CA CA - Bryce Laspisa, 19, Castaic, 30 Aug 2013 - #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
What IF, Bryce was waiting in Buttonwillow for 10 hours or more for someone to catch up to him, someone to meet him in Castaic, a pre-planned meeting??? And while he was in Buttonwillow, he didn't use his cell phone to make contact, but used a pay phone at the rest area, and made a collect call? Then there wouldn't be a record of it on Bryce's cell bill that he knew his parents would see??

What if in his earlier stop, when it took him 8 hours to get from Chico to Buttonwillow, he made a stop and a phone call then?? And that two hours between the two camera sightings of him in the SUV? He could have driven in to see where he wanted to ditch the SUV, then when his ride got there, he went back and did it. Then walked out to his ride. Something to think about. If he wanted to disappear, this is a good way to do it.

To be fair, sometimes it smells like oil drilling + cow poop. It does have a range of scents... :) The only reason I've been there is for my husband's racing because there's a fairly popular road course track there. It's probably in my top 5 of least favorite places to go, though.

I can imagine stopping there for gas, a soda, or whatever, but I can't imagine just "hanging out" unless you have a reason to. Wish we knew more about why he went there or what happened (or didn't happen) there.

Knowing that his uncle likes racing (ie dragracerz) --- is there any possibility he was in Buttonwillow for the race track? I checked its website and the calendar is vague - just says Open test? I know his car was at the rest stop most of the time (9am-noon) but maybe just maybe he went over there to check it out?

Most people that voluntarily go missing, and show up later are never charged because they didn't commit any crime. Whether they just walked away from their current life, or whether mentally they break down and can't cope, or have some other mental problem going on. People are just happy they are FOUND! Countless cases just like that here. No crime, no charges!!!

Bryce, if you can read this, you're not in trouble for any searches! Just please call a family member, even if not your parents, an aunt, uncle, cousin, someone close and let them know it's you, and that you're OK. You don't have to tell them where you are or anything else. They'll know you're voice. Prayers continue for your safe return, or for your safety wherever you are.

RSBM

Oh, I definitely agree. Everyone would just be thrilled he was found and alive! Including me, even though I don't personally know him. I guess my concern was more that he might be afraid (or in the words of his parents, embarrassed) to come forward if he was hiding intentionally. But I agree that everyone would be very happy if he were to step out of hiding, or if he were located.

Knowing that his uncle likes racing (ie dragracerz) --- is there any possibility he was in Buttonwillow for the race track? I checked its website and the calendar is vague - just says Open test? I know his car was at the rest stop most of the time (9am-noon) but maybe just maybe he went over there to check it out?

I thought about that too. I don't think there was any big event going on when he went missing, but he might've known the town because of the track. It's the only reason I'd go there.

"Open test" likely means basically if you pay x-amount you can come run your car all you want (possibly within certain groups or time frames). Most of the time spectators don't have to pay on those days. Actually I think Buttonwillow is one of the very few tracks I didn't even have to pay to ride as a passenger in what they call "club racing" for NASA (one of the grassroots type racing groups). He probably could've gotten in for free and hung out with people, probably could even get food/water/shelter for a night or two if that's where he went at some point.

It's very close to the freeway/I5. I can see it being a big draw for him, but I have such a hard time thinking he'd call his parents about anything and everything but not call them saying "I'm checking out this racetrack."

Naperville Central grad's family still hoping for his return

When Karen Laspisa heard the doorbell ring at 8 a.m. on a recent morning, she jumped out of bed expecting to see her son Bryce.

He had just gone off to college in Northern California for his sophomore year, and this was his first time driving home on his own. But when Laspisa opened the door, she found a California Highway Patrol officer on the porch of her Laguna Niguel home.

Someone had found Bryce's tan 2003 Toyota Highlander rolled off an access road to the main launch ramp at Castaic Lake, the officer said. The rear windshield was broken out and Bryce's wallet, phone, laptop and other belongings were still there. Only, no Bryce.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...hopes-for-his-return-20130921,0,2102617.story

Not that it matters, but wonder why, if Bryce was simply picking up credits before starting at a four-year school, (as per above link) he chose to go so far from his parents new home.

Not that it matters, but wonder why, if Bryce was simply picking up credits before starting at a four-year school, (as per above link) he chose to go so far from his parents new home.

Good question!

And, why Sierra College? What drew him to that particular college?

If I understand the timeline, sounds like the family moved to CA around the time when, or shortly before, BL started college.
"... The family moved to Orange County from Illinois in August 2012. ..."
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...hopes-for-his-return-20130921,0,2102617.story
Does Sierra require an application and acceptance procedure or just show up, sign up for classes, pay and you're in? TIA

Good question!

And, why Sierra College? What drew him to that particular college?

If I understand the timeline, sounds like the family moved to CA around the time when, or shortly before, BL started college.
"... The family moved to Orange County from Illinois in August 2012. ..."
Does Sierra require an application and acceptance procedure or just show up, sign up for classes, pay and you're in? TIA

Just checked their website...they do require an application and transfer of transcripts. Probably not too stringent, however, similar to the local community college my son went to before moving on to University of AZ.

I remember asking my son back when he first heard where Bryce was going the same question...why so far for a community college? He didn't know and didn't ask. My assumption would be to get away from the watchful eyes of his parents (not unlike many teenagers!). I would imagine there was a grade point average he had to maintain or he would be going back home. That's probably why we heard the statement that he was feeling the pressure of getting good grades. We did the same thing with our son. Before a huge investment in an out of state tuition at a 4 year university was made, my son needed to prove he could stay focused on his studies enough to get good grades. The weekly allowance Bryce received also showed they were trying to give him some freedom but also maintain some sort of rein on his behavior. Just my two cents....

Just checked their website...they do require an application and transfer of transcripts. Probably not too stringent, however, similar to the local community college my son went to before moving on to University of AZ.

I remember asking my son back when he first heard where Bryce was going the same question...why so far for a community college? He didn't know and didn't ask. My assumption would be to get away from the watchful eyes of his parents (not unlike many teenagers!). I would imagine there was a grade point average he had to maintain or he would be going back home. That's probably why we heard the statement that he was feeling the pressure of getting good grades. We did the same thing with our son. Before a huge investment in an out of state tuition at a 4 year university was made, my son needed to prove he could stay focused on his studies enough to get good grades. The weekly allowance Bryce received also showed they were trying to give him some freedom but also maintain some sort of reign on his behavior. Just my two cents....

Thank you!

Did the family move to CA because BL had researched and planned on attending Sierra or BL discovered and chose Sierra after family moved to CA? TIA

Thank you!

Did the family move to CA because BL had researched and planned on attending Sierra or BL discovered and chose Sierra after family moved to CA? TIA

I'm not a registered insider, so I think I need to watch what I post here. But, I think what I can say is that Bryce did not research Sierra first and then the family moved there. That would be a pretty big move just for your child to go to a community college. =)

Both of his parents were fortunate enough to retire early and it was a planned move to Cali. But I think Bryce staying in Naperville and going to school was not a choice for him.

I'm not a registered insider, so I think I need to watch what I post here. But, I think what I can say is that Bryce did not research Sierra first and then the family moved there. That would be a pretty big move just for your child to go to a community college. =)

Both of his parents were fortunate enough to retire early and it was a planned move to Cali. But I think Bryce staying in Naperville and going to school was not a choice for him.

So he may have been required to choose an in-state (CA) college and he chose Sierra, a community college almost a 7 hour drive away from parents' new home. Interesting - just for insight into dynamics between son and parents.

Did he have friends or relatives that lived in the Sierra College area prior to attending school there?

ETA: Did Sierra offer a course of study that was specific to his area of interest?

So he may have been required to choose an in-state (CA) college and he chose Sierra, a community college almost a 7 hour drive away from parents' new home. Interesting - just for insight into dynamics between son and parents.

Did he have friends or relatives that lived in the Sierra College area prior to attending school there?[/QUOTE

BBM Not that I'm aware of.

New update on FB! Possible sighting 5 days old :banghead:

FIND BRYCE LASPISA

11 minutes ago.

ATTENTION: People in Northern California, Oregon, Nevada, Idaho, Utah and Wyoming. I just learned of a possible sighting (5 days old) in Port Orford, OR.
On Sept. 17 a person fitting Bryce's description was seen in Port Orford OR. Local Sheriff was notified but unable to find him. If it is Bryce, he said he was lost. Being north of I-80 and west of I-5 this makes sense. He may try to go south on I-5 or east on I-80.
Anyone in these areas, please post flyers.
Thank you
Brian

New update on FB! Possible sighting 5 days old :banghead:

FIND BRYCE LASPISA

11 minutes ago.

ATTENTION: People in Northern California, Oregon, Nevada, Idaho, Utah and Wyoming. I just learned of a possible sighting (5 days old) in Port Orford, OR.
On Sept. 17 a person fitting Bryce's description was seen in Port Orford OR. Local Sheriff was notified but unable to find him. If it is Bryce, he said he was lost. Being north of I-80 and west of I-5 this makes sense. He may try to go south on I-5 or east on I-80.
Anyone in these areas, please post flyers.
Thank you
Brian

This just throws more questions into the mix IMO. If he spoke to someone and stated he was lost the first question I would ask is "where are you trying to go?" Someone in the right frame of mind would answer a town or specific location. If he answered he didn't know...that might alert the person he was speaking with to contact the local Sheriff and report a confused person in the area. Hopefully we will get more answers from dragracezr about this sighting.

Was BL possibly reverting to a previously experienced, unacceptable behavior for which there would be known consequences imposed by his parents if known to them? TIA

Was the move from IL to CA in part to get BL away from some negative influence/s there? TIA

Was BL possibly reverting to a previously experienced, unacceptable behavior for which there would be known consequences imposed by his parents if known to them? TIA

Was the move from IL to CA in part to get BL away from some negative influence/s there? TIA

That was my understanding.

That was my understanding.

Trying to think like a 19yr old here. If my parents were calling and checking up on me all the time, had moneys on a restriction, and moved half way across the country to get me away from my friends, I think I would be acting out too. Partying above and beyond and taking off, yea, sure.

So I think this is a good time for all of us to put our heads together and do a reality check. I'm starting here with what dragracerz told us in this update.

I think we should rule out things not read into anything like hearsay.

bloodhounds followed his scent leading out of the park From what I'm seeing I don't think he is in the lake, the park, or in the town of Castaic. If he was I think he would have been found or seen by now.

I need the verified attorney following this case on here to chime in
What? Why? No offense drag but that sounds very leading, like you want info or clues? Not sure what is needed in "chime in".

someone who gave him food/shelter Back to he has not been seen or found or body found. He may have planned for someone to pick him up or he hitched out of the area and is hiding with someone.

So I don't think he is in the area and he must have help or shelter of some kind.

Anything else we can rule out????

Snipped by me for space.

With respect, every single thing we know about this case is hearsay. Nothing can be ruled out really, at this point. We can't say, "well we don't know and I don't think it matters so we are ruling this one out."

As for the verified attorney comment, he wasn't looking for a clue. He was trying to confirm that the family would be notified by a hospital or rehab if Bryce was there because of his status as critical missing.

Yes, you are correct. My son asked if Bryce was intentionally hiding out if he would be "in trouble". I don't really know the answer to that. The only story I can remember is that woman who got cold feet right before her wedding, ran off and claimed that she had been kidnapped. She was ordered to pay restitution for all of the resources that were expended in the search for her.

A nineteen-year could be held responsible for charges incurred in a search, seeing how he is certainly old enough to be charged with all major crimes. A person is allowed to go missing, but it becomes a different story once they know they have been reported missing and that public dollars are being spent to find them.

Guys, Bryce would face ZERO repercussions criminally or civilly if he was found having been voluntarily missing, whether he knew about the search or not. Zero.

Th runaway bride lied to police and that's why she was forced to pay restitution.

Now I feel crazy. I thought he went up There because the girl he liked was going to school up there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cluciano63 View Post
Now I feel crazy. I thought he went up There because the girl he liked was going to school up there?

Did they not meet at Sierra?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cluciano63 View Post

Did they not meet at Sierra?

That is what I thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members