Found Deceased CA - Blaze Bernstein, 19, Lake Forest, 2 Jan 2018 #7 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know there’s been a lot of discussions about the various factors that led SW to murder Blaze. There’s been a lot of speculation about his parents, his religion, the Boy Scouts, possible learning disabilities, or mental illness. But realistically, assuming he pleads not guilty, it seems like the only piece that could come out in the trial would be a possible link to militant white nationalist groups - IF they find enough evidence to support a hate crime.

It’s possible SW could use some of that other stuff as mitigating factors in the sentencing stage, but otherwise...maybe dateline will cover it some day?

Meanwhile, back at the ranch...
http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2018/02/05/sam-woodward-bail/

As of a couple days ago, SW had not posted bail. Anyone have a more recent update?

I remember hearing on the news that they weren't going to update the OC Jail website thing page for SW's info for his safety reasons so its hard to know if he is still in jail or out on bail.

Funny I just ran a goggle search for "Eagle scouts becoming or turning into nazi youths" and WOW I found a plethora of articles about how easily Hitler and Mussolini turned their countries boy scouts into fascist national youth organizations... There are a multitude of connections between the boy scouts and nazis

The Atlantic magazine even ran several stories - here is the latest one about how the founder of the Boy Scouts wanted to align them with Nazi youth
https://www.theatlantic.com/nationa...dly-fascist-founder-of-the-boy-scouts/272683/

Edit to add -- it isn't nearly as strange of a connection as I had thought...wow

The articles people here have shared on the psychological significance of multiple stabbing are interesting - thanks for sharing those.

I found a website that talked about how a third of homicides are stabbings, a third are shootings, and a third of homicides are strangulations or beatings. It lists shooting as the least intimate, stabbing second and strangulation as the most intimate.

https://globalnews.ca/news/1272761/how-stabbings-are-different-from-other-homicidal-attacks/

"One third of all killings have been stabbings, one third have been shootings (a combination of rifles and handguns), and one third have been beatings or strangulations.
“[Stabbings are] not as intimate as strangulation or beating, so there’s a little more distance with stabbing—not as much as with a gun, but a little more than say beating or strangulation.”

And this website about criminal profiling http://www.apa.org/monitor/julaug04/criminal.aspx

"The basic premise is that behavior reflects personality," explains retired FBI agent Gregg McCrary. In a homicide case, for example, FBI agents glean insight into personality through questions about the murderer's behavior at four crime phases:

• [*=left]Antecedent: What fantasy or plan, or both, did the murderer have in place before the act? What triggered the murderer to act some days and not others?
    [*=left]Method and manner: What type of victim or victims did the murderer select? What was the method and manner of murder: shooting, stabbing, strangulation or something else?
    [*=left]Body disposal: Did the murder and body disposal take place all at one scene, or multiple scenes?
    [*=left]Postoffense behavior: Is the murderer trying to inject himself into the investigation by reacting to media reports or contacting investigators?

Thinking about SW in those terms above we know pretty much all except the first one - the Antecedent.

I can now see several different antecedent scenarios that could have come into play perhaps each building or combining onto each other.

What I couldn't wrap my head around until now was how he went from being a devout Catholic, Eagle Scout to becoming a neo-nazi murderer. A lifetime of trying for merit badges might condition him to attaining Atomwaffen Divisions's or other Neo Nazis *merit badges* - using radical violence. Thanks Gooddeads, for leading me to that inquiry.

I remember hearing on the news that they weren't going to update the OC Jail website thing page for SW's info for his safety reasons so its hard to know if he is still in jail or out on bail.

Funny I just ran a goggle search for "Eagle scouts becoming or turning into nazi youths" and WOW I found a plethora of articles about how easily Hitler and Mussolini turned their countries boy scouts into fascist national youth organizations... There are a multitude of connections between the boy scouts and nazis

The Atlantic magazine even ran several stories - here is the latest one about how the founder of the Boy Scouts wanted to align them with Nazi youth
https://www.theatlantic.com/nationa...dly-fascist-founder-of-the-boy-scouts/272683/

Edit to add -- it isn't nearly as strange of a connection as I had thought...wow

I think not updating OCSD website should be against the law, it's public info. What about the safety of the community not letting the public, neighborhood, the people know the situation. This is typical CA protect the criminals. This perp in my opinion is extremely dangerous if bailed out but hey its the law right. How can this be legal?

That was interesting. I didn't know any of that including the founder of the Boy Scouts was British.

I was thinking working towards those Boy Scout merit badges learning survival skills- hunting,fishing, knife, rope and knot skills probably wasn't so very different for SW than his neo Nazi camping trip training in a Texas. Im sure he was camping and training in what they called survival skills- shooting self defense, knife and rope skills... and it probably felt similar with the group think and comraderie.

From that history channel excerpt in last post it said the Nazi youth were similar to the Boy Scouts as they
"co-opted many of its activities and traditions. Hitler Youth took part in typical scouting type activities like camping trips, singing, crafts and hiking. They went to summer camps, wore uniforms, recited pledges and told stories over campfires."

I was thinking working towards those Boy Scout merit badges learning survival skills- hunting,fishing, knife, rope and knot skills probably wasn't so very different for SW than his neo Nazi camping trip training in a Texas. Im sure he was camping and training in what they called survival skills- shooting self defense, knife and rope skills... and it probably felt similar with the group think and comraderie.

From that history channel excerpt in last post it said the Nazi youth were similar to the Boy Scouts as they
"co-opted many of its activities and traditions. Hitler Youth took part in typical scouting type activities like camping trips, singing, crafts and hiking. They went to summer camps, wore uniforms, recited pledges and told stories over campfires."

The Nazis co-opted a lot of things besides the boy scouts - they quite literally co-opted a lot of German culture, everything from fairy tales to music.

Any news if SW posted bail or not?

Looks like he is still in custody.
da911591d7727f24016e69af9a7c546d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My son went to the memorial lunch at Kelly Writers House this past weekend - he said it was very sad ...but fun to remember some great memories of Blaze. He said his family is extremely strong. I'm just slightly confused as my son knows Blaze as a sophomore yet the family was given a certificate from Penn portraying Blaze as a member of the class of 2021? Son is certain he has known Blaze for two years at Penn ...Can anyone shed any light on this??

My son went to the memorial lunch at Kelly Writers House this past weekend - he said it was very sad ...but fun to remember some great memories of Blaze. He said his family is extremely strong. I'm just slightly confused as my son knows Blaze as a sophomore yet the family was given a certificate from Penn portraying Blaze as a member of the class of 2021? Son is certain he has known Blaze for two years at Penn ...Can anyone shed any light on this??

I don’t recall specifics, but didn’t he change his major, and was double-majoring? Could that have set him back?

I don’t recall specifics, but didn’t he change his major, and was double-majoring? Could that have set him back?

Yes, he was accepted originally into a very prestigious program at Penn the Vagelos program which the newspapers all say he spent his freshman year in... Yet the family said he planned to major in psychology (which wouldn't be a major in the Vagelos) so we deduced that he left the Vagelos program. Son said the majority of students enrolled in Vagelos don't complete the program as it's too rigorous ...I don't understand though how leaving it and switching to another major would put him a year behind as the courses all transfer or carry over at Penn and you don't declare a major until end of sophomore year. He was definately on campus involved in ec activities all fall.

Maybe explains in a way why he would agree to meet w SW to reminisce with an old school friend who had dropped out or switched up his college plans and Blaze could relate in some ways to that...

Yes, he was accepted originally into a very prestigious program at Penn the Vagelos program which the newspapers all say he spent his freshman year in...

Snippped by me, because this is totally O/T !

Catonahottinroof, I just realized what your user name really says. I apologize in advance if I offend you (don’t mean to!), but my old brain has always read your name as Catona Hottinroof ... and it strikes my funny bone tremendously and makes me smile every time. :hilarious:

According to this article, the #BlazeitForward movement will have a memorial show to honor Blaze this Sunday afternoon (Feb 25th) at the Segerstrom Center for the Arts. The show will feature performances by students from OCSA.

The event is free but a $20 donation to the Blaze Bernstein Memorial Fund is suggested as is some canned food for a food bank. Tickets and reservations are required. For more details, see the article below or the link to the Blaze Bernstein blog, where the event will also be live-streamed.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-bernstein-memorial-20180216-story.html

https://blazebernstein.org/blog/blazeitforward

RIP, Blaze. I guarantee you will not be forgotten.

cherubWithCandle_smaller.jpg

Yes, the Pro Publica article Cat** linked to above is pretty chilling. Every time I hear people say "there's something wrong with an alarming number of our young men," I think to myself...'there's something wrong with an alarming number of our adult men, too' who are supposed to be role models for the young men. The degree, intensity and bitter hatred in the chat logs from Atomwaffen gathered by Pro Publica is disturbing on a level we usually associate with serial killers...https://www.propublica.org/article/atomwaffen-division-inside-white-hate-group

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petrina