CA CA - Bob Harrod, 81, Orange County, 27 July 2009 - # 2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Fontelle is 74 years-old and legally blind. I do not think she is able to use a computer.

Of course, I realize that. There are other ways to search for a missing loved one. Has Fontelle employed any of them?

The Placentia Police Department website lists two missing persons:

Robert Harrod
Lindsay Leigh Ekelund, 20 or 21 years old

http://placentia.org/index.aspx?nid=129

Is it up to the PPD to ask for help from other agencies? Are they accountable to the Orange County Sheriff does anyone know? I sent an email to the OC Sheriff about Bob's case anyway.

http://egov.ocgov.com/ocgov/Sheriff-Coroner

It is up to PPD to ask from any help from any other agency.
They are not accountable to the Orange Cty Sheriff's Dept.
As far as I know, no other police dept. will help unless specifically
asked by PPD.

When I spoke to the PPD detective the other day, I asked if
their department could have a retired police detective or
another agency review Robert Harrod's missing person case.
He did say that PPD routinely does that.

<snipped>
. If anything making the financial issues public and pretty transparent makes them look NOT guilty. If they were going to get rid of Bob for money, they would not be publically talking about the financial issues AFTER his disappearance. They would be downplaying it......

IMO, making those horribly disparaging comments about Bob... he was tight-fisted, cheap, unfeeling about their mother's care, was a way to lessen his value to the public. Why would people care to find a stingy, cross, cold old man?

They also called their father a "chronic liar."

Not directly on topic but...

Interesting reads about Lynsie, who went missing from Placentia in 2001. Mentions Loomis who was detective on that case who told the mother, "'They usually come home within two or three days."

http://www.fctorch.net/no-body-of-evidence-1.526128

http://legacy.signonsandiego.com/news/state/20030418-1128-wst-bodiesfound-missing.html

Also, the mother has a Recipes for Hope Cookbook for sale to raise reward money (as of 2003 she had raised $22,000). It's a compilation of recipies from people who know Lynsie or are aware of her story.

http://usaboxingrep.com/missing-lynsie.html

Interesting read about Lyndsay, who went missing from Placentia in 2001. Mentions Loomis who was detective on that case who told the mother, "'They usually come home within two or three days."

Also, the mother has a Recipes for Hope Cookbook for sale to raise reward money. It's a compilation of recipies from people who know Lyndsay or are aware of her story.

Nancy says that when police first responded to her call, there was little sense of urgency on their part. Indications suggest the case's original investigator, Detective Corrine Loomis, suspected that Lynsie might have disappeared intentionally.

http://www.fctorch.net/no-body-of-evidence-1.526128#4

Interesting reads about Lynsie, who went missing from Placentia in 2001. Mentions Loomis who was detective on that case who told the mother, "'They usually come home within two or three days."

http://legacy.signonsandiego.com/news/state/20030418-1128-wst-bodiesfound-missing.html

Also, the mother has a Recipes for Hope Cookbook for sale to raise reward money (as of 2003 she had raised $22,000). It's a compilation of recipies from people who know Lynsie or are aware of her story.

Sounds like Placentia is the perfect place to commit a crime.

They are Bob's family - for more than a few months. And lots of folks have fallen on hard times. Not everyone has the $$$ to make things happen when LE drops the ball.

• I just gave two examples of families who are not well off but raised reward money themselves - one selling bbq plates and another selling a cookbook. On the web page setup by one family, they thank those who donated a billboard, venue, and posters to help find their daughter. A lot of people are willing to help find missing people if asked
  • It doesn’t cost anything to update a Facebook and Myspace page for Bob
  • It doesn’t cost anything to speak to the media
  • The daughters and SIL are from the area and would have friends there who I’m sure would be willing to help if asked. One did offer to help on ROTW and daughter J told them “I will let you know if we need assistance. The best thing to do is to look out for him, memorize his face; if you believe you have possibly sighted him, call the PD ASAP and do not allow him out of your sight.”
Maybe the daughters and Fontelle are hoping LE will actually do their job and search for Bob.

• Middle daughter R used to work at the Monrovia Police Department and would probably know how the system typically works. The Monrovia population is less than Placentia’s
  • Same daughter R posted 9 days after Bob went missing that the Placentia PD is a small police department with what they safely assume to be limited resources
  • They were all posting and reading on IS where posters gave them lots of ideas early on of steps they could take. There are also plenty of resources on this forum. Below is one I just found after a quick search

TEAMWORK
A missing person is too important to be left to one person. Those family members who wish to “leave it to the professionals,” and sit back on the couch to let the police do the work will probably get out of this what they put into it. I prefer the Team Approach, with the family involved in a productive way. We must help law enforcement to accomplish this mission, and if they do not know how, we can show them the way.

Will law enforcement accept your assistance? Perhaps not willingly. We in law enforcement tend to think that we don’t need any help, and some investigators will view the family as hindrance. That’s too bad. The missing person is YOUR LOVED ONE. You may have to be insistent. You may ruffle some feathers. Is there anything more important?

[snipped]

My comments in blue.

My comments in blue.

I don't think I've ever read anywhere that daughter R worked for the Monrovia PD. Any link? Has CaExile posted this? My first posts on this case have been in support of the daughters because I could not see any daughters do anything so horrendous to their father first because he was in his 80's and secondly, no matter how he was as a person growing up in that household we will never know and they had every right posting his true colors without being accused of his disappearance. Here it is a year later and I still stand in support of the daughters and defending them and feel we should all be putting our heads together to find out what happened to Bob.

I don't think I've ever read anywhere that daughter R worked for the Monrovia PD. Any link? Has CaExile posted this? My first posts on this case have been in support of the daughters because I could not see any daughters do anything so horrendous to their father first because he was in his 80's and secondly, no matter how he was as a person growing up in that household we will never know and they had every right posting his true colors without being accused of his disappearance. Here it is a year later and I still stand in support of the daughters and defending them and feel we should all be putting our heads together to find out what happened to Bob.

We are all putting our heads together to find out what happened to Mr. Harrod. People have different theories about what happened to Mr. Harrod and are entitled to their opinion.

No one should be trying to control other opinions on this forum. People can disagree respectfully and if they feel a post is inappropriate they can report it to the moderators.

no matter how he was as a person growing up in that household we will never know and they had every right posting his true colors without being accused of his disappearance.

SNIPPED~~~~~~~

IMO, the daughter's posts showed their true colors, not Mr. Harrods.

Mr. Harrod is not here to defend himself so we do not know his true colors. From what Paul posted, Mr. Harrod did help his family and others out financially. The daughters never posted about that.

SNIPPED~~~~~~~

Mr. Harrod is not here to defend himself so we do not know his true colors. From what Paul posted, Mr. Harrod did help his family and others out financially. The daughters never posted about that.[/QUOTE]

BBM
IMHO it's nobody's business who a father helps. My father has helped me in the past and my brother and sister haven't got a clue.

SNIPPED~~~~~~~

Mr. Harrod is not here to defend himself so we do not know his true colors. From what Paul posted, Mr. Harrod did help his family and others out financially. The daughters never posted about that.[/QUOTE]

BBM
IMHO it's nobody's business who a father helps. My father has helped me in the past and my brother and sister haven't got a clue.

I agree, it is nobody's business, but they posted that Mr. Harrod was a chronic liar, selfish, a snake, bizarre, and secretive. They also referred to him as “selling out to the devil.”

They posted that it was "not in character for him to be charitable with $$$$, unless there was some profit in it for him."

They posted that "money was his god."

I agree, it is nobody's business, but they posted that Mr. Harrod was a chronic liar, selfish, a snake, bizarre, and secretive. They also referred to him as “selling out to the devil.”

They posted that it was "not in character for him to be charitable with $$$$, unless there was some profit in it for him."

They posted that "money was his god."

Most children are closer to either their father or mother. Georgia left HER trust to her daughters. Could it be that she saw all these traits in her husband too? Like I said..We will never know the family dynamics of anyone's family. Bob's daughters knew their father kept much needed funds away from the care of their mother. I would be bitter too. Poor Georgia probably died happy knowing that her daughters would be well taken care of..And now look at what they are dealing with because of one Internet hook up!! I'm still convinced the hairdresser was jealous that Bob got married and left her out in the cold and left her well dry. That's where the PPD need to dig. But badmouthing the daughters because of things said at the beginning of the missing days of their father when emotions were high, and childhood memories of a strict, frugal father need to be forgotten IMHO!

Angelo I agree said:
Every time I read those posts I am still stunned. No matter what you believe happened to Mr. Harrod, those terrible statements were ENTIRELY inappropriate!!! I am also glad to hear another's picture of Mr. Harrod, or God forbid we would be left with a picture of a lying, selfish, greedy, sneaky old man! How could anyone defend that??

Every time I read those posts I am still stunned. No matter what you believe happened to Mr. Harrod, those terrible statements were ENTIRELY inappropriate!!! I am also glad to hear another's picture of Mr. Harrod, or God forbid we would be left with a picture of a lying, selfish, greedy, sneaky old man! How could anyone defend that??

If she were still alive, I wonder what would Georgia say about the daughter's statements. She would have known him best after almost sixty years together. What would Bob say, for that matter? Fontelle knew him when she was a little girl and met him just a couple of weeks before this happened.

The hairdresser is the most suspicious of all these. IMHO

<snipped>
If she were still alive, I wonder what would Georgia say about the daughter's statements. She would have known him best after almost sixty years together. What would Bob say, for that matter?

Unfortunately, we'll never know, will we?

The more I think about it, the more I believe that Georgia should be left out of this. She cannot speak for herself and quite honestly I think it is unfitting to try to question what her opinion might be, especially in a way that AGAIN casts aspersions on Mr. Harrod's character!

What is important is that he be found, and the killer/s caught.

<respectfully snipped from Cloudajo>

I just gave two examples of families who are not well off but raised reward money themselves - one selling bbq plates and another selling a cookbook. On the web page setup by one family, they thank those who donated a billboard, venue, and posters to help find their daughter. A lot of people are willing to help find missing people if asked
It doesn’t cost anything to update a Facebook and Myspace page for Bob
It doesn’t cost anything to speak to the media
The daughters and SIL are from the area and would have friends there who I’m sure would be willing to help if asked. One did offer to help on ROTW and daughter J told them “I will let you know if we need assistance. The best thing to do is to look out for him, memorize his face; if you believe you have possibly sighted him, call the PD ASAP and do not allow him out of your sight.”

How true! Throughout this whole site we see family members orchestrating ways to keep their loved-one in the publics' eye and mind.

Paul:
IMO, R called you to do damage control and to get information. I read the threat from P - people can be criminally or civilly prosecuted for threats like this. R used to work for a police department and would know this. It’s not for me to forgive but I certainly won’t forget.

I’m wondering why the 50-something year old daughters are on this board monitoring and being so worried about what‘s being said concerning them? I would think it would be more productive for them to update the Facebook and Myspace pages setup for Bob last year and turned over to them, that don‘t have a single update. Or talking to the media to get the word out. Or holding a vigil. Or offering a reward. Or organizing a search. I wish they would be as focused about those things, yet I see many filings by them on the trust proceedings and conservatorship. How much work and time went into that? One of them posted last year on the IS board that the trust was not their concern and had nothing to do with locating their dad - 1st find dad; 2nd he will handle those matters upon his return. What happened to that idea? Couldn’t both things be done at the same time?

Of course R said SIL (her sister’s husband) is a good man. He might very well be but it doesn’t mean he wasn’t responsible for a horrible act. I’m looking at all events leading up to Bob’s disappearance, each person‘s possible state of mind, motive, means, and opportunity, and the events and actions that occurred after. That leads me to a certain place for now.

PPD didn’t treat Bob’s house as a potential crime scene and bought the story “someone” told them in the first 3 days about Bob having cold feet. Loomis said in an article they didn’t ramp up a serious investigation (not that it was ever treated seriously) in hopes he would come home Wednesday, and that she talked to Fontelle at length Wed night after Fontelle returned from MO. My speculation is that this is when Fontelle told Loomis about the phone call with Bob Sunday night where he told her that his daughters became upset when he told them he planned to include Fontelle in the estate. By that time, there had been a houskeeper that cleaned, the SIL had hours in that house after his return from Home Depot, and the SIL’s wife J and other two daughters were in the house in the days following.

You are entitled to your opinion and your insight is appreciated, just like everyone else on this board. I just have a different opinion.

Good post.

I always wondered why no reward was ever offered.

[snipped]

As we know, the male lead detective Dreamweaver spoke to this past Monday said no one has been cleared. I emailed Adam Townsend and asked him if he got the below directly from the PPD or not (most likely Corinne Loomis, as he quotes her a lot in the article). I didn’t hear back from him yet.

This is the info I have on it.

Vanished: Millionaire newlywed, 81, still missing
By ADAM TOWNSEND
The Orange County Register
Published: Oct. 8, 2009

[snipped]

There are no suspects, Loomis said. There's not even any evidence of a crime.

The three daughters told police initially they suspected Bob Harrod's barber – a woman who attended their mother's funeral in 2008 – of some connection with the disappearance. Police have cleared the barber and her husband of any connection with the case.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/-214111--.html

A love story turned mystery
By Paloma Esquivel
LA Times
Published Feb 2, 2010

[snipped]

Police have looked at flight and phone records, bank statements, address books and more to figure out what happened -- to no avail. They're now treating the case as a possible homicide.

They have worked to nail down alibis for the people around him. The younger woman with whom Bob had a friendship has a solid alibi. Michaels, reportedly the last person to have seen Bob, has receipts verifying he was at Home Depot around the time he said he was, police say.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-disappeared3-2010feb03,0,7717364,full.story

I would like to know if the hairdresser agreed to be polygraphed.

I would also like to know which persons refused to be polygraghed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GonzoToxic