CA CA - Bryce Laspisa, 19, Castaic, 30 Aug 2013 - #8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Civil Air Patrol will usually organize a low level search by air if they get a request from an official source (LE, Military etc). They search for downed aircraft, so this type of search is right up their alley. They could probably scramble two aircraft for a weekend search of the more remote areas.

On occasion the Military will also assist as their pilots and crews need to have flight hours on the books, SAR hours are even better. Rather than just flying around for no reason, they would rather be looking for something. As a last resort in a Search I was managing a few years back in PA, I called Willow Grove Naval Air Station They said they would check and see what they could do. Within an hour they had two Cessna 0-2 Skymasters and a P-3 Orion scrambled and on station over us...I was a bit shocked when the pilots called in on our SAR frequency and asked for the grid area we wanted them to search. The next day the CAP was on hand with two Cessna 172's and 20 Ranger Cadets ready to go.

BUT...nothing happens if no one asks....

I've been following Bryce's case, but haven't posted until now. I seem to remember that at the time Bryce had the crash and disappeared, weren't there some kind of LE or LE training exercises taking place that morning? Also, fisherman I think? Anyway, maybe my opinion isn't going to be popular, but I think Bryce is either in the lake, or right around that area. I've started to wonder if Bryce, after the crash, and perhaps in shock, may have seen all the activity from LE vehicles and others, and panicked thinking they were looking for him, and tried to swim away from any activity he may have seen, and was unable to reach shore. Sadly, I don't think Bryce is alive, and I wish that the lake could be searched more thoroughly. Other theory, Bryce did make it to shore, but didn't survive, and hasn't been found. Either way, I think Bryce will be found in the lake or right around the lake.

I'm not underestimating the huge restraint Bryce's loved ones are demonstrating, when every instinct must be urging them to race around begging everyone to help find their son, any way they can.

This is a deliberate, new strategy they have adopted and if it is frustrating for us, I can't imagine how hard it is for them. They are trying everything they can to find Bryce, and I'm sure if he isn't found soon, they will try something else. This is worth a try though, in case it is the publicity that has kept him away.

I like the idea of enlisting the help of aircraft though, if it's possible. That could be done quietly, without anybody knowing, so it wouldn't harm the strategy of not alarming Bryce. Does anyone know if aircraft owners are willing to do this without charge? I imagine it could be very expensive, otherwise. I obviously don't know about Bryce's family finances, but I always worry about the huge, hidden costs and financial strain of searching for a missing person. I know fundraising can help, but that carries additional, different weights and strains to an already heavy burden.

I've been following Bryce's case, but haven't posted until now. I seem to remember that at the time Bryce had the crash and disappeared, weren't there some kind of LE or LE training exercises taking place that morning? Also, fisherman I think? Anyway, maybe my opinion isn't going to be popular, but I think Bryce is either in the lake, or right around that area. I've started to wonder if Bryce, after the crash, and perhaps in shock, may have seen all the activity from LE vehicles and others, and panicked thinking they were looking for him, and tried to swim away from any activity he may have seen, and was unable to reach shore. Sadly, I don't think Bryce is alive, and I wish that the lake could be searched more thoroughly. Other theory, Bryce did make it to shore, but didn't survive, and hasn't been found. Either way, I think Bryce will be found in the lake or right around the lake.

Welcome to Bryce's thread, solitaryone. This is the first I've heard of an LE training exercise in the area. I must have missed something?

Welcome to Bryce's thread, solitaryone. This is the first I've heard of an LE training exercise in the area. I must have missed something?

Thank's for the welcome, zwiebel! I read some posts about LE training exercises some time back in previous threads, and there was a picture that was posted then too. I can't remember which thread, or who posted this, but hopefully, someone here will also remember this and where to find it.

Thank's for the welcome, zwiebel! I read some posts about LE training exercises some time back in previous threads, and there was a picture that was posted then too. I can't remember which thread, or who posted this, but hopefully, someone here will also remember this and where to find it.

Hi Solitary. I've followed this case from the beginning too, and haven't posted before in Bryce's threads.

Yes, law enforcement was conducting a training exercise at the lake that morning, and it was one of the people involved in that training on his way to the lake who found Bryce's crashed vehicle. I believe it was police dive training IIRC.

IIRC, this was in one of law enforcement's earliest press release, which were on Nixle, and Bryce's mom also talked about it in an interview.

I haven't saved links on this case, so can't offer one. The info is out there though lol.

ETA: Well, one of the links came right up on Google with this radio station interview of Bryce's mom.

His car was found between 4:20 a.m. and 5:15 a.m. when law enforcement arrived at the lake for a training exercise, she said.

http://hometownstation.com/santa-clarita-news/missing-teen-bryce-laspisa-sought-castaic-search-38475

hmm.. what exactly are lowflying aircraft going to be able to ascertain after this amount of time, if indeed Bryce did not make it away from the land surrounding the lake, and pardon me for being graphic...his remains are scattered out into the brush, which often happens by wildlife?
With all due respect imho, it is going take ground searches, dedicated to going in some possibly difficult terrain.

At this stage, I don't think aircraft would be of much use, IMO.

If he is still out there it is going to take some very thorough searching which will require a whole lot of man hours, either by a whole lot of people, or over a whole lot of time.

Hi Solitary. I've followed this case from the beginning too, and haven't posted before in Bryce's threads.

Yes, law enforcement was conducting a training exercise at the lake that morning, and it was one of the people involved in that training on his way to the lake who found Bryce's crashed vehicle. I believe it was police dive training IIRC.

IIRC, this was in one of law enforcement's earliest press release, which were on Nixle, and Bryce's mom also talked about it in an interview.

I haven't saved links on this case, so can't offer one. The info is out there though lol.

ETA: Well, one of the links came right up on Google with this radio station interview of Bryce's mom.

His car was found between 4:20 a.m. and 5:15 a.m. when law enforcement arrived at the lake for a training exercise, she said.

http://hometownstation.com/santa-clarita-news/missing-teen-bryce-laspisa-sought-castaic-search-38475

Hi Cheese! Thank's so much! I knew I read this, and I saw a photo of LE cars lined up for this training exercise. And yes, I remember it was one of the people involved in that who found Bryce's vehicle. I wonder if Bryce after leaving the vehicle saw all this activity and thought they were after him, so he tried to swim to get away, and either didn't make it to shore, or did, but didn't survive. I sadly think Bryce will be found either in the lake, or right in the area surrounding it.

I'm not underestimating the huge restraint Bryce's loved ones are demonstrating, when every instinct must be urging them to race around begging everyone to help find their son, any way they can.

This is a deliberate, new strategy they have adopted and if it is frustrating for us, I can't imagine how hard it is for them. They are trying everything they can to find Bryce, and I'm sure if he isn't found soon, they will try something else. This is worth a try though, in case it is the publicity that has kept him away.

I like the idea of enlisting the help of aircraft though, if it's possible. That could be done quietly, without anybody knowing, so it wouldn't harm the strategy of not alarming Bryce. Does anyone know if aircraft owners are willing to do this without charge? I imagine it could be very expensive, otherwise. I obviously don't know about Bryce's family finances, but I always worry about the huge, hidden costs and financial strain of searching for a missing person. I know fundraising can help, but that carries additional, different weights and strains to an already heavy burden.

JMO but I never thought there was a ton of media for this case. Certainly not what I think of as high-profile, as far as media attention goes. I hope that if the family decides a media blitz is the next step, they are able to get their (media's) interest. Bryce does not fit a profile, IMO, generally appealing to media.

I had these thoughts a few weeks back. Some folks were doing a search at the lake, I mentioned looking at all of the culverts and head-wall areas. You start the morning off in a not so great state of mind...For whatever reason (school stress, girlfiend, family, life)..You then crash your car..You are standing there adrenaline pumping....Asking yourself "OK what now Bryce?"...Fight or flight mode...Look down the road and see a bunch of law enforcement cars....At this point flight could put you in many bad situations around a lake. Into the lake, culvert or hills to name a few. More so had he sustained injury as a result of the crash. I think that under "normal" circumstances, seeing a bunch of LE vehicles/Officers after you had an accident in the boondocks would be a very welcome sight. I hate to spin negative, but seven weeks is a long time to stay under the radar at 19 years old.

Gary Tweddle in Australia was only missing for a month and half before he was found, sadly deceased. The territory where he went missing was horrendous for searching though - mountains, sheer cliff faces, very thick vegetation. To give you an example, there is an hotel and a golf course there, but hikers' sites have warnings about not risking taking a shortcut through the golf course to the trail, because you might never find it, or come back alive.

Gary was young, left a work event at the hotel in a disorientated state and could not be found. Australian SAR pulled out all the stops, but he was gone. Then later, an emergency helicopter on a completely unrelated training exercise, somehow accidentally spotted his shirt from the air. There is a picture in the article at the post I'm linking here, that shows the terrain where they managed to do that, when they weren't even searching.

Bryce was wearing a blue and white checked shirt, which would stand out in almost any terrain, so I think there is still a chance he could be spotted from the air. He also has very light red/orange hair. That might help too.

Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Found Deceased Australia - Gary Tweddle, 23, Fairmont Resort Leura, Blue Mountains, 16 July 2013 -#3

I've been following the McStay family being found, while looking at the brothers facebook I noticed he is friends with Bryce!! Pretty small world I guess, but I know there have been rumours of drugs maybe being involved with the McStays!

Just an observation :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been following the McStay family being found, while looking at the brothers facebook I noticed he is friends with Bryce!! Pretty small world I guess, but I know there have been rumours of drugs maybe being involved with the McStays!

Just an observation :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah and those rumors never went anywhere. The McStays were known to not like drugs.

Maybe now that Bryce has been missing almost 3 months Tim Miller founder of TES could get the clearance from LE to search the Castaic Lake area by horseback. Tim will only work on cases where the families are completely up front and honest about everything and no deception.

He has withdrawn from cases before when he felt the family was holding back and or lying, for instance the Caylee Anthony case. There was a lot of deception with the family going on in that case.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/casey_anth...story?id=14059042&ref=https://www.google.com/

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...0110103_1_east-27th-roads-crash-site-shannons

Not being able to spot a body from the air (or otherwise) always reminds me of the case of Tanya Shannon who, after the car crashed, walked away into a snowy soybean field wearing a red formal dress. She didn't get very far, about three-forths of a mile. Despite early ground and air searches, she wasn't found until almost a month later.
A news helicoper spotted her body just as formal searches were getting underway again.

Strange as she was found not too far away from the crash site.
It's bewildering how the searchers missed her during the first week of organized searches.
The weather and frigid temperatures hindered their efforts.
Still, hard to believe she wasn't found sooner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jamiestews06