??!! Maybe thinking about the guy in the red pickup truck that went whizzing by the fire trucks as they were going to the fire?

Yep.
Now the rotten 'Appeal Stuff'.:(
So Smith's Phone indicates he is at the site: Why??? :D
For a 'joy ride' only, and has nothing to do with the murders.
What about his discussions with the other creep, to 'get their story' straight.:)

Attorney of Man Convicted in Pinyon Pines Murders Says It’s Not Over[/Qpresenting
I may be wrong, but I don't think that would be grounds for an appeal..."alternate theories or suspects" have to be backed up by evidence...so if there is no evidence against Javier Garcia or his cousin Jacob then the judge is right to not allow them....does anyone know what other grounds they would have for an appeal?

Last edited:
I don't think they are allowed to present

I may be wrong, but I don't think that would be grounds for an appeal..."alternate theories or suspects" have to be backed up by evidence...so if there is no evidence against JG or his cousin J then the judge is right to not allow them....does anyone know what other grounds they would have for an appeal?

Last edited by a moderator:
I may be wrong, but I don't think that would be grounds for an appeal..."alternate theories or suspects" have to be backed up by evidence...so if there is no evidence against JG or his cousin J then the judge is right to not allow them....does anyone know what other grounds they would have for an appeal?
It was ruled in prelimary hearings that the alternate suspects didn’t meet the standard for third party culpability in the state of ca, that’s why they couldn’t present it. If I remember correctly there were cell phone pings that put Garcia on 74 (the route to pinyon pines), but I think it showed him turning around and returning to the valley.

I don’t know if they’ll have grounds for appeal, but they will for sure try. The family has said that they believed the judge was against them and acting pro-prosecution. They’ll fight really hard to get this overturned.

It sucks this wasn't recorded but it's so nice knowing this case was retried and the verdict is guilty – anyone know if transcripts are posted anywhere?

It sucks this wasn't recorded but it's so nice knowing this case was retried and the verdict is guilty – anyone know if transcripts are posted
No transcripts have been posted yet. We are all anxiously waiting...

Hi Shanda. I haven’t heard people discussing a motive, many people use the “no motive” argument to profess their belief in the defendants innocence.

I, however, will share with you what I believe in my heart to be the truth. I think that Becky and Robert had a romantic encounter after Robert started dating his future wife, Sara. I think that there was some information that Robert didn’t want Becky to tell Sara. Had they had sex? Was she gossiping? Did Becky know some secret? I think they killed her to keep her silent.
My theory is similar. I think they had sex prior and she may have been (or said she was) pregnant. He lured her away with some crap about the baby, not wanting her parents to be home & giving her that card they later found. Wasn’t the card from a pro-life adoption clinic or something? Then killed her. Not sure why his buddy would go along. No proof of any of this—just a theory.

I also want to know what Smith said in the police interrogation room when he was alone. Defense made a motion to suppress it but I never saw that the judge ruled on it or any mention of it during the trial. I’m very curious in how damning it may have been. No amount of googling is helping.

Last edited:
Reactions: byo
My theory is similar. I think they had sex prior and she may have been (or said she was) pregnant. He lured her away with some crap about the baby, not wanting her parents to be home & giving her that card they later found. Wasn’t the card from a pro-life adoption clinic or something? Then killed her. Not sure why his buddy would go along. No proof of any of this—just a theory.

I also want to know what Smith said in the police interrogation room when he was alone. Defense made a motion to suppress it but I never saw that the judge ruled on it or any mention of it during the trial. I’m very curious in how damning it may have been. No amount of googling is helping.

I think that’s a very likely scenario, especially given their ages and circumstances.

Yeah, Smith is interesting because IMO he acted more like he had a guilty conscience; looking more nervous, recoiling from crime scene photos and purposefully moving his chair to avoid seeing the photos. From what I read, he never acted like he disagreed vehemently with prosecutors unlike Robert Pape, who would shake his head in disagreement and seemed relatively unphased the whole time.

I’m not sure that the tape was ever actually presented—I know they played the first interview detectives did with smith. The one you’re referencing was from 2012 before they brought the charges forth. Hey said he made “incriminating” statements when alone in the room, but the defense argued anything said was unintelligible. I think that’s all we know so far since I don’t know that anyone actually heard the tape. I imagine we will eventually hear/see it no that the case is over.

I think that’s a very likely scenario, especially given their ages and circumstances.

Yeah, Smith is interesting because IMO he acted more like he had a guilty conscience; looking more nervous, recoiling from crime scene photos and purposefully moving his chair to avoid seeing the photos. From what I read, he never acted like he disagreed vehemently with prosecutors unlike Robert Pape, who would shake his head in disagreement and seemed relatively unphased the whole time.

I’m not sure that the tape was ever actually presented—I know they played the first interview detectives did with smith. The one you’re referencing was from 2012 before they brought the charges forth. Hey said he made “incriminating” statements when alone in the room, but the defense argued anything said was unintelligible. I think that’s all we know so far since I don’t know that anyone actually heard the tape. I imagine we will eventually hear/see it no that the case is over.

I also found it quite difficult to find information. I heard that they couldn't present the tape b/c he wasn't read his rights (he wasn't under arrest, just left alone in the interrogation room) His relative that keeps harassing people online commented that the tape doesn't exist. Both the prosecution & defense acknowledged its' existence so I don't know why she lied. It just reinforces the lack of credibility their defence has.

I've been following this case since I stumbled upon the CBS '48 hours' documentary in 2015. Have since watched various YouTube videos, listened to podcasts (eg here), read the Grand Jury trial transcript (more links here), news articles (eg here) and miscellaneous other sources (eg facebook, twitter).

Anyway, below is an index to key earlier posts in this thread (tweets of the courtroom events, links to articles, etc). Hopefully makes it easier to locate certain events, witness testimony, evidence, etc. For anybody seeking a summary, closing arguments by both prosecution and defense appear in posts #316 thru #319 on page 16 of the thread. Sorry about any errors, it was hurriedly compiled.

Page 3 (assumes 20 posts per page)
#43, #45: possibly incriminating video (Cristin)
#50: pre-trial motions
#54: trial preparations, defendants agree to single jury

Page 4
#62: case synopsis/introduction
#63, #64: opening statement by prosecution
#65, #66: opening statement by John Patrick Dolan (Cristin's lawyer)
#67: Testimony from Tim Summerlee (Friedli's neighbor who was first on scene)
#68, #69: Summerlee cross-examined by defense
#70, #71, #74: Testimony from Fire Captain Jeff Williams
#76: Testimony from RSO Deputy Jerry Osterloh (mainly about wheelbarrow)
#79, #80: Testimony from RSO Sgt Ben Ramirez

Page 5
#81: Testimony from RSO Sgt Ben Ramirez; Dolan begins cross-examination
#82: Dolan's cross of Sgt Ramirez continued
#83, #84, #85: Dolan/Moore cross of Sgt Ramirez
#86, #87: Testimony of Tiffany Teasdale (Becky's older sister)
#92: (link to article) "Pathologist reveals autopsy findings"; (link to article) "Defendants suffering from lack of sleep"

Page 6
#101: (Xojoanne26 on case background)
#107: Marie Whidman (donor of business card) testifies
#108, #109: Dr Elayne Pope (forensic scientist; expert on corpse burning) testifies
#110, #111 #113: Cross of Dr Pope by defense
#116: Court agrees that Javier Garcia Jr's testimony may be heard
#117 thru #120: Testimony from Javier

Page 7
#120 thru #123: Testimony from Javier continues
#124 thru #128, #131, #132: Cross of Javier by defense
#135 thru #140: Cross of RSO investigator Gary LeClair by defense (wheelbarrow, business card)

Page 8
#141, #142 #144, #147 thru #151: Cross of RSO investigator Gary LeClair (continued)
#153: (link to article) "Former lead investigator testifies"
#156: (link to CBS documentary, transcript) case background

Page 9
#168 thru #172: Court listening to audio of Robert's police interview (on Sept 18)
#176 thru #178: Court listening to audio of Cristin's police interview by Scott Michaels
#179: Defense questioning Detective Scott Michaels
#180: Prosecution re-questions Detective Michaels

Page 10
#183 thru #187: Defense examining unnamed expert witness from HIT lab regarding pen found at scene, DNA, fingerprinting
#188 thru #190: Testimony from Blaine Kern, owner/founder of HIT
#191 thru #193: Testimony from Kevin Boles (FBI special agent) re cellphone towers evidence
#195 thru #199: Defense cross of Kevin Boles
#200: Testimony from RSO Lieutenant Jeff Buonpensiero(guns found in Robert's bedroom)

Page 11
#201 thru #203: Testimony from Lieutenant Buonpensiero (continued)
#203, #204: Testimony from Detective Ken Patterson (received phone call at office)
#206: Testimony from Jessica 'Drew' Friedli (Becky's older sister)
#207: Testimony from RSO investigator Caleb Curtner (examination of evidence found on Cristin and Robert's cellphones)
#208: (link to article) "Witness waffles about victim's love interests"
#214 thru #216: Testimony from Greg Guillette (senior analyst with Gladiator Forensics): expert analysis of cellphone data
#217, #218, #220: Defense cross of Greg Guillette, questioning reliability of cellphone tower evidence

Page 12
#222: Testimony from RSO police officer James Dickey, re witness/informant Jeremy Witt. Defense would like to get Witt impeached
#224, #226: Issues regarding reliability of witness Jeremy Witt
#227: Jeremy Witt on witness stand answering questions (minimal detail provided)
#229: Gregory Ellis on witness stand answering questions (minimal detail provided)
#230 thru #232: Testimony from James Carter (neighbor of Jeremy Witt)
#232: Testimony from Sam Gayer (workmate of James Carter and Robert Pape, friend of Robert and Cristin). Minimal detail provided
#233: Testimony from Investigator Marek Kasprzyk (went to serve papers to James Carter; not much detail)
#234: (link to article) "Telecommunications expert takes stand"
#235: link to article re witness impeachment
#238, #239: defense discussing whether transcripts of Jeremy Witt's testimony should be allowed
#240: Investigator Michael Gavin reads transcript of Jeremy Witt's evidence

Page 13
#241 thru #244, #246: transcript of Jeremy Witt's evidence
#250: (link to same CBS documentary, transcript) case background
#251: Brief testimony from Eric Gilkerson (FBI examiner of footprints/tire impressions); testimony from Investigator Ryan Bodmer regarding Jeremy Witt (claims that Cristin told him that he was involved in the murders); (link to article) "Key witness does not take to stand"
#256: Defense cross of Investigator Ryan Bodmer

Page 14
#262: Testimony from Jessica Woodbridge from Bank of America. Shows that no activity present on Robert Pape's bank statement for night of murder
#262 thru #265, #267, #268: Testimony from Sara Honaker (Robert's ex wife)
#269: DNA evidence from Becky's sock; testimony from Alma Flores (fingerprint analyst from CA Dept of Justice)
#270: (link to article) "Robert Pape's ex-wife takes stand"
#278: covers (sans jury) impeachment hearing for Jeremy Witt
#279, #280: Testimony from Corrie Smith (food and beverage manager for Knott's Soak City) -- re Witt impeachment

Page 15
#284: Gregory Ellis returns to give testimony re Jeremy Witt (impeachment hearing)
#290: Judge refuses defense request to dismiss some DNA evidence
#291: discussing stipulations
#292: judge and counsels discussing Jeremy Witt
#296, #297: Defense begins. Testimony from RSO deputy Daniel Godnick, James 'Wesley' Carter, Investigator Marek Kasprzeyk
#299, #300: Testimony from RSO chief deputy Brandon Ford
#300: Gary LeClair recalled to stand by defense

Page 16
#301: More testimony from Gary LeClair; Sgt Ben Ramirez recalled to stand by defense to give testimony; also testimony from RSO investigator Lester Harvey
#302: Testimony from Richard Takenaga (Cal Dept of Justice)
#304: (link to article) "Prosecution rests"
#306: Testimony from Jennifer Sniff (forensic technician for RC DA's office). Re business card
#307: RSO detective Ryan Bodmer recalled by defense
#309: (link to article) "After 13 witnesses, defense rests"
#313: Preparation (judge's instruction) for closing statements by prosecution and defense
#316: Closing argument by prosecution's assistant DA John Aki
#317: Closing argument by Cristin's lawyer John Patrick Dolan
#318: Closing argument by Robert's lawyer Jeff Moore (includes possible alternate scenario)
#319: Rebuttal argument by assistant DA Aki
#320 onward: Jury retires to deliberate………..

Last edited:
I've been following this case since I stumbled upon the CBS '48 hours' documentary in 2015. Have since watched various YouTube videos, listened to podcasts (eg here), read the Grand Jury trial transcript (more links here), news articles (eg here) and miscellaneous other sources (eg facebook, twitter).

Anyway, below is an index to key earlier posts in this thread (tweets of the courtroom events, links to articles, etc). Hopefully makes it easier to locate certain events, witness testimony, evidence, etc. For anybody seeking a summary, closing arguments by both prosecution and defense appear in posts #316 thru #319 on page 16 of the thread. Sorry about any errors, it was hurriedly compiled.

Page 3 (assumes 20 posts per page)
#43, #45: possibly incriminating video (Cristin)
#50: pre-trial motions
#54: trial preparations, defendants agree to single jury

Page 4
#62: case synopsis/introduction
#63, #64: opening statement by prosecution
#65, #66: opening statement by John Patrick Dolan (Cristin's lawyer)
#67: Testimony from Tim Summerlee (Friedli's neighbor who was first on scene)
#68, #69: Summerlee cross-examined by defense
#70, #71, #74: Testimony from Fire Captain Jeff Williams
#76: Testimony from RSO Deputy Jerry Osterloh (mainly about wheelbarrow)
#79, #80: Testimony from RSO Sgt Ben Ramirez

Page 5
#81: Testimony from RSO Sgt Ben Ramirez; Dolan begins cross-examination
#82: Dolan's cross of Sgt Ramirez continued
#83, #84, #85: Dolan/Moore cross of Sgt Ramirez
#86, #87: Testimony of Tiffany Teasdale (Becky's older sister)
#92: (link to article) "Pathologist reveals autopsy findings"; (link to article) "Defendants suffering from lack of sleep"

Page 6
#101: (Xojoanne26 on case background)
#107: Marie Whidman (donor of business card) testifies
#108, #109: Dr Elayne Pope (forensic scientist; expert on corpse burning) testifies
#110, #111 #113: Cross of Dr Pope by defense
#116: Court agrees that Javier Garcia Jr's testimony may be heard
#117 thru #120: Testimony from Javier

Page 7
#120 thru #123: Testimony from Javier continues
#124 thru #128, #131, #132: Cross of Javier by defense
#135 thru #140: Cross of RSO investigator Gary LeClair by defense (wheelbarrow, business card)

Page 8
#141, #142 #144, #147 thru #151: Cross of RSO investigator Gary LeClair (continued)
#153: (link to article) "Former lead investigator testifies"
#156: (link to CBS documentary, transcript) case background

Page 9
#168 thru #172: Court listening to audio of Robert's police interview (on Sept 18)
#176 thru #178: Court listening to audio of Cristin's police interview by Scott Michaels
#179: Defense questioning Detective Scott Michaels
#180: Prosecution re-questions Detective Michaels

Page 10
#183 thru #187: Defense examining unnamed expert witness from HIT lab regarding pen found at scene, DNA, fingerprinting
#188 thru #190: Testimony from Blaine Kern, owner/founder of HIT
#191 thru #193: Testimony from Kevin Boles (FBI special agent) re cellphone towers evidence
#195 thru #199: Defense cross of Kevin Boles
#200: Testimony from RSO Lieutenant Jeff Buonpensiero(guns found in Robert's bedroom)

Page 11
#201 thru #203: Testimony from Lieutenant Buonpensiero (continued)
#203, #204: Testimony from Detective Ken Patterson (received phone call at office)
#206: Testimony from Jessica 'Drew' Friedli (Becky's older sister)
#207: Testimony from RSO investigator Caleb Curtner (examination of evidence found on Cristin and Robert's cellphones)
#208: (link to article) "Witness waffles about victim's love interests"
#214 thru #216: Testimony from Greg Guillette (senior analyst with Gladiator Forensics): expert analysis of cellphone data
#217, #218, #220: Defense cross of Greg Guillette, questioning reliability of cellphone tower evidence

Page 12
#222: Testimony from RSO police officer James Dickey, re witness/informant Jeremy Witt. Defense would like to get Witt impeached
#224, #226: Issues regarding reliability of witness Jeremy Witt
#227: Jeremy Witt on witness stand answering questions (minimal detail provided)
#229: Gregory Ellis on witness stand answering questions (minimal detail provided)
#230 thru #232: Testimony from James Carter (neighbor of Jeremy Witt)
#232: Testimony from Sam Gayer (workmate of James Carter and Robert Pape, friend of Robert and Cristin). Minimal detail provided
#233: Testimony from Investigator Marek Kasprzyk (went to serve papers to James Carter; not much detail)
#234: (link to article) "Telecommunications expert takes stand"
#235: link to article re witness impeachment
#238, #239: defense discussing whether transcripts of Jeremy Witt's testimony should be allowed
#240: Investigator Michael Gavin reads transcript of Jeremy Witt's evidence

Page 13
#241 thru #244, #246: transcript of Jeremy Witt's evidence
#250: (link to same CBS documentary, transcript) case background
#251: Brief testimony from Eric Gilkerson (FBI examiner of footprints/tire impressions); testimony from Investigator Ryan Bodmer regarding Jeremy Witt (claims that Cristin told him that he was involved in the murders); (link to article) "Key witness does not take to stand"
#256: Defense cross of Investigator Ryan Bodmer

Page 14
#262: Testimony from Jessica Woodbridge from Bank of America. Shows that no activity present on Robert Pape's bank statement for night of murder
#262 thru #265, #267, #268: Testimony from Sara Honaker (Robert's ex wife)
#269: DNA evidence from Becky's sock; testimony from Alma Flores (fingerprint analyst from CA Dept of Justice)
#270: (link to article) "Robert Pape's ex-wife takes stand"
#278: covers (sans jury) impeachment hearing for Jeremy Witt
#279, #280: Testimony from Corrie Smith (food and beverage manager for Knott's Soak City) -- re Witt impeachment

Page 15
#284: Gregory Ellis returns to give testimony re Jeremy Witt (impeachment hearing)
#290: Judge refuses defense request to dismiss some DNA evidence
#291: discussing stipulations
#292: judge and counsels discussing Jeremy Witt
#296, #297: Defense begins. Testimony from RSO deputy Daniel Godnick, James 'Wesley' Carter, Investigator Marek Kasprzeyk
#299, #300: Testimony from RSO chief deputy Brandon Ford
#300: Gary LeClair recalled to stand by defense

Page 16
#301: More testimony from Gary LeClair; Sgt Ben Ramirez recalled to stand by defense to give testimony; also testimony from RSO investigator Lester Harvey
#302: Testimony from Richard Takenaga (Cal Dept of Justice)
#304: (link to article) "Prosecution rests"
#306: Testimony from Jennifer Sniff (forensic technician for RC DA's office). Re business card
#307: RSO detective Ryan Bodmer recalled by defense
#309: (link to article) "After 13 witnesses, defense rests"
#313: Preparation (judge's instruction) for closing statements by prosecution and defense
#316: Closing argument by prosecution's assistant DA John Aki
#317: Closing argument by Cristin's lawyer John Patrick Dolan
#318: Closing argument by Robert's lawyer Jeff Moore (includes possible alternate scenario)
#319: Rebuttal argument by assistant DA Aki
#320 onward: Jury retires to deliberate………..

Fantastic. This is wonderful, hanover. :)
What a lot of work.

Fantastic. This is wonderful, hanover. :)
What a lot of work.
hanover.
Welcome, I notice your first message, and you certainly have sleuthed well. :):)
See you around

welcome%281%29-smiley-face.gif
to WS and this thread!

WOW! You did a great job there putting everything in order!

I also found it quite difficult to find information. I heard that they couldn't present the tape b/c he wasn't read his rights (he wasn't under arrest, just left alone in the interrogation room) His relative that keeps harassing people online commented that the tape doesn't exist. Both the prosecution & defense acknowledged its' existence so I don't know why she lied. It just reinforces the lack of credibility their defence has.

Yes Shanda.
Picking up clear LIES, with evidence to prove this, is Great.
Prosecution were not fooled.
Again Karma at work.:)
Slowly, throughout our threads, and EVERYWHERE, these creeps are nabbed.
YIPPEE.:D

IMO they are not guilty. Was it planned or not planned? None of it makes any sense, was Becky's body staged? Who was in that red truck? The smoking gun is a business card at the scene that had his DNA and fingerprint on it. If it was planned, they seem smart enough to have carried it out better. If unplanned why was the time to stage the body? They found footprints, I guess it safe to assume they were the wrong size or the prosecution would have made a big deal out of that. No way these two did it. If you think they are guilty , what makes you think so?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Patturelli
Back