CA CA - Bryce Laspisa, 19, Castaic, 30 Aug 2013 - #10

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Watched the show again on ID TV. The lead investigator thinks he is alive. I am not so sure. Something was really on his mind that if the show portrays the facts with any accuracy, leads me to think it was something he could not face and was concerned about telling his parents. Gave away his personal effects. Sat in the car for a very long time. Seems clear from the show that my initial gut feeling about him trying to drive the SUV into the lake is proven out, however was it attempted suicide or just to hide the SUV while he walked away. Took him a long time to make a decision on what course of action he was going to take. Not too many things that rise to that level. Broke up with his girlfriend, so it's probably not relationship related. Doubt GPA would rise to that level. Disease? Money? Metal Breakdown? Someone after him? Drugs?

I just wish after all this time there were some definitive answers for his parents and selfishly, for us who followed this case from the beginning.

I would love to believe that Bryce is still alive and maybe out there trying to find himself. But for as many clues that he walked away with a few scratches, there are clues he never made it out of Castaic. Answers would be wonderful for all concerned. FWIW

We have case after case after case of young men ending up in the water. Such a weird phenomenon. If Bryce isn't in the lake (I think he is), I believe his body is close by. Very close.
It's just so very hard to find people in water, or outside.

This said, if I were his Mom, as long as remains haven't been found I wouldn't give up hope either.

This case (along with a few others) sits in the back of my mind all the time. Two things would help rule out Castaic. First would be a fingertip to fingertip grid search of the entire area. Second would be a second search of the lake with both divers and side scan sonar on an underwater ROV that would include the spillway and the waterway below it. If it can be proven he is not in the lake or anywhere else in the park, the walkaway scenario is much more probable. The other nagging thing is when he crashed the SUV, what would have prevented him from going into the lake or walking away. Did he stumble into some other illicit activity while in a compromised state of mind?

Just stopping by as I saw a few more recent posts.

I have to agree with you Trackergd - another second search of the complete area around and IN Castaic Lake. I think they should have done that - I believe it was 2015 - when the drought hit and there was hardly any water in the Lake. I was up that way for my little bro memorial in Lake Elizabeth.
At least if I were his mother I would go for it. I'm pretty sure there are people around there that would give her some help.

I also believe he is in the lake....

I remember a test scenario during my NASAR SAR Manager Course many years ago. The subject was in high hill country, lost and saw something that caught his attention. He picked a gully/wash running down the mountain and started to walk down it in the belief it would guide him to the bottom. At some point, he stumbled, fell and incurred a fatal injury. He was found later in a more detailed search. I am wondering if Bryce is in a wash or gully that is not visible during a hasty search.

I just finished watching an episode of Disappeared about Bryce Laspisa. Bloodhounds tracked his scent to a truck stop before the scent dissipated. I wonder if Bryce was picked up by a trucker, and was either murdered or let out somewhere. I firmly believe that some truckers are murderers. It is possible that Bryce was picked up by the wrong trucker and met his demise.

I too recall that the dogs ended there trail by the truck stop. Could be possible he did hitch a ride - and IS still out there - somewhere.... just doesn't want to be found?

It is possible, I guess. Law enforcement could trace his social security number to see if it is being used. I don't see why he would to intentionally disappear since he had a good relationship with his folks. Unless he had gotten in some kind of pickle with a drug dealer.

It is possible, I guess. Law enforcement could trace his social security number to see if it is being used. I don't see why he would to intentionally disappear since he had a good relationship with his folks. Unless he had gotten in some kind of pickle with a drug dealer.

I always thought he struggled with his mental health. That is how I imagined it when it was explained about him sitting in his car for hours after stopping when he was trying to drive home. The way he was described sounded like he was vacant. So, given that, I wondered if he was still alive but maybe couldn't remember who he was or had some kind of a mental illness that was stopping him from coming back home. Also, maybe he is living as a transient and does not use use his SSN.

I always thought he struggled with his mental health. That is how I imagined it when it was explained about him sitting in his car for hours after stopping when he was trying to drive home. The way he was described sounded like he was vacant. So, given that, I wondered if he was still alive but maybe couldn't remember who he was or had some kind of a mental illness that was stopping him from coming back home. Also, maybe he is living as a transient and does not use use his SSN.
His actions leading up to his disappearance definitely point to major mental issues. It’s not like he drove home and made a short pit stop and disappeared. His is one of the very few cases I’ve followed where I believe he may be alive. There are so many young homeless men. I live in a city that has a major railroad depot. I see these young guys hop on and off trains all the time. I doubt most of them stay in contact with their families. Actually, Bryce went to college one town over from where I live so he probably had seen them also.

His actions leading up to his disappearance definitely point to major mental issues. It’s not like he drove home and made a short pit stop and disappeared. His is one of the very few cases I’ve followed where I believe he may be alive. There are so many young homeless men. I live in a city that has a major railroad depot. I see these young guys hop on and off trains all the time. I doubt most of them stay in contact with their families. Actually, Bryce went to college one town over from where I live so he probably had seen them also.

I used to be quite positive and think (or maybe it was more hope) for the most part that people were alive after they disappeared. But after a few years at WS... safe to say that I am getting cynical! But, I do think Bryce is alive.

I see a lot of homeless as I work in the city, and often times I look and wonder if I someone is missing them.

I used to be quite positive and think (or maybe it was more hope) for the most part that people were alive after they disappeared. But after a few years at WS... safe to say that I am getting cynical! But, I do think Bryce is alive.

I see a lot of homeless as I work in the city, and often times I look and wonder if I someone is missing them.

I was in a large city recently and saw two young men who looked very homeless, like "tweekers" and I was wondering the same thing about them. Actually, now that I think of it, I should have looked more closely at them.

I just finished watching an episode of Disappeared about Bryce Laspisa. Bloodhounds tracked his scent to a truck stop before the scent dissipated. I wonder if Bryce was picked up by a trucker, and was either murdered or let out somewhere. I firmly believe that some truckers are murderers. It is possible that Bryce was picked up by the wrong trucker and met his demise.

JMO
I think about this case often and if I remember the dog searching I think there was some conflicting reports about it. I havent seen that show yet and will have to try to watch that.

I seem to remember there were at least two different dog searching and one of them indicated he may have walked down to the banks of the water.

I do recall the other one too which is why it was confusing.

The main reason I lean towards the Lake still is because of the wreck of the truck. If that was done on purpose then to me it pointed to a suicide attempt. And I think he may have continued with that attempt by entering the water.

I do think a more thorough search of the Lake would be good to do. Its a very deep lake I believe and it would help to either eliminate it or maybe even find him in the lake.

After the lake water search then I also think another more thorough foot search of the areas around the lake would be good too because like Trackergd said he may have fallen into a raveen where it would be hard to spot him.

The walking away and being picked up by someone is also a possibility and by doing more thorough searches of the lake water and surrounding lake area on land then it could eliminate that as a possibility and to help focus on him being still alive somewhere else.

Does the sonar not eliminate Castaic Lake?

Do you mean the previous lake searches?

Regardless of the previous searches, many many times a person is found when doing a secondary or more searching.

There are many reasons why it sometimes takes multiple searches to find someone. Tracker can probably answer better than I can why it happens but I do have some theories on why a person is sometimes found in secondary or more searching.

I think what happens in original searches is there is haste in trying to find someone and so maybe things move too quickly and people are missed.

Another reason why I think people are found in secondary or more searching is because the environment changes that allows a person to be found. For example in the water his body may have been hidden under some debri and after lots of boat traffic maybe his body has now shifted to where he can be spotted.

On land, the environment changes all the time. Animals can move bones around. And leaves fall off in the fall and some plants die so sometimes you can find someone easier in the winter time than in summer time. So there are many reasons why sometimes it takes multiple searches of the same area to find someone.

Do you mean the previous lake searches?

Regardless of the previous searches, many many times a person is found when doing a secondary or more searching.

There are many reasons why it sometimes takes multiple searches to find someone. Tracker can probably answer better than I can why it happens but I do have some theories on why a person is sometimes found in secondary or more searching.

I think what happens in original searches is there is haste in trying to find someone and so maybe things move too quickly and people are missed.

Another reason why I think people are found in secondary or more searching is because the environment changes that allows a person to be found. For example in the water his body may have been hidden under some debri and after lots of boat traffic maybe his body has now shifted to where he can be spotted.

On land, the environment changes all the time. Animals can move bones around. And leaves fall off in the fall and some plants die so sometimes you can find someone easier in the winter time than in summer time. So there are many reasons why sometimes it takes multiple searches of the same area to find someone.

I mean the sonar searches they had in 2015.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Agent 9
Back