CA CA - Bryce Laspisa, 19, Castaic, 30 Aug 2013 - #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good luck and safe travels to Amanda and the Buttonwillow crew! We will be with you in spirit! Also thank you to all who are participating in the KlaasKids search this weekend! I pray that the family find hope or peace of mind as a result.

Drag mentions that he hopes to have a 40 head count for the search. My question is that 40 seems like a low number for such a large search area. Perhaps that's just my perception but if sarx or Travelgd could shed any light that would be appreciated.

Saying prayers and GOOD LUCK all!!!!

:drumroll:

The Find Bryce FB page posted about a possible sighting in Ontario, CA of a homeless looking young adult with red hair spotted with an older homeless looking man. They asked for people in the area to keep their eyes open. There is a homeless young man with red hair who has been spotted around the Corona and Norco areas over the past year+ so he may have moved into the Ontario area (the city of Ontario is only a few miles from Norco.)

I vaguely remember mention on a homeless young man fitting BL's description around Norco/Corona. You may have a good point here. As for the new sighting at the entrance of the I-10 they need to be mores specific as to what ramp that was at. Way to many entrance/exits on the I-10 :twocents:

ETA NEVERMIND the person who spotted the homeless guy resembling BL just updated where...

Sending love, support, and positive energy from south Louisiana to the searchers today!

I'm there with you in spirit.

May today be the day Bryce is found!

I'm way ahead, time zone wise and it's dark here. I guess the search in CA is still well underway though. I am sending good wishes to everyone searching for this young man. I hope he is found.

Also, I read back a while that people thought it was weird that bryce knew people who were also missing. I have to say that I know 2 people. One that I was married to but was seperated at the time and another that was a friend and the best man in a wedding I was in as well. My ex was an officer and finally went in to get help for some anxiety issues after not doing so for a few years. PTSD related. He missed a pcs to another base. He was missing for over a month. The anti anxiety they put him on has side affects and he went in to a bad state. So here is a guy who was a professional West Point grad who for lack of a better word lost it. Everyone including me assumed he was dead because what else could it be. Ranger Officers don't go missing when they have to check in to a new base especially a Major. My buddy went missing about 2 months after they found my ex. He was a young professional (28) who graduated from college in Northern California a few years before. Now he reminds me of bryce in a way. He left his car. Didn't really take much and took off. His FB went dead and his phone didn't work after a bit. The months before he left he became an *advertiser censored*. Sorry he was. To the point that I didn't like being around him. He made some comments that were paranoid, not a lot but a few. He smoked pot way more than he had before and started trying other things. One day I got a call that he was gone. He was living as a roomate with our friends the bride and groom. Before he left he had times that weren't accounted for as well. Eight hours here 10 hours there. Long story short one day his Facebook was shut down. A few days later I get an add request with the rest of our friends. He's living in Northern California with weird people. His profile pic is him infront of an old truck in a beach chair. His posts are rambling now but every once in a while its something coherent. We reach out and sometimes it seems to work. My friends set out to see him a few months back. He told them he's happier. So you just don't know I guess that's my point. Nobody thought Brian was okay and he was. Heard the same comments on here about bryce that I heard about Brian. "There's no way at this point he's okay". Btw Brian is fine now and on another med and got his career somehow back bc the doctors/nurses screwed up by by not following up. Not sure if thats smart but thats something else.So there are happy endings when you think there isn't any way there will be. I guess that's my point.

How lOng was your friend missing for?

Hoping that this weekend comes back with a positive lead into finding Bryce.

I have been busy over the past few days ,sending emails/messages in regards to this weekends search,in particular to a site for Local Meet ups(esp in Castaic area)... the groups that I have been targeting are the Walkers and Hikers but also Photographers and any other groups/communities that would be of any help.
I must say that the HQ owners/moderators of this site have been extremely helpful and are willing to help in any way they can, especially if any Missing Person is a Member of this site ......and I thought I would pass this information on to WS as it seems like another good way to reach out to thousands of the Local (and not so local) Communities ,when trying to find a Missing person.
I've had to join a lot of these groups, and as I live in the UK , might seem a bit odd to any local groups, and also to get my personal emails/messages just right ,otherwise they can be flagged as spam....so determination and politeness wins the day :)

Here is hoping for some extra help with the search or at least some extra new eyes,likes or shares in Finding Bryce ....

Paying It Forward....

Super smart and super cool!

I don't know what they are for. Of course I was looking up in trees thinking of Linnea Lomax/hanging, but they were on several of the trees so I doubt it's anything like that. Still strange though. Gave me the heeby jeebies. Pic below.

e5upyzy7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

They are tagging trees for pruning. If a loose branch falls on a park visitor, the county has to pay.

I remember you bringing it up, Amanda, and you made some very good points that I thought discounted the possibility of him walking around with amnesia. It is what I like to call the "movie version" of amnesia (kind of how movies always show people in comas for months waking up perfectly fine without residual effects and discharging from the hospital that day.) Wish it were like that. I can also understand his family wanting to believe he is fine with no memory of his life or loved ones instead of the alternatives. Praying for positive results this weekend!

I provided at least a dozen links about people with a form of amnesia suddenly forget who they are, assume a new identity and then have the string compulsion to wander long distances. It is called disassociative fugue and appears to be a mental issue precipitated by extreme stress, rather than a neurological one, although apparently, a minor head injury can be involved.

So it is possible that Bryce is out there suffering from amnesia.

I know a bit about head injuries. My brother was attacked by thugs one night who tried to rob him. He was drunk and a crazy punk rocker, so he tried to fight ( his knuckles told the story) and got his head bashed in with a weapon. He had severe memory loss for awhile, forgetting his roommate and thinking his roommate was an old friend from a decade before.

But, like he expert discussed, he was very debilitated. He could hardly hold a spoon or cup and couldn't walk straight for weeks. I had to help him in the bath. He couldn't take a shower. Poor baby.

But there is another form of amnesia not related to such head injuries.

I'm way ahead, time zone wise and it's dark here. I guess the search in CA is still well underway though. I am sending good wishes to everyone searching for this young man. I hope he is found.

Me too. It's going to be in the upper 80's there this afternoon. Right now it's 83 but is expected to reach 88.

The Man who Mistook his wife for a hat.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...k_His_Wife_for_a_Hat_and_Other_Clinical_Tales

One of the most enlightening and surprising books I ever read about the mind and what it can do. The man in question did indeed mistake his wife for a hat - he could not differentiate between the two any longer, and tried to put her on his head as he left the doctor's office.

The story can be read about page 7 here:
http://robinlea.com/pub/wife-hat.pdf#page7

Oliver Sacks is one of my heroes, this book is actually on my beside table alongside one of his other books 'A leg to stand on' ...truly fascinating! :)

I don't know what they are for. Of course I was looking up in trees thinking of Linnea Lomax/hanging, but they were on several of the trees so I doubt it's anything like that. Still strange though. Gave me the heeby jeebies. Pic below.
<snipped for space - pic on previous page>

Oh that IS creepy! Thanks both for checking it out and for sharing the pic.

That's some pretty heavy duty looking rope. When you originally posted about it I was picturing rope swing over the lake, but doesn't look like it's close enough to the lake to be that. It doesn't really look like the typical tags they use (at least around where I live) for pruning either - too frayed. The caution tape makes sense if they're worried about branches falling, but I think the rope's unrelated. Weird. Pinatas are a good thought. I agree with slowpoke though, it looks like something out of a Halloween scene!

How lOng was your friend missing for?

Super smart and super cool!

They are tagging trees for pruning. If a loose branch falls on a park visitor, the county has to pay.

I provided at least a dozen links about people with a form of amnesia suddenly forget who they are, assume a new identity and then have the string compulsion to wander long distances. It is called disassociative fugue and appears to be a mental issue precipitated by extreme stress, rather than a neurological one, although apparently, a minor head injury can be involved.

So it is possible that Bryce is out there suffering from amnesia.

I know a bit about head injuries. My brother was attacked by thugs one night who tried to rob him. He was drunk and a crazy punk rocker, so he tried to fight ( his knuckles told the story) and got his head bashed in with a weapon. He had severe memory loss for awhile, forgetting his roommate and thinking his roommate was an old friend from a decade before.

But, like he expert discussed, he was very debilitated. He could hardly hold a spoon or cup and couldn't walk straight for weeks. I had to help him in the bath. He couldn't take a shower. Poor baby.

But there is another form of amnesia not related to such head injuries.

do you mean a fugue state? there have only been a couple of fugue state reports and a lot of experts aren't even convinced that it's a real thing.

bryce definitely had drug troubles in the past and from what the parents have said i think he's had his fair share of tough issues.
sadly, i think bryce intended to commit suicide or start completely over with a new identity and everything.
i hope it's the latter because perhaps he can be convinced by the public support that he should come home.

I vaguely remember mention on a homeless young man fitting BL's description around Norco/Corona. You may have a good point here. As for the new sighting at the entrance of the I-10 they need to be mores specific as to what ramp that was at. Way to many entrance/exits on the I-10 :twocents:

ETA NEVERMIND the person who spotted the homeless guy resembling BL just updated where...

I posted on the Find Bryce FB page that there is a known homeless young man in the area that does resemble Bryce but that we would keep an eye out for this man that was sighted. Someone deleted my comment. I guess they don't want anyone to know about him. Oh well.

I posted on the Find Bryce FB page that there is a known homeless young man in the area that does resemble Bryce but that we would keep an eye out for this man that was sighted. Someone deleted my comment. I guess they don't want anyone to know about him. Oh well.

if one spots a missing person who likely doesn't want to be found, should you approach them and casually ask them questions or just call the police? and if they're running away should you be trying to catch up with them or just call the police and stay put? what is the protocol for this kind of thing?
sorry if this is incredibly obvious, i just feel like if you simply call the police it would be so easy for the person to get away and never be found again

if one spots a missing person who likely doesn't want to be found, should you approach them and casually ask them questions or just call the police? and if they're running away should you be trying to catch up with them or just call the police and stay put? what is the protocol for this kind of thing?
sorry if this is incredibly obvious, i just feel like if you simply call the police it would be so easy for the person to get away and never be found again

I would call LE and keep the person in my sight until LE showed up. I would also try and take a photo. Before I called LE though I would definitely have to be pretty certain it was the missing person (not just think they may slightly resemble someone) so as to not waste anyone's time, be accused of harassing anyone, wasting my time or start a frenzy on FB, etc. I would want to confirm specific characteristics, if possible (eye color, tattoo, height, etc.) The problem I have is that, to me, each photo of Bryce looks so different that it is hard to tell what he might look like now, if he is indeed wandering around out there somewhere needing to be found.

I don't know the "right" answer to this. LE would probably say call and don't approach them, but on a personal level I think it would be very case-by-case. I know a few of our local homeless somewhat, and most of them I've met either because I see them walking around on a regular basis, or one guy I know somewhat well because we run into him at the free summer concerts in the park up the street from us pretty often. It's a comfortable atmosphere where it isn't weird to say hi, talk about the band, etc. He's funny, he likes giving us the scoop on all the homeless people in the area, knows when someone new "moves in" (so to speak)... he's sort of the homeless version of the nosy neighbor gossipy lady. I think it would be great if a searcher runs across someone like that in the areas where Bryce has been potentially spotted. They'd know if there was a "new kid" around.

I also think if someone did spot Bryce and he seemed casual and not guarded, it would be ok to talk to him - "hey what's up man? nice day out huh?" kind of thing.

On the other hand if it's someone who doesn't want to talk, doesn't want to be found, runs away, or is very stand-offish I wouldn't approach them just to be safe. I'm saying this in general, not just about Bryce. I agree with you, there's the danger they could take off and not be found again, but you have to take your own safety into account too IMO.

I would call LE and keep the person in my sight until LE showed up. I would also try and take a photo. Before I called LE though I would definitely have to be pretty certain it was the missing person (not just think they may slightly resemble someone) so as to not waste anyone's time, be accused of harassing anyone, wasting my time or start a frenzy on FB, etc. I would want to confirm specific characteristics, if possible (eye color, tattoo, height, etc.) The problem I have is that, to me, each photo of Bryce looks so different that it is hard to tell what he might look like now, if he is indeed wandering around out there somewhere needing to be found.

im sure that even if a person were incorrectly identified (which obviously isn't ideal at all) they would be understanding because of the urgency of the case.
i say, try to make sure as much as possible but if you're on the fence about it, it's better to call rather than not call, right?

JMPO!
but!
Sadly I don't think hes walking around,
I think something happened to him and he will be found very near where his car was found!

im sure that even if a person were incorrectly identified (which obviously isn't ideal at all) they would be understanding because of the urgency of the case.
i say, try to make sure as much as possible but if you're on the fence about it, it's better to call rather than not call, right?

Oh most definitely! I was just speaking to how I would go about it if I came across Bryce. I would call, follow and document...but knowing my personality, I would want to know with some certainty that he was Bryce by confirming some or most of the known characteristics before calling it in. If it was at all a possibility and I couldn't confirm I would most definitely call rather than risking him disappearing again. I would definitely talk to him if he was standing in front of me but probably wouldn't interject myself into his environment to speak to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alicat3