CA CA - Bryce Laspisa, 19, Castaic, 30 Aug 2013 - #5

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got back from an I5 run and haven't caught up yet, but I wanted to share what I found out on the drive. I think I found out where the missing time went for Bryce between Buttonwillow and Castaic. There is some major road work going on on the Grapevine. Normally Grapevine hill has 4 lannes going north and 4 going south. They have cut north down to 3 lanes, and commandeered the 4th lane for southbound traffic. Be cause there is a center divide with a hill between north and southbound lanes, the one lane tha is usually north, but is now going south is a single lane with no way to pass anyone. If you get in this lane going south, it is smooth sailing as long as no one breaks down. HOWEVER, if you end up in one of the two right southbound lanes, both of those lanes eventually merge, so about a half mile down from where the single southbound lane and the two southbound lanes split off, you end up in 1-2 mile an hour traffic until you pass where those two lanes merge. I went through there at 9:00 pm last night, and was stuck going 1 1/2 to 2 miles per hour for about a mile and a half (you do the math). Yep, I lost over an hour trying to get 1 1/2 miles (while watching the single lane up above me zooming through like nobody's business. Sigh...) Behind me, a truck had broken down and caused an even larger back up behind where I was.

There was no warning that I could see (but it could have been blocked by the trucks) that told me the lanes were splitting off, so when it happened ( I was in the middle lane) I just stayed where I was at. It looked like a freeway detour, but beyond that, back in August The southbound I-5 Frazier Mountain Park Road on-ramp was CLOSED through August 29, 2013 (And it was still closed when I went through.) That means that if Bryce had gotten off at Frazier park at the top of Grapevine hill, he'd have had to detour around to get back on the freeway. That would explain the detouring off the freeway.

This does explain the "detour" comment from Bryce to mom! Great observation. I went through the same on my drive through in Mid-August. I had totally forgotten about the construction. If only there was as clear an explanation for the lost time *in* Buttonwillow...

That would be impossible to do. That road is lake Hughes road and is a main road that leads to Antelope Valley. As you drive up the hill on Lake Hughes road there is a turn off to get to the small access road that is locked at night that leads to the launch ramp. There is noway to shut down Lake Hughes rd. I don't think the Google pics and maps really portray the area the right way. I feel that they are doing a disservice to this case and not providing accurate info about the lake and the area.

On Google maps it does show white gates at the access roads to the lake (boat launch area). You are correct, there are no gates on Lake Hughes Road.

Well I went to the park and the pay phones have been removed the spoke with the main office and they told me they were removed from there. The 7/11 is the closest to there.

Were pay phones removed before or since BL went missing?

Re: 7/11 & surveillance tapes
DRZ re: surveillance tapes?: They have tapes from a lot of locations but wont give details
Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - CA CA - Bryce Laspisa, 19, Castaic, 30 Aug 2013 - #1

These are photos of the crash site after the SUV was removed.

Are they the correct spot? Have we been looking at the correct spot on the maps? TIA

I know there is a lot of missing info in this case but what info are we missing about the crash site? TIA

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.n...20632128_n.jpg
1239525_622492214452038_1020632128_n.jpg

https://sphotos-b-lax.xx.fbcdn.net/h...52310749_n.jpg
1175176_622497677784825_852310749_n.jpg

Very steep!

<modsnip>

Back to Bryce, what more can be done, assuming he is out there, to get him home? I saw on the FB page that Lamar signs is willing to put up some signs for Bryce for free!

Where would be the best places for such signs? I'm thinking along the 5, one by Castaic.

Also, anything else anyone can think of to get the word out? Have truck stops across the west been fully blanketed with info about Bryce? That would be a good weekend trip each week, if the funds are available, for Bryce's loved ones to do, up and down the 5 and 101 freeways, putting up flyers at rest stops and truck stops.

And what about a great youtube video that can be linked to about Bryce, featuring pictures of him, video of him, his parents talking, the information about him missing, etc.? I am more than willing to make such a video. I'm pretty good at making nice videos now, but I would like to have some personal information about the kind of person Bryce is, how his family is feeling right now and maybe a couple more photos. It should be no more than 2 minutes long and accompanied by music. I would need to be able to download any video of Bryce and/or his parents, the sheriffs talking, etc. I could make a really beautiful video for him if I had all the data.

Let me know, Dragracerz, if I can help.
BBM: No, absolutely not. I just came through there, and at the five retail (gas/truck stop) places I stopped, there were no posters. At three of the locations I asked about putting some up, I was told they would have to ask the manager, so I left some behind. At the other two, one said no, they don't put up missing posters, and the other said sure, but put a date on it because they take them down a month after the date they were put up, if no written date, they used the missing date. (so you'd have to keep going back). I will hit the area better on my next run (in about 3 weeks), this one I was running behind and had limited stops.

There seems to be an ongoing thought that Bryce tried to access the Lake from behind the cell tower. The "hill" from the cell tower down to Main Ramp Rd is VERY steep. It is NOT something anyone would try to go down. There is no way a vehicle could go down this way WITHOUT rolling. The last part of the way just before the road is a very steep drop. More cliff-like.

Snipped for clarity

Was it possible he didn't realize how steep the bank was to the road behind the gates?? I think he attempted it when it was still dark. Not to mention, he was only 19 years old (they do dumb things sometimes . . )

I wonder if he ever used a pay phone before or knew any phone numbers.

Snipped for clarity

Was it possible he didn't realize how steep the bank was to the road behind the gates?? I think he attempted it when it was still dark. Not to mention, he was only 19 years old (they do dumb things sometimes . . )

It's possible but highly doubtful. If you would stand up there next to the cell tower you would see it's pretty steep.

<modsnip>

Back to Bryce, what more can be done, assuming he is out there, to get him home? I saw on the FB page that Lamar signs is willing to put up some signs for Bryce for free!

Where would be the best places for such signs? I'm thinking along the 5, one by Castaic.

Also, anything else anyone can think of to get the word out? Have truck stops across the west been fully blanketed with info about Bryce? That would be a good weekend trip each week, if the funds are available, for Bryce's loved ones to do, up and down the 5 and 101 freeways, putting up flyers at rest stops and truck stops.

And what about a great youtube video that can be linked to about Bryce, featuring pictures of him, video of him, his parents talking, the information about him missing, etc.? I am more than willing to make such a video. I'm pretty good at making nice videos now, but I would like to have some personal information about the kind of person Bryce is, how his family is feeling right now and maybe a couple more photos. It should be no more than 2 minutes long and accompanied by music. I would need to be able to download any video of Bryce and/or his parents, the sheriffs talking, etc. I could make a really beautiful video for him if I had all the data.

Let me know, Dragracerz, if I can help.
Wow, gitana1, this is really nice of you! I hope dragracerz will take advantage of your kind offer. A video could reach some of those "I hate to read" folks and hopefully enlist more eyes to be on the lookout for Bryce. A great idea, really, and just when we need one of those!:tyou:

I wonder if he ever used a pay phone before or knew any phone numbers.

Sadly I would be lost without my cell phone and numbers as I would not remember a single one! And I grew up with pay phones :facepalm:

I apologise if these questions have been answered ,and if so can someone direct me to them...I can't find anything about it...Thank you

Was the tool that was used to break the window fingerprinted at all?

Was the window broken from the inside or out?

These are photos of the crash site after the SUV was removed.

Are they the correct spot? Have we been looking at the correct spot on the maps? TIA

I know there is a lot of missing info in this case but what info are we missing about the crash site? TIA

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.n...20632128_n.jpg
1239525_622492214452038_1020632128_n.jpg

https://sphotos-b-lax.xx.fbcdn.net/h...52310749_n.jpg
1175176_622497677784825_852310749_n.jpg
The one looking southbound (uphill), shows the third telephone pole down from Lake Hughes road (right at the end of the guard rail). The one looking northbound (downhill), is showing a single cross pole, and that one is 4 poles down. There is about 250 feet between them, so was the person standing on the accident spot when they took the picture?

Map attached. Does this look closer?

Attachments

• MainRampRoadCastaic.jpg
    MainRampRoadCastaic.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 32
I apologise if these questions have been answered ,and if so can someone direct me to them...I can't find anything about it...Thank you

I don't think we know that. There is no evidence that Bryce used the tool and no answers on where the glass fell. I don't think LE has released anything about prints either.

I think after much discussion, it wasn't determined the tool was ever used. There is the possibility the back window broke during the tumbled down the hillside and the subsequent crash.

Not sure if emergency tool was recovered. If found, haven't heard about it having been fingerprinted.

From timeline:
- - - - DRZ: It is still not known conclusively if the emergency tool was used to break the rear window or if it was broken in the crash.
Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - CA CA - Bryce Laspisa, 19, Castaic, 30 Aug 2013 - #1

Rest of timeline at link [FONT=&amp]&#42780;&#42780;&#42780;[/FONT]

Not sure if emergency tool was recovered. If found, haven't heard about it having been fingerprinted.

From timeline:
- - - - DRZ: It is still not known conclusively if the emergency tool was used to break the rear window or if it was broken in the crash.

Rest of timeline at link [FONT=&quot]&#42780;&#42780;&#42780;[/FONT]

Quest, just want to say the job you've done is awesome! Thank you for the hard work on the TL I've been using your TL for all of my theories so thank you!

Quest, just want to say the job you've done is awesome! Thank you for the hard work on the TL I've been using your TL for all of my theories so thank you!

TY, it was a WS group effort!

Thanks for bringing your theories to WS!!! Today is the first day I've felt some sense of a weight lifted that this young man might still be alive despite the length of time and odds in these type of cases.

Please continue to fill us in! Thx

Now, let's hope BL can be located, hugged and then his hide tanned!!! JMO

New map of possible crash site (I'm still guessing based on pictures without a vehicle in them). This one is looking from the east to the west. (Main Ramp Rd runs north/south at the point where the accident took place)

ETA: OK, weird. I uploaded a png, and it became a jpg.

Attachments

• MainRampRoadCastaicWestView.jpg
    MainRampRoadCastaicWestView.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 33
New map of possible crash site (I'm still guessing based on pictures without a vehicle in them). This one is looking from the east to the west. (Main Ramp Rd runs north/south at the point where the accident took place)

It's a png because they are clearer.

From what I understand no pictures have surfaced of the SUV and where it landed. All I can see is impressions where the SUV was in the dirt and where the tow truck pulled it out and if they are correct this SUV did not roll down the hill and land on the boat launch road.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member