Found Deceased CA - Blaze Bernstein, 19, Lake Forest, 2 Jan 2018 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
http://abc7.com/family-launches-search-for-pa-college-student-missing-in-oc/2869043/

This was an earlier article already posted, ( thanks JerseyGirl ) but what jumped out most at me was the statement by his mother about him leaving his eyeglasses at home.

"...This is someone that needs to wear eyeglasses..."

I may be interpreting her statement incorrectly but it sounds as though he wears his glasses all the time. Not just for reading, or for distance, etc.

Nothing is mentioned about contact lens either.

( He's 19 too, not a small child where a parent may be actively battling that child's resistance to wearing glasses. )

Since I have worn glasses and/or contacts all my life, this statement has really struck me.

Vision impairment comes in all degrees of course, but if you need glasses to see, you wouldn't think of leaving without them.

Maybe I'm assuming too much, but I can't imagine any normal scenario that allows someone to willingly leave their glasses at home.

Very strange.

My heart goes out to his parents. They are living a nightmare...

JMO

Ok, so they know for a fact that he texted a female friend to meet him at the park, correct? I'm just going by what folks are posting above thread, so please do correct me if I am wrong. Did she end up meeting him in the park after all? What is her version of what happened? I find it convenient that this information is being withheld, if this is a fact that he texted her to meet him there.

I don't blame his friend for anything. It sounds to me that they were caring enough to go back because instinct told them something waasn't right, after not hearing from Blaze. Let's face it, they probably were a little unnerved going into a park after a friend, not knowing if they were just having a good ole time for themself and he probably didn't want to interupt Blaze's fun or embarrass him and whoever was supposed to be there. Him going back to check on him tells me he got worried that something wasn't right- maybe he thought that he fell and hurt himself and needed help- we need to remember these are 19 year olds. They don't have years of worry, fear, and wisdom like the rest of us here on the board. We've seen, heard, and witnessed some not so nice stuff along the way in our lives, but as kids, I can tell you, not that many 19 year olds post on WS or other places like this- they're too busy doing what we did at that age- living life to the fullest, having fun. Obviously he was a cautious kid- otherwise, he would have walked to the park by himself, where it was so close to home.

I want to know more about this female that texted him and why it lead him to the park.

Yes. So it's surprising to me that both Blaze and the friend would be ok being alone there. It backs up to a ranch as well as a pretty large wilderness. It's not like a community park in that it doesn't cover a small area.

attachment.php

I don't think the pin is in the correct spot. It should be the green finger to the left I believe.
Just jumping off your post...

Borrego Park is small... But a trail leads into a wilderness park with vast open area...

I have hiked in the Whiting Wilderness Park... A few times...

I have never covered the whole park...

Miles of trails... And this vast area leads to other connecting vast wilderness areas...

There is a great deal of hiking and cycling traffic at Whiting during the weekend...

Hopefully some clues will be found today or tomorrow...

I am hoping for good news...

Naw, bathroom hook-ups are a thing of the past for the most part. Local LE have cracked down for years on those types of venues, going so far as to send in decoys for the express purpose of entrapping gay men. Now that we have the sex offender registry if you get busted for even propositioning someone for sex you will be placed on the registry as a sex offender, so the vast majority of gay men just don't risk it anymore, at least not in enclosed spaces like bathrooms. Public cruising as also been mostly replaced because of the advent of the phone apps, so instead of going somewhere and risking the cops hassling you, you just hop on the app and find someone.

I agree about the friend, I wish he or LE would reveal who Blaze was meeting that night but IF this was a hook-up I can certainly see why they would hold that type of info back, especially in Orange Co, which is a die-hard Republican strong-hold.

Thank you so much for your input. Wanted to add that nothing on his FB page jumped out to me regarding his sexuality either but looking at his father’s page he seems to be very supportive of all lifestyles. If this was the case, I can also see why it wouldn’t be released to the media, unfortunately. I would really like to see this case treated differently than the Bryce Laspisa one was. Holding pertinent information from the public to try and shield the family or Bryce did not help find him and now here we are years later and he is still missing. Heartbreaking.

Where are you, Blaze?

Ok, so they know for a fact that he texted a female friend to meet him at the park, correct? I'm just going by what folks are posting above thread, so please do correct me if I am wrong. Did she end up meeting him in the park after all? What is her version of what happened? I find it convenient that this information is being withheld, if this is a fact that he texted her to meet him there.

I don't blame his friend for anything. It sounds to me that they were caring enough to go back because instinct told them something waasn't right, after not hearing from Blaze. Let's face it, they probably were a little unnerved going into a park after a friend, not knowing if they were just having a good ole time for themself and he probably didn't want to interupt Blaze's fun or embarrass him and whoever was supposed to be there. Him going back to check on him tells me he got worried that something wasn't right- maybe he thought that he fell and hurt himself and needed help- we need to remember these are 19 year olds. They don't have years of worry, fear, and wisdom like the rest of us here on the board. We've seen, heard, and witnessed some not so nice stuff along the way in our lives, but as kids, I can tell you, not that many 19 year olds post on WS or other places like this- they're too busy doing what we did at that age- living life to the fullest, having fun. Obviously he was a cautious kid- otherwise, he would have walked to the park by himself, where it was so close to home.

I want to know more about this female that texted him and why it lead him to the park.

I had considered other scenarios, too (stated in other posts)...

Perhaps, though, if he really was upset...
Perhaps he was meeting with a girlfriend who was breaking off a relationship?

this could be hard for him to take...

Just a thought... :thinking:

Just jumping off your post...

Borrego Park is small... But a trail leads into a wilderness park with vast open area...

I have hiked in the Whiting Wilderness Park... A few times...

I have never covered the whole park...

Miles of trails... And this vast area leads to other connecting vast wilderness areas...

There is a great deal of hiking and cycling traffic at Whiting during the weekend...

Hopefully some clues will be found today or tomorrow...

I am hoping for good news...

Looking at photos of Whiting Park yesterday my heart sank. I really hope they have ongoing additional searches of the area. How many times have we heard about searches being “thoroughly” conducted only to find out days or weeks later that they missed something?

Looking at photos of Whiting Park yesterday my heart sank. I really hope they have ongoing additional searches of the area. How many times have we heard about searches being “thoroughly” conducted only to find out days or weeks later that they missed something?

Some of the trails are quite easy... Some moderate... Some difficult...

But ALL trails are surrounded by ravines, culverts, etc...

There are no lights in the Wilderness park...
and no camping...

No matter how well one knows this park...
I imagine (especially without glasses) it would be fairly easy to get lost...

Or... To hide a body...(sorry...:( )

Around 10:30 p.m., Bernstein texted his address to a friend, who came to the home and picked him up.

They drove to Borrego Park together, where they were going to meet up with another friend. While the first friend waited near a restroom, Bernstein walked toward the park to meet the other friend.

About an hour later, he sent a final text to a female friend, and then his phone apparently stopped working. The friend who picked him up said he never returned, and he left.

Blaze's phone was turned off at 11:30 p.m.

Bernstein's parents said he didn't have his ID, wallet, money, credit cards or glasses with him.

http://ktla.com/2018/01/05/universi...g-after-going-to-meet-up-with-friend-at-park/

Wouldn't this type of hook up usually happen in or around the restroom (the only restrooms in Whiting Ranch are portable restrooms in the parking lot?)

No doubt his friend knows why he was meeting someone in the park. Wish the public did, if it would help locate him.

https://www.ocregister.com/2018/01/...ng-19-year-old-lake-forest-man/#disqus_thread

Just jumping off the mention of "restroom"...FWIW. Not done catching up may have already been brought forward...

:thinking:

Snipped from the link in opening post...

...The friend who drove him to the park, who has been interviewed by the Sheriff’s Department, went to the restroom while Bernstein walked into the park toward Whiting Ranch Wilderness Park, Voght said. The two parks are linked by a trail.

-1 hour ago

Snipped...
...Blaze N. Bernstein, who was visiting with family on winter break from the University of Pennsylvania, went to Borrego Park that night to meet someone for unknown reasons, said Annee Della Donna, an attorney and friend of the family. At 9:30 p.m., he sent a text message with his family's Lake Forest address for a high school buddy to pick him up and take him to the park to meet the third person, she said.

The park is five minutes away and they got there at 10:30 p.m., the attorney said. Bernstein went off alone into the park while his friend waited back in the car, the attorney said.

https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/...-Missing-Orange-County-Teenage-468211203.html

Am I the only one who is confused with the reporting?

The police are quoted as saying nothing indicates BB was depressed or anything other than happy yet the last person to see him is stating he was upset? Does this mean that the police don’t believe BB’s friend?

Also, “friend” is stated to have been at the restroom in one article but staying in the car at the park in numerous others?

Now it is being reported that BB needs his medication daily and his glasses (which to me, contact lens/glasses dependent, is huge) to function.

Is “friend” (the driver) a male or female? Why has it not been reported? Or has it been? I think the word “buddy” was used or something similar.

Most perplexing to me is why no one seems to know who he was meeting at the park. Wouldn’t his buddy (the driver) ask why they were taking him to the park? Who he was meeting?

I hope BB’s parents are able to do more interviews and keep this in the news until he is found.

Bernstein was recently elected to be the managing editor of Penn Appetit, the student-run magazine on food at Penn. Penn Appetit Business Manager and College sophomore Kate Kassin said Bernstein had not been responding to messages in their new board-wide group chat.

“He was very excited about [the magazine]," Bernstein's father said. "He was working on that over the winter break and showed us the magazine they just published, which he significantly contributed to.”

http://www.thedp.com/article/2018/0...-blaze-bernstein-philadelphia-blaze-bernstein

There seems to be a conflict (at least in regards to the above) about what may have been reality vs. what BB was telling his parents, unfortunately.

http://www.thedp.com/article/2018/0...-blaze-bernstein-philadelphia-blaze-bernstein

There seems to be a conflict (at least in regards to the above) about what may have been reality vs. what BB was telling his parents, unfortunately.

That's a very good possibility. I attended college on the other side of the country from my family as well. I never told my parents about the troubles I was having when I first went away to school, I knew my mom especially would panic. So this scenario wouldn't surprise me in the least that he painted a cheery picture to family and friends to keep them from being concerned.

The fact that BB left without his glasses is not too concerning - in the pics posted of BB he is not wearing glasses. What is concerning is that the friend who picked up BB stated he appeared upset. It’s been 4 days since the last sighting. Extensive search of the park is needed.

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2018/01/05/missing-student-from-foothill-ranch/

Thanks, and yes you're right. He's not wearing glasses in the photo. So maybe he doesn't wear them all the time.

I still think it's notable though that his mother made a point of mentioning that he needed his glasses....

( BBM )

ETA: It may not apply here, but some people do remove glasses for photos. A friend does it all the time. Not sure why...

I agree with you too about the more important significance of him appearing upset when he was picked up by his friend.

None of it sounds good at this point from any angle..

JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member