CA CA - Bridgett ‘Bridget’ Lee Pendell-Williamson, 23, San Francisco, 1 Apr or 7 Jul 1997

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
BridgetLeePendell3.jpg

Such a fairy-like beauty. I hope there will be answers one day as to what happened to Bridget.

So, this is the awkward situation I was kind of afraid of.

I contacted someone at the San Francisco mayor's office who deals with issues regarding homelessness. I sent info on Bridget and asked that it be forwarded to the outreach agencies they work with.

This is the response I got (bbm):

Thanks xxxxxxx

I have shared your message with some colleagues.

It happens that with privacy laws you can communicate information regarding Bridget whereas we cannot.

So if there is any additional information please circulate to colleagues and confirm whether Bridget, if located, should be asked to email you or call....?

Thanks and best of luck
B

I have no information to answer this question - and I don't want anyone's personal information but Jeannine... can you please ask her family to send their info to Mr Dufty through the contact link here? Or give them yours, if you'd like to? I just wouldn't know what to do with any information if they contacted me...

http://www.sfmayor.org/index.aspx?page=903

I also received a reply from one of the agencies Mr. Dufty forwarded my email to:

Please be advised we do not have any information about this person at this time. Review of DPH and other databases do not show entries under this name and DOB.

Typically, someone involved with substances of abuse and the behavior required to obtain those substances will leave a trace in the SFDPH systems. In this case, the absence of that trace suggests she is not in county or is, unfortunately, deceased. I assume you have contacted the San Francisco Medical Examiners office to check the latter possibility.

Does anyone have any updates about getting in touch with local shelters and the medical examiner's office?

Does anyone have any updates about getting in touch with local shelters and the medical examiner's office?

That is very doable, I think. The problem is that they need to know who they should contact if they find any information and I don't have that info to give them. That's why I requested that a family member/friend contact the mayor's office.

I don't want anyone's personal information, myself.

I have no information, all my leads went no where. She could be one of the dozen or so vagrant sex workers in her age group (many do not live to be the age she would be now as a street level hooker with a severe heroin habit, this is all assuming the stories of her prostituting and using IV drugs are true) - that are still alive but sadly unrecognizable. Or she could be cleaned up and simply not want to be found. Given her level of education, it could go either way - because she had both her street smarts and her book smarts. The issue for me was her last accountable timeframe. Her last known address is a horrible area and a building that reeks of slum lords, has had bodies from both murder and several od's in the hallways, and an ex who said she simply "took off".

Her patterns dont' make sense with a heroin junkie, but more with a speed user (that, and the areas she frequented). I don't think we have an accurate timeline or details and now it's kind of like the game telephone. I do think the onset of several mental illness happened coupled with street drugs - which left her in a very bad place.

I do hope there is resolve to this and I will always have her in mind when thinking of Northern CA

That is very doable, I think. The problem is that they need to know who they should contact if they find any information and I don't have that info to give them. That's why I requested that a family member/friend contact the mayor's office.

I don't want anyone's personal information, myself.

What about explaining the situation and giving the contact info of the police department in charge of the case? They might accept it if you do that. But I agree, a family member would be idea.

OTOH, wouldn't the police have cleared it with homeless shelters and the medical office?

What about explaining the situation and giving the contact info of the police department in charge of the case? They might accept it if you do that. But I agree, a family member would be idea.

OTOH, wouldn't the police have cleared it with homeless shelters and the medical office?

They do know that Santa Cruz PD is investigating, I mentioned that when I first contacted them.

The department of the Mayor's office that I contacted is involved with homeless outreach and is not part of law enforcement. If someone in outreach did come across her, it probably wouldn't do any good to tell her to contact police - remember, she's more than likely involved in drugs and prostitution.

I'd hope that LE checked with homeless shelters and such when she was reported missing... but that was over 15 years ago and I highly doubt that Santa Cruz PD is actively looking for her. Santa Cruz is over an hour away from San Francisco.

I wish the report was on file with San Francisco instead, since that's clearly where she was last seen.

They do know that Santa Cruz PD is investigating, I mentioned that when I first contacted them.

The department of the Mayor's office that I contacted is involved with homeless outreach and is not part of law enforcement. If someone in outreach did come across her, it probably wouldn't do any good to tell her to contact police - remember, she's more than likely involved in drugs and prostitution.

I'd hope that LE checked with homeless shelters and such when she was reported missing... but that was over 15 years ago and I highly doubt that Santa Cruz PD is actively looking for her. Santa Cruz is over an hour away from San Francisco.

I wish the report was on file with San Francisco instead, since that's clearly where she was last seen.

What I meant to ask was probably badly worded. What I meant was whether shelters and such compare descriptions of missing people with people who walk in.

Would they have received a notice from the police? If not, was the case featured in any newspapers, etc. where it would be seen easily? Would shelters be bound by confidentiality services?

If she went to a shelter, I wonder if the people running the shelter could have recognized her if she had.

When it comes to the medical office, wouldn't they be even more likely to compare the bodies they receive with missing persons? Unless she had some sort of very fake ID and the office didn't expect someone who was apparently doing drugs to have one, then I think that if she had died, her description would have been matched up for identification purposes.

I may be wrong, though. I'm not sure how things work in the US.

What I meant to ask was probably badly worded. What I meant was whether shelters and such compare descriptions of missing people with people who walk in.

Would they have received a notice from the police? If not, was the case featured in any newspapers, etc. where it would be seen easily? Would shelters be bound by confidentiality services?

If she went to a shelter, I wonder if the people running the shelter could have recognized her if she had.

When it comes to the medical office, wouldn't they be even more likely to compare the bodies they receive with missing persons? Unless she had some sort of very fake ID and the office didn't expect someone who was apparently doing drugs to have one, then I think that if she had died, her description would have been matched up for identification purposes.

I may be wrong, though. I'm not sure how things work in the US.

I can only guess, so please know that the following is only my opinion.

I think that when Bridget was first reported to Santa Cruz as a missing person, it was probably before she was arrested in San Francisco - that's the only reason I can imagine why the report would have been filed with Santa Cruz.

I'd imagine that Santa Cruz probably searched its own homeless shelters, hospitals, and unidentified remains, not knowing she would later turn up in San Francisco.

When she was arrested in San Francisco, I don't think San Francisco authorities knew she was missing since the report wasn't with their local police.

This is what prompted me to send the letter to the mayor's office - I figured 15 years later, no San Francisco agencies, shelters, etc probably have any idea that she's missing. I know there is a group that does a yearly count/census of San Francisco's homeless and that is the group I was looking for when I found the contact information the mayor's site for homeless outreach.

Astrokitty would probably be better able to answer your questions about what the homeless shelters would be allowed to do if they saw her and knew she was a missing person. I'm sure they could talk to her and let her know that her daughter has been searching for her, but beyond that, I don't know.

Bridget's DNA is in NamUs so if remains were found and the DNA from the remains were entered into the national database, yes, it should alert to a match if they are Bridget's... but many of the older (meaning less recent, not age) Jane Does don't have DNA on file.

She was definitely a traveler, she could have gone just about anywhere - I wish I knew whether she would still have followed The Grateful Dead after Jerry Garcia's death in 1995.

I can only guess, so please know that the following is only my opinion.

Respectfully snipped. Thank you, that makes a lot of sense.

I think this is a case that, with enough effort, wouldn't be completely hopeless. While there's a chance that she may have run into foul play and not have turned up as a result, it seems more likely that it's possible she could be found. If she passed away then it seems likely that her remains could be identified. Not necessarily through DNA, I assume that for the older remains there's still some kind of description and that could potentially be matched up with Bridget's. If no matches are found then IMO that makes it more likely that she's still alive somewhere, and maybe having people who work in shelters, groups that work with addicts, etc. keep an eye out or comb their memories could provide some clues. They get a lot of people, it's true, but maybe someone would remember something. I also feel like Bridget, in those first few years at least, would have stood out a bit among other homeless people and addicts. She sounds like the type of person who would have a much better chance at recovery and turning her life around, because as someone previously pointed out, it really could have gone either way with her. This also makes me think that maybe counsellors and such could remember her, if she sought them out or was directed to them at any point.

:twocents:

Regarding shelters and how they work:

Now, I have literally never been inside one in San Fran but there is an amazing network for people there that empowers them for change and some don't have guidelines but MOST do.

Here is what you need in 80% of shelters:
A photo ID.
*reasons vary but the most are for a file in which shelters keep in order to know if you are allowed back and what if any trouble you may have caused
- trouble meaning: theft, assault, missing curfew and drug use.
*another reason is in case you are on the run and being looked for by local and state authorities or even FBI
* to prove that you are who you state you are because:
- sex offender databases.
- you must stay in a shelter for 24 hours in the US in order to qualify for emergency housing such as low income: HUD and free housing. It's a way to prove you are in fact homeless and in dire straights. They require proof from the shelter and a because your ID is scanned when you come in, or back then copied along with your ID # written down, the welfare agencies have proof.

Shelters are not the same as hostels. They have rules and regulations and limits to how long you are able to stay. All shelters work with you for emergency housing, welfare and medicaid. they do their best to get you help but you must be accepting of it. Shelters are very scary and not so safe places, most homeless would rather sleep on the street and risk it than to go into a shelter. You can confirm this by asking any # of them. Most will go to the hospital and get sent into psych in order to feel safe, get fed and receive medications. they will do this verses shelters. I cannot stress how scary shelters are and I think everyone should experience 2 nights in one to get an understanding of what really goes on. It's not like you see via the media. I assure you.

Most shelters are not searched by LE, and if they are it won't be immediately. Soup kitchens would be of more use for missing persons, or the outreach programs ON the streets.

* I run a chapter of outreach in my area for sex workers. I am out there every week with coffee, condoms and needle exchange. I have food too. I know these women and young girls pretty well, better than any shelter would (because they DONT go to them). Men are more likely to see refuge in a shelter than a woman. A fear of rape is prevalent there, more so than on the streets for some. Being on the streets in the cold means conversations and trust building. I know their habits, what they prefer to eat and if they are IV users. I know what type of condoms they prefer and how they take their coffee. A shelter wouldn't know this. So please, please support your local SWOP branch (sex worker outreach). we are saving lives!!

Now according to friends and family, Briget had a heroin habit. I personally don't know how much stock I place in this but for arguments sake we'll say she did. She would stay near her coping places. Dope is good for 4 hours and when that 4 hours are up, you are sick. People who are using heroin stick near their place of purchasing it and when they go to get on methadone (if they choose that route) then they will be near their clinic because you must be there at a certain time frame and that detox is a million times worse than coming off of heroin. A million times worse. that is not a drug you want to cold turkey.. ever! they don't call it liquid handcuffs for no reason. To receive methadone you must have a file there, you must take a drug test too. If you fail your drug tests some places kick you off the program where as others you just don't get "take home". this means you must be there every single day without fail. If you pass your drug tests and go to meetings then you build up a take home. This can be enough meds for 3 days, a week or every 2 weeks. (it starts out a weekend take home and then it's weekly take home and then every other week with holidays).

Most people on streets can not stay off of other hard drugs or alcohol, so they are there every morning.

The chances of someone remembering her are probably long gone. If she disappeared today I could be of some help. For the future if a person is reported missing and they are transient with a habit and lifestyle this is what you do:

Call, drop off flyers and ask for help in this order:
1. County hospitals and state (medicaid etc) psych facilities.
2. county jail
3. shelters
4. soup kitchens
5. needle exchange
6. sex worker outreach
7. methadone clinic
8. Look on craigslist and backpage (backpage still has adult services)
9. Look into run down or the skeevier strip clubs / peep shows. A transient will not be employed at a high end facility.
10. hit up diners in the very area they are known the frequent. Look at the 24 hour ones with open bathrooms. Same goes for gas stations. most are smokers and if they are on drugs - they keep off hours. Clerks at gas stations during those specific shifts would know them. Get to know what brand of cigarettes they smoke or what gas station booze they may buy. Ask the clerk(s) if they have seen the person (present photo) who likes (name brands) and comes around at that hour.

Get to know the persons alias and triple check it against others. If this is a working girl tread lightly and trust nearly nothing that you hear and most of what you see. Don't ask pimps and never post on sex worker message boards looking for her, most will suspect you are a jilted pimp and they won't help you. Anyone can be anyone online.

Don't concentrate on the spelling of the alias, but get to know the way it's pronounced.
Learn their backstory that THEY tell, not the one you may hear from family.
Keep a black and white photo because hair color changes. You want the person to focus on the features not the hair color etc.

I fear that she has either committed suicide, was hurt by someone or overdosed and the ME didn't take DNA or enter anything.

Here's what we do know: Her social security # has not been used since her missing date.
She has not tried to contact her family
She did not show up to court for the case she caught.
She had fallen on hard times
Her boyfriend at the time said she chose prostituting over him and he left.
Her last known address is in a very bad area and has had a terrible reputation. you can find the info on Zillow
She is educated
She is loved
She has had a child and her body would reflect that
She loved to travel
She loved music and gatherings of people brought together FOR that music.

What is questionable is if she was a "dead head" or simply a person that enjoyed going for the party (in other words: she would be in the lot outside the show camping and not IN the show. A lot of people did this, including me).

We don't know her actual drug issues, just that she had some. I maintain that it's very hard to travel like she did and be a heroin addict. she would be constantly sick. I think she had a moderate habit and unhealthy lifestyle till she started setting roots in SanFran. I think from there her addictions took over and she became prostituting.

We don't know how she got from Santa Cruz to San fran. Did she hitchhike or did she take the bus? Did she take BART (does it run there, I have no idea).

We don't know who had seen her last.
We don't know of friends.
We don't have a phone # for her.
We don't know her actual alias. It's rumored she went by a name that in my opinion sounds like BS.

I hope to g-d no one hurt her. I seriously hope that she didn't take her own life and I hope to hell she didn't OD somewhere and was viewed as another junkie hooker, and the ME chalked it up to her not being worthy of DNA being taken. It does happen, sadly enough.

I often toy with the idea that she did in fact meet harm and her body hidden all this time. I could see that happen if she hitchhiked from Santa Cruz to San fran or vice versa. there were a few active serial killers at that time picking up transient or wayward women who were hitching that route. She could have gotten a ride also with a trucker and met the same fate or possibly O'd with "supposed" friends that dumped or hid her body.

And then there's hope that she ran off with the rainbow family and went off the grid as a hippie full of love and light, safe and sound - simply too humiliated by her past choices to call home.

Astrokitty, thank you so much for your informative and helpful post. Things are quite different in my country and even in my area so thank you for adding your perspective from someone who has experience working in homeless outreach programs that would be similar to the ones (if any) which Bridget frequented.

I have some questions. I hope that's ok. Please don't take it the wrong way, I'm not doubting your post, I just want to understand better what you've said.

1. If shelters take ID and one of those reasons is checking which people aren't allowed back, why are they dangerous? Why is there so much risk to going to one? There aren't many shelters in my area but I've heard something similar but that it was due to bad conditions like overcrowding, also the fact that many people who aren't ready to ask for help don't feel comfortable.

2. If other places like soup kitchens and outreach programs are more likely to remember homeless people, then why are shelters placed so highly on the list? Is it mainly a bureaucratic thing?

3. You've mentioned that you've gotten to know the people you meet through the outreach program very well but you also say that chances of anyone remembering Bridged are very slim by this point. What makes you say that? The average person meets many people in 17 years and someone working in a field where they meet many people even more so, but it seems like it could be possible that someone who worked or volunteered at an outreach program at the time could remember her, even if vaguely, no?

4. Would her social security number have been used if she went to an outreach program? For example, in a scenario where she lived off the grid and is now happy and healthy somewhere but doesn't want to get in touch with her family for whatever reason, wouldn't she need to go through detox first?

All of your advice is very good and helpful. Thank you so much.

3. You've mentioned that you've gotten to know the people you meet through the outreach program very well but you also say that chances of anyone remembering Bridged are very slim by this point. What makes you say that? The average person meets many people in 17 years and someone working in a field where they meet many people even more so, but it seems like it could be possible that someone who worked or volunteered at an outreach program at the time could remember her, even if vaguely, no?

I'm not Astrokitty, but I think I can answer this one. I don't think she meant that the people who might have worked with Bridget wouldn't remember her, but that those people wouldn't be there anymore. In other words, the chances of FINDING someone who remembers her are slim.

It would be kind of like going to a McDonalds you hadn't been to in over 15 years (or in one year, for that matter) and expecting to see the same familiar employees taking your order.

People change jobs A LOT here, even corporate executives rarely stay put for more than a few years. I know a lot of the soup kitchen 'staff' are volunteers - college students, retired people, or others who are out of work for one reason or another.

I will answer when I can - I'm in the center of a tour so it's a travel day and wifi is spotty now.

:)

~In another time's forgotten space
your eyes looked through your mother's face
Wildflower seed on the sand and stone
may the four winds blow you safely home~

Bump for Bridget.

Trying to find basic info on this story is difficult lately. Many law bureaus involved over a handful of states spread out from coast to coast and the midwest. I have no idea if her family is still involved. Only thing I could find out about was her daughter from a couple newspaper snippets from six years ago that weren't relevant.

I don't think there is much family left - her sister died, I believe her mother was taking care of her daughter and she passed (not sure where/when I read that) so its just the daughter........who would be in her 20's now right?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CP95
Back