CA CA - Bryce Laspisa, 19, Castaic, 30 Aug 2013 - #8

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It may be difficult to run a credit report due to the privacy of an Adult.

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=civ&group=01001-02000&file=1785.10-1785.19.5

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

It's actually very easy to run a credit report on a person. As long as I have a name and social security number I can have one in my hands in less than 5 minutes.

That being said, where it gets a little tricky is when the intent in pulling credit is to perpetrate fraud. If the person(s) whose credit is pulled doesn't notify the bureau's that their credit has been pulled without their consent and/or knowledge it goes unnoticed.

I have been in banking for 30 plus years and have pulled more than my fair share of credit reports. In that 30 plus years I have never had one person complain to anybody about their credit being pulled fraudulently. If one has ever seen a "raw" credit report one would understand the value of them, not just for credit purposes but for many other purposes.

Wishing the Laspisa family had some good news and wondering why they don't. To me it seems it is either he "can't"come home or he "won't" come home. We know the variables to "can't", he is either in the lake, succumbed to his injuries in the elements or was the victim of foul play. The"won't" come home is perplexing. What could have set him off in such a way as to not want to connect with family and friends for so long. Whatever his personal issues were that sent him into an altered state of being and left him out of gas in Buttonwillow it seems that he was having a difficult time making a decision to go back home. In retrospect he was obviously wanting some "space" as guys are known to do. His friends and family were inundating him with calls and texts, trying to check on him while he was on his trip. His family sent the tow truck driver who brought him gas back to check on him and then the cops were sent to not only do a wellness check but to search his SUV for drugs. Have you all wondered what they would have done had they found any? Were they asked to do a search? Why would they have apontaneously done a search? How would Bryce feel about that invasion of privacy after they left? Personally I would have felt really angry that someone sent the cops and could have had me arrested. At this point in time we all wished that was the worst thing that happened to Bryce that weekend. If he had been arrested he would still be safe.
I have to think that he was avoiding something and in the process went from he wouldn't go home to he couldn't go home. I hope I'm wrong.

The Maura Murray case is eerily similar to Bryce's case. Car accident, abandoned car and no Maura anywhere.

Here is part one of five aired on "Disapperared" show on YouTube. All parts available. Interesting story. Sadly she has never been found.

http://youtu.be/WxJHPT9fNlo

I remember watching the "Disappeared" show about her but it was a long time ago. Are there any theories that the police or parents have come up with? If I remember correctly they believe foul play was involved?

It's actually very easy to run a credit report on a person. As long as I have a name and social security number I can have one in my hands in less than 5 minutes.

That being said, where it gets a little tricky is when the intent in pulling credit is to perpetrate fraud. If the person(s) whose credit is pulled doesn't notify the bureau's that their credit has been pulled without their consent and/or knowledge it goes unnoticed.

I have been in banking for 30 plus years and have pulled more than my fair share of credit reports. In that 30 plus years I have never had one person complain to anybody about their credit being pulled fraudulently. If one has ever seen a "raw" credit report one would understand the value of them, not just for credit purposes but for many other purposes.

Ah, you are right- I was thinking of LE running it. Legally we couldn't do it without a subpoena or a warrant, but his mom could totally run it.

Wishing the Laspisa family had some good news and wondering why they don't. To me it seems it is either he "can't"come home or he "won't" come home. We know the variables to "can't", he is either in the lake, succumbed to his injuries in the elements or was the victim of foul play. The"won't" come home is perplexing. What could have set him off in such a way as to not want to connect with family and friends for so long. Whatever his personal issues were that sent him into an altered state of being and left him out of gas in Buttonwillow it seems that he was having a difficult time making a decision to go back home. In retrospect he was obviously wanting some "space" as guys are known to do. His friends and family were inundating him with calls and texts, trying to check on him while he was on his trip. His family sent the tow truck driver who brought him gas back to check on him and then the cops were sent to not only do a wellness check but to search his SUV for drugs. Have you all wondered what they would have done had they found any? Were they asked to do a search? Why would they have apontaneously done a search? How would Bryce feel about that invasion of privacy after they left? Personally I would have felt really angry that someone sent the cops and could have had me arrested. At this point in time we all wished that was the worst thing that happened to Bryce that weekend. If he had been arrested he would still be safe.
I have to think that he was avoiding something and in the process went from he wouldn't go home to he couldn't go home. I hope I'm wrong.

I have always wondered about the search of the car as well. Since the parents own it, they could totally consent to its search, but it wouldn't include a search if him, only his car. His mom seems very protective of him, though, which wouldn't seem consistent with her wanting to get him in trouble if there was anything there. This tells me it is not a mom simply checking up on her son but some pretty serious concern. If I thought my son picked up some weed or something, especially if he had some legal issues in the past I had to help him out of, I wouldn't want him getting caught. If I feared he might be in danger, however, I would be much more inclined to risk his getting in trouble in the process.

I've looked at so many 'won't go home' cases looking for clues. The only thing they seem to have in common is that loved ones didn't have a clue why the person would go voluntarily missing, and many were convinced it could only be foul play or injury, until the loved one was found. Reasons for their leaving are rarely made public after. Sadly, many cases of suicide seem to be the same.

I don't know what's happened to Bryce, and don't know what could be most effective in getting him to make contact if he's out there. But I think that as the full-scale publicity approach has been tried, it is worthwhile trying a quiet approach as well. I am sure the PI is able to support a media campaign, but at this time is deliberately not doing so.

My own feeling is that if this approach doesn't work by christmas, it's not going to. It will signal the need for a new start in the New Year, and that should be based upon a 'can't come home' scenario, I believe. I hope it doesn't come to that though.

Thank you so much for all this info. Cool stuff.

Another scenario I think could be a possibility isn't on your list. Besides "can't because he's dead" or "won't", how about wandering among the homeless or living in a different area or state, after suffering some form of dissociation or psychosis? Because there are numerous cases like that where the person was eventually recovered, that I've cited a bunch of times.

I've finally caught up with all the info posted here and on the FB find Bryce page. I'm 22 years old, so I feel like since I've been involved in drugs/partying/etc.. I have a different perspective of this. 1) Bryce tried to break up with his girlfriend not once but TWICE that we know of. That's just a red flag to me IMO. It also could just signal a young, immature relationship or erratic behavior, but I really don't think so.

2) 10 hours in the Armpit of California? Buttonwillow has a population of about 1,500. That's 1,500 hundred possible sightings, plus the countless others from travelers. I think Bryce met someone here and planned his new life/escape/whatever. This thing SCREAMS drugs to me, whether it be running or manufacturing, or even just dealing. College+drug history=Opportunity and connections. Add this to trying to cut ties with Girlfriend and it kind of starts to make sense. Young, wanting to break free, and the promise of money?

The second car behind him, why was it there? Maybe he was supposed to meet earlier at the first time (2:00am approx. when he was first seen) and then the meeting was delayed until 4:00. They left the car to crash and took off maybe?

Now maybe none of this was choice, but he could have had an extra cell phone, as many drug people have burner phones. Also, he could have been pressured into doing whatever it was, or perhaps even paying off some sort of accrued debt.

I'm sure that LE has explored these options, but other than being dead, it's the nly option I feel strongly about.

Are there any shady friends that anyone here knows about?

ALL just opinion

I've finally caught up with all the info posted here and on the FB find Bryce page. I'm 22 years old, so I feel like since I've been involved in drugs/partying/etc.. I have a different perspective of this. 1) Bryce tried to break up with his girlfriend not once but TWICE that we know of. That's just a red flag to me IMO. It also could just signal a young, immature relationship or erratic behavior, but I really don't think so.

2) 10 hours in the Armpit of California? Buttonwillow has a population of about 1,500. That's 1,500 hundred possible sightings, plus the countless others from travelers. I think Bryce met someone here and planned his new life/escape/whatever. This thing SCREAMS drugs to me, whether it be running or manufacturing, or even just dealing. College+drug history=Opportunity and connections. Add this to trying to cut ties with Girlfriend and it kind of starts to make sense. Young, wanting to break free, and the promise of money?

The second car behind him, why was it there? Maybe he was supposed to meet earlier at the first time (2:00am approx. when he was first seen) and then the meeting was delayed until 4:00. They left the car to crash and took off maybe?

Now maybe none of this was choice, but he could have had an extra cell phone, as many drug people have burner phones. Also, he could have been pressured into doing whatever it was, or perhaps even paying off some sort of accrued debt.

I'm sure that LE has explored these options, but other than being dead, it's the nly option I feel strongly about.

ALL just opinion

Thank you for your insight. What second car behind him? Is this new information? First I've heard about this.

ALL just opinion

Thank you for your post and insight from a different perspective. My son, who is also 22, said pretty much the same thing. Bryce's disappearance is most likely drug related and he would be shocked if drugs are not involved in some way.

I suspect mine is not the most popular opinion, but I still feel his remains are out there in the scrub brush waiting to be found. He "passed on" either by purpose or misadventure.

I still think the SUV over the embankment was an attempt to access the blocked off boat ramp to put the SUV in the lake to hide it and it went wrong.

The scent trail away from the SUV and across the spillway tell me there was no other car waiting for him as many other closer spots to wait were available.

It smells like a huge personal issue was eating him, actions by others exacerbated the situation in his mind to the breaking point and he, for all intents and purposes "threw in the towel" in frustration.

Both his uncle and parents have made public statements to the effect that "we can work this out" which points to an underlying issue or suspicion of an issue that the family understandably wants to keep out of the public eye. What his and their personal life is like is none of my darn business. I continue to focus on the hard known facts as they relate to his going missing and SAR.

With respect, as I have said before, while drugs "may" have been a contributing factor, I don't think they were the MAIN factor. I cannot wrap my mind around a young man, going to college, having a loving family just walking away over drugs without a word to even his uncle. I am almost 60, so I have seen more than my fair share of drug scenario's in LE and SAR. Focusing on drugs takes away from looking and evaluating the many other possible scenario's. It is also attacking the victim, his family and by extension, his girl friend in my humble opinion.

I suspect mine is not the most popular opinion, but I still feel his remains are out there in the scrub brush waiting to be found. He "passed on" either by purpose or misadventure.

I still think the SUV over the embankment was an attempt to access the blocked off boat ramp to put the SUV in the lake to hide it and it went wrong.

The scent trail away from the SUV and across the spillway tell me there was no other car waiting for him as many other closer spots to wait were available.

It smells like a huge personal issue was eating him, actions by others exacerbated the situation in his mind to the breaking point and he, for all intents and purposes "threw in the towel" in frustration.

Both his uncle and parents have made public statements to the effect that "we can work this out" which points to an underlying issue or suspicion of an issue that the family understandably wants to keep out of the public eye. What his and their personal life is like is none of my darn business. I continue to focus on the hard known facts as they relate to his going missing and SAR.

With respect, as I have said before, while drugs "may" have been a contributing factor, I don't think they were the MAIN factor. I cannot wrap my mind around a young man, going to college, having a loving family just walking away over drugs without a word to even his uncle. I am almost 60, so I have seen more than my fair share of drug scenario's in LE and SAR. Focusing on drugs takes away from looking and evaluating the many other possible scenario's. It is also attacking the victim, his family and by extension, his girl friend in my humble opinion.

Your words of wisdom seem right on. What do you feel are the next steps to take?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you for your insight. What second car behind him? Is this new information? First I've heard about this.

A second car was mentioned in earlier threads being seen on the security camera a minute behind him the second time he passed it. I don't know if that's been solved or proven false, but I do remember reading it a lot in the early threads. It may have been dealt with already. I'll find it and post when I do.

I kind of skimmed, but here is the first time I personally saw it mentioned. http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=220961&page=2 I hope that's correct. I'm new here, so if it doesn't go to the post, it's on that page.

A second car was mentioned in earlier threads being seen on the security camera a minute behind him the second time he passed it. I don't know if that's been solved or proven false, but I do remember reading it a lot in the early threads. It may have been dealt with already. I'll find it and post when I do.

IIRC it was fishermen and they didn't see Bryce or his car.

ALL just opinion

I have to say this makes a whole lotta sense. Especially with knowing all the information we do know. Hopefully he'll work it out and find his way back home.

ALL just opinion

Great first post! and :welcome6:

I'm going to be traveling to San Francisco for a pre-holiday trip, and since I'll have my young child, I HAVE to use the I-5 haha. Any other way and we'd have 8+ hours of "how much longer?" So, I'll drive right by castaic. I try and stop for dinner time here or lunch depending on when I decide to leave. Couldn't hurt to throw up a missing poster or two.

The trip from Castaic to the center of LA is 39.9 miles. Anyone familiar with the area down here knows once you are into Santa Clarita (10 miles) that you are in the never ending metropolitan area. It's city after city with LA all divided up. Even if you travel south out of LA towards me, you will still see 80-100 miles of cities touching, never ending.

I'm not trying to sound bleak, but if he's alive there needs to be a very thorough flyer/poster distribution. All those police stations AT LEAST.

I'm sad that he had the unfortunate experience of going missing so close to a metropolitan area. Maybe it wasn't unfortunate at all, but I really hope for his family and friend's sake that he makes SOME contact to let us know he's alive. And if he is held captive, I hope that he stays safe and warm.

We are looking for you, Bryce, because we really do care! I know I do, and I don't even know you. I have a child, and if she was gone for 1 hour without being located I would go crazy. It's been 3 whole months since you disappeared, but your family wants you home as much as they did the day you were born. Maybe even more now that they don't know if you are okay. If you are in trouble or have some problems, you can talk to a lot of people. You have the biggest support system behind you now, and I'm sure your mother would move mountains to help you. Please come out of the shadows if you can. We can give your privacy as long as we know you are safe. Here's hoping by Christmas, you'll be found <3

Your words of wisdom seem right on. What do you feel are the next steps to take?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

While I respect the opinions of other SAR individuals who have weighed in on this case, I still think that a grid search by a low level drone or light aircraft is still warranted if one or more organizations are willing to do so or if the parents wish to engage a paid service of this type.

If that comes up empty, the next logical step is to entice the media to put his face on the national news. If he is out there alive, it would be difficult to hide when the entire nation knows what you look like. The story on World News Tonight would garner a lot of attention, if even only a brief picture and blurb.

I keep thinking of all the lost and missing folks who have been found months or years later by hikers, hunters or trail runners.

I am on the other side of the country. Were I local, I would still be spending my weekends searching.

What is most frustrating is the silence by LE. If they know or suspect something and are not at least giving some signals, they risk wasting valuable man hours on what amounts to a wild goose chase. Since the family has not stated directly that they suspect his is hiding out elsewhere or have evidence that he left the area under his own power, I must assume this is still a SAR event with the cause being misadventure by his own hand or that of others.

IIRC it was fishermen and they didn't see Bryce or his car.

Yes the car that was behind Bryce was a fisherman and I believe he was an elderly man. He said he didn't see Bryce and didn't know anything about him.

ALL just opinion

Thanks for posting here. You are :welcome5:

However, I'm not sure how a possession of pot conviction plus being a college kid equates to the kind of intense, shadowy drug underworld connections you are inferring, especially one that would enable someone to disappear without a trace. I did drugs when I was young. I also went to college. I know plenty of people who did both and I'm also familiar with actual, real life shadowy drug underworld people. None of what I have seen here points to anything connected to a serious drug underworld.

Also, the police searched his car and stayed with him for 20 minutes, in Buttonwillow. They found no drugs and nothing suspicious. And if Bryce had been involved in such things, like dealing, there would have been a time, before he acquired "bat phones" that his behavior and connections would be traceable to his regular social media, e-mail and/or phones, via strange numbers or whatever.

Finally, Buttonwillow is quite a distance from Castaic and Bryce spoke to his mom around 2:00 a.m., minutes before his vehicle was seen going toward the lake. The second car was identified (old fisherman) and nothing came of that. His vehicle was spotted a second time going toward the lake at around 4:20 a.m. or so and then it was found at 5:30 a.m., 15 minutes after police arrived in the area for training exercises. Dogs traced human scent from his overturned vehicle, to the lake and later, traced Bryce's particular scent from the lake area, across the dam and out toward a parking area near the 5 freeway.

That indicates to me that no other car picked Bryce up at the scene of the crash or near it, because no other, unidentifiable car was seen on camera during the key times.

It also indicates, I think, that Bryce was on foot around the area of the lake. I dropped a pin near the area his vehicle was found, by main Ramp Road, and got directions on my iphone, on foot, to the nearest address to where his scent disappeared, which is a parking lot area in the recreation park. (I used an address of a building right across the street form the parking area, 32132, Castaic Lake Drive - a building surrounded by police cars, BTW. so it may be LE related).

Walking directions, which only allowed me to use Lake Hughes Road, from the dam, out, show 59 minutes (1 hour) walking to get out of the area and to the parking lot where his scent disappeared. I would imagine, going the back way around the lagoon from the dam, it would be quicker - probably closer to 40 minutes or so. And he could have easily avoided arriving police if he walked in the area around the dam, toward the lagoon and parking area (the other side of the lagoon, away from lake Hughes Road).

So, if he walked for 40 minutes to an hour, certainly no one was waiting for him at the crash site, helping him to crash his car.

While I respect the opinions of other SAR individuals who have weighed in on this case, I still think that a grid search by a low level drone or light aircraft is still warranted if one or more organizations are willing to do so or if the parents wish to engage a paid service of this type.

If that comes up empty, the next logical step is to entice the media to put his face on the national news. If he is out there alive, it would be difficult to hide when the entire nation knows what you look like. The story on World News Tonight would garner a lot of attention, if even only a brief picture and blurb.

I keep thinking of all the lost and missing folks who have been found months or years later by hikers, hunters or trail runners.

I am on the other side of the country. Were I local, I would still be spending my weekends searching.

What is most frustrating is the silence by LE. If they know or suspect something and are not at least giving some signals, they risk wasting valuable man hours on what amounts to a wild goose chase. Since the family has not stated directly that they suspect his is hiding out elsewhere or have evidence that he left the area under his own power, I must assume this is still a SAR event with the cause being misadventure by his own hand or that of others.

It's true. Remains/bodies are found quite a bit by hikers, bikers and motorists. Just look at the McStay family. They were found by a random motorcyclist, who just happened to stop on the side of the highway where there is nothing to stop for, and who just happened to wander from that highway, 50 yards into the brush. There was no trail there and no reason for anyone to be there. But they were found. And it does happen.

Publicity may help people to keep an eye out for remains. But I just thought of something: I can;t really recall any body being found months or years or whatever, after a disappearance, by someone not specifically looking for the decedent, due to publicity. They either stumble across a body or they don't.

Publicity sure as heck would help the public to find a live young man however.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pizzaguy