CA CA - Bryce Laspisa, 19, Castaic, 30 Aug 2013 - #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good afternoon, all.

From this CBS-LA article (sorry if it's a repeat, I hadn't seen it before):

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2013/09/18/parents-suspend-search-for-missing-oc-teen/

So heartbreaking, listening to Karen Laspisa speak.

Have there been any newer sightings reported?

"We are just afraid he's not thinking right."

"His family says he has no history of severe emotional issues but was going through a break up."

"Breaking up with his girlfriend, we knew something was going on because he just started school, only two days into it, and now something happened to make him want to change his course."

"The police have a suspicion that Bryce is still alive...."

BBM
Interesting interview

Unfortunately, people often use the term "bloodhound" for a k9 scent tracking dog. Those terms are not interchangeable, any more than a cadaver dog is interchangeable with a tracking dog. Without knowing the specific breed and type of search dog, it's all relative to the type and breed of dog used, as well as the handler. The dog in this link is NOT a "bloodhound", but a different breed (and maybe very good, but in my experience, an actual Bloodhound trained for this is better).https://twitter.com/ParksLASD/status/374992468074192896

I thought of that as a possible generic use, but dragracerz specifically says "another dog search with bloodhounds", so to me that indicates it was bloodhounds or he would have said "another bloodhound search" or something. Who knows. Hopefully he'll clarify if it wasn't bloodhounds.

"We are just afraid he's not thinking right."

"His family says he has no history of severe emotional issues but was going through a break up."

"Breaking up with his girlfriend, we knew something was going on because he just started school, only two days into it, and now something happened to make him want to change his course."

"The police have a suspicion that Bryce is still alive...."

BBM
Interesting interview

RBM

I am confused …

I thought Bruce actually did not break up with his girl friend???

In the beginning his mom said he did not break up with his girl friend, now it looks like they are saying he did break up??

Very confusing.

Dragracerz: Can you clarify this? Did Bryce's girl friend say he did break up with her?

Thanks so much for being here for Bryce. I check this thread several times per day. It is so sad to see his mother upset. Wish I could give her a hug in person.

Having a 19 year old college son gives me much compassion for this family. I am praying for Bryce's safe return. We must continue to have hope.

Do we know where the camera was that caught sight of Bryce's car driving by those two times before the accident? Somewhere on Lake Hughes Road? I was just thinking how if it was, it obviously didn't catch sight of Bryce out of his car, walking, after the accident, or we would have heard about it.

I guess it would depend on how the camera is facing to know if that means much, though. I thought that if it was in a place that captures even people walking by, we could eliminate where BL did not walk, at least.

Do we know where the camera was that caught sight of Bryce's car driving by those two times before the accident? Somewhere on Lake Hughes Road? I was just thinking how if it was, it obviously didn't catch sight of Bryce out of his car, walking, after the accident, or we would have heard about it.

I guess it would depend on how the camera is facing to know if that means much, though. I thought that if it was in a place that captures even people walking by, we could eliminate where BL did not walk, at least.

At a 7-11 on the corner of Lake Hughes Rd and Castaic Road.

Ok, lets clear some things up here !

LE stated that their findings were that Bryce left the Castaic park area BECAUSE the bloodhounds followed his scent leading out of the park. Not too difficult to understand that.

Bryce has NOT been found in any rehab or institution or anywhere else "hiding out" or NOT wanting to be found. If LE knew where he was, we would know he was safe
I need the verified attorney following this case on here to chime in, we were told that because Bryce is still listed as Critical Missing Person, if he were to be found, his parents would be notified - EVEN IF HE DIDNT WANT TO BE FOUND.

As stated by Caron, it was Vyvanse not Adderall, I thought Vyvanse was generic for Adderall, it is the same type of medication

I don't know why it is taking so long for forensics to process the laptop or cell phone, I am not a techno geek but think that it should take no more than a couple of days to process these.

Summary:
LE states that the case / search is active. Their search of Castaic lake is pretty much complete but are leaving that door open in case something in the laptop / phone would lead them to believe that divers need to go back to the water or dogs/searchers need to canvass the grounds.
The family is still hopeful that he is alive, whether injured, confused, embarrassed or as some of you speculate "hiding out". Whatever the case may be, we want to find him and will do whatever it takes to do so.

Although it is now day 19, and I am understanding that if he were to be walking around "confused" that someone would have seen him, I still think that he might have been taken in by someone who gave him food/shelter and then he left on his own or maybe (because he know no better) is still there. I CANNOT believe that there are still so many people in the Castaic area that still never heard of Bryce with all the activity there, so I can imagine that it is less known in other areas.

Friday is a big truck turnaround in that area and it will be hit hard by volunteers on Friday to see if maybe someone picked him up shortly after the crash

BBM.

Sorry for not answering right away. i was in court all day yesterday.

This is what I think: There is a HIPPAA exception in the federal law for missing person's cases. It is that if someone is missing, rehabs and hospitals are allowed to disclose certain information to LE so that they can locate the missing person:
The Privacy Rule is balanced to protect an individual’s privacy while allowing important law enforcement functions to continue. The Rule permits covered entities to disclose protected health information (PHI) to law enforcement officials, without the individual’s written authorization, under specific circumstances summarized below.

To respond to a request for PHI for purposes of identifying or locating a suspect, fugitive, material witness or missing person; but the covered entity must limit disclosures
of PHI to name and address, date and place of birth, social security number, ABO blood type and rh factor, type of injury, date and time of treatment, date and time of death, and a description of distinguishing physical characteristics. Other information related to the individual’s DNA, dental records, body fluid or tissue typing, samples, or analysis cannot be disclosed under this provision, but may be disclosed in response to a court order, warrant, or written administrative request (45 CFR 164.512(f)(2)). http://www.hhs.gov/hipaafaq/permitted/law/505.html
But understand that they would give that information to LE, not Bryce's family or parents. Also, my understanding is that they are allowed, but not compelled, in most cases, to give such info. But my firm belief is there is no such organization that would withhold a missing person's whereabouts from LE during an active search for the person.

My heart literally breaks for his family. Í lost my brother in Iraq so I know the pain of losing someone and watch daily as my parent's hearts break over the loss. Even living through that and having daily reminders of what we've lost I can't imagine the pain they must have not knowing where he is. It has to be agony.

With that said, I pray for their sake that he hasn't gone missing intentionally. Taking a few days to sort out some personal issue is one thing but to be gone this long is just cruel to his loved ones. From what I've read, it seems like he was genuinely close to his parents and I can't imagine what would keep him away this long, unless it is against his will.

I live a few towns away from Naperville and I'm keeping my eyes open in case made it back here somehow.

MomTo2, (((hugs))). I cannot imagine losing one of my brothers.

Long time follower new member and big big fan and so much admiration.. Sorry to ask.. in the middle of a huge bus thing do not have access.. can someone sum up why family calling off search etc.. So So appreciated it.. Sorry to ask

WELCOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Welcome! Law Enforcement has called off the search of the Castaic Lake area as thoroughly searched. Family is still searching and LE are still on it as a live case.
Interesting article today.Authorities find 6 bodies in submerged cars in Oklahoma.
online about 2 cars being pulled out of a lake with bodies in them after decades underwater. Two separate missing person cases solved 40-50 years late. Divers with sonar happened upon them while training. Very sad that families didn't know for decades what had happened. Don't let this be the case here.

Hey Kev!! We must have posted at the same time. I was just going to search for the article because my link didn't work. Thanks for posting it saved me a search.

But in that case, the bodies were held down by a car.

Since the lake is deep, I think it's possible that he could have gotten caught in debris on the way down, and now this is weighing down his body and keeping it from surfacing. JMO

Please see below:

Early poster who was very familiar with the lake said no debris, is a mud bottom with some sand.

I found this scuba board several divers mentioned conditions of Castaic Lake
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-131758.html

Found this as well. You can see a little what its like diving in that lake. Dive team that trains in Castaic Lake.

http://youtu.be/F1A8b73x9Cw

One of the posters said this cut from the site.

Usually you aren't allowed to dive Castaic. We did it (I was with macabejc and Mr Carcharodon last summer as well) because we were part of the LA County ADP program, and had special permission.I have to echo what they said. There's isn't much to see. I do know that deep tech divers occasionally help the sheriff's dept pull drowning victims out of there because it gets to be several hundred feet deep. I grew up near a bunch of fresh water lakes in Michigan, and wanted to dive those as a kid. I didn't learn to dive until living here in SoCal, but I'm tempted to go back at some point. After the local experience I don't expect there to be anything to see though...just want to live out the childhood aspiration.

Thanks for this. You know this is really a man made lake in a very desert area. The video you posted shows high visibility in that lake and really there's nothing to snag on at the bottom and no trees and virtually no brush in the water, as I said before. It's not the bayou. Which is why I highly doubt he's in the lake.

Also, I know some have pointed out cases where bodies are found later in areas that had been searched. And that is clearly a possibility. No doubt. However, this is a sparse desert area, even more desert-like than the area close to where you live, Whiteorchid, where the teens went missing. Since it's not a natural body of water and it;s in an even more desert-like area, there is far less dense brush. Here's a video that shows how spare it is there: Castiac Lake Hike on 7-5-12 - YouTube

It just wouldn't be easy for a body to remain hidden in the area. It would be easy to spot someone with red hair in the brush from helicopter and even if he was hiding, if he remained there and died, to spot vultures and follow them to where a body may be.

I realize I might be completely wrong but I no longer get the sense Bryce is there. Maybe that's just my hope!!!

I would still like to know what specific location is described as "leading away from the park" that the dogs tracked. I think this would help a lot.

dragracerz - aside from length of time, is the belief that Bryce left the Castaic Rec area based solely on the dog trackings or is there additional info to support this stance by LE?

My feeling is that the additional information would be the lack of any trace of Bryce in the park - such as no dogs, tracking or cadaver, found him, no helicopters or search teams, etc. I mean, compared with where Kyron Horman went missing, for example, this is a very sparse area that is much easier to search, IMO.

RBM

I am confused …

In the beginning his mom said he did not break up with his girl friend, now it looks like they are saying he did break up??

Very confusing.

Dragracerz: Can you clarify this? Did Bryce's girl friend say he did break up with her?

Thanks so much for being here for Bryce. I check this thread several times per day. It is so sad to see his mother upset. Wish I could give her a hug in person.

Having a 19 year old college son gives me much compassion for this family. I am praying for Bryce's safe return. We must continue to have hope.

I get the sense that they have gathered more information since the early stages of the search and know more now.

That's a great question. Where's yellowcamaro?

My understanding is that the camera focuses on the license plate only

Oh, thank you, ItsACarat. Interesting. Ah, I found the post where dragracerz said (post #419) "I know there was a tape from a 7-11 Wherever the tape was from it only shows cars going in - not out"

If the security camera only shows the half of the road for traffic going towards the direction of the lake, I guess it is possible BL walked the opposite side of the road and would have been undetected, then?

The camera sightings were something like over 2 hours apart, weren't they? Hard to figure out what kind of route he was driving, and why. Why so long, if he was wanting to sleep. Odd...but then, so are many things about this case, isn't there.

I would think that Bryce's parents would have asked KS about the breakup when they first found out Bryce was missing. Several articles mentioned that they have been in contact throughout the past several weeks. I don't think those details would be new to his parents at this point.

I would think that Bryce's parents would have asked KS about the breakup when they first found out Bryce was missing. Several articles mentioned that they have been in contact throughout the past several weeks. I don't think those details would be new to his parents at this point.

Jumping off ...

Re: no break-up / break-up

The only thing that I can think of is that there might have been something of a personal nature that KS told LE but didn't divulge to the parents the first go round and perhaps LE just filled the parents in about it at this weeks meeting? So, as a result, that could explain why now the parents believe there was a break-up. Just my speculation.

Jumping off ...

Re: no break-up / break-up

The only thing that I can think of is that there might have been something of a personal nature that KS told LE but didn't divulge to the parents the first go round and perhaps LE just filled the parents in about it at this weeks meeting? So, as a result, that could explain why now the parents believe there was a break-up. Just my speculation.

I agree. I also think it might've been one of those things where they sorta broke up but sorta didn't. (i.e. let's give each other a little space and see what happens). It happens at every age, but especially at that age I could imagine that scenario. At least in my experience, I had so many friends "break up" with and then get back together with boyfriends/girlfriends, all throughout their late teens and 20s. Didn't really happen to me, but it did to many. I wish I'd learned the lesson sooner that while you can commiserate with the "breaker-upper," don't say anything bad or even agree with anything bad about the ex, because next week or next month, they might well be back together. I'm thinking it's also possible Bryce had been struggling with the decision for quite awhile before he actually went and talked to her. All IMOO.

I live in Castaic so I've been following Bryce's story all along. I have spent a lot of time reading the posts on this thread and I'm very impressed with the sleuthing done here. I wanted to reassure people that although the "official" search around the lake may have been called off, I drive at least 20 miles in the morning looking for Bryce and when my husband gets home from work, we search by car and on foot for another couple hours. We have taken our 4WD onto dirt roads and sometimes search the same areas in case Bryce is wandering. I see familiar cars each day, so I suspect we're not the only ones doing this. I know LE has indicated that he's not around here anymore, but it certainly can't hurt to keep looking in his most likely last known area until he's found.

I don't feel enough information is available for me to formulate even a speculative theory, so I won't, but I do feel Bryce is alive somewhere. That said, he could quite possibly be reading this thread and I think we should consider our words carefully. It might be harmful if Bryce were to read that he must have felt like a loser when he crashed his car and that that could have been the last straw, for instance. To Bryce, that might imply that he should feel like one, when of course, we all know that accidents occur on a pretty regular basis. There were some other posts that I felt were a bit harsh and I'm happy to see that they've been removed. JMOO (-:

I live in Castaic so I've been following Bryce's story all along. I have spent a lot of time reading the posts on this thread and I'm very impressed with the sleuthing done here. I wanted to reassure people that although the "official" search around the lake may have been called off, I drive at least 20 miles in the morning looking for Bryce and when my husband gets home from work, we search by car and on foot for another couple hours. We have taken our 4WD onto dirt roads and sometimes search the same areas in case Bryce is wandering. I see familiar cars each day, so I suspect we're not the only ones doing this. I know LE has indicated that he's not around here anymore, but it certainly can't hurt to keep looking in his most likely last known area until he's found.

I don't feel enough information is available for me to formulate even a speculative theory, so I won't, but I do feel Bryce is alive somewhere. That said, he could quite possibly be reading this thread and I think we should consider our words carefully. It might be harmful if Bryce were to read that he must have felt like a loser when he crashed his car and that that could have been the last straw, for instance. To Bryce, that might imply that he should feel like one, when of course, we all know that accidents occur on a pretty regular basis. There were some other posts that I felt were a bit harsh and I'm happy to see that they've been removed. JMOO (-:

Thank you for going out and looking for Bryce. If I lived closer, I'd be out there as well. Don't give up. If he's not in Castaic, he's somewhere and he needs to be found. :hug:

Wow!!! Another: WELCOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My hope is that like you all, he is alive. And if by chance he is reading here, I want him to know that life is hard and we all have struggled and that it's ok. The best thing about life is that it changes constantly. And it does get better.

Please come home Bryce!!!!

I am still optimistic and hopeful even though I myself have ran out of ideas and theories.

My hope is that like you all, he is alive. And if by chance he is reading here, I want him to know that life is hard and we all have struggled and that it's ok. The best thing about life is that it changes constantly. And it does get better.

Please come home Bryce!!!!

I am still optimistic and hopeful even though I myself have ran out of ideas and theories.

Ah, thanks for posting. This is just what I tell my kids all the time …

something bad happens, life throws us some challenges, changes have to be made, it is a rough road, most people do not like change to begin with

BUT

once we conquer the situation, accept it, overcome the turmoil

THE BEST PART

comes shining through, our new path is clearly right in front of us, we have to get through the bad times to make room for the good times that lie ahead waiting. And the good times are in the future for each and every person if we make the right decisions.

Bryce, if you are reading here, please pick up the phone or send a post card or letter to your mom and dad. Please let them know you are okay and will be in touch when you can. They need to know you are alive. They need to see your writing in a letter or short note, see you in person, something. Nothing in this whole wide world is too great to overcome. You have the support of your loved ones.

Praying for Bryce and his family.

Hoping to hear some good news any minute.

:praying:

I just thought of something. My husband was in a serious car collision this week that required him to call 9-1-1 from his cell phone. He told me it was answered by CHP. I just suggested to Bryce's mom via FB that maybe she should go to the Valencia CHP office and see if any strange calls came in that night that were dispatched to CHP not police that maybe they didn't realize were associated with each other at the time. Like maybe someone could have sighted someone acting strange or walking on the freeway, who knows.

What do you guys think?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Just to clarify the break-up KS told me herself on 8/31 that BL broke up with her and she took his keys. Not sure why or what the issue is or why it needs clarifying.

RBM

I am confused …

Very confusing.

Just to clarify the break-up KS told me herself on 8/31 that BL broke up with her and she took his keys. Not sure why or what the issue is or why it needs clarifying.

Caron, thanks for clarifying. Just curious, not that it's really our business, but did she have any idea that this was coming or was this completely out of left field? I think we're all just trying to figure out his last interactions before he left town. I completely understand if this needs to be kept private ;).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
warsovika