CA CA - Bryce Laspisa, 19, Castaic, 30 Aug 2013 - #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
In the future, all you have to do is hit the back button and it will all be there!
RSBM

Thanks! That's what I did & then C&P'd. I hadn't realized where we were on post count & initially thought the thread got shut down by LE or something. LOL!

RE: SD being last to see Bryce - When Bryce spent 10 hrs in Buttonwillow & his mom couldn't get ahold of him, she filed a missing persons report & then they pinged his phone & SD located him quite quickly. It was reported that all was fine & Bryce was then in contact with his mom.

JMO: Realizing the effects of Adderall & the withdrawals, I think he really was sleeping in Buttonwillow for all that time.

Ummm, have to disagree, I'm a native Californian who has traveled this stretch of I5 many times (2-3x/year). I consider the Grapevine to be anywhere from Fort Tejon to the San Fernando Valley.

There must be a widely varying definition. I'm a native here as well, who has travelled that stretch many, many times, as recently as a couple weeks ago. For me, the Grapevine is the mountainous, unpopulated, non-suburban area of I-5 from just north of Castaic to North of Ft Tejon once you're out of the mountains.

Ummm, have to disagree, I'm a native Angelino who has traveled this stretch of I5 many times (2-3x/year). I consider the Grapevine to be anywhere from Fort Tejon to the San Fernando Valley.

No need for snark. I am a native Angeleno as well. There is obviously a variance in definition.

Same situation with Linnea Lomax (I am family). We may have never found her without KlassKids. There is something seriously wrong with the way LE handles adult missing cases, particularly this young adult age where they tend to dismiss them as runaways and yet have no incentive to find them the way they do when it is a minor. This is due in no small part to the legal aspects that LE has no control over, but IMO, it has created a culture of back-burner-ing (just made that word up!) these VERY serious young adult cases that often involve newly surfaced mental illnesses or foul play. I remember several cases I discovered on WS while searching for Linnea. They were SO similar to hers and almost always, the families were more or less on their own. There are many things you can do while LE does their thing without breaking any laws or interfering with their investigation. I just wish there was more information and orgs like Klass that could get to every family and work with them in those first crucial days and weeks. So many more would be found.
Linnea's case was heartbreaking! So sorry for your loss! :heartbeat:

She sounded like such a lovely young woman with such a sweet personality!

There must be a widely varying definition. I'm a native here as well, who has travelled that stretch many, many times, as recently as a couple weeks ago. For me, the Grapevine is the mountainous, unpopulated, non-suburban area of I-5 from just north of Castaic to North of Ft Tejon once you're out of the mountains.
It's not unpopulated between Castaic Lake and Fort Tejon. There are many small towns- Castaic, Frazier Park, Gorman, and Lebec for example.

That family was totally in the dark for the longer time but they mobilized quickly and began their own
Investigation and search. They found Michelle. Not law enforcement.

Good. I hope Marc can get you all help quickly.

Respectfully snipped

Same situation with Linnea Lomax (I am family). We may have never found her without KlassKids. There is something seriously wrong with the way LE handles adult missing cases, particularly this young adult age where they tend to dismiss them as runaways and yet have no incentive to find them the way they do when it is a minor. This is due in no small part to the legal aspects that LE has no control over, but IMO, it has created a culture of back-burner-ing (just made that word up!) these VERY serious young adult cases that often involve newly surfaced mental illnesses or foul play. I remember several cases I discovered on WS while searching for Linnea. They were SO similar to hers and almost always, the families were more or less on their own. There are many things you can do while LE does their thing without breaking any laws or interfering with their investigation. I just wish there was more information and orgs like Klass that could get to every family and work with them in those first crucial days and weeks. So many more would be found.[/QUOTE]

:grouphug: Runlove... :grouphug:

I understand the concept of wanting to get away from family, pressures, etc. even disappearing. But leaving car, phone, wallet, computer all behind, that makes me think this did not happen. JMO

Except that's exactly how it's happened in multiple cases. One poster on here actually disappeared I that manner for two years, just walked out the door into a storm and never even used her credit card.

I don't understand it myself. In fact, I don't understand how it works. How does someone survive 24 hours without cash, cards or a vehicle.

But my inability to understand it doesn't mean it doesn't happen. It does. It has as we've seen in various examples on these threads.

I'm having a hard time figuring why LE would turn down TES or other volunteer groups. And why it's taking so long for them to update the family... Hoping it's not because they've ID'd the body as Bryce.

It's typical in many cases. TES is turned away in lots of cases.

It's not unpopulated between Castaic Lake and Fort Tejon. There are many small towns- Castaic, Frazier Park, Gorman, and Lebec for example.

I think by unpopulated it's meant they there are few people living there, or very small towns. That a pretty isolated, rural area there.

I'm having a hard time figuring why LE would turn down TES or other volunteer groups. And why it's taking so long for them to update the family... Hoping it's not because they've ID'd the body as Bryce.
I can think of two reasons: egos or they already have a good idea of what happened and they're trying to keep the investigation on the down low, so to speak. Just two ideas that popped into my head and JMO - I've got absolutely nothing against LE and know nothing about this particular LE so I'm not saying either apply in this case.

Such a large area to search, you would think they would accept help.

I said "unpopulated" & then "non-suburban" forgetting to go back & delete 'unpopulated'. But If you know the area, you know what I mean. Going north through OC, LA, SFV, & SCV, t's pretty desolate anywhere north of Castaic through the mountains for a very long ways.

I have a new Flyer courtesy of KlassKIDS, and am glad they are helping.

I know there were some comments as to the family needing to do more. Believe me we are doing whatever we can. The family in CA has been traveling the route making sure flyers are up, checking with places Bryce stopped, at the crash site, etc etc. This has been a daily thing. Some volunteer searches were stopped by LE as they don't want anyone (hikers) getting injured searching.

I have posted on FB requesting that anyone willing to post flyers, search surrounding residential areas etc, or even be a leader to coordinate these things to contact me directly. I have started a new gmail acct with the same name as the FB page, for people to contact me. (I don't know if its ok to post an email address on here)
I see how many posts on that page get buried quickly, a lot of people willing to help getting overlooked.
Hopefully now with KlassKIDS involved and hopefully TeamAmber soon, we can get some professional direction as how to do this properly

I said "unpopulated" & then "non-suburban" forgetting to go back & delete 'unpopulated'. But If you know the area, you know what I mean. Going north through OC, LA, SFV, & SCV, t's pretty desolate anywhere north of Castaic through the mountains for a very long ways.
mmm, I've stopped often in the towns I mentioned, so I don't think of it that way. In fact, I used to go star gazing at Frazier Park, go to the snow there, and Girl Scout camp. There is also a major truck stop at Frazier Park I've gone to alot.

I have a new Flyer courtesy of KlassKIDS, and am glad they are helping.

I know there were some comments as to the family needing to do more. Believe me we are doing whatever we can. The family in CA has been traveling the route making sure flyers are up, checking with places Bryce stopped, at the crash site, etc etc. This has been a daily thing. Some volunteer searches were stopped by LE as they don't want anyone (hikers) getting injured searching.

I have posted on FB requesting that anyone willing to post flyers, search surrounding residential areas etc, or even be a leader to coordinate these things to contact me directly. I have started a new gmail acct with the same name as the FB page, for people to contact me. (I don't know if its ok to post an email address on here)
I see how many posts on that page get buried quickly, a lot of people willing to help getting overlooked.
Hopefully now with KlassKIDS involved and hopefully TeamAmber soon, we can get some professional direction as how to do this properly

So glad KlaasKIDS are on board!

BBM - posting your new flyer:

1209272_10201952667968204_1012805598_n.jpg

https://sphotos-b-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net/...20/1209272_10201952667968204_1012805598_n.jpg

When people have up and left before, it usually has not been at the edge of a lake after a wreck, IMO. But of course anything is possible, though even with having followed many, many cases, I don't know how to do it (disappear without a trace.)

Thanks Quester !

I didn't know if it was OK to post the flyer

Hopefully hear something from LE tomorrow - will post update

Again a big thanks to all !

A special thanks to:
Laura Recovery Center Foundation
KlassKIDS
TexasEquuis
TeamAmber

Hopefully hear something from LE tomorrow - will post update

Again a big thanks to all !

A special thanks to:
Laura Recovery Center Foundation
KlassKIDS
TexasEquuis
TeamAmber

You are working so hard to find Bryce!

I am so glad you now have these great organizations helping you, Bryce's family, and Bryce!

:grouphug:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member