CA CA - Bryce Laspisa, 19, Castaic, 30 Aug 2013 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This case reminds me of Shane Fells' case (disappeared after car accident).

This is the timeline: (what else would you like to know?)

11:30 p.m. Wednesday - Bryce Laspisa leaves Chico, according to his girlfriend, Kim.

9 a.m. Thursday - Bryce runs out of gas near the Buttonwillow Rest Area, west of Bakersfield, according to his mother.

Noon Thursday - a roadside assistance serviceman named Christian delivers three gallons of gasoline to Bryce, according to a $20 credit card purchase for the fuel. “He’s not answering his phone (at this time),” his mother said.

12:30 p.m. Thursday - Karen Laspisa calls serviceman Christian and asks about her son. He tells her he appears “OK” but adds: “His eyes look a little red.” Bryce does not answer his cell phone.

9 p.m. Thursday - responding to a call from the mother, CHP officers stop and search Bryce’s car spotted on Lagoon Drive in Buttonwillow. “Something happened in the whole 10 hours he was around there,” she said.
Shortly after 10 p.m. Thursday - Karen speaks to her son on the phone and asks: “What are you doing?” His response, she said, is: “I’m going to hang with friends later.”

11 p.m. Thursday - Bryce tells his mother he’s buying a beverage at a gas station. A purchase is made for $1.71, she said.

Shortly after midnight Thursday - “He tells me he’s on the I-5 south but he’s telling me nothing,” she said.
1:50 a.m. Friday - Bryce, by phone, tells her he “had detoured off I-5 but was back on the I-5.”

2:08 a.m. Friday - Karen Laspisa talks to her son for the last time. He tells her his GPS tells him he will arrive in Laguna Niguel in three hours and 25 minutes. “He told me ‘I got off the I-5 and I’m in a suburban area. I’m going to sleep in my car,’”

Between 2:08 a.m. and 5 a.m. Friday - Bryce makes three trips to the crash site – the last trip ending with the crash, according to what his mother described as surveillance footage captured by cameras set up near Castaic Lake.

5:30 a.m. Friday - CHP officers locate his overturned SUV on a paved access road that leads to the Castaic Lake Main Boat ramp, at the bottom of a 15-foot ravine, on its side, with its rear window smashed. Although he left the valuables – laptop, cell phone and wallet – a duffle bag is found at the rear of the car and zipped open, prompting investigators to suspect he took something from it.

bumping this.

Okay more personal experience here so bear with me please :)

IF Bryce was on adderal or whatever upper med and IF he is in fact in a psychosis/catatonic state....don't give up on finding him! My son disappeared for 4 months. We had a missing persons report on him. Found out some scary stuff when he came to in the psychiatric ward several months after he was found. He started to tell us some of the stuff he remembered. I went white as a ghost! He was driving a car and monsters were flying in his window and started sucking his soul out, so he pulled over somewhere near Sacramento, he got out of the car and left it because the monsters were in it. Then he described walking on the freeway and cars were flying past them and they all had vampire teeth and wings and they were 'swooshing him' so he was hugging the wall (on the freeway? I have never figured out). He hitchhiked to. Somehow he got to Humbolt county in Nor Cal. He stole a car, it ran out of gas. Then he was walking again. Somehow, LE picked him up and he went to jail, in Sacramento County for 3 mos. he told us stories about how the people in jail could morph from a friend to a vampire in seconds. As he was telling me this he stuck his finger in my mouth and asked me how come I could grow vampire teeth like that. I'm crying as I type this because it is such a hard, hard thing to watch your perfect baby boy go through :( and its painful to realize what was and still is happening inside his mind :( he was released from jail 3 mos later, still unmedicated or diagnosed. Just released at the prison gate with whatever means they gave him and sent on his way. His name on his jail booking is similar, but not exactly correct. I don't know if this is why the LE couldn't match the missing persons report. I don't know if my son was even coherent enough at the time of arrest to speak. He somehow found his way back to the Bay Area about 3 weeks later and showed up at his grandmas house. By then, he was in a catatonic state. He didn't know who we were, who he was, where he was etc. we thought at first that he had fallen and hit his head. Maybe had a stroke, as he couldn't walk right. We also thought drugs, he must have done some kind of drug. At the hospital, he wouldn't let them do a CT scan, so they had to give him a small dose of sedative. That small dose knocked him out for 3 days, which turned out to be a blessing because they were then able to do a lot of tests on him to determine what happened. This is when they did a drug test and a hair follicle test. Negative for both. Also, no head injuries. When he came to, he was completely inconsolable. Everyone was a vampire, or monster or devil. He spoke of satan often (we are very religious so this terrified me) wouldn't sign his release papers, said that Satan was inside the pen. I just sat there and cried. I was overwhelmed and in total and complete shock. As a teen, he rebelled a little, ran away probably 10 times, wanted to drop out of school, smoked weed on occasion, but really up until age 16-17 he was a perfect child, perfect grades etc. so when he started acting up, we thought it was normal teen rebellion stuff. Or maybe the weed he was smoking then, you know bad crowd and all. This schizophrenia thing absolutely blind sided us all! My son stayed in psychiatric lock down unit for 18 months. It took months before he could form a sentence and a lot longer before he could carry on a conversation. Even today it is difficult to converse with him. He will accuse us of sucking his soul out, or his mantra (?) or something.

Okay so now you know why I wouldn't wish this disease on ANY ONE EVER. But really the reason why I've typed all this out is to give you an idea of what went on in my sons mind, how it was working (or not) and why there really IS still hope no matter how long anyone's been gone for. Oh the other thing I forgot to mention is, I hardly recognized my son when he showed up. His grandma didn't recognize him at all. He was 180lbs 6' tall when he went missing and had always kept his hair buzzed. When he showed up he was 115 lbs, eyes and cheeks sunken in, curly hair grown out looked like an Afro. So even with our photos posted all over, no one would have even recognized him. This also gives people an idea of where to look and what to look for. Bryce has only been missing 8 days, but if he is in a psychosis, with wild looking eyes etc he may not look anything like his photos.

I guess this is why I want to jump in my car and run down there and help all I can. I hope and pray that Bryce is found and found safe soon. I also hope more than anything that he is not going through anything like my son did/does. Just wanted to give some insight. Do not ever ever give up hope!!

We have such similar stories. Im so sorry. I know your pain all too well. My son has now been in and out of jail and psch wards for the last 10 years. He just turned 30. This will never end unfortunately.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Oh, and about the car key thing, Karen told the friends to give back the keys only after she talked to Bryce AND a few friends that she know and trusts their judgement.
I don't think giving him the keys back has any real relevance on what followed

Thanks so much for being here. It must be agonizing for you. I have so many questions that hopefully you won't find too bold.

Do you know why Bryce's friends were concerned enough to confiscate his keys to begin with? I mean to me that could actually be very important.

First of all, thanks for your thought.

To try to answer your question, that what my sister was told by friends, and she even put it in the timeline

10 p.m. Wednesday - Bryce reportedly tries to break up with his girlfriend. Friends, concerned about his behavior, take away his car keys.

It was later found out that that was not what happened. It seems like certain things "stick out" and people remember those things.
That's why I want to make sure the things I am posting are facts, otherwise things can be misconstrued and only hinder the investigation

What part of the blue, highlighted portion is incorrect? What actually happened? Did he not try to break up with his girlfriend? Did his friends not try to take away his keys, or both?

Dragracerz

I'd like to ask a question kind of delicately, I hope no offense is taken. I'm asking only from my own experience with my own son...
Is there any history in either side of Bryce's family of mental illness or Aspergers/autism ?

Again I ask only because of his age, which is predominantly when signs/symptoms spring up in schizophrenia. My sons symptoms hit at that age and shocked us all, we had no warning what so ever. I really hope and pray that this isn't the case for Bryce, but that also may explain why he is still missing...if he is in a catatonic state like we found me son, he may just be stumbling along somewhere.

I have the same questions. Dragracerz, can you also answer:

1. Why did Bryce's mom offer to fly up to him when he called to say he was breaking up with his girlfriend, if that's indeed what happened, or when whatever was said was said? (Did that happen?)
2. Why were the police looking for drugs or alcohol when they did the welfare check on Bryce?
3. What was Bryce's demeanor when his mom talked to him during his road trip? Did his demeanor concern her? Did she feel he was off? Hiding something? Being threatened?
4. Did Bryce say why he waited at Buttonwillow for so many hours instead of continuing on after he got gas?
5. Did Bryce ever talk about contacts or friends in Buttonwillow or Castaic prior to this trip?
6. Why did Bryce say he was suddenly coming home form school only a week or so after it started? What did his parents think about that? Did it strike them as odd?

Thank you for any answers you are able or willing to give. Although we don't want any family to suffer, we've gotten to know Bryce a tiny bit and don't want the person found to be him.

Hopefully, he's hiding out in a motel somewhere. I remember when I started law school, there was a young man due to start with my class but his car was found a few days before classes began, abandoned on the side of the freeway. His family was frantic. Everyone suspected foul play.

But a week or so later, he surfaced in Vegas. He had had a breakdown and couldn't face law school.

I hope something like that happened here and Bryce's surfaces alive.

If he wasn't messed up why didn't he try to make a call with his cell phone in the truck but yet was able to crawl out the broken window? None of this makes any sense. Do you think it's possible he had someone in the car with him to try some kind of hallucinogenic drug and thats why at the lake where no one would see them and he overdosed and whoever he was with got scared and did something to him.

Right now there are so many scenarios and possibilities. If he was injured could he had been attacked by a mountain? they do have them there but rarely do they attack humans. I know several years ago in OC where I live a mountain bikers chain fell off in Silverado Canyon and he was mauled and killed by a mountain lion as people watched in horror throwing rocks to ward him off.

So for the bad writing but I am so sleepy!!!

Mountain Lion I mean sorry I'm tired

If he wasn't messed up why didn't he try to make a call with his cell phone in the truck but yet was able to crawl out the broken window? None of this makes any sense.

SBM

On the cell phone, wallet and personal effects issue.. It was brought up a few days ago that it was dark, veh rolled on side so stuff thrown all over car. He probably couldn't find anything in the dark so left it to go get help. (Hopefully)

If he wasn't messed up why didn't he try to make a call with his cell phone in the truck but yet was able to crawl out the broken window? None of this makes any sense. Do you think it's possible he had someone in the car with him to try some kind of hallucinogenic drug and thats why at the lake where no one would see them and he overdosed and whoever he was with got scared and did something to him.

Right now there are so many scenarios and possibilities. If he was injured could he had been attacked by a mountain? they do have them there but rarely do they attack humans. I know several years ago in OC where I live a mountain bikers chain fell off in Silverado Canyon and he was mauled and killed by a mountain lion as people watched in horror throwing rocks to ward him off.

So for the bad writing but I am so sleepy!!!

Anything is possible at this point. I'm having a hard time believing he is still in the area; it seems there would be some sign of him be it tracks (dogs / size 15 shoe), signs of survival - smoke, food wrappers, excess clothing?

With the Highway nearby and the truck-stops, it seems somewhat reasonable to believe he would have been able to hitchhike or get a ride with someone there for recreation.

Certainly cannot rule out predators in nature, especially if he was injured. Not at all familiar with the terrain or wildlife in the area but it is geographically similar to where I live and we have mountain lions...seems there would be some sign of an attack but I fear human beings more than I do wild animals.

Personally, I am leaning toward your original "concerns". He may be in a horrifying state of mind right now but at least he may be alive. Who knows how far a person can walk when they fear they are being pursued (paranoia) or only know that they must keep moving?

It is heart wrenching and so difficult to "wait and see". Sunrise is just a few hours away... maybe it will bring good news.

Good night.

*sleeping with fingers crossed*

Goodnight to everyone. I hope he is found Sunday :)

Hi there, I'm new up here, and followed this since second last friday.
I normally don't follow missing cases, because I'm from germany, but something about that got my attention immediately.

I found it interesting that most of you came up with so many conclusions. What I found suspicious is, when the burned body showed up, he's been already 5 days missing and 5 days later, not 5 hours, that happened. I'm apologizing in advance for my thoughts,please don't take it as a offence,I know most people always hopes for the best, but I'm quiet different, I always think the worst, because of what happened to me. So if it comes out with something good, I can be happy that I was wrong, if it's turn out badly, I can say I knew it(in 90 % of the times).Just an explanation how I see things,always.
Ok, back to the topic. The other Body found in gorman was on wednesday 28. So this can't be BL. Nevertheless, what I found suspicious was, I read that the body belongs to a black male, and they stated that as a suicide. When I tried to looking for this article again on friday, it was gone, I just found that the body wasn't identified.Very odd. :dunno: I saw pictures of the other 1, newspaper are sometimes gross, and from what I saw, makes me wondering why it takes so long for determine. Because I'm not sure to write down what I saw, so I lay it down.

For all the Families involved in this, I'm truly wishing the best and everything will be discovered.
Apologize for my terrible writing. Taught the most all by myself.
Kind regards Dee

:welcome6: to Websleuths, deicide! First your writing is perfectly good and easy to read so don't worry about that all.

Now as far as the body goes yes it's a stretch with the timing of all of it, but I assure you a lot of us have seen a lot weirder pretty often. I find that with these cases the best way to get to what actually happened is just to throw all of your basic logical out the window.

Everyone handles reading about these types of things in different ways. A lot of it is hard to deal with and everyone copes differently. There is no right to really... everyone is just different.

Hello!

I'm new to this thread and to WebSleuths. I have been following everyone's posts here for days now but couldn't join in due to some difficulties registering. But I'm here now and although I might not have much beneficial to add, I have been following Bryce's case for a week now and it has been laying heavy on my heart, as I know it has everyone's. So I felt I had to join in and at least express my care and concern, if nothing else.

I did, however, stumble upon something while looking up an article about the burning body by Castaic Lake. I CAN'T say it has ANYTHING to do with the body that was discovered this past Wednesday. It may just be pure coincidence. But I DO think it is a VERY odd coincidence, if it is one. There seems to be way too many burning bodies turning up in that particular area.

First, a man's burning body in 2009 that was identified and linked to a gang related case. And then about a year later in Oct. 2010, another body, unidentified, is found burnt beyond recognition. WEIRD! So, what I am wondering is if perhaps the reason LE is being so hush-hush and taking forever to release any information is linked to these other bodies.

They know the first body was dumped there by a local gang, perhaps the second one was as well, I don't know. So is this body discovered on Wednesday also something to do with the gang and maybe the police are not wanting to say it isn't Bryce because they are quietly pursuing leads within the gang?

I may be way off but I just thought it would be really nice if this was the case and maybe they already know it isn't Bryce. It just seems too coincidental that two burning bodies were discovered by the lake years before Bryce, for this one to end up being Bryce.

I will post the links to the two stories I found so you can take a look and see the similarities. One thing that stood out to me is that one of them was even noticed at 5:39 am, which is close to the 6 am that this one on Wednesday was found. May have nothing to do with anything, but I am just wondering if perhaps the gang kills the victim at night and dumps the body in the early morning. Perhaps this lake is "their dumping grounds". I feel sorry for all the victims, honestly, it's terribly sad. But I am still holding out hope that this body is NOT Bryce and perhaps these other bizarre burning bodies are the reason the police can not confirm it is not Bryce yet.

Here are the links to the two stories:

http://www.signalscv.com/archives/18192

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2010/10/small-brush-fire-quickly-knocked-down.html

Hope that provides some food for thought and gives us all some hope that Bryce is still out there somewhere!

Another thing, and I am sure this has come up at some other time on this thread, but looking through Bryce's Facebook page, it is clear that he had some very close friendships back in IL. I saw one place where he indicates he is going back there for a visit. I hope that all measures have been taken to ensure that he is not hiding out with some of these friends back there.

Perhaps the reason it would cross my mind is that I full well remember how homesick I was when I first moved to the West Coast from NC. (Somedays, I still am homesick and this is two years later!) I don't think Bryce seems to be a heartless person AT ALL so I can not imagine him putting his family through all this just so he could sneak back to be with his friends in his hometown. But like some of you have mentioned, 19 yr olds don't always have the forethought to realize how much something like their disappearance would freak people out and make them worry sick. Or there could be other reasons for why he doesn't want anyone to know.

I don't know. It doesn't seem like a plausible theory but was just something that stood out to me - the close bond he seemed to share with friends back in IL and the fact that he was born there and lived there (it appears anyway??) till they moved to CA. Just a thought that I hope LE has looked into as well.

Hi there, I'm new up here, and followed this since second last friday.
I normally don't follow missing cases, because I'm from germany, but something about that got my attention immediately.

I found it interesting that most of you came up with so many conclusions. What I found suspicious is, when the burned body showed up, he's been already 5 days missing and 5 days later, not 5 hours, that happened. I'm apologizing in advance for my thoughts,please don't take it as a offence,I know most people always hopes for the best, but I'm quiet different, I always think the worst, because of what happened to me. So if it comes out with something good, I can be happy that I was wrong, if it's turn out badly, I can say I knew it(in 90 % of the times).Just an explanation how I see things,always.
Ok, back to the topic. The other Body found in gorman was on wednesday 28. So this can't be BL. Nevertheless, what I found suspicious was, I read that the body belongs to a black male, and they stated that as a suicide. When I tried to looking for this article again on friday, it was gone, I just found that the body wasn't identified.Very odd. :dunno: I saw pictures of the other 1, newspaper are sometimes gross, and from what I saw, makes me wondering why it takes so long for determine. Because I'm not sure to write down what I saw, so I lay it down.

For all the Families involved in this, I'm truly wishing the best and everything will be discovered.
Apologize for my terrible writing. Taught the most all by myself.
Kind regards Dee
:welcome: Deicide!

Wow! You are joining us all the way from Germany!

:seeya:

Hello!

I'm new to this thread and to WebSleuths. I have been following everyone's posts here for days now but couldn't join in due to some difficulties registering. But I'm here now and although I might not have much beneficial to add, I have been following Bryce's case for a week now and it has been laying heavy on my heart, as I know it has everyone's. So I felt I had to join in and at least express my care and concern, if nothing else.

I did, however, stumble upon something while looking up an article about the burning body by Castaic Lake. I CAN'T say it has ANYTHING to do with the body that was discovered this past Wednesday. It may just be pure coincidence. But I DO think it is a VERY odd coincidence, if it is one. There seems to be way too many burning bodies turning up in that particular area.

First, a man's burning body in 2009 that was identified and linked to a gang related case. And then about a year later in Oct. 2010, another body, unidentified, is found burnt beyond recognition. WEIRD! So, what I am wondering is if perhaps the reason LE is being so hush-hush and taking forever to release any information is linked to these other bodies.

They know the first body was dumped there by a local gang, perhaps the second one was as well, I don't know. So is this body discovered on Wednesday also something to do with the gang and maybe the police are not wanting to say it isn't Bryce because they are quietly pursuing leads within the gang?

I may be way off but I just thought it would be really nice if this was the case and maybe they already know it isn't Bryce. It just seems too coincidental that two burning bodies were discovered by the lake years before Bryce, for this one to end up being Bryce.

I will post the links to the two stories I found so you can take a look and see the similarities. One thing that stood out to me is that one of them was even noticed at 5:39 am, which is close to the 6 am that this one on Wednesday was found. May have nothing to do with anything, but I am just wondering if perhaps the gang kills the victim at night and dumps the body in the early morning. Perhaps this lake is "their dumping grounds". I feel sorry for all the victims, honestly, it's terribly sad. But I am still holding out hope that this body is NOT Bryce and perhaps these other bizarre burning bodies are the reason the police can not confirm it is not Bryce yet.

Here are the links to the two stories:

http://www.signalscv.com/archives/18192

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2010/10/small-brush-fire-quickly-knocked-down.html

Hope that provides some food for thought and gives us all some hope that Bryce is still out there somewhere!

Another thing, and I am sure this has come up at some other time on this thread, but looking through Bryce's Facebook page, it is clear that he had some very close friendships back in IL. I saw one place where he indicates he is going back there for a visit. I hope that all measures have been taken to ensure that he is not hiding out with some of these friends back there.

Perhaps the reason it would cross my mind is that I full well remember how homesick I was when I first moved to the West Coast from NC. (Somedays, I still am homesick and this is two years later!) I don't think Bryce seems to be a heartless person AT ALL so I can not imagine him putting his family through all this just so he could sneak back to be with his friends in his hometown. But like some of you have mentioned, 19 yr olds don't always have the forethought to realize how much something like their disappearance would freak people out and make them worry sick. Or there could be other reasons for why he doesn't want anyone to know.

I don't know. It doesn't seem like a plausible theory but was just something that stood out to me - the close bond he seemed to share with friends back in IL and the fact that he was born there and lived there (it appears anyway??) till they moved to CA. Just a thought that I hope LE has looked into as well.

:welcome: PoirotsGirlFriday!

I do know there is A LOT of gang related activity in the greater Los Angeles area... And down into Santa Ana, too... As I live in Southern California...

what it has to do with Bryce's situation... I don't know... But gang activity could very well be connected to the burning bodies you mentioned...

I, too, am wondering if Bryce is still homesick for his friends in Illinois... And if this homesickness is connected in some way to his disappearance...

All... JMO

and...:seeya:

@ dragracerz: Has anyone in the family made contact with Marc Klaas?

Not that I know of. I thought it was for younger (pre 18) kids

Dragracerz, do you know what Valero gas station and when? Would be helpful to add that to the timeline. Thank you.

I believe either just before of after the Shell gas station 10:30 PM

Dragracerz

I'd like to ask a question kind of delicately, I hope no offense is taken. I'm asking only from my own experience with my own son...
Is there any history in either side of Bryce's family of mental illness or Aspergers/autism ?

Again I ask only because of his age, which is predominantly when signs/symptoms spring up in schizophrenia. My sons symptoms hit at that age and shocked us all, we had no warning what so ever. I really hope and pray that this isn't the case for Bryce, but that also may explain why he is still missing...if he is in a catatonic state like we found me son, he may just be stumbling along somewhere.

There is no family history of mental illness

((Hugs)) almost exactly what I've been through these past 6 yrs with my son. Which is why I REALLY hope it's not the case for Bryce and his family. I wouldn't wish it on anyone in the world.

Sorry to hear about your son. I hope this isn't the case with Bryce also

We did not get any news yesterday. It is terrible that my sister is told "should hear something Saturday" and yet no calls and no replies

:welcome: PoirotsGirlFriday!

I do know there is A LOT of gang related activity in the greater Los Angeles area... And down into Santa Ana, too... As I live in Southern California...

what it has to do with Bryce's situation... I don't know... But gang activity could very well be connected to the burning bodies you mentioned...

I, too, am wondering if Bryce is still homesick for his friends in Illinois... And if this homesickness is connected in some way to his disappearance...

All... JMO

and...:seeya:

Bryce was not affiliated with a gang.
He was planning on going to IL to see friends over the winter break
People are on the lookout for him here (IL) and even if someone was "hiding" him, there are some friends that would let family know, or at least I would hope so.
I haven't read the 2 cases posted yet (about the gangs / burning bodies) as I am trying to play catch up in the thread

HD

I think everything was scattered in his vehicle that he just wanted to get out, plus it was dark and maybe he couldn't find the phone.

There is no evidence that someone was with him - most shows he was alone - at least until after he was questioned by police and after the roadside assistance left him.

CORRECTION
His normal shoe size was 12. I had posted earlier that I thought it larger.

I had remembered a conversation I had w/ Bryce when we were in Arizona a couple years about shoes and for some reason thought he wore a larger shoe. Sorry for the bad info

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alicat3