CA CA - Bryce Laspisa, 19, Castaic, 30 Aug 2013 - #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
No update tonight, I think dragz/LE know something which he cannot share here...
I will be contacting LE in the am, just to give my opinion on the "brother" on the social networking site whom I believe could POSSIBLY be BL.

I truly hope they've finally got something solid!!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Hmm. I wonder who else has access to his Facebook page. LE does... where did they get his login info? Do his parents also have the login info? I'm not trying to even remotely implicate his parents in anything, I'm just thinking that if they too have the login info it could be showing activity even if it's not Bryce. He's young enough I can see them having access from when he was in high school.

Bryce's parents are monitoring his FB page. My son emailed Bryce thru FB the Saturday after his disappearance to see if perhaps Bryce was somewhere checking it. Early Sunday afternoon, it showed that the email had been read. My son emailed Bryce's mom and she said they picked it up.

If it's true that the window was smashed from the inside and if it was with an emergency tool, here are some possibilities:

1. Crash was an accident and Bryce was possibly somewhat injured but able enough to remember there was a tool and find it and use it and exit the vehicle and either met with misfortune in some way or is disoriented and wandering around or is mortified by what happened and is hiding. (At age 20 I was really embarrassed that I dented the car which was on loan from my parents and came home crying but it didn't occur to me not to come home - my Dad said "It's only sheet metal" and I felt better immediately! But I also wasn't impaired from lack of sleep or drug use at the time and going through other serious issues at the time either - no romantic entanglements and doing great in school at the time - all emotions are so intense when you're young!)

2. His intention was to disappear and the car crash was staging. This doesn't seem too likely to me though. If someone was going to do this, wouldn't they just push the car off of a hill of some kind and not go down in it and risk injury?

3. Car crash was suicide attempt and it didn't work. After unintentionally surviving, either met with misfortune in some way or is disoriented and wandering around or is mortified by what happened and is hiding, or attempted suicide in some other way after exiting the vehicle.

4. A kidnapper or carjacker actually crashed the car. If this is the case then they had to think to look for a tool to break the window and find it. I don't know how likely this is. Does anyone know how his emergency kit was stored and if it's easy to find?

Any other possibilities?

As for state of mind after crashing a car - I was in a rollover accident on black ice when I was 25 and was not injured in the slightest. I did have to climb on the passenger seat and push open the passenger door and jump out to get out. I was kind of on the side of a mountain and tangled in a tree which was keeping the car from rolling all the way down the mountain. The car engine died on impact but I did turn off the ignition and take the keys because I didn't want gasoline to keep leaking out (don't know if that really prevents that, but that was my thought.) I took only the keys and left my purse and backpack in the car because my priority was getting out. (This is in the days before cell phones so now the cell phone would be a much higher priority because it's the ticket to getting help - in my case an off-duty fireman with a radio stopped and called for help for me.) I was very upset and scared but able to act rationally because I had no head injury or any other kind of injury. I was able to go to work after the car was extricated - it was towed to a repair shop near where I worked and I was able to pick it up and drive it home that night (how miraculous is that). I had a bit of PTSD possibly - for awhile whenever there was bad weather and I had to drive in it I'd lose feeling in my extremities and hyperventilate and start to lose peripheral vision - not fun. But I had no effects that made me not know who I was or where I was or anything like that.

It would be good to know whose blood was in the car, and if the emergency tool was found, does it have fingerprints? A killer would probably wipe the tool and throw it in the lake or throw it somewhere else, do you think? If Bryce used it he'd probably just leave it in or near the car, right? Unless he was staging.

Hi all. I'm new to this forum and find myself drawn to this case, partially because he's originally from my area in IL and also because I have two young boys and can't imagine the pain his loved ones are facing. I know first hand the pain of losing someone unexpectedly and it's unimaginable but the frustration of not knowing where your child is is horrific to me.

My question is why aren't we hearing more from the girlfriend? If what I've read is right he was told his mom he was breaking up with her. Did that happen? Do we know why? Also, I'm curious as to what the roommate thinks of all this. Did I read somewhere that he thought he needed to find himself. I may be mixing up cases, but that would suggest he had a hint of something that was troubling him.

Prayers being said in Chicago.

I have been reading the BL thread from the very beginning. This case has me so torn up. I seriously can not think about anything else :/. Where are you BL?!?

I have been racking my brain, and a couple theories pop in mind.
1. Could he a crawled in the back of his SUV to sleep and left his car running to keep cool and someone stole his car not knowing he was in the back. Maybe he tried to break out the back to escape. Then, later his car was disposed of by the car jacker? But, why wern't any of his things taken?
2. Could he have made it to the main road to flag down help and was accidentally hit by a car and disposed of? Have the sides of the roads or surrounding areas by the roads been checked?

Dragracerz- he is so lucky to have such a wonderful uncle! You are doing an amazing job. My heart is aching for your family.

Welcome new friends! Great posts!

O/T Pantyhose for alternator belt. (Doubt it would work with the one-belt-does-all serpentine belts, BTW)

While on a trip up CA101, one of the bolts holding my alternator on (an old '75 one ton truck with a tool bed) sheared off, so the alternator flopped down and wouldn't charge the battery. The threaded part of the bolt was stuck in the block. The belt got broken. It was about 1:30 at night. I searched through the bins in the truck, trying to figure out how to get back on the road. Buried in the back of the truck was a pair of pantyhose (I still have no idea how they got there....) and, of course, tie wire (for tying up wooden frames for concrete work-no, I don't do concrete work, but the wire is very malleable). I put the remainder of the bolt through the alternator bolt holes, used the wire to tie it in place and attached it to the engine mounts, then took the pantyhose (both legs), wrapped them around the pulleys for the alternator and fan, pulled with everything I had, and knotted the pantyhose (cutting off the extra). The advantage was that the knot was small enough to fit in the pulleys and not jump track. I made it from Lompoc, CA to San Luis Obispo, CA (about 60 miles) and to the place I needed to be the next morning with that set up. (I fixed it the right way at lunch.) Anyone else's mileage on this fix may vary, but that's why I keep a pair in my emergency bag.

Wow, Ghost. This is super cool and very impressive! You're a smart one!

"Bryce, it's your uncle Glenn. Come on, let's go. Make a call, have somebody make contact," said uncle Glenn David. "Whatever it is, we'll work through it."

Whatever it is?? I wonder what is meant by this?

There were other quotes similar in the very early broadcast of BL going missing. I'm just wondering if there was a issue that started all of this and if we knew what it was could it help solve this.

IMO

Nothing. Just a statement made in the event that Bryce is purposefully hiding out. Seems they are covering all bases and this is just one.

That is very interesting. It makes it sound like they/he thinks Bryce is hiding out of his own accord. NOT because of a head injury/amnesia and definitely not because of being held hostage. Because you couldn't very well tell someone to call or "come on" if either is the case.

Maybe or maybe they feel it is just one possibility. If Bryce has a head injury or had a nervous breakdown and is not in touch with reality, making any statement to him on camera would be useless right now. But if asked to make a statement I think one would be made to address the possibility he's voluntarily left. I don't think this family knows what happened to Bryce or why he's gone. They're just searching for answers.

Hello,

I’m new to this forum. I’ve been reading pretty much since the beginning of Bryce’s disappearance, but just recently registered to post. I am from Naperville living just a few blocks from where Bryce and his family lived. My son is friends with Bryce and texted me (he’s in school in Arizona now) as soon as he saw Karen’s (Bryce’s mom) post about Bryce missing. Brian (my son) is 2 years older so they didn’t see each other too much in school, but met thru a mutual friend and then Brian recruited Bryce to play on the baseball team he was on. I believe they also went to football summer camp together. They became friends and hung out together. There was a time I think Brian was at Bryce’s house more than his own!

I have had mixed feelings about all the possibilities of what happened to Bryce. But I keep coming back to one scenario….that Bryce planned to go missing. He hasn’t been found because he doesn’t want to be found. I hate to think that because it’s hard to believe that he would let his parents go thru this, but most teenagers go thru a rebellious period and you never know how that will play out. It was one of my son’s scenarios that he came up with as well. One of his questions to me was “If Bryce is hiding out, will he get in trouble for this?” He didn’t mean with his parents, he meant with LE because of all of the resources that are being devoted to the search. If Bryce is hiding out, that may be one of his fears.

His roommate made comments like “he’s trying to find himself right now”, “he doesn’t want to be found”, “not worried” and “having some issues right now”. Obviously, the roommate has had in depth conversations with Bryce on whatever turmoil was going on with him. He mentioned he felt a lot of pressure to get good grades, even though he always did and was having trouble finding a job. As we all know, teenage years are tough and some kids put more pressure on themselves than anyone else in their world does. Maybe he was feeling pressure from his parents….I don’t know, I can’t speak to that. I do know that his parents were at all of his baseball games cheering him on.

Now for some of the timeline items that don’t line up for me. I’m not from, nor have ever been to, California so I had to Google to come up with the approximate driving times from one location to another. Feel free to correct me if I’m way off.

1) From Chico (where he started his journey after visiting the g/f) to Laguna Niguel is approx 8 hours. Not an extremely long trip and probably could have been made in one shot, with a short rest period, for the average person. However, since we know Bryce was operating on no sleep, perhaps a little longer. But from Wed night to Friday 2:08 a.m. (last convo with Mom) seems a bit much (and he wasn’t even there yet)….seems like he was avoiding going home or thinking about how best to “disappear”.
2) 2:08 a.m. Friday – Talks to Mom, says the GPS indicates 3 hrs 25 mins to Laguna, was tired, going to pull over and sleep. We know he was already in Castaic as the camera captured him 2:09/2:10 a.m. Castaic to Laguna Niguel is approx 1-1/2 hrs….maybe longer in bad traffic, but how bad could traffic be at 2 a.m.? Did he deliberately mislead his mom on where he was? There was also an earlier phone call that Mom indicated she couldn’t get anything out of him. Being deliberately vague?
3) 4:20 a.m. – captured on camera again. Why circling around again? Where was he in between the two times he was captured on camera? Looking for the right place to “crash” the car, but not bad enough that he would be seriously injured. Didn’t the uncle who is out in Cali (retired LE) indicate that based on his analysis of the crash site, it appeared that he accelerated rather than brake?
4) If he didn’t want to be found, he would leave his cell phone so it couldn’t be used to locate him, like it was in Buttonwillow.
5) Where is the green Nike knapsack? Was it ever located? The duffel bag was unzipped…which may mean absolutely nothing. Or it might mean that he removed a few things that he might need. Another phone (pay as you go kind) that couldn’t be “pinged” to find him; some cash (could have borrowed from a friend, could have sold some video games or other belongings, etc); perhaps a change of clothes.
There are so many unanswered questions! What is the girlfriend saying about her conversation with him when he went there to supposedly break up? Was he trying to make a clean break if he knew he wasn’t going back…or at least anytime soon. Does he have any friends who are going to school somewhere in Cali that he could stay with until he figures things out? As difficult as it would be to imagine that he would put his family thru this, I hope this is the scenario. At least then we know/hope he is alive.

Side note – I pass Bryce’s old house every day to & from work. The house is the 2nd one in from the street I drive down so easily visible. Wondering if the new owners know Bryce’s family. There is a large orange ribbon tied around the mailbox. =)

Welcome! Yeah, the time discrepancies always bothered me too and (among other things) made me feel he may have been suffering from a mental issue and was disorientated during the whole drive.

The roommate SD has publicly said on social media that he made a promise/ keeping a secret for BL. At a time like this, this kid STILL has not spoken to LE or the family (that we know of). Give me a break.:banghead:

Hey, respectfully, I think we really need a link to these kinds of claims. This is how rumor can become "fact" quickly on these threads. I never heard one thing about this guy keeping a secret for Bryce. I think that's a stretch of what was reported.

They cannot fish when the lake is closed. But since he was cleared there's no point discussing.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Well a lake is not like a bank! If it's "closed" you can still walk right up to it and put a line in!! I've got a few friends who fish up there and they usually leave Orange County around 2:00 am to get there to fish super early. And they hang around drinking beer and stuff.

Am I reading and understanding this correctly that the the investigation is being handled by homicide!!???!

Totally common in missing person cases!

Just a note about distances and times around here.

Each and every one of those cities/areas I mentioned has traffic at all hours - not our version of rush hour traffic at that time, but definitely a lot of traffic to get through/around. An example of our rush hour traffic is when I lived in the Valley but worked in Downtown...13.7 miles from driveway to driveway, but I'd leave at 7:20 to be there by 9 am.

The drive from Castaic to where I am is about 45 minutes to an hour (the San Fernando Valley), and from my place to my sisters down in Long Beach is another oh, say hour.

Bryce, come home. Somehow, come home.

Best-
Herding Cats

Snipped for space. Do we know traffic conditions on that date at the time he called? Does Bryce's GPS account for traffic?

I think the abc article comments are fake. I could be wrong, but I just don't see it. dragracerz said before that it wasn't true when we asked. He said there was no way & he's had many girlfriends for years. He was a very social person with large circles of friends always. Friends "know". Family have "feelings". I don't see it being true for someone his age & life as we've learned about it. I could be wrong, who knows. But I have a strong feeling it's not true.

But if it is true, I'm glad he's okay & safe and hope he makes peace with his family & himself.

Having girlfriends may not prove much. Lots of gay people date the opposite sex early on in life. But the uncle said there were no such issues and even if there were, it would not be a problem in his family.

I believe him. I think a super close family like Bryce's seems to be would have had an inkling. And if they are not closed minded about such things, the overreaction of suddenly disappearing mid-trip to avoid a conversation he already set the stage for, makes no sense.

I agree with those who feel some crazy attention seeker may have taken a random comment - "Yeah, he's probably down in San Diego with a boyfriend" and ran with it, stirring trouble.

Plus, dramatically staging a crash and having someone pick him up in the middle of nowher seems far fetched to me.

I asked this many times and never got an answer so I will ask again. Were the keys still in the ignition or anywhere in the truck when found?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I dont think we know.

Here's a thought.... it was said early on that LE had access to Bryce's FB. If he disappeared on purpose and was with someone in SoCal as suggested by some, he would have likely logged on to his FB from this friends' phone or computer. Just to see what was posted there, or logged on to his email to read the PMs from FB w/o them showing as "read". LE would have known that, I'm sure. They can tell if anyone has logged in to an account & from where. So even more unlikely, IMO, that he ran off with someone. JMO.

Where did this troll post , link please?

I missed it

Hmm. I wonder who else has access to his Facebook page. LE does... where did they get his login info? Do his parents also have the login info? I'm not trying to even remotely implicate his parents in anything, I'm just thinking that if they too have the login info it could be showing activity even if it's not Bryce. He's young enough I can see them having access from when he was in high school.

Bryce's parents are monitoring his FB page. My son emailed Bryce thru FB the Saturday after his disappearance to see if perhaps Bryce was somewhere checking it. Early Sunday afternoon, it showed that the email had been read. My son emailed Bryce's mom and she said they picked it up.

Let me expand my previous comment. It was said LE has access to Bryce's, Mom's & the group page. Mom may be on Bryce's page, too. Regardless, I'm sure LE has monitored all logins to any of Bryce's FB, email, etc ACCTS & would know if someone else logged on in an unknown place. And I think if he intentionally disappeared with a friend, he would have logged in tosomething just to look, not realizing it was being watched.

Hoping to hear something from dragracerz soon....

Hoping for new leads and / or solid information today.

I suspect Dragracerz is exhausted and overwhelmed... so much information to field and so many platforms and people he is responding to. Hang in there, Dragracerz.

I think I have recovered from my melt down last night and am SO HAPPY to see that Bryce's mom was able to address the troll with the investigators.

LOTS of great input in the past page... hope to re-read everything during my break today.

<3

Ok, first off this is speculation and only an opinion.

If BL staged the accident and then disappeared because of sexuality issues.

First off, coming to the realization of ones homosexuality is not easy. It is a process and even in this day an age it is not easy for everyone. The family either does not know or is in denial. No one wants to be gay. It is something you have to learn to embrace and love about yourself. I have met guys that you would never know were gay. Bryce does not seem to be gay. Tall, in shape, likes football, ect., all the "normal" things. That can lead a family to believe in certain expectations and that could cause BL to have issues coming out or even excepting it himself.

So he couldn't deal and staged all this. It really is not that hard to believe this possibility. He could have cash and yes a second phone and had someone pick him up. While it is hard to imagine that anyone would do such a thing to their family, verses coming out, it could be easier for him than facing his family and those expectations they have for him.

If this is the case then all we can do is hope he will at some point come forward.

As for his uncle Glenn's statement. Journalist will do anything to hype their story for their career or the family truly wants to help BL and bring him home.

Just a quick update
NBC ran that the search for Bryce was over - NOT TRUE. A sheriff affiliated with the lake said the search at the lake was unofficially over and the media ran with it.
Bryce is still listed as a critical missing person and the search is still very active. LASD will be releasing a statement confirming this.

The interview with my brother was so badly butchered last night, making it look like the family thinks that Bryce might have intentionally ran away, this too is not true, Bryce has never ran away in the past, during my brothers interview , my brother threw those statements out there (in the 25 min interview) just in case he was to see, to contact family, that is not our belief .
If Bryce were to go on missing on purpose, I know 100% that he would have made contact with his parents either prior to or shortly (1-2 days) after, Bryce is very close with them.
summation:
No one in our family believes that Bryce may me "hiding out" on purpose

I haven't been on here strictly because I have been very busy working on other things for Bryce's case and today I will be contacting local as well as LA area media to set them straight (and possibly give them a piece of my mind)

Ok, first off this is speculation and only an opinion.

If BL staged the accident and then disappeared because of sexuality issues.

First off, coming to the realization of ones homosexuality is not easy. It is a process and even in this day an age it is not easy for everyone. The family either does not know or is in denial. No one wants to be gay. It is something you have to learn to embrace and love about yourself. I have met guys that you would never know were gay. Bryce does not seem to be gay. Tall, in shape, likes football, ect., all the "normal" things. That can lead a family to believe in certain expectations and that could cause BL to have issues coming out or even excepting it himself.

So he couldn't deal and staged all this. It really is not that hard to believe this possibility. He could have cash and yes a second phone and had someone pick him up. While it is hard to imagine that anyone would do such a thing to their family, verses coming out, it could be easier for him than facing his family and those expectations they have for him.

If this is the case then all we can do is hope he will at some point come forward.

As for his uncle Glenn's statement. Journalist will do anything to hype their story for their career or the family truly wants to help BL and bring him home.

Amen. ALL of it!

The gone to SD with a boyfriend sounds like a sarcastic comment relating back to Nicholas Francisco.

She just didn’t get it, imo.

I keep coming back to this post (quoted below). In my opinion it really would make sense that he was trying to drive around the cell tower.

Does anybody know if there are street lights here?

The accident happened while it was dark (very dark if no street lights) maybe he was looking to turn around & couldn't see the danger at the cell tower "road". His SUV headlights would have showed a road (from the overhead pictures) that possibly looked like it went around the cell tower to turn around.

That would also make sense of any possible acceleration marks. When he saw the road didn't go all the way around he either had to back up in the dark on the road around the tower, or drive around the tower a short distance on a non-paved area in his SUV.

I really think the car accident was an accident.

PHew!!! I got this whole message done, hit submit & got "thread closed." I was scared the whole thing had been shut down. Thankfully I C&P'd my message before figuring out what was going on!

Thought: Bryce was not trying to drive down Main Ramp Road going around the locked access gate... We've heard mention of a cell tower. I'm thinking he was actually driving around this cell tower (there is no cell tower by the MR Rd gate) & rolled down to MR Rd. Also the "gate" he would have driven around would actually be the guard rail. Thoughts?

I recall initial news reports saying he rolled onto MR Rd, but had forgotten about it until looking at maps again now. The Distance from the intersection of MR Rd & Lake Hughes to this cell tower is just .2 miles. 1.9 miles away from the body found.

A = Lake Hughes Rd / Main Ramp Rd
B = Cell Tower
C = Body
LH-MR-Cell-Body_zps10b212c7.png

Close up of relation between intersection & cell tower
Cell_MR_zps5ea35847.png

Satellite of Cell Tower area
CellTower_Sat_zps1fd2d787.png

Street View of Cell Tower
CellTower_street_zpsafb9d64e.png

Status
Not open for further replies.