CA CA - Bryce Laspisa, 19, Castaic, 30 Aug 2013 - #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed, I don't think he was a heavy user maybe it was recreational, and he planned on taking some for the long drive. When he reached the truck stop around the castaic area he was out. when he bought his drink he asked the cashier about scoring. Which sent him somewhere else to a " dealer" who he to avoid any questions about this person called a friend. Maybe they told him they'd meet him near where the vehicle was found. Maybe that's when something went wrong.

I'm just trying to exhaust this theory in my brain. I do agree i dont think he wasn't a heavy user. :seeya:

I understand your reasoning here, but as a mom...if my son was driving through a town where he knew no one and told me he was going to hang with friends later, that would not avoid questions from me. Instead it would be a red flag and I'd be asking him a ton of questions. I never understood that portion of the timeline for Bryce, unless maybe mom thought he was already in hometown by then, or back in Roseville? It just didn't make sense to me. Maybe dragracerz can elaborate for us?

If he communicated wih LE and stated he did not want to be found and wanted to be left alone, they would have to honor that if he could prove it was him. That guy who dated Olivia Newton John disappeared and then viaclawyers asked to be left alone.

My experience is they will then notify the person who filed missing persons report and tell them that they have been located but do not want their location disclosed. They would also close the missing persons report. Not sure if this is required by LE, but that's what they did in our case.

Random thoughts. (I do this a lot)

I'm going back and thinking. He bought a soda for $1.71. Take off .09 tax and you have $1.62. This tells me it was most likely a fountain drink (44 oz) rather than a can or bottle. So I wonder if the drink container was found. If not, he may have stopped somewhere to throw it away. I'm thinking of any video that might be tracked down.

I'm thinking that the duffel bag (as in the bag that was opened in the back) might have been one that had the tool he used to break the back window. Was this a tool bag he kept in the back of the car for emergencies? (We have one in all of our cars with an emergency tool-breaks glass and cuts seat belts, screwdriver/wrench set, emergency lights, duck tape, baling wire and a pair of panty hose-great replacement for broken alternator belts-don't ask me how I know this. In the front there is a pocket knife and flashlight). If it was an emergency bag, was anything missing from the bag? (The parents should find out)

If he drove to the crash area two times, it might be because the signage says that you must have a valid permit or be towed (at least it used to). He may have thought he couldn't park there (although I have a time or three, but not recently). It starts getting desolate past that road, so that would be the normal place to turn yourself around. He might have gone back to another area to sleep, but got rousted by someone to move his vehicle and went back towards the lake, Bryce could have stopped at the cell phone tower to sleep (there is ample room to park to the side of the fence), but because it was so hot, left the car running and/or didn't get it in "park" or set the emergency brake, he fell asleep and the car rolled down the hill. He woke up in time to grab the steering wheel and flip it over. I'm just seeing how it could actually get there by accident.

Did he have a phone charger? Or was his phone dead? That would be a reason to leave it behind. A lot of people don't drive with a wallet if they normally keep it in their back pocket, either. Leaving the laptop makes sense, as it had no useful purpose.

I have helped people who flipped their vehicle and had to kick out the back window. (3 kids and 2 adults) They hit a slick patch, went up about two feet on the side of a hill and because they turned the steering wheel too fast, flipped completely over. They were on autopilot, the kids just standing in the middle of the road when my friend and I arrived. The adults didn't even notice the kids were standing in the middle of the road. We put the kids in our car and wrapped them in blankets, and they just sat there staring until someone familiar (a parent in another car) finally came and got them. The two adults just kept pacing around, even though one had a broken arm. He wouldn't let me splint it, he wouldn't let me bandage his cuts, he wouldn't accept a blanket, he kept throwing it off. If Bryce crashed, broke the back window and got himself out, he would be disoriented, probably hurt. He might have paced for a while. If he could have seen lights, that would most likely be the direction he would go. Otherwise, he would head back the direction he came, if he knew where that was. Has anyone checked Castaic Lagoon? That is where the campgrounds are and he would have passed that on the way in. It was Labour day weekend. Even at 2:00am, there should have been cars around. If there was someone following him, they could have picked him up (that would not probably be good).
My bold. I have rolled a car and ended up upside-down, hanging by my seatbelt. :angel: And while I wasn't hurt at all, and did not hid my head, I argued with the cop that came about the direction I'd been driving, so much so, that I finally said to him "Fine. Arrest me. I was not going that way, and you'll never make me say I was." I'd been on a 2-lane highway, so it should've been obvious, and I was certain, but I was wrong. I was disoriented, and hyped up from adrenalin, I guess. Very confused. Thank God that officer understood, and had the patience to wait me out...eventually, I saw he was right. ("Look, lady, see this skid mark? Goes right to your car?")

Had I decided to take off before help arrived, though, I'd have gone the wrong way for sure.

Since Reddit is not an approved site, discussing the comments is off-limits.

I'm only caught up to page 10 on this thread, has the body found burned been ID'd yet? TIA

As a fellow Illinoisan, it's not hard for me to believe that he went down the ravine totally on accident.

He'd been driving a long distance, through territory he'd only been around for a year.

He's a young driver, he grew up in Illinois, driving on FLAT land, in the suburbs, where there are curbs, level ground, etc.

I was looking at the road he was on, and I can see how easy a 19 yr old driving a long distance recovering from taking a drug he wasn't used to (?), could veer off of it and have an accident.

The fact his car was located on video at two different times makes me wonder if he hadn't taken a wrong turn in going home? And wound up on the same road later that day?

OK ... this is not a pleasant thought ...

W/i the last couple of years, there was a perp who murdered and
stuffed the bodies into a void in the crotch of a remote tree.

Have trees near the crash site and in the area around Castaic Lake
been searched?

I know this goes against your gut instinct, dragracerz, and you're definitely more aware of the case than I am, but I have a gut instinct that he is in that lake. I really hope I am wrong about that.

Morgan Johnson was missing for about 2 years before he AND his car were found in a retention pond. They had even searched this pond before and missed THE WHOLE CAR. If you can miss a whole car in water, you could definitely miss a person.

I had a minor car accident where a girl changing lanes hit my car going about 45 miles an hour. I had my seat belt on and in my memory, I glided to a stop. I had no idea I had a concussion. I forgot to pick up my niece from daycare. I drove to a wedding the next day with my family, they said my driving was erratic (so they wouldn't let me drive), people at the wedding thought I was drunk (didnt have a drink), next day my speech was slightly slurred. Day 4-I am a real estate broker, I went to list a house and only took pictures of 1/2 of the rooms. The home owners questioned me. That is when I realized something was wrong.

I am sharing this to let you know I did not see anything wrong with my actions at the time. I thought everyone else was stupid and critical. I tried to keep up my normal routine (I guess) and failed miserably. This was 2 years ago. I am unable to recall about 4 months before and after the accident.

My point is Bryce could have a mostly normal outward appearance and could still be dazed and confused. What convinced me something was wrong and I needed medical attention was the other people around me telling me I was bizarre.

OK ... this is not a pleasant thought ...

W/i the last couple of years, there was a perp who murdered and
stuffed the bodies into a void in the crotch of a remote tree.

Have trees near the crash site and in the area around Castaic Lake
been searched?

If anyone is in contact with the SAR teams out there...one of the most common mistakes I have seen with SAR teams over the years is that they fail to LOOK UP. They were so focused on the ground that they did not think to look up into trees. The second was that they failed to look under low pines, in thickets etc where someone might crawl into.

Just an FYI.

I know this goes against your gut instinct, dragracerz, and you're definitely more aware of the case than I am, but I have a gut instinct that he is in that lake. I really hope I am wrong about that.

Morgan Johnson was missing for about 2 years before he AND his car were found in a retention pond. They had even searched this pond before and missed THE WHOLE CAR. If you can miss a whole car in water, you could definitely miss a person.

Wow Hannah, I've never seen anyone discuss Morgan Johnson. That was only about 25-30 miles away from me. He disappeared right before Lauren Spierer IIRC. I couldn't believe when I heard a couple months ago about him and his car being pulled from the retention pond...so sad :( I'm going to go check for a thread on him.

Anyways, I'm really hoping for some new developments! As we all are, especially dragracerz. I usually don't have high hopes in many (if any) of these cases, but for some reason...I really think Bryce is out there somewhere. While I do think the lake needs to be rechecked at least once, I still have a lot of faith! :please:

RSBM

Anyways, I'm really hoping for some new developments! As we all are, especially dragracerz. I usually don't have high hopes in many (if any) of these cases, but for some reason...I really think Bryce is out there somewhere. While I do think the lake needs to be rechecked at least once, I still have a lot of faith! :please:

BBM.

I'm with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members