CA CA - Bob Harrod, 81, Orange County, 27 July 2009 - # 1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to know what was bought at Home Depot.

I don't know what was bought at Home Depot but the SIL bought soda and paper plates at CVS.

From what I read in the OC Register news article,
anyone that was a possible suspect in anyone's mind,
has been cleared.

The sheriff seems to think they have some more leads and
I hope so.
PPD must have some more tips, or clues, or something the public just is not aware of....

From what I read in the OC Register news article,
anyone that was a possible suspect in anyone's mind,
has been cleared.

The sheriff seems to think they have some more leads and
I hope so.
PPD must have some more tips, or clues, or something the public just is not aware of....

The only two people that have been cleared are the barber and her husband.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/harrod-bob-police-2598739-fontelle-michaels
snipped from this article:

''There are no suspects, Loomis said. There's not even any evidence of a crime.''

''But Jeff Michaels' story checks out, and neither he nor any of the daughters are suspects in the disappearance, Loomis said.''

''Fontelle Harrod and her children by previous marriages wouldn't have anything to gain
by Harrod's disappearance, either.''

I think the answer lies somewhere else.
It looks like PPD has someone new in mind.

snipped from this article:

''There are no suspects, Loomis said. There's not even any evidence of a crime.''

''But Jeff Michaels' story checks out, and neither he nor any of the daughters are suspects in the disappearance, Loomis said.''

''Fontelle Harrod and her children by previous marriages wouldn't have anything to gain
by Harrod's disappearance, either.''

I think the answer lies somewhere else.
It looks like PPD has someone new in mind.

The three daughters told police initially they suspected Bob Harrod's barber – a woman who attended their mother's funeral earlier this year – of some connection with the disappearance. Police have cleared the barber and her husband of any connection with the case.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/...RecommendedOnly=0&oncommentsPage=1#slComments

The barber and her husband are the only two individuals that Loomis states have been cleared.

Loomis says there is no evidence of a crime, hence no suspects. Additionally, once you call somebody a POI or a suspect they lawyer up.

So Bob spoke to the housekeeper that morning (maybe the 10AM call?). That helps with the timeline.

[snipped from article and comment posted by writer of article]

• Bob Harrod talked to the housekeeper on the phone earlier that morning and told her to come.

• Officials have said that at 10 a.m. July 27 there was a phone call to Bob Harrod, which is the last time anyone other than Jeff Michaels verified he was at the house. Police are not releasing the content of those phone records.

So the daughters converged on Bob's house Sunday to get copies of their mother's will. But they couldn't go to his house Monday night when he was missing?

And now it wasn't a heated meeting, just Bob got heated.

[snipped]

Bob Harrod and his three daughters had an argument over finances the Sunday before he vanished.

His daughter, Roberta, acknowledged the exchange, saying her father lost his temper. She said he had failed to provide copies of their mother's will, which he was obligated to do because of the financial mechanisms set up by the estate.

"It wasn't a heated meeting," she said in a phone interview. "Dad got heated. He's very selfish, very conditional. The day before he went missing in the afternoon, he was going to provide us copies of the will, and we went over to get the copies. He didn't have them."

So the daughters converged on Bob's house Sunday to get copies of their mother's will. But they couldn't go to his house Monday night when he was missing?

[snipped]

Bob Harrod and his three daughters had an argument over finances the Sunday before he vanished.

His daughter, Roberta, acknowledged the exchange, saying her father lost his temper. She said he had failed to provide copies of their mother's will, which he was obligated to do because of the financial mechanisms set up by the estate.

"It wasn't a heated meeting," she said in a phone interview. "Dad got heated. He's very selfish, very conditional. The day before he went missing in the afternoon, he was going to provide us copies of the will, and we went over to get the copies. He didn't have them."

......and the next day BH is missing.

I wonder if BH spoke to Fontelle by phone after his daughters converged on his house. If so, I would like to know what he told her about the "meeting."

[snipped]

Another thought........

Why would all three daughters need to go to their father's house to pick up a copy of the will? What were they going to do with the copy of the will?

Another thought........

Why would all three daughters need to go to their father's house to pick up a copy of the will? What were they going to do with the copy of the will?

Another thought - Maybe mom has a trust leaving everything to her surviving spouse, and then to the daughters. I can see where the daughters would be upset if their mother's money eventually went to his new wife. After all the marriage was abrupt and quite a surprise to all. Even if the trust is 'irrevocable' pretty sure changes can be made. just a thought

I have read most of the news articles about Robert H.
http://www.contracostatimes.com/california/ci_12946442?nclick_check=1

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-missing-groom31-2009jul31,0,5435017.story

He and his new wife married six days after reconnecting.

Disagreement among sides of the family whether he had mild dementia or not.

On the day he disappeared, he supposedly have left for a walk, but was said to only usually walk around the neighborhood block.
He disappeared in the time period when his son in law, Jeff M, went to a Home Depot to get supplies to fix something in the house.
It was said he got into an arguement with a family member and police thought he would be home that evening.

In the news article, Robert is said to have had money.
Daughter and son in law, Jeff M, said to be his caretakers.

Is it possible that the son in law and Robert had a disagreement and something went wrong?
Maybe son in law was worried about inheritance or rather, not inheriting anything, since Robert had just up and got married?
Mind you, this is based only IMHO, as I have nothing concrete to base it on.
Just thinking out loud.

I didnt see some of the information on this thread that was on the FA thread, so I am bringing over a post from the Forensic Astrology Forum that explains about the inheritance issues, why daughters may have wanted copies of the mother's will, ect.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79041&page=12

Post #286

There are 3 groups of people in Bob's life who all have various degrees of interest as to whether he is better off missing versus having a body found.

He acquired an amount of wealth that is subject to debate, however it was substantial enough that he and his wife thought to preserve it in a trust before her death. It is apparently protected from future spouses and "barber friends".

After the death of his wife his "barber lady" starts hitting him up for big bucks over an 18 month period. The daughters get irate and call social services who could not go after "barber lady" because the dad would not speak out against her.

Then comes a woman out of his past, they were engaged 59 years ago, when, she was 14 and, he was old enough to know better. They reconnect, get married and then he walks off into the sunset, on his bad knees, abandoning her for a 2nd time..

All I am Asking is to look at all three groups and what each stands to lose or gain (his daughters, his new wife, and the barber lady) before forming an opinion.

Hope this helps some...

Just a comment:
re: my post from this thread quoted above:
post 3, dated 8/6/2009

That was my first post about missing man, Robert Harrod.
It was a thinking out loud moment.

fwiw:
As the time passed since Robert Harrod's disappearance,
I have to say I thought it was the barber lady.

Now, PPD has cleared both her and her husband.

To me, looking at everything, almost 2 1/2 months down the road:
considering the latest OC Register news article and what it is quoted
that PPD police chief said,
I do not have a clue what happened to Robert H or
who did it to him.

I wish I did.
Prayers for Robert Harrod and his
entire family.

Robert has not been found wandering the streets, victim of a possible stroke.
Robert has not been found, victim of a car accident or seizure.
Robert has not been found.
His car is at his house.

Did someone stop by the house?
Take Robert for a ride?

I've been following this MP on another site also. It was closed down for a while and now a new thread about it. However, I never heard any more about the car that was gone one day. I never heard if it came back or who used it, has anyone here heard any more about it?

While there was a trust, Bob had other accounts and properties he could sign over to his new wife. How much were they worth? To me all that was coming to a head within the family was a catalyst to Bob's disappearance and mostly likely murder. It's common in cases like this. There is usually an event that's going to take place in the near future that for someone means another person needs to go bye bye. A meeting with a divorce lawyer, signing on a house that would have exposed nefarious info, a business partner orders an audit.....I look at motive and opportunity and all I see is Bob's family. The tone in the recent article seems to lean that way as well. His family also didn't wait too long to try to get control over his estate and made it clear to Fontelle she was SOL.

(snip)

THE AFTERMATH
Notes written in Bob Harrod's hand found around the house indicate Bob Harrod intended to put his new wife's name on various accounts, Loomis said. Police say that, including properties and other assets, Bob Harrod was a multi-millionaire.
Fontelle Harrod said several days after Bob Harrod disappeared, his three daughters came to his house where Fontelle was staying and told her she wasn't entitled to any of their father's assets.
According to records from Orange County Probate Court, Brady and Borcher filed a petition for conservatorship to gain control of their father's assets Aug. 7.
Fontelle Harrod is contesting the action and is still living in Bob Harrod's house, with the locks changed.
Brady said they brought the matter to court because they wanted to free up some of the money to offer a reward for information leading to Bob Harrod's whereabouts, as well as money to pay for bills and maintenance at the house.
The judge ruled against them.
Records pertaining to the case in probate are sealed, and the next hearing is Nov. 10.

I've been following this MP on another site also. It was closed down for a while and now a new thread about it. However, I never heard any more about the car that was gone one day. I never heard if it came back or who used it, has anyone here heard any more about it?

A comment at the OCregister also refers to another site. Did you see anything along the same posted by family?
http://www.ocregister.com/articles/...RecommendedOnly=0&oncommentsPage=3#slComments

10/9/2009 4:13:52 PM
Recommend(3)
Report Abuse
flatheadedhammer wrote:
All three daughters were posting on a forum about their missing father. Nothing about searching for him.

Everything about money.....Fontelle.....trying to point the finger at others. They also had a completely different timeline in their posts. I wonder why the timeline changed.

They also said some very cruel things about their missing father. I hope the police have seen their postings.

Follow the money. What a shock it must have been to find out that their father remarried.

I'm curious how long Bob's finances were an issue with the Daughters. Right after their Mother passed away, maybe? I may have just missed it before, but this is the first I have heard that Bob is a multi-millionaire.

IMO, from what I've read, I think they had an opinion of him for a long time, and certain events during/after their mother passed away caused it to be an extreme issue for them.

The OC Register article mentions that from 1953-2002, Bob "builds his wealth through a combination of wise investing, purchasing properties and what his daughter Roberta Brady called “extreme frugality.”

There are posts on another forum referring to “$$$=God to him,” that he was cheap, that he could have spent money to improve the conditions of their mother's care but didn’t, and they refer to money spent by him after their mother passed away as their "mother's blood money."

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/h...telle-michaels

A comment at the OCregister also refers to another site. Did you see anything along the same posted by family?
http://www.ocregister.com/articles/...RecommendedOnly=0&oncommentsPage=3#slComments

10/9/2009 4:13:52 PM
Recommend(3)
Report Abuse
flatheadedhammer wrote:
All three daughters were posting on a forum about their missing father. Nothing about searching for him.

Everything about money.....Fontelle.....trying to point the finger at others. They also had a completely different timeline in their posts. I wonder why the timeline changed.

They also said some very cruel things about their missing father. I hope the police have seen their postings.

Follow the money. What a shock it must have been to find out that their father remarried.

FYI, there is a post on Aug 29 on another forum that mentions " ...their refusal to pay heed by removal of the vehicle from the driveway..." That's all I heard about that. The posts on other forum start on Aug 2 and there are quite a few that month. The content is very telling IMO.

*SNIP*

On this thread, there were 66 posts by 'Calif Native', 17 posts by a sister 'CalifNativeI' and another relative. At first, I thought the first sister seemed very honest, fair and tried to be open minded about it all. She seemed very concerned about her father's safety/well-being.

As time went on, they quit posting, which I understood to be 'in their best interest' - not just to accidentally post info that could jeopardize the investigation, but also to not be making them look guilty.

While some posts may make them look guilty and greedy, in my own family when my grandfather passed away from cancer, my mother's sisters wanted to make sure they got MORE than their fair share of property, as my grandfather didn't leave a will.(ETA he was not rich in any way). ALL agreed the property that could be moved came to our house because my mother was considered very honest and fair, yet she was taken advantage of still. So, that colors my opinion of BH's sisters in that they could still be greedy but not necessarily guilty of causing BH to disappear. IMHO

On this thread, there were 66 posts by 'Calif Native', 17 posts by a sister 'CalifNativeI' and another relative. At first, I thought the first sister seemed very honest, fair and tried to be open minded about it all. She seemed very concerned about her father's safety/well-being.

As time went on, they quit posting, which I understood to be 'in their best interest' - not just to accidentally post info that could jeopardize the investigation, but also to not be making them look guilty.

While some posts may make them look guilty and greedy, in my own family when my grandfather passed away from cancer, my mother's sisters wanted to make sure they got MORE than their fair share of property, as my grandfather didn't leave a will.(ETA he was not rich in any way). ALL agreed the property that could be moved came to our house because my mother was considered very honest and fair, yet she was taken advantage of still. So, that colors my opinion of BH's sisters in that they could still be greedy but not necessarily guilty of causing BH to disappear. IMHO

You bring up some good points, and surely there are horror stories everywhere of greedy families fighting over estates like vultures. You're right, that doesnt mean that the family members are responsible for the deceased's passing.

In this case though, there are just so many confusing timelines and statements made, alot of misinformation put out on the web, and it seems like everything points in a certain direction. There seems to be alot of hostility and anger there. If I were in this sad situation, I can honestly say I would be at that house in a heartbeat, searching the neighborhood myself. Not posting on some messageboard.

You bring up some good points, and surely there are horror stories everywhere of greedy families fighting over estates like vultures. You're right, that doesnt mean that the family members are responsible for the deceased's passing.

In this case though, there are just so many confusing timelines and statements made, alot of misinformation put out on the web, and it seems like everything points in a certain direction. There seems to be alot of hostility and anger there. If I were in this sad situation, I can honestly say I would be at that house in a heartbeat, searching the neighborhood myself. Not posting on some messageboard.

Agreed. I would be searching first. However, since I'm retired, I would at least also read sleuthing forums. There is so much moral support and good ideas on how to go about searching and all the various theories on what to think about/consider.

I had no idea there were so many 'older' folks missing as well and not just because of health/mental problems.

As for timelines, again I never realized how many people don't pay attention to times when things happened. Not sure I used to, but since living in So. Calif., whenever I hear doors or windows rattle, the first thing I do is look at the clock....and then check out the recent earthquakes site. Then I noticed I also do that when I hear sirens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member