CA CA - Bob Harrod, 81, Orange County, 27 July 2009 - #16

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know about individual reports (maybe they are checkable only if reported in the media?) but by the stats here Placentia seems way below both the CA and national averages for all sorts of crime.

I don't know if they can be right though - I am sure I saw somewhere that a daughter was afraid to go check on Bob alone, because of the type of neighbourhood it was? I did question that a bit though - Placentia looks a very suburban, peaceful and relatively prosperous area to me.

SBM & BBM

Seems odd that any of the family would be hesitant about Bob's neighbourhood considering that AH and his family live around the corner from Bob. Didn't JuM and JeM also live in that neighbourhood before they moved up the hill?

The PPD has been pretty definite that whatever happened to Bob wasn't due to a stranger attack. So maybe the neighbourhood is only suspected to be dangerous to anyone related to Bob?

On one of the links SpicySun kindly provided, it lists no crimes in a one mile radius of Carnation drive between 2009-2013.
http://www.crimemapping.com/

I thought the site must be useless, because it didn't include Bob's disappearance. Then I realized, Bob's case probably isn't officially listed as a crime among any of the Placentia statistics, is it? He's a missing person, and that's not a crime.

It's terribly sad - on record, it's as though nothing ever happened. Bob's case doesn't count.

On one of the links SpicySun kindly provided, it lists no crimes in a one mile radius of Carnation drive between 2009-2013.
http://www.crimemapping.com/

I thought the site must be useless, because it didn't include Bob's disappearance. Then I realized, Bob's case probably isn't officially listed as a crime among any of the Placentia statistics, is it? He's a missing person, and that's not a crime.

It's terribly sad - on record, it's as though nothing ever happened. Bob's case doesn't count.

Actually, I am not sure that completely true although I can see how it looks that way. To me, once Det Radomski began investigating the case and the case became "Foul Play" there was a status change. jmvho.

That reminds me - I've just checked and Bob is still listed as a fugitive on AMW, despite me telling them twice. I haven't even had a reply. I'm officially moaning now.

http://www.amw.com/fugitives/case.cfm?id=67544

I think that is by design rather than by mistake, z. That could mean that his ID is flagged, so anyone using it would trigger notification some where. :)

Has anyone noticed the REI ad now popping up on WS's? ;)

I googled REI because most of the ads don't show on an ipad. I can't work out if it's an an ad for the credit card and bank, or the counter-surveillance business.

I googled REI because most of the ads don't show on an ipad. I can't work out if it's an an ad for the credit card and bank, or the counter-surveillance business.

LOL!!! I know you didn't mean for that to be funny, zwie, but I found it hilarious. It's counter-surveillance, imvho. And the link believe09 posted. ;)

I saw the store too, but was sure it couldn't be that. So much for my deduction skills.

I've been sleuthing hydrangeas and have been put right by a German florist. They were perfectly willing to make me an anniversary wreath using any bloom - except hydrangeas. Because that's not normal and I'll have to do that at home.

So they've packed me off with two plants, a lovely wooden heart frame and other strange bits and bobs, and the reassurance that anyone can make one. I've never even arranged flowers in a vase, let alone on a frame. I almost wish I'd baked another cake.

Zwiebel,
I could handle baking the cake (from scratch, no mix), but you would definitely need someone like SugarQueen to decorate it for me. I know you have "retired" from cake baking/decorating.

As for flower arranging, I can put a few dandelions in a jelly glass and that is about the extent of my skills in that department.

Sorry, can't help you out here.

Seems the extent of my assistance in this thread is reading and praying.

I've just been saved by the USA, Opie. I googled hydrangea bouquets and wreaths and loads of helpful US websites came up! It seems it is a perfectly normal thing to use them over your way. They certainly seem suitable to me - the flowers already look as though they have been arranged together anyway.

I'll give it a try, see what happens. And happily hand over the baking!

Panic - I've got the day wrong, everyone. Thursday is the 27th and Bob and Fontelle got married on the 29th. That's Saturday. If anyone saw my 'Thursday' post, please ignore it!

Bob and Fontelle's wedding anniversary is Saturday, June 29th

LOL, Z. No worries. It just gives us more time to make a push. The flyer is almost done-it would be nice to make it available around then.

No worries? I can't actually recall ever having a live plant in my house before, and now I have two hydrangeas to keep alive until Saturday. I keep staring at them, as though that might stop them wilting somehow.

I saw the store too, but was sure it couldn't be that. So much for my deduction skills.

I've been sleuthing hydrangeas and have been put right by a German florist. They were perfectly willing to make me an anniversary wreath using any bloom - except hydrangeas. Because that's not normal and I'll have to do that at home.

So they've packed me off with two plants, a lovely wooden heart frame and other strange bits and bobs, and the reassurance that anyone can make one. I've never even arranged flowers in a vase, let alone on a frame. I almost wish I'd baked another cake.

Wreaths really are easy if they gave you a wreath form (something you can pin into or glue onto).

First make sure the wreath has some way to hang it. If it doesn't, the easiest way is to use a piece of sturdy string or twine, tie it around the wreath form and leave the two ends to tie into a loop once the wreath has been decorated.

Put it flat on a table and pin fresh flowers or glue silk fake flowers until the wreath form is covered. If you want to, you can add a bow or some other such decoration by deliberately leaving one spot bare. Take the additional decoration and lay it on the bare spot to make sure it fits. If it doesn't fit, cut away a few flowers or place more flowers around it.

Orderly is good if that is what you like and messy is good if that is what you like.

The extra decoration(s) are the last to add.

And that's it, you have a wreath. Because you decorated it while it laid flat on a table, it will hang flat against a door or wall.

Seriously, wreath making is so easy that it can be done with children over the age of about five or so; just whenever the child is old enough to comprehend what "be careful, these pins are sharp" really means it. My nephews and niece and I even made holly wreaths successfully when they were all around that age and holly is quite prickly.

The reason it makes such a great kid project is that there is literally almost nothing you can do that won't look charming.

No worries? I can't actually recall ever having a live plant in my house before, and now I have two hydrangeas to keep alive until Saturday. I keep staring at them, as though that might stop them wilting somehow.

Lots of water, and that's about all. Will you plant them after Saturday? (If you do put them in part shade, otherwise you will never stop watering them, they wilt quite dramatically when thirsty!)

Thank you for the creative and the care tips - Grainne; you helped me work out what all the twine was for. minusfour; you have helped me decide where to put them in the garden after the anniversary.

I shall have a little Bob corner in my garden. It will be nice to think that in years to come, long after Bob is brought home, his and Fontelle's plants will still be here marking the long years of the search for him.

Daughter JuM seems so concerned with charity and other good works, I'm disappointed she hasn't made any attempt to raise funds in Bob's name, and marked his missing years that way. I would think that would have raised more money for the charities, while keeping Bob's name out there as well.

All the opportunities for bio family to do something seem to have been lost or ignored over the years. The omission looks very glaring to me.

Does anybody have any ideas about what would be a nice message for Bob and Fontelle on their wedding anniversary, that would sort of represent a general wish for them, on behalf of all those who want to see him come home?

I was thinking that something along the lines of 'to mark the fourth wedding anniversary of Mr and Mrs Harrod, and the hope it will be the last where Bob's whereabouts are unknown. With good wishes from everyone supporting the search for Bob Harrod.'

I think that's a bit not-quite-good-enough though.

A good start, Zweibel, for certain!!!

"the last with Bob & Fontelle apart?"

Or does that sound like we wish Fontelle ill?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meganreinert