Found Deceased CA - Blaze Bernstein, 19, Lake Forest, 2 Jan 2018 #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Gosh I’ve been consumed by this and need to take a break, something hit close to my heart. The combination of it being so close to home and the pictures of B.B., this mystery...I’ve got to get to bed. But just wanted to say how nice it is to be on a forum where everyone is so nice to each other and it isn’t so gossipy. Usually comments on news articles, next door.com, or Facebook pages people are so nasty so I just close the page with a bad feeling. But this case I wanted some more answers and have so many questions...anyways, I’m going to tuck my kiddos in one last time and kiss their sweet cheeks. Hold you loved ones extra close. Praying for Blaze tonight and his family [emoji173]️
Beautiful sign-off, T_mar. You're so right. [emoji254]

http://abc7.com/family-launches-search-for-pa-college-student-missing-in-oc/2869043/

Blaze takes medication and needs it to function, according to mother.

FWIW, I take an anti-depressant offlabel for OCD, and I have said the exact phrase that BB’s mother has said when discussing my medication; “I need it to function.” I have been without it before, and it is ugly... even other anti-depressants can’t help.

There should not be any shame or stigma for BB needing medication, or having a medical condition that requires medication to treat it.

JMO, MOO, etc.

For those who think BB ran off or is in hiding, where do you think he is hiding? And why don't you think he would have been in contact with his parents or his best friend by now? TIA

Honestly, I'm not inclined to think either one of these. I think if he were able he would get ahold of someone. I'm just not sure of the reason behind him not being able. Holding out hope.

FWIW, I take an anti-depressant offlabel for OCD, and I have said the exact phrase that BB’s mother has said when discussing my medication; “I need it to function.” I have been without it before, and it is ugly... even other anti-depressants can’t help.

There should not be any shame or stigma for BB needing medication, or having a medical condition that requires medication to treat it.

JMO, MOO, etc.
Timely you should mention this. The meds have come up over and over again in this thread with no fresh angles, so I normally scroll and roll past the topic. But your comment on the phrase, "needs it to function," along with your personal anecdote....

I share this experience. I've said these words. I've expressed this thought to a loved one very recently. Yes, when a person goes without, it can be very ugly. And a huge, huge health risk.

I wonder if anyone's counted his pills and cross-referenced his prescription pick-up date? It would be a significant thing to rule out.

For those who think BB ran off or is in hiding, where do you think he is hiding? And why don't you think he would have been in contact with his parents or his best friend by now? TIA

I'm not sure that Blaze is in hiding, but I'm also not sure that he's in the grave.

I honestly think that it's possible that he doesn't know how to come home.

I suppose that it's possible that he intended to return in a few days, but after seeing the stress he put his parents under, the hundreds, if not thousands of people rallied to help look for him, and the amount of resources put into searching for him, he might honestly think that people would be upset to find that he had put them through that for "no reason".

If he left to run away from problems, he might honestly not know how to return and face one he thinks he created. If I was in his shoes, I think that people would be upset to find out that I wasn't dead.

There are more than a few accounts of "found missing persons" talking about this very phenomenon.

Probably the biggest contradiction to this theory is everything that he left behind at home. That's leaning me slightly into the more "dead" than "not wanting to be found" category.

I also remember reading about Blaze texting a female friend at 11:30 pm. This was mentioned in one of the first few reports that I read, but I have not seen a single word of this in any report since.

It is in the first reports by the family (via the family friend/attorney) and also in the first missing poster that was circulated. The family stated it was that text that led them to believe foul play was involved. Not sure if they have since changed their mind on that or, since they choose not to elaborate, don't want to keep mentioning it.

Around 11:30 p.m. Tuesday a puzzling text was sent from Bernstein's cell phone after which the device inexplicably went dead, Dona said. “That last text to a female friend is the reason we are suspecting foul play" she said, declining to elaborate.

https://firenewsfeed.com/news/967069

*This is in reply to someone who asked about "text-girl", which I assumed is the female who received the last text from Blaze's phone.

It's my strong personal opinion, that the female friend who received the strange text from Blaze that made LE think there was foul play involved, was his "best friend" at Penn who helps run the HUFBB page. I don't believe she's in CA, but PA. Someone else mentioned this same theory on the original thread. I just believe this from the info we have so far. I think she got a weird text, and maybe didn't do anything with it (probably not understanding it) but then when it comes out that he's missing, she realizes it's relevant, and calls the parents or LE in CA, and tells them about the text she received that night (the last confirmed text before his phone shuts off). JMO, but I've thought this from the beginning. :/

https://www.google.com/amp/www.datin...t-sex-apps/amp[/URL]

http://www.marieclaire.co.uk/life/se...sex-apps-98365

rssb

Yeah there is a difference between hooking up and cruising. I was specifically referring to cruising.

In the straight world, meeting strangers in parks or dark areas for the specific purpose of sex is really not done except when it involves prostitutes. It still is in the gay world which is why there are sites where you can find the cruising sites in any region.

Cruising is not Grindr and does not involve meeting people you've located
on apps. It involves going to specific spots and seeing who you might meet
and like there. Airport bathrooms and parks are big spots.

Regardless, I don't think that was involved here.

I wonder how he spent his winter break at home? It seems he is very involved with his family. Did he just have a quiet vacation home or did he get together with friends, go out a lot, work at a seasonal job? How long had he been home? How much time had he recently spent with Old Buddy? Were they in touch during the school year too or did they just bump into each other during break?
How good of friends were they in HS? Not too close, I would think, since the friend apparently didn't know where BB lived?

I'm not sure that Blaze is in hiding, but I'm also not sure that he's in the grave.

I suppose that it's possible that he intended to return in a few days, but after seeing the stress he put his parents under, the hundreds, if not thousands of people rallied to help look for him, and the amount of resources put into searching for him, he might honestly think that people would be upset to find that he had put them through that for "no reason".

If he left to run away from problems, he might honestly not know how to return and face one he thinks he created. If I was in his shoes, I think that people would be upset to find out that I wasn't dead.

There are more than a few accounts of "found missing persons" talking about this very phenomenon.

Probably the biggest contradiction to this theory is everything that he left behind at home. That's leaning me slightly into the more "dead" than "not wanting to be found" category.

Makes me wonder if a sensitive theatrical or literary portrayal of a "safe return" might speak to some of the anguished missing and found-missing people. That's heart-wrenching.

I just don't see him as suicidal.
Gotcha. I understand. Please bear with me...since I'm not from there, I can't really judge whether the bridge thing would be feasible or ridiculous. Not necessarily as a question of probability, but possibility. Is it fatally high at those points? Sorry about that.

Gotcha. I understand. Please bear with me...since I'm not from there, I can't really judge whether the bridge thing would be feasible or ridiculous. Not necessarily as a question of probability, but possibility. Is it fatally high at those points? Sorry about that.

I take the toll road by there quite a bit. I'll need to go over it again to specifically look at how far down it is. But right now, I just don't know.

^^ this

I posted this on the original thread right before it was closed.

Hi all, Brand new here. Only found this forum because Blaze is missing from my neighborhood. I haven't read through all sixty some odd pages, but wanted to clarify some stuff I know just from living in Foothill Ranch.

There are two parks with the name "Borrego" in them. Borrego Overlook park is higher up in the residential area. It is smaller and can only be accessed through the neighborhood. This is NOT where he was last seen. Where he was last reported to be seen is Borrego Park. It sits between the local elementary school and the library. You can access it from the school, library, neighborhood and from the backside. The backside walking trail leads down a rather steep, long path to a shopping center. This trail can not be accessed by cars. The shopping center is adjacent to the entrance to Whiting Ranch Wilderness Park.

To get to Borrego Park by car, you go down a driveway that immediately comes to a "T". To the left is the library parking lot, to the right is a small parking lot for the park. The library DOES have surveillance cameras pointed at the library parking lot (aimed at the book drop in the library parking lot). These cameras may be able to see the driveway that leads to both the library and the park, but it is doubtful (due to the way it is laid out) that they will see anything in the park parking lot or park itself.

The parking lot for the park sits at one end of the park. The bathroom is right up against the parking lot. It remains unlocked at night. The playground sits right behind the bathroom. In the middle of the park is a large soccer field. Behind the soccer field is the walking trail to shopping center. There are lights by the parking lot and along the path that leads to the walking trail on the backside of the park. The other side of the park (by school) is VERY dark at night, but it is quite a distance from the parking lot (across a soccer field). The park itself is very flat. There are no houses that back to this park. It is doubtful noise from this park could be heard by any of the homes by the park unless it was something very loud like a gunshot. This is a popular park for walking during the day, but is very quiet at night.

The industrial park (where the Kawasaki building is) sits lower than the park. This area is called FootHILL Ranch for a reason. Lots of slopes and hills.

Whiting Ranch Wilderness Park sits in a valley between the two neighborhoods in Foothill Ranch. There are a lot of trails in the park and lots of areas that are inaccessible too. I've seen a lot of people call it a "forest" and although it has trees, it has far more brush, cactus, shrubs, etc. The park is home to lots of coyotes, snakes and even mountain lions. Anyone who lives here would not go hiking there at night without some serious protection.

I hope this clears up some questions about the layout of the park and surrounding area.

Someone asked if you can see the entrance to Whiting Ranch Park from the parking lot. No, not even close. From the parking lot at the park, you have to walk the length of a soccer field and the width of a basketball court, plus some just to get to the opening to the footpath that leads down the hill. The footpath is paved, fairly steep and has a curve. At the bottom of the footpath, there is a shopping center to the left (coffee place, hair salon, grocery store, gas station, etc.) and a small parking lot and the entrance to Whiting Ranch Park to the right.

From google maps: red x = Parking lot for park (small building right next to it is bathroom). Yellow line is trail across park, down the hill to entrance to Whiting Ranch. Green circle is entrance to whiting ranch. See next 3 pics
attachment.php

Pic below is taken looking toward the shopping center from pink dot on google map. The yellow/orange lights are the footpath. Shopping center to right, Whiting ranch to left (would be other way around if coming down the path)
attachment.php

Pic below is looking up footpath from blue dot on google maps. It is fairly steep, not wide, well lit but rarely travelled at night. I can't imagine forcing/dragging/pulling/carrying someone up or down this path.
attachment.php

This is looking toward Whiting Ranch from the same blue dot on google map pic. The entrance is right in the middle. It is MUCH darker in that direction.
attachment.php

*Sorry, don't know how to rotate the last 2 pics

As a local who hikes Whiting and frequents some of the shops in Foothill Ranch, CA, I commend you on your description of the area and your pics!

:tyou:

Looking at the footbridge in relation to the buildings next to it, I'd wager that it's probably three to five stories above the ground. As far as methods of suicide go, it's not guaranteed, and pretty punishing if it failed. I'm relatively sure the police would have thought to check this already, however.

I have a similar suspicion. I am thinking if he did leave and wanted a day or two to clear his mind he probably did not imagine or intend for all of the community and media attention. At this point I could understand why he would be uncomfortable to come home.

Many people seem to think that the fact that he left everything at home meant he planned to return. I sort of think it suggests the opposite. If he planned this he could have already ordered a duplicate ID before he left. He may have had a secret stash of cash that he saved up. I am wondering if they check to see if he had a venmo account.

Another question. Aren't adults allowed to disappear? If the police determine there is no foul play then will the parents even have access to his accounts? Would he be committing any crime by disappearing?

I feel like this is putting everything into a different context.

The initial suspicions from the last thread were that Blaze was murdered, and the appeals for Blaze to come home were to lure Blaze's murderer into a false sense of security until police could find enough evidence to arrest him.

Especially with the earlier comment about the "medication needed to function", I'm actually much more convinced that these aren't a subversive ploy to catch a killer. I think police might have got the sense that Blaze's friend was stonewalling in an attempt to hide Blaze's location, but not because he was murdered.

Honestly, this case is incredibly confusing.

I remember an interview where Gideon Bernstein suggested that Blaze might have run away and could come home, which his mother immediately shuts down as "not something Blaze would do". Does anyone have a link to it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member