CA CA - Bob Harrod, 81, Orange County, 27 July 2009 - #17

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It is inevitable, I suppose, that there will be a request to distribute his estate some time in the next year. That would be an ideal platform for media and investigators to get a clear picture of the management of his assets. I truly believe it would be an ideal time to get another major true crime show to do a deeper dive into the story.

Maybe we can figure out a way to repackage the information and tailor it to a specific show. 48 Hours Mystery, for example. The ID network has several newer shows on that might be a good fit though, and permissions wouldn't be a problem. I bet they could use much of the material Disappeared put together.

KWIM?

You set me thinking believe09, and I finally came to the conclusion Bob's case would best be featured on the series:

'Just to Bring Them Home'.

That's the one that focuses in on individual investigators such as Larry Montgomery at the OC DA's Office and David Van Norman at San Bernardino Coroner's Department, and other 'cold case investigators'.

And also on the individual family members who have been searching for their loved ones for years and years.

As well as the SAR teams who conduct searches whenever they can, and the online communities who continue to push for those searches.

There is no 'end' to the story in any of the episodes of course ( unless the program makers get really lucky). The story is in the search to bring these lost ones home, and the people who are trying to bring that about. And the loved ones waiting for them.

The public can take open endings of course. We all recall ET wanted to 'phone home' but none of us ever found out exactly where he went.

This is the perfect series for Bob's story to appear in, in my opinion.

Someone's just got to make it first. :)

That's a relief. I thought I might get told off for that one.

I'm not joking though - I think there is a little gap in the market there, that's been missed in 'true crime' programs, and it's the only one I could find.

So let's pitch it to ID. You are the writer, my friend-send me the pitch and we will find someone to get it to the producers. :D

It would be awesome zwiebel. We could make a condition-Bob's case first.

I'd be happy with that - even if it aired in Australia first, then the US and Germany never let me see it!

I will ask if a new thread can be opened in a day or two and maybe we can all do a little brainstorming. Fontelle needs to know that her husband hasn't been forgotten. :blowkiss:

I hope Mrs Harrod doesn't think Bob is forgotten. I think the number of people wondering where he is and what happened to him is growing, slowly but surely.

I've just discovered there was a huge California Health Survey carried out in 2009, with several questions aimed specifically at seniors. The participants will be confidential of course, but wouldn't it have been wonderful if Bob had taken part, and his words on the matter had been available? That might have cleared up some of the initial contradictions about the issue. You never know, maybe he did take part, and kept a copy and it escaped being cleared out.

I often think about Bob and his paperwork and writing. The letter he wrote to Fontelle that we have seen was lovely. I hope the rest of his personal papers (not just the financial ones) have been well cared for, whoever ended up with them.

I often think, when the thread goes quiet.....

I think then the person/people who know what happened to Bob probably sigh with relief then and think it is finally over. They can get on with their lives and forget about Bob because the world is too busy to remember one elderly missing man forever. If people stop talking, the police may stop asking and it is all over, at last......

The world's a big place though. With the people who care about their fellow human beings vastly outnumbering those who don't care. Whoever disappeared Bob and is hoping for some peace of mind is doomed to disappointment, I think.

I have been reading about "reskinning" material in this information age and repackaging it so that it trends on the social media websites. Purists might think that repackaging news into titles such as "Bully calls anchor fat" is dumbing the info down, but we have a brand new model with social media and as long as the content of the article remains similar, I think it could work.

In Bob's case, I think we can distill his case in a similar fashion and create some kind of buzz again. There is a lot of material to work with. The love story is still as appealing as it was when it was covered prior to his disappearance. His assets, the push from strangers for movement on his case...I really think this could be an option here. I think this is something the Daily Mail does well, for example.

Still on the subject of media, though it isn't social - Freedom Communications (OC Register) is taking on the LA market now, apparently with the launch of a daily (paper, although I'm sure there will be an online version too).

http://www.scpr.org/blogs/economy/2013/12/12/15391/parent-of-oc-register-to-launch-la-daily-paper/

I find what's happening with Freedom interesting from a personal perspective, as I think it's making some hugely audacious business decisions and I'm curious how they will pan out. But from a Bob perspective it's interesting too. The LA Times is known for the quality of its writers, and especially their in-depth articles. So if the new LA Register is going to meet the competition head-on, maybe it will be looking for some memorable pieces for its launch issue?

The LA Times has written the most evocative article about Bob so far. The OC Register has written the most investigative. It would be quite a coup if the new LA Register could reprise Bob's case, combining both investigative talent and powerful writing. LA readers are already familiar with his case and might well be curious to know what's been happening. If that gets them buying the launch issue it would be good for Freedom Communications and very good for Bob's case too.

Unless the LA Times wants to jump in first and steal the opportunity - I'd still be happy!

I often think, when the thread goes quiet.....

I think then the person/people who know what happened to Bob probably sigh with relief then and think it is finally over. They can get on with their lives and forget about Bob because the world is too busy to remember one elderly missing man forever. If people stop talking, the police may stop asking and it is all over, at last......

The world's a big place though. With the people who care about their fellow human beings vastly outnumbering those who don't care. Whoever disappeared Bob and is hoping for some peace of mind is doomed to disappointment, I think.

I think you're right, zwiebel.

I also thnk they'd be wrong. Very, very wrong. Mr. Robert Merle Harrod is not forgotten, nor should anyone be resting easy. Because this isn't over yet.

Thanks for that post, Z.

Or, as Detective Loomis says, 'That doesn't mean that we are done.'

I just love the way she added that. It said so many things in just one small sentence, to my ears, such as;

'Don't think you've got away with this'
'I'll never need reminding that Bob Harrod is still missing'
'We haven't given up'

Also, just by giving another media interview it shows LE still thinks media is a useful tool in Bob's case. And that they want the community to know people cannot just disappear others with impunity in OC and expect it to be forgotten in a year or two.

There was an Orange County Sheriff named Mike Carona who once said:

"Don't eat. Don't sleep. Because we're coming after you."

He was talking to the (then unknown) killer of a child.

Absolutely haunting. Not a threat, nor a promise. Just a coldly furious statement of fact. Nobody listening could have had a single doubt. It must have chilled that killer to the bone when he heard it.

I have my lottery tickets for the 400 plus million dollar prize for this evenings drawing. If by some miracle I win, I promise Bob's case will have a proper reward.

My Christmas miss is to see Bob's threads moved to the located forum. Oh, how I wish he would be home for Christmas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jayc