CA CA - Bryce Laspisa, 19, Castaic, 30 Aug 2013 - #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Very possible, to me. Does not have to involve foul play.

Wondering what the one article linked earlier today meant, that said all of his clothes were in the car...does that include the shoes he was wearing etc.? Was anything not accounted for? Did he remove his clothing? Or do they mean he packed other clothes and those were found?

Early poster who was very familiar with the lake said no debris, is a mud bottom with some sand.

I found this scuba board several divers mentioned conditions of Castaic Lake
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-131758.html

Found this as well. You can see a little what its like diving in that lake. Dive team that trains in Castaic Lake.

http://youtu.be/F1A8b73x9Cw

One of the posters said this cut from the site.

Usually you aren't allowed to dive Castaic. We did it (I was with macabejc and Mr Carcharodon last summer as well) because we were part of the LA County ADP program, and had special permission.I have to echo what they said. There's isn't much to see. I do know that deep tech divers occasionally help the sheriff's dept pull drowning victims out of there because it gets to be several hundred feet deep. I grew up near a bunch of fresh water lakes in Michigan, and wanted to dive those as a kid. I didn't learn to dive until living here in SoCal, but I'm tempted to go back at some point. After the local experience I don't expect there to be anything to see though...just want to live out the childhood aspiration.

Wondering what the one article linked earlier today meant, that said all of his clothes were in the car...does that include the shoes he was wearing etc.? Was anything not accounted for? Did he remove his clothing? Or do they mean he packed other clothes and those were found?

More bothersome to me than the clothes is the fact that his wallet was in the car. Don't most men carry their wallet in their pocket? Why would he take out his wallet? jmo

More bothersome to me than the clothes is the fact that his wallet was in the car. Don't most men carry their wallet in their pocket? Why would he take out his wallet? jmo

Not sure about Bryce, but my husband always takes his out of his pocket on long drives. He say's he hates sitting on it that long.

I hope this is an acceptable question... assuming he hasn't been able to shave, how much facial hair might Bryce have now? I saw a kid/young adult with red hair riding his bike by my house earlier. I'm positive it wasn't Bryce, but I definitely did a double take. His facial hair made me think about how Bryce's appearance might have changed. I wonder if it'd be useful to add any photos to his missing poster, if the family has some photos with facial hair or could get some made with facial hair superimposed.

did the same thing today, kid probably thought I was .......?

He had an over night duffel bag with him, with clothes in it, otherwise he was dressed as described in the posters.

@labordayrn

I take my wallet out a lot when I drive

He had an over night duffel bag with him, with clothes in it, otherwise he was dressed as described in the posters.

@labordayrn

I take my wallet out a lot when I drive

I understand that, but when he went missing he wasn't driving. He had been seen by the roadside guy. If he left the car voluntarily I believe he would have at least gotten his wallet. jmo

I understand that, but when he went missing he wasn't driving. He had been seen by the roadside guy. If he left the car voluntarily I believe he would have at least gotten his wallet. jmo
If you take your wallet out and put it in a cup holder or on the passenger seat, then flip your car over, your wallet ends up somewhere unknown. In the dark, having flipped a car on it's side, he may not have been thinking about looking for his wallet. JMO.

This might sound extremely morbid and I'm sorry if this offends anyone. IF his body was in the lake and caught on something, wouldn't a body part or shoe surface after time? I live near the Oregon coast and hear of people finding a shoe with a foot in it or a hand washed up. Again, sorry if this is too graphic to post. Just thinking out loud I guess :/.

we may be talking about two different things here. The roadside guy? delivered gas to BL at a rest stop near Buttonwillow. BL may hace (we are not sure) left his vehicle after the accident on Lake Hughes.

Does that help???

did the same thing today, kid probably thought I was .......?

Oh I can relate... I think I probably completely freaked the kid that I saw out totally unintentionally. As soon as I made eye contact I knew it wasn't Bryce, but I can only imagine what my actions (stopping, staring) made the poor guy think.

It did remind me that maybe Bryce could be on a bike, another possible means of transportation.

Hello, fellow websleuthers! :) This is my first post to this thread, but I have been reading all your thoughtful posts and following the news reports about this very puzzling, troubling case.

Just kicking around thoughts in my head:

That BL packed a small amount of clothes plus his laptop makes it seem to me that he did, initially, intend for this to be a temporary road trip. If I am recalling it correctly, he told his roommate he was going to be back on Labor Day.

I'm wondering if he was suffering from depression, and that is what he needed to talk to his parents about. Perhaps the auto accident was truly an accident, but it was also the straw that broke the camel's back. Maybe he has been the kind of person who prides himself in being able to handle everything. A perfectionist who can't make mistakes?

He took his time coming down to Laguna Niguel, because he was wrestling with how to tell his parents what he was feeling. Then when he accidentally flipped the car, it was overwhelming and prompted his decision to just leave his old life behind, unable to face it all.

If he was not already suffering from depression, an interesting thing I have read is that suffering a traumatic brain injury can cause depression in a person. If BL hit his head as his car tumbled down the slope at Castaic, this could be a concern. I do wonder what kind of injuries he sustained in the accident.

This is such a perplexing case. Keeping this family in my thoughts.

Not sure about Bryce, but my husband always takes his out of his pocket on long drives. He say's he hates sitting on it that long.

Yep, my husband does as well.

One thing that occurred to me when someone mentioned about him needing a ID to check in somewhere; buy a ticket, etc. Would it be possible for him to have a fake ID? One with a different name than his real name? Seems they are pretty easy to get on a college campus. It doesn't make sense how he would have the fake ID on him and not in the wallet left behind, but I guess it is possible. If he were using the fake license to check in somewhere that could possibly explain how he has stayed unnoticed. Doubtful...but it just occurred to me that it was possible.

It was said by Bryce's Mom that the detectives said two separate search dogs followed his scent to the park entrance on the asphalt road.. Im wondering what is meant by the park entrance, doesn't seem that would be leaving the area if the park entrance is at the guard shack where you pay to go into the lake. I would continue to Have searchers look in the area around the lake.JMO

It was said by Bryce's Mom that the detectives said two separate search dogs followed his scent to the park entrance on the asphalt road.. Im wondering what is meant by the park entrance, doesn't seem that would be leaving the area if the park entrance is at the guard shack where you pay to go into the lake. I would continue to Have searchers look in the area around the lake.JMO
BBM. Good question.

Do you have a link to where she said this? Thanks!

Crazy. Shows how well the sonar works.

I hope Bryce isn't in the lake, but I really feel they should have given it more of a chance. Dog scents can be faulty. We have a poster here from the same area saying the dog scents for 2 of her missing loved ones was way off.

BBM. Again, it depends on the dog (air scent or ground scent) used.

Air Scent - Yup, yup George, he/she's in this general area or the wind is carrying the scent towards me...Oh boy....if you let me off leash I will try and get a piece of the subjects clothing and bring it back to you.

Ground scent - I'm on the exact trail and following this particular scent you gave me on those smelly cloths/shoes...I'm gona be real upset and whimper if I can't find him/her...and I will want a dog treat when I'm all done.

What about the initial scent that was traced to the edge of the lake?

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=news/local&id=9235339

I tried looking through it but couldn't find it, but somewhere on here I remember reading someone said the dogs tracked the scent to the water and then across the dam.

Ah, found it.

Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - CA CA - Bryce Laspisa, 19, Castaic, 30 Aug 2013 - #2

Yellow Camaro said:

"We were informed by somebody at the "search HQ" (Starbucks) in the morning that Bryce's scent had been found by dogs, starting at the east end of the dam, but disappearing at the west end of the dam... the west end does NOT seem like a place where one could/ would easily "catch a ride" (even while there during the daytime, over the course of three hours, we never saw a single vehicle or person in that area... to think that he happened across a passerby willing to give him a ride at that time of day is quite a remote idea. In addition, there are countless gates, fences, and "No Trespassing" signs.). It seems far more likely to me that either (A) he walked across the dam, found nowhere to go, so he returned (returning east) across the dam to his starting point, or (B) the scent track the dogs followed was in error. Dogs ARE fallible, and their handlers CAN misread their signs, too. "

I tried looking through it but couldn't find it, but somewhere on here I remember reading someone said the dogs tracked the scent to the water and then across the dam.

I remember that too. I think that dragracerz explained it that way.

I'm still really confused about the dog scents though. How many times did they do the scent tracing? During these times -- Did they trace him to the edge of the lake, to the water's edge and across the dam, or to the park's entrance? Did the scent trails conflict with each other?

I remember that too. I think that dragracerz explained it that way.

I'm still really confused about the dog scents though. How many times did they do the scent tracing? During these times -- Did they trace him to the edge of the lake, to the water's edge and across the dam, or to the park's entrance? Did the scent trails conflict with each other?

The human scent the dogs follow can be contaminated or even rendered useless by auto exhaust, other strong scents, rain, wind, other animals and on occasion they can imprint on another SAR person because they handled the scent article by accident in gathering it and left their scent on it. Not common...but it does happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alicat3