CA CA - Bob Harrod, 81, Orange County, 27 July 2009 - #16

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Excuse me, but I think the reference to Mr Harrod as dumped is disrespectful.

~jmo~

Respectfully snipped. Are you suggesting whomever disappeared him dug a shallow grave for him?

That's another possibility. I've always wondered if he is encased in cement somewhere in JuM and JeM's home or on their property.

Maybe LE can get a warrant or whatever is needed to use ground penetrating radar to search the M home.

***Earlier (in the last couple pages) it was hinted that LE found something in their search of Bob's residence that was strange. What that was has not been revealed. I am going to put a link here when I find it.
I wonder what strange thing could have tipped off investigators that something wasn't right?

-patched wall?
-new paint?
-new fixtures?
-new shower curtain?
-smell of bleach or cleaning fluid?
-missing furniture?
-broken furniture?
-something left out and incomplete- (like dishes??)
-full coffeemaker, no coffee drunk or something like that

****ETA: MY BAD! I went back and looked at all the relevent links (good job BTW whoever has been compiling them. Very easy to go through) and LE never says they found anything. I just assumed they had based on the fact they flipped quickly from "left voluntarily" to "homicide". I will leave the post here though since some people might have already read it. Sorry about that.

Lol, thank heavens they were some use! They are so tedious to do.

Le refused to reveal any details about what they found, I think. Which makes me think they may have found something - just not enough to make an arrest.

Lol, thank heavens they were some use! They are so tedious to do.

Le refused to reveal any details about what they found, I think. Which makes me think they may have found something - just not enough to make an arrest.

I took Detective Radomski's statement as an assertion something was found as well. Otherwise, no need to comment. jmvho.

I think then we are safe in believing that there might be his rings and perhaps his shoes as identifiers. His checkbook was apparently located, and I think it is safe to assume his glasses were located or at least there is a large chance that they were. His wallet and keys are in the wind. Maybe.

I included a picture on his poster downstairs of Bob with and without glasses. His daughter states he was legally blind without his glasses-I dont know if that is her unprofessional professional opinion or she knows that to be fact. :banghead:

One of us will tell everyone up here when the poster is done and ready to roll. There are going to be 4 locations where we are piloting the concept.

This has always been a huge concern of mine. Nothing is as it appears in this case. If the timeline weren't so fluid, we could almost guess in what condition Bob was in when found. As it is, there could be a good chunk of time involved that would have allowed someone to catch his/her breath, and think clearly enough to remove and dispose of identifiers before dumping Bob into a canyon/whatever.

BBM
I am hoping it wouldn't have occurred to whoever disappeared Bob to remove them either.

This has always been a huge concern of mine. Nothing is as it appears in this case. If the timeline weren't so fluid, we could almost guess in what condition Bob was in when found. As it is, there could be a good chunk of time involved that would have allowed someone to catch his/her breath, and think clearly enough to remove and dispose of identifiers before dumping Bob into a canyon/whatever.

You are absolutely right, MaryNo. As much as I would like to reject that idea. That certainly adds another level of callousness. :(

I think the absence of the wallet and keys is the real biggie. If you are a family member, or know anybody well, you KNOW where people keep those items. My sis keeps her purse (w keys) hanging on a hook behind her door. My mom has them in the hall closet. My friend has hers on top of a bookshelf by the front door. Growing up, my friend's mom kept them on the dryer by the garage. My point? If you wanted to make someone think they left on purpose you would know exactly where they were and it would be easy to zoom to that location and grab them for disposal.

SBM & BBM

We have hard evidence that Bob's daughters were not that well acquainted with Bob's living patterns. The specific example I'm thinking of was when at least one of his daughters said that Bob didn't drive on the freeway anymore and was then proven to be totally wrong when it turned out that Bob had driven Fontelle on the freeway to visit some old friends.

I agree that daughters did not seem to know much about Bob's more recent living patterns - especially after Georgia died. They did seem to make great efforts to keep themselves appraised in areas where they had a self-interest though; i.e, his finances and (on JuM's part) where the keys to safes and safe deposit boxes where kept, and what valuables were in the home. In my opinion, JuM probably knew exactly where Bob kept all his keys, and exactly what they looked like, right down to the key rings.

By the way, did I mention how nice it is to find your posts here in the (my) mornings again, Grainne?

I agree that daughters did not seem to know much about Bob's more recent living patterns - especially after Georgia died. They did seem to make great efforts to keep themselves appraised in areas where they had a self-interest though; i.e, his finances and (on JuM's part) where the keys to safes and safe deposit boxes where kept, and what valuables were in the home. In my opinion, JuM probably knew exactly where Bob kept all his keys, and exactly what they looked like, right down to the key rings.

Good points, all.

Then the question is when she acquired that knowledge. If she acquired it before Bob disappeared, that's innocent enough.

However, I have often thought that the family had access to the house for about 2 days before Fontelle returned. But in reading that memorabilia list, I have always suspected that she compiled it while doing a walk-through of the house.

I base this on personal experience in helping my parents list the contents of their Airstream after it was totalled in a crash. It was insured for the replacement value of the trailer and contents, so the insurance company wanted a complete list of contents. For the high ticket items, like my dad's Hasselblad camera, they wanted proof in the form of a receipt or registration form.

For the lower cost items like clothes, they wanted a list but did not require a receipt or registration, just a description of each item. It wasn't enough to say, for instance, "eight cotton polo-type shirts." It had to specify the colour of each shirt and the manufacturer if it were a designer labelled item.

Now, my parents had packed that trailer themselves and they knew where everything was. But it was difficult to recall exactly how much of everything they'd taken in the amount of detail required.

I've had a few friends who have gone through house fires and had the same problem afterwards. You might know, for instance, that your spouse has some inordinate number of band T-shirts from different concerts but still have difficulty in coming up with an exact number and list of band names.

That list seems to me to be mighty detailed for someone who didn't live in the house and had undergone a recent 6 month period of no contact.

Again, in my personal experience, people who have a missing family member tend to be reluctant to entertain the possibility that person is dead, particularly if the person was an adult at the time of disappearance. Families hang onto the thinnest shreds of possible reasons for why their loved one hasn't contacted them.

The day after Bob disappeared seems to me to be a very short period of time for a family member to entertain the possibility he was dead. Particularly since the PPD had looked through the house the night before and not found anything that pointed directly to an attack.

So I would see it as curious if JuM did indeed do a walk-through of Bob's house to make her memorabilia list the day after he disappeared.

BBM

Good points, all.

Then the question is when she acquired that knowledge. If she acquired it before Bob disappeared, that's innocent enough.

However, I have often thought that the family had access to the house for about 2 days before Fontelle returned. But in reading that memorabilia list, I have always suspected that she compiled it while doing a walk-through of the house.

I base this on personal experience in helping my parents list the contents of their Airstream after it was totalled in a crash. It was insured for the replacement value of the trailer and contents, so the insurance company wanted a complete list of contents. For the high ticket items, like my dad's Hasselblad camera, they wanted proof in the form of a receipt or registration form.

For the lower cost items like clothes, they wanted a list but did not require a receipt or registration, just a description of each item. It wasn't enough to say, for instance, "eight cotton polo-type shirts." It had to specify the colour of each shirt and the manufacturer if it were a designer labelled item.

Now, my parents had packed that trailer themselves and they knew where everything was. But it was difficult to recall exactly how much of everything they'd taken in the amount of detail required.

I've had a few friends who have gone through house fires and had the same problem afterwards. You might know, for instance, that your spouse has some inordinate number of band T-shirts from different concerts but still have difficulty in coming up with an exact number and list of band names.

That list seems to me to be mighty detailed for someone who didn't live in the house and had undergone a recent 6 month period of no contact.

Again, in my personal experience, people who have a missing family member tend to be reluctant to entertain the possibility that person is dead, particularly if the person was an adult at the time of disappearance. Families hang onto the thinnest shreds of possible reasons for why their loved one hasn't contacted them.

The day after Bob disappeared seems to me to be a very short period of time for a family member to entertain the possibility he was dead. Particularly since the PPD had looked through the house the night before and not found anything that pointed directly to an attack.

So I would see it as curious if JuM did indeed do a walk-through of Bob's house to make her memorabilia list the day after he disappeared.

Curious indeed. Especially as the most important list - of what Bob was wearing the day he vanished - seems never to have been compiled with the same sense of detail or attention.

Oriah is handing out assignments in the SAR thread, lol, for those of you who want to pitch in. She gave me something easy that didnt involve coordinates :D.

I am curious- I have seen the pics of Mr H and Fontelle cutting a little wedding cake,sipping champagne, and a few others of them together- does any one know who took those pictures? What is that person(s) doing to help find Mr H? I am assuming whomever did, was close enough to Mr H to share in that special occasion. Surely they would like this mystery, of where Mr H is, solved?

I am curious- I have seen the pics of Mr H and Fontelle cutting a little wedding cake,sipping champagne, and a few others of them together- does any one know who took those pictures? What is that person(s) doing to help find Mr H? I am assuming whomever did, was close enough to Mr H to share in that special occasion. Surely they would like this mystery, of where Mr H is, solved?

IIRC, it was a neighbor of theirs. It was very sweet that the neighbor shared this moment. Perhaps they have been in this all along doing what they could to help out. That is what I think, anyway. :)

Ahh.....^ I certainly hope so....I don't think I could sleep at night knowing a neighbor was missing.......much less a family member.

sigh

Well the glasses things is always going to be impossible to pin down. Inconsistent reporting and most of us glasses wearers have at least 2 pairs, even if one of the pairs is from the previous Rx- we can use them to "get by" if we need to.

Does anyone know if Bob had cataracts removed? And if so, how long before he disappeared?

The reason I ask is because one's glasses prescription can change markedly after cataract removal, depending on what sort of artificial lens is installed. Like most people who wear glasses, I kept the old pair as emergency backup glasses but after I had my cataracts removed, my prescription changed so much that my backup pair of glasses were useless to me.

I wonder if an eye surgeon could tell from this photo of Bob here? It's pretty close-up, but not very defined.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=526877524025840

Were you around when we had the brilliant analysis of Bob's spectacles posted, Grainne? I still can't get over that. I'd love to bump it, but I can't find it.

Long story short, I had right eye cataract surgery a couple of yrs ago.A layperson is probably not going to be able to glance at my eye and even know. I don't have to wear glasses now, not even for distance, although I will use reading glasses as needed.
IMHO, I am going to venture to guess by looking at the pic you posted , just by the look of those lenses in the glasses, that Mr H hasn't had any cataract surgery...those lenses are mighty darn thick. If he had, I would almost think his vision would have changed enough, that the lenses would be less bulky. And he would only need a script for distance maybe, or some readers, too

Long story short, I had right eye cataract surgery a couple of yrs ago.A layperson is probably not going to be able to glance at my eye and even know. I don't have to wear glasses now, not even for distance, although I will use reading glasses as needed.
IMHO, I am going to venture to guess by looking at the pic you posted , just by the look of those lenses in the glasses, that Mr H hasn't had any cataract surgery...those lenses are mighty darn thick. If he had, I would almost think his vision would have changed enough, that the lenses would be less bulky. And he would only need a script for distance maybe, or some readers, too

Absolutely agree. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member