CA/Canada - Elisa Lam - 21 years old - Los Angeles/Vancouver - 31-Jan-2013 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ahh, okay - thanks for clearing that up. I am many things....a plumber is not one of them ;)

heehehe....I far from a plumber myself. I just read and article that was posted on how they work. Too much time on my hands huh?

Police just released or re-released this picture of Elisa. Makes me think they're going with a homicide investigation, looking for people who saw her in her last days.

The Associated Press ‏@AP
L.A. police release a photo of Canadian tourist Elisa Lam whose body was in a water cistern on a hotel roof: http://apne.ws/Xs1n6Q -MM
10:15 AM - Feb 21, 2013

6e27ef1b-7b45-4e39-a703-6407b8b40a00-big.jpg

Hi,

am from Singapore where not too long ago we had a body in the water tank case too. Registered to post what little I know and my pov hoping that it might be useful in some small way.

1. Some others have highlighted this but I am still stumped as to the purpose of revealing the elevator footage. What purpose does it serve? To spook the public? Or perhaps, it's not even related to her disappearance at all. Just some random recorded shot of her in the elevator? Is the elevator footage even relevant to her disappearance to begin with? The assumptions go on........

2. I have no idea if Elisa was in Vancouver all her life (where she would have acted like most canadians) or did she go to Vancouver as a child or in her teens (which would mean that she could have adopted some asian characteristics and mannerisms)

You see, as an asian/Singaporean, I could attest that many of our local girls including a large portion of girls from Malaysia, Hong Kong, Taiwan do talk in a cutesy manner which involves some form of arm flailing, gesticulation etc. It's not uncommon to see girls playing around the elevators, acting cute as we call it or having slightly exagerrated movements. It would be perfectly normal to us whereas it might seem exagerrated to others.

These exagerrated actions can be seen in alot of the youtube videos of singaporean, hk, taiwan, malaysian girls etc. It's quite the norm really. I would like to think that she looked playful, kinda teasing and acting cute in the video rather than spooky as some would call it.

3. In the recent case in 2011 where a maid was found stuffed in a water tank in Singapore it was reported that her body was discovered the same day it was put there by the bangladeshi worker. At most, only 24 hours would have passed between her being stuffed in the tank and the discovery. Eyewitnesses claimed they heard shouting and arguing the same morning.

In that 24 hours, many residents from the block reported that water from their tap turned yellowish, had a foul smell and was extra foamy.

Perhaps humid and hot singapore caused such rapid decomposition of the body. With this as a guideline, one can assume that bodies left in water does decompose fast. Even with L.A. cooler temperatures, how much longer could a body stay in the water tank before similar symptoms appear? 3 times longer? 4 times at most? Even then that would be no more than 3-4 days. A week in the tank would be the longest i guess.

But Elisa was "missing" for 3 weeks! What happened to the other 2 weeks? The time between the elevator footage when she was allegedly last seen and the time she was found. Deduct one week max from the time she was found as thats probably as long as she could stay in the tank before the water turned putrid. (remember, in singapore the water turned putrid when the body was in the tank for less than 24 hours).

There's about a good 2 weeks thats unaccounted for.

I do not think that the elevator cctv was showing her last days and that the date of the elevator cctv clip was the day she ended up in the water tank. If that were true, the water problem wouldve shown up earlier.

I'm curious as to what happened to her between the elevator cctv clip and the time she was found in the water tank, minus the time it took for her decomposed body to affect a change in the water pressure and quality that warranted the subsequent search that led to the discovery of her body in the tank.

Another tourist missing:

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8902958#post8902958"]CA Hollywood/Israel - Syril Zimand, 28, aspiring filmmaker - ?? November 2012 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

ETA: Sorry - disregard - found safe already...thankfully... :blush:

i forgot to add that some have speculated that she was drugged, in a trance and that Elisa probably went to the top floor, pass the stairs, to the roof, up a ladder and into the water tank herself.

Wouldn't it be easier if she was drugged or in a trance to have fallen down the fire escape, or probably climbed out her window or even, jaywalk across the road? Surely all these would be easier to do even in a trance as opposed to making her way to the roof, up some ladder and into the tank?

The opening at the top of the cistern is too small to accommodate firefighters and equipment, so they had to cut a hole in the storage tank to recover Lam’s body.

The cisterns are on a platform at least three metres above the roof.

To get to the tanks, someone would have to go to the top floor then take a staircase with a locked door and emergency alarm preventing roof access.

Another ladder would have to be taken to the platform and a person would have to climb the side of the tank.

Lopez said there are no security cameras on the roof.

http://www.thestar.com/news/world/2..._canadian_tourist_found_in_la_hotel_tank.html

Hi,

am from Singapore where not too long ago we had a body in the water tank case too. Registered to post what little I know and my pov hoping that it might be useful in some small way.

1. Some others have highlighted this but I am still stumped as to the purpose of revealing the elevator footage. What purpose does it serve? To spook the public? Or perhaps, it's not even related to her disappearance at all. Just some random recorded shot of her in the elevator? Is the elevator footage even relevant to her disappearance to begin with? The assumptions go on........

2. I have no idea if Elisa was in Vancouver all her life (where she would have acted like most canadians) or did she go to Vancouver as a child or in her teens (which would mean that she could have adopted some asian characteristics and mannerisms)

You see, as an asian/Singaporean, I could attest that many of our local girls including a large portion of girls from Malaysia, Hong Kong, Taiwan do talk in a cutesy manner which involves some form of arm flailing, gesticulation etc. It's not uncommon to see girls playing around the elevators, acting cute as we call it or having slightly exagerrated movements. It would be perfectly normal to us whereas it might seem exagerrated to others.

These exagerrated actions can be seen in alot of the youtube videos of singaporean, hk, taiwan, malaysian girls etc. It's quite the norm really. I would like to think that she looked playful, kinda teasing and acting cute in the video rather than spooky as some would call it.

3. In the recent case in 2011 where a maid was found stuffed in a water tank in Singapore it was reported that her body was discovered the same day it was put there by the bangladeshi worker. At most, only 24 hours would have passed between her being stuffed in the tank and the discovery. Eyewitnesses claimed they heard shouting and arguing the same morning.

In that 24 hours, many residents from the block reported that water from their tap turned yellowish, had a foul smell and was extra foamy.

Perhaps humid and hot singapore caused such rapid decomposition of the body. With this as a guideline, one can assume that bodies left in water does decompose fast. Even with L.A. cooler temperatures, how much longer could a body stay in the water tank before similar symptoms appear? 3 times longer? 4 times at most? Even then that would be no more than 3-4 days. A week in the tank would be the longest i guess.

But Elisa was "missing" for 3 weeks! What happened to the other 2 weeks? The time between the elevator footage when she was allegedly last seen and the time she was found. Deduct one week max from the time she was found as thats probably as long as she could stay in the tank before the water turned putrid. (remember, in singapore the water turned putrid when the body was in the tank for less than 24 hours).

There's about a good 2 weeks thats unaccounted for.

I do not think that the elevator cctv was showing her last days and that the date of the elevator cctv clip was the day she ended up in the water tank. If that were true, the water problem wouldve shown up earlier.

I'm curious as to what happened to her between the elevator cctv clip and the time she was found in the water tank, minus the time it took for her decomposed body to affect a change in the water pressure and quality that warranted the subsequent search that led to the discovery of her body in the tank.

Welcome to WS!!

My opinion is it was released because it could have been the last time she would have been seen in the hotel, by the public. Its the last record they have of her. I don't find it at all strange. Seen that done many times. It helps people to remember

And TY for your insights on her odd behavior

Just getting up to speed on this one.... RIP Elisa.

Watching the video, it looks to me like she is pushing numerous buttons, kind of in a pattern... At first i thought she is high / drunk / in some type of altered state, and she is kind playing like as if she is entering a secret code that will "beam her up" then I thought about it and did some googling and voila! What is she is entering some type of elevator hack code, or trying to... She tries it, it doesn't work, she looks to see if anyone is there, nope... Tries is again, or get's out and talks to someone... While she looks to be talking to someone, it's like she is reciting steps to something, almost like she is counting on her fingers... "I tried *advertiser censored* (one finger), I tried Blah Blah (second finger,) etc.

Could someone have been giving her elevator codes?
http://cons.wonderhowto.com/how-to/hack-elevator-go-directly-your-floor-218650/

Could the sequence have gone like this;
UK = Unknown person
EL = Elisa Lam
UK - hey you, wanna check out the roof, it's pretty cool
EL - oh I don't think thats a good idea
UK - it is, but we have to be very secretive about it
EL - ok lets go tonight
UK - OK, I will give you a special code to get you there for the elevator
EL - Ok, but I am scared to get caught (hence the double checking and hiding in the elevator)
UK - you won't, but you have to do it alone, i could get in trouble for showing you
EL - ok, let's me tonight

Possible?

Hello, this is my first time posting, I joined because of this case. I've been reading the news, watched the video and read this forum for the past 2 days. I decided to post some of my thoughts. There were some really good points made. Sorry if this gets long..I have so many thoughts on this...

First my comments on the video, I have found that the more I watch it the more my opinion changes. I have however always felt that her behavoir changed part way through the video. The first time she gets in the elevator, although acting quirky (with the way she bends down to push the button and her hand movement), she doesn't seem agitated, more playful. But the second time she come back in holding both sides of the elevator and her body actions to me seems more troublesome and she seems stressed/agitated/frustrated or something. It does appear that she is a) either under the influence of something (a substance) b) in a psychotic state c) in shock

I think there is someone outside the elevator when she is talking and with her hand movements she seems to me to be refering to not being able to get the elevator door to close or refering to going into the elevator or something like that. I also think when it looks like she is 'counting' she is 'recounting' Like "First this happend, then this" or something like "There are the reasons Im' acting this way, first...blah blah , second blah blah" It also seems like she might be frustrated near the end.

I'm guessing she is on the 14th floor and presses 14, which does not stay lit because she is on that floor, then 10, 7, 4 and M. I think someone mentioned she was staying on the 4th floor, maybe that is why she chose only the middle floor buttons, and was hoping to confuse someone as to which floor she was going to. Also, it does seem like she is not thinking, or doesn't know what floor she is on because she presses the top button (which is the floor she is on), to me it doesn't look like she presses the door open button. I cannot figure out why the elevator stays open but I do see how it goes to shut and then opens again. I think someone may have pressed it from the outside and ran and hid. I'm confused about this part, as to why it's not shutting. But I am thinking that maybe she was up on 14 to visit someone's room she met while there, then they were 'messing' with her (hiding, and/or pushing the button so the elevator door can't close)or something along those lines?

As for getting into the water tank, I was thinking that maybe she was forced to go up on the roof by someone. I did see a picture somewhere ( I can't find it now) of how the fire escape seems to go to the roof. Maybe that is how she was forced up there? Also, as someone else mentioned, it seems like they/she/ etc, could have gone up the red ladder onto the highest point on the roof and jumped and lowered onto the water tank from there.

Also concerning her glasses, doesn't anyone know if she always wears her glasses or even had them with her on the trip? If so, maybe she is the type of person who takes them off when she's not watching TV, or something she needs them for, or maybe she has contacts?

I think that is all for now, sorry I wrote a novel.

BBM - Thank you for this, The Cheese. I think it's strange that she was talked about as charismatic, running down the stairs, bouncing, memorable; yet, I haven't seen any quotes from guests or staff at the Cecil saying anything like this at all. In fact, the last staff to see her (the host and someone else, IIRC) said she was never seen with anyone. That's it. It's almost as if it's 2 different people. Didn't anyone see this side of her after being there for 4 or 5 days??? Why do we not know anything about her stay there? I just think it's a bit strange, FWIW.

I am outgoing, and when I stayed at the Cecil almost 2 years ago now, I was alone. I am female. That place is honestly like staying at the Shining Hotel. I rarely saw the staff, let alone interacted with them. It's huge. The elevators are not visible from the front desk. You can pretty much come and go without being noticed.

The video footage was Jan 31st. She was seen after the elevator event by two hotel workers who said she seemed fine. All hotel workers who interacted with her through her stay at the hostel said she seemed fine.

LAPD says nothing like this has ever happened before, that she's never been in trouble, that she didn't use drugs, that she has no history of mental illness, that she had only a mild depression.

Personally, I think Elisa was acting frightened in the elevator, not psychotic or drugged. I can't see her being fine through her stay for 4 days, then going psychotic in the elevator for just 3 minutes, then being fine again, whether drugged or not.

With no reports of any other problems ever, I believe that 3 minutes of mildly unusual behavior in the elevator were from fright and concern.

I really hope the autopsy today will give us some answers about what happened to her, one way or another.

:twocents: :twocents: :twocents:

Just getting up to speed on this one.... RIP Elisa.

Watching the video, it looks to me like she is pushing numerous buttons, kind of in a pattern... At first i thought she is high / drunk / in some type of altered state, and she is kind playing like as if she is entering a secret code that will "beam her up" then I thought about it and did some googling and voila! What is she is entering some type of elevator hack code, or trying to... She tries it, it doesn't work, she looks to see if anyone is there, nope... Tries is again, or get's out and talks to someone... While she looks to be talking to someone, it's like she is reciting steps to something, almost like she is counting on her fingers... "I tried *advertiser censored* (one finger), I tried Blah Blah (second finger,) etc.

Could someone have been giving her elevator codes?
http://cons.wonderhowto.com/how-to/hack-elevator-go-directly-your-floor-218650/

Could the sequence have gone like this;
UK = Unknown person
EL = Elisa Lam
UK - hey you, wanna check out the roof, it's pretty cool
EL - oh I don't think thats a good idea
UK - it is, but we have to be very secretive about it
EL - ok lets go tonight
UK - OK, I will give you a special code to get you there for the elevator
EL - Ok, but I am scared to get caught (hence the double checking and hiding in the elevator)
UK - you won't, but you have to do it alone, i could get in trouble for showing you
EL - ok, let's me tonight

Possible?

This was my immediate thought as well since I have read that you can press certain buttons and its supposed to do certain things when you are on an elevator. It could have been that someone told her to try it and they would keep look out for her while she checked to see if it worked it wasnt working so she was popping out and perhaps she didnt see the person she was talking to so she went back in to wait to see what happens when nothing happened she came out again and the person was back and she was telling them it didnt work.

I was curious because it looks like she has on basketball shorts and a hoodie with maybe nike shoes so it didnt look to me as though she was planning on leaving the hotel it was more like comfy walk around clothes.

The only thing I could think of besides that was maybe she was playing hide and seek with someone and so she pressed the middle buttons so as to skip a few floors to make it harder for them to find her

Using her Facebook screen name (remember, everyone had one in the beginning, like Myspace?) identified in this thread and in news outlets, I was able to find what appear to be Elisa's Twitter account, Tumblr page, Formspring and Blogger profile. I'm not linking to all of them in order to protect her privacy, as I did not see anything on those pages that provided any tangible clues as to what happened to her in Los Angeles. They aren't hard to find if you do a little digging.

I do, however, believe I have solved the mystery as to why she went to Los Angeles in the first place:

<Snipped to remove negative remarks about Elisa in this victim friendly forum so as not to violate TOS.>

Could you please provide the links to her blog and other social media, as well as how you verified these were her accounts and not someone else's? Since you're saying negative things about her, I'd like to read these social media postings of hers, if indeed they are verified to be hers, and form my own opinion. Thanks.

This girl didn't suffer from psychosis... no offense, but that's a ridiculous theory if you've done your homework on this case, IMO. If you've done any research at all on her background, those types of serious conditions simply don't fit her profile. "May have suffered from depression" to full blown mania is a pretty freaking steep hill to climb.

She is clearly on some type of hallucinogen, MDMA or both.

This girl was likely given the drugs by the *advertiser censored* who murdered her, and you can't convince me for a second that this was an accidental death.

*Behavior consistent with a drugged girl "tripping balls" (I am confident the autopsy will prove this soon)
*Tremendously loud noise heard from her room the night she disappeared
*Naked body, with no trace of the clothes
*The water tank she was found in had an opening slightly larger than a shoebox, and was only 3/4 of the way full

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pacobasal