CA CA - Bob Harrod, 81, Orange County, 27 July 2009 - # 1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This video came out after Bob and Fontelle got married. Watch Bob in this, especially near the end.

And then I think about what he must have gone through...

http://www.chicagotribune.com/videobeta/?watchId=787b9661-cce5-40f4-ae8a-ec7b54c23643

Two things that stand out in this video:

Bob was of sound mind and did not have dementia.

Bob's love for Fontelle.

Family members put the dementia story out there to give credence to the "Bob didn't know what he was doing when he married Fontelle" theory and the "Bob got cold feet and ran away" theory.

Two things that stand out in this video:

Bob was of sound mind and did not have dementia.

Bob's love for Fontelle.

Family members put the dementia story out there to give credence to the "Bob didn't know what he was doing when he married Fontelle" theory and the "Bob got cold feet and ran away" theory.

Agree.

• At the beginning of last year, Bob decided he needed some time away from his daughters and he asked them to leave him alone for six months
  • Orange County Social Services contacted again by Bob’s family regarding suspected elder financial abuse before he went missing (IS/hearsay/since removed)
  • According to Fontelle, Bob said his daughters became upset the day before he went missing when he told them he planned to include his new wife in the estate
  • After Bob disappeared, someone -- police won't say who -- told officers he might have regretted the decision to marry. For three days police thought they were dealing with a case of cold feet
  • According to the reporter in the Jan 28 video, daughter JM said Bob was “showing signs of dementia”
  • A family member told the media that Bob was showing early signs of dementia. Detectives who interviewed his doctor say Bob was of sound mind, Loomis said
  • According to police sergeant in July 31 article, "Most of the family says he's sharp as a tack"

IMO:
Robert H is missing. I think he is deceased.
I don't know how or where.

But, I do not think his daughters had anything to do with their
dad's disappearance.

From what I remember, they were very glad to see a new person in their dad's life, someone who gave him back his zest for living.
They were enthusiastic about Robert's new wife after meeting her in late June or early July.
I think they had concerns about the barber lady, as she had received large sums of money from Robert H. Whether the money was a loan or a gift, I do not know. But it was the amount of the money that made them request Senior Services to do
a review to see if Robert H was being taken advantage of or not.
Robert did not think so.

As for the Sun. meeting, their mom had a seperate trust. Seperate from the one held by Robert and their mom.
This was not a will.
It had been over a year since their mom's death and no paperwork about this seperate trust.
As I remember it, Robert was to have the trust papers there. He did not.

On the Monday Robert disappeared,
his sil came to help him with small projects getting the house ready for
Fontelle's arrival in two days.
I think this was something the sil did on a regular basis, helping out his father in law with tasks or small projects.

I know there is that pesky discrepancy in the time line, but working with many other missing person cases, there is always something that is not consistent.

I do know that cars were forensically searched.
Everyone close to Robert has been cleared.
I do not know anything about the lie detector tests.
There is no person of interest in Robert's case.

My question is: what happened to Robert Harrod in the space
of less than an hour?

Only the barber woman and her husband have been cleared.

We do not know how much money, if any, Bob gave to the barber woman. We have no specifics on that. Just what the daughters have said or posted.

We do not know if the SIL ever did work around the house. Bob had not had much contact with his family prior to marrying Fontelle. There was also a fight the night before about money between Bob and his daughters.

The last time Bob can be independently verified as being alive and at the house is 10 am on the day he disappeared.

Question...if the daughters were in their mother's trust, why did they have to depend on their Dad to have the papers? Wouldnt the attorney handling the matter also have the paperwork?

IMO:

As for the Sun. meeting, their mom had a seperate trust. Seperate from the one held by Robert and their mom.
This was not a will.
It had been over a year since their mom's death and no paperwork about this seperate trust.
As I remember it, Robert was to have the trust papers there. He did not.

Snipped~

Bob Harrod and his three daughters had an argument over finances the Sunday before he vanished.

His daughter, Roberta, acknowledged the exchange, saying her father lost his temper. She said he had failed to provide copies of their mother's will, which he was obligated to do because of the financial mechanisms set up by the estate.

"It wasn't a heated meeting," she said in a phone interview. "Dad got heated. He's very selfish, very conditional. The day before he went missing in the afternoon, he was going to provide us copies of the will, and we went over to get the copies. He didn't have them."

http://www.ocregister.com/news/-214111--.html?pic=1#article-read

Bob Harrod and his three daughters had an argument over finances the Sunday before he vanished.

His daughter, Roberta, acknowledged the exchange, saying her father lost his temper. She said he had failed to provide copies of their mother's will, which he was obligated to do because of the financial mechanisms set up by the estate.

"It wasn't a heated meeting," she said in a phone interview. "Dad got heated. He's very selfish, very conditional. The day before he went missing in the afternoon, he was going to provide us copies of the will, and we went over to get the copies. He didn't have them."

http://www.ocregister.com/news/-214111--.html?pic=1#article-read

The last day anyone claims to have seen Bob Harrod is July 27.

The day before he disappeared, his daughters -- Paula Borcher, Roberta Brady and Julie Michaels -- went to his home in Placentia. The four argued about money, police say.

According to Fontelle, Bob said his daughters became upset when he told them he planned to include his new wife in the estate. According to court filings, his daughters estimated Bob had property and savings worth at least $1 million.

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/feb/02/local/la-me-disappeared3-2010feb03?pg=3

The last day anyone claims to have seen Bob Harrod is July 27.

The day before he disappeared, his daughters -- Paula Borcher, Roberta Brady and Julie Michaels -- went to his home in Placentia. The four argued about money, police say.

According to Fontelle, Bob said his daughters became upset when he told them he planned to include his new wife in the estate. According to court filings, his daughters estimated Bob had property and savings worth at least $1 million.

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/feb/02/local/la-me-disappeared3-2010feb03?pg=3

Truthfully, there really is only Fontelle's word about the daughters being upset about her being included in the estate. I realize there's plenty of reason to suspect the daughters here, but IMO, Fontelle's behavior since Bob went missing is odd as well. She is firmly entrenched in Bob's home, having left her own family and friends behind to wait for a husband most people agree is never going to return. I know if it were me, I would prefer to be close to those I cared for if I were going through such a situation.

Angelo - I'm curious as to what your theory is. We know there was a disagreement the night before Bob went missing and we know that he was seen the next day. Assuming the daughters whereabouts that next day between the time Bob was seen and the time the housekeeper arrived are known and confirmed, are you of the opinion that the SIL murdered Bob? How would he have disposed of the body? Am I correct in assuming that his arrival and departure at Home Depot have been verified by LE? Was there any wiggle room in the timeline in terms of when he left HD and when he returned to the home to find the housekeeper? Do we know what type of vehicle he has and where he parked at the home?

Just thinking out loud here......this case is so frustrating!!!

Truthfully, there really is only Fontelle's word about the daughters being upset about her being included in the estate. I realize there's plenty of reason to suspect the daughters here, but IMO, Fontelle's behavior since Bob went missing is odd as well. She is firmly entrenched in Bob's home, having left her own family and friends behind to wait for a husband most people agree is never going to return. I know if it were me, I would prefer to be close to those I cared for if I were going through such a situation.

Angelo - I'm curious as to what your theory is. We know there was a disagreement the night before Bob went missing and we know that he was seen the next day. Assuming the daughters whereabouts that next day between the time Bob was seen and the time the housekeeper arrived are known and confirmed, are you of the opinion that the SIL murdered Bob? How would he have disposed of the body? Am I correct in assuming that his arrival and departure at Home Depot have been verified by LE? Was there any wiggle room in the timeline in terms of when he left HD and when he returned to the home to find the housekeeper? Do we know what type of vehicle he has and where he parked at the home?

Just thinking out loud here......this case is so frustrating!!!

I'm glad you posted this Fairy because I have been wanting to post something to the effect "Am I the only one that thinks foul play was NOT involved"? When Bob asked Fontelle "What can I do to get you to stay out here" the words were not even out of his mouth and she answered "Marry me"! The poor man had just lost his wife, his loving companion (dog) was beginning to show signs of dementia and might have gotten in a little over his head. Does anyone think his daughters might have stepped in to protect his assets? OK, so they might be greedy but they are the daughters of Bob and Georgia, NOT Fontelle and those assets were put away for them. I'm sure that's what it said in their mother's will. He could very well be staying with one of his daughters under protective care and LE could be staying out of it because it is considered a civil matter. If it is a civil matter then it is nobody's business but the family's.

I'm glad you posted this Fairy because I have been wanting to post something to the effect "Am I the only one that thinks foul play was NOT involved"? When Bob asked Fontelle "What can I do to get you to stay out here" the words were not even out of his mouth and she answered "Marry me"! The poor man had just lost his wife, his loving companion (dog) was beginning to show signs of dementia and might have gotten in a little over his head. Does anyone think his daughters might have stepped in to protect his assets? OK, so they might be greedy but they are the daughters of Bob and Georgia, NOT Fontelle and those assets were put away for them. I'm sure that's what it said in their mother's will. He could very well be staying with one of his daughters under protective care and LE could be staying out of it because it is considered a civil matter. If it is a civil matter then it is nobody's business but the family's.

Hi DollyPardonMe - thought I would share my thoughts on your comment:
My dad and us kids took care of my mom for well over a year when she was sick and sicker, and until she died. My dad was so depressed that he went through phases where he wanted to die along with his wife, my mom. I felt terrible for both of them.

Not long after my mom died, my dad met a beautiful woman who had lost her husband and they began to see each other. I thought - Wow! My dad is so vulnerable, I better protect him. I saw my dad smile, laugh, golf, and do the things he hadn't enjoyed for so long. We, the kids, were the ones who had to come to terms with it all. The woman was as beautiful, and gentle as our mom, certainly not out of character for my dad to be with such a lovely person. There was talk of marriage and I began to think it would be a great scenario for both of them. We certainly thought about the trust between our mom and dad, but not once did we think about approaching our dad regarding his trust - we ALL felt it would be selfish on our parts. Unfortunately, his friend became ill, and once again, my dad became a comforting caretaker. His friend passed and my father became ill and passed a year or so later.

Guess my point is that happiness and love doesn't always have to end with the death of a long time spouse. People can lift themselves up in spite of their kids overprotective concerns.

These girls seems overly concerned about the money they were supposed to get in a trust. Dad was cleared by his doctor as to not having Alzheimer's or dementia. He is used to having a caring woman beside him - and he seems in love. Why can't his daughters just let him be? all just my opinion

My dad and us kids took care of my mom for well over a year when she was sick and sicker, and until she died. My dad was so depressed that he went through phases where he wanted to die along with his wife, my mom. I felt terrible for both of them.

Not long after my mom died, my dad met a beautiful woman who had lost her husband and they began to see each other. I thought - Wow! My dad is so vulnerable, I better protect him. I saw my dad smile, laugh, golf, and do the things he hadn't enjoyed for so long. We, the kids, were the ones who had to come to terms with it all. The woman was as beautiful, and gentle as our mom, certainly not out of character for my dad to be with such a lovely person. There was talk of marriage and I began to think it would be a great scenario for both of them. We certainly thought about the trust between our mom and dad, but not once did we think about approaching our dad regarding his trust - we ALL felt it would be selfish on our parts. Unfortunately, his friend became ill, and once again, my dad became a comforting caretaker. His friend passed and my father became ill and passed a year or so later.

Guess my point is that happiness and love doesn't always have to end with the death of a long time spouse. People can lift themselves up in spite of their kids overprotective concerns.

These girls seems overly concerned about the money they were supposed to get in a trust. Dad was cleared by his doctor as to not having Alzheimer's or dementia. He is used to having a caring woman beside him - and he seems in love. Why can't his daughters just let him be? all just my opinion

What a great post. I am so sorry about the lost of your parents.

We all need love and companionship in our lives. Bob and Fontelle were older. They knew they wanted to be together. They probably talked more in those few months than many couples talk throughout their whole relationship.

The daughters started posting on a forum shortly after their father's disappearance. They are the ones that filled their posts with talk of money. They also attacked their father's character.

Hopefully this case will be resolved.

But LE is not staying out of it. They are treating it as a homicide investigation per their words (even if they have no evidence Bob is dead or alive). They administered polygraphs at the end of 2009.

All IMO/speculation. Window is 5 hours - 10AM to 3:04PM. SIL is one person of focus. Something either occurred in the house and SIL put Bob in his vehicle, or Bob was alive when he left with SIL and something was done after they left the house. I don’t know what kind of vehicle SIL has. He could have backed up to the garage and taken BoB out and into the vehicle through there, wrapped in something. It would have been quick. And if anyone were to see anything, SIL could just say he was removing something from the house as part of his “home repair” work.

Bob’s body was then dumped/hidden somewhere (water, forests, etc. in multiple areas). SIL used to live in Placentia and would know the areas; SIL lives in Running Springs, which also has many lakes, forests, etc. Daughters knew either before/during/after. All IMO.

July 27, 2009

10:00AM – Per officials, there was a phone call to Bob, which is the last time anyone other than Jeff Michaels verified he was at the house

3:04PM – JM paid for purchases at Home Depot (per time stamp of purchase receipt)

IMO, if Bob hadn't spoken to Fontelle the evening before he went missing, and told her the daughters became upset when he told them he planned to include his new wife in the estate, the daughters never would have admitted to that event even happening.

They appeared to welcome Fontelle with open arms when she first arrived and said they were thrilled about the marriage. At some point, Fontelle would have told LE what Bob said to her on the phone the evening before he went missing. They were counting on Fontelle leaving after a few days, but she didn't.

Aug 11: “There was a family meeting on Sunday, it was heated at times, there were NO threats and we all left on good terms.”

IMO

Yes, This is a beautiful post! There are wonderful people that are so deserving of a 2nd chance. I have the most wonderful SIL in the world. I love her more than I do my own brother! Her mother was a single mother and was the most selfish woman I had ever met. When her daughters mother-in law passed away, she moved right in there and married the father in law and took away everything from the children before they could blink and eye. Then her husband died. Those adult children were not even left with a trinket of their father and mothers. Next, a family friend up in Washington dies of cancer. She's on the next plane and marries husband # 4. So, Yes there are women like this. They are not all wonderful as the woman your Dad met.
Regarding the Alzheimers..My Mom has been to the doctor 6 times because she is forgetful, keeps getting lost, bangs her head, starts fires in her apt..But, the doctor says..Oh, its just her age..He doesnt think its Alzheimers (at this point). Is there a pre-dementia phase?? If there is, my Mom is there!
I used to post on this thread and I stopped because it got too frustrating and their were just too many unanswered questions because I just don't think there is a homicide here. Guess I'll stop again.

Yes, This is a beautiful post! There are wonderful people that are so deserving of a 2nd chance. I have the most wonderful SIL in the world. I love her more than I do my own brother! Her mother was a single mother and was the most selfish woman I had ever met. When her daughters mother-in law passed away, she moved right in there and married the father in law and took away everything from the children before they could blink and eye. Then her husband died. Those adult children were not even left with a trinket of their father and mothers. Next, a family friend up in Washington dies of cancer. She's on the next plane and marries husband # 4. So, Yes there are women like this. They are not all wonderful as the woman your Dad met.
Regarding the Alzheimers..My Mom has been to the doctor 6 times because she is forgetful, keeps getting lost, bangs her head, starts fires in her apt..But, the doctor says..Oh, its just her age..He doesnt think its Alzheimers (at this point). Is there a pre-dementia phase?? If there is, my Mom is there!
I used to post on this thread and I stopped because it got too frustrating and their were just too many unanswered questions because I just don't think there is a homicide here. Guess I'll stop again.

FWIW, LE is investigating this as a homicide.

I so agree with you!! When you see Bob in that video kissing into the phone, that is not some terrified guy with "cold feet"! For God's sake, why couldnt they just let him enjoy the last few years that he had?

Those posts on the other thread where they call him names and complain, it made me sick!

I am not very proficient in these matters, but couldnt he just have the marriage anulled? Would he really leave everything at 81 years of age? The mother's trust is one thing, but his money is HIS to use as he sees fit. I cant stand when crows are hovering over the estate of a parent who isnt even dead yet!!

I know its hard to think of children doing such a thing, but its very possible, hell, in this day and age its more than likely!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carmenbellaxx