CA/Canada - Elisa Lam - 21 years old - Los Angeles/Vancouver - 31-Jan-2013 - #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If EL was raped would being in the water tank affect that evidence or would they still be able to tell after all that time in the water or get DNA evidence? Anyone know?? :waitasec:

Unless her body was so decomposed, there's no reason LE could not find any evidence of sexual assault on her body. Since they assert there was no signs of trauma or injury, that means they found no evidence of sexual assault either.

Agreed. It's ironic how the new (as of 2008) owner seems to have wanted restore the hotel (he added "Stay" if I'm not mistaken), help gentrify the area, etc. In his responses to some of the many online complaints about the Cecil/Stay (pre-Elisa), he comes off as pretty defensive, like "that was the old Cecil; now it's under new ownership, etc."

But when you think about it, it appears that they just slapped a fresh coat of paint on the rooms, tried (unsuccessfully) to remove some of the long-term residents, and added Stay (which looks nice on the website but is still located within the Cecil). Did he increase security, add cameras, or do anything else to actually make the place safer? Not that I can tell.
I just had a look at their website. http://www.thececilhotel.com/

It says "By making an online reservation on The Cecil Hotel you are guaranteed to obtain the best rate available – this is our absolute promise to you." on their front page.

I guess they are not promising security then... just "the best rate"...

Yikes, if the water has been doing that for years i Hope they checked the other water tanks too. :what:

The water hasn't been black/smelly for years (I hope!), but I did read a slew of complaints on Yelp, TripAdvisor, etc., where people complained about the water pressure and inability to get hot water. Probably because it's an old building. Doesn't sound like the staff did much about it then. Maybe it took especially disgusting water for them to act now? I'll try to dig up some links.

While searching for reviews on Yelp about the water situation, I came across this review from 2011. I thought his comments about 1) the key/room issue and 2) the 14th floor were interesting. (Sorry if this has already been posted! I've been following since day one but didn't remember seeing this.)

http://www.yelp.com/biz/cecil-hotel-los-angeles

"Upon my arrival, I was told that although they received my reservation, they had no rooms with showers left. Their system only showed 2 rooms which were dirty. So I asked for a refund so I could be on my way but they said their system was unable to process that request and that I would need to go through http://kayak.com to get it. So I gave kayak a call, and they called the hotel only to find that the front desk mysteriously found clean rooms! Walking back to the front desk, apparently their system was not working correctly and that the dirty rooms were actually cleaned. So I took the room key and went upstairs to check out my room. When I got to my room, I tried opening the door but it was latch locked from the inside. Grumbling, I went back to the front desk and they offered me the other room and they also sent a security person to check out the room. The security guy kept asking me if I had went to the wrong room which is just funny because how many keys open the same room? The room door had opened, it was just that there was a security latch preventing me from opening it up the whole way so I could walk in. Regardless, when we got there, the key opened up the room this time and there was no locked latch. I thought to myself, maybe that was room service cleaning the room?

Speaking of the room. It was one on the 14th floor which I was told was one of the better areas to get a room. The 9th floor was my other option and I was told that it would not be as nice. The room was small, the queen sized bed had one of those really old and nasty bed covers that have those weird muddy color patterns. Underneath though, were plain white bed sheets which I thought was good since they could just bleach everything they'd wash, killing any bugs that might resist a normal wash cycle. Bathroom was the same with white towels everywhere. The shower and sink was a very interesting element though. The sink was IN THE SHOWER opposite the shower head. Just really had not seen that before...

So in the end, was it as bad as other Yelpers claim? Probably not. It felt safe and was reasonably clean. It did feel dated and with everyone making comments about bugs and what not, I even slept with a towel over my pillow. Not my best hotel experience but tolerable if you want to save $100-$150 to spend elsewhere.

Looks like she reblogged it from a friend who posted it on Jan 15th.

Not sure what the date significance is (it might have just been something as arbitrary as, "Mar 1st sounds far enough in the future to post this").

Interesting how all three of the non-typical-queue posts have a theme of alienation.

I wonder if there's any more left to come. It must be somewhat spooky/sad for her friends to see her on their feed like this. :(

The new Tumblr post is a reblog of a Virginia Woolf quote. We all know how Virginia Woolf died, right? She drowned herself in a river and stuffed her pockets with rocks to weigh herself down.

Another creepy coincidence, I guess. I'm not suggesting that EL killed herself--not at all--but I'm not ruling out the possibility of something strange going on with her Tumblr. Despite the fact that I know how the queuing in advance feature works, the number of queued posts, the sporadic pattern and volume in which they've appeared, and most recently, the nature of of the posts themselves...is strange.

First, you don't need to know Spanish to copy someone else's graffiti.

Second, high schools in the US are required to take foreign language classes.

Third, it looks like chalk, not spray paint. In any case, things like these may have been left behind by other roof top users.

Finally, IF and only IF EL was as high as a kite and had written the graffiti on tank which resembles her handwriting, then it's not hard to imagine she might have copied the other graffiti, rearranging the words and putting a creative twist on it too.

Why would you copy it? Why not copy "Booger"?

She is Canadian, they don't teach Spanish, nor am I aware that she knew any.

Chalk would have washed off by the rain. And notice how some of the letters "drip".

I don't see the resemblance to her handwriting.

The last two tumblr posts have appeared at midnight, Vancouver time. So it's safe to say it's automated and there isn't another person using her tumblr.

The content of those posts is disturbing though. Let's hope the next one is some funny GIF from a sitcom or something like that.

This is a repost from elsewhere, hope that's ok. It's from a man who knew her growing up. Sad.

<modsnip>

http://www.reddit.com/r/depression/..._lam_found_dead_in_a_water_cistern_on_top_of/

Oh...That is heartbreaking...I can imagine lots of people are going through that same thing.

This case is most interesting to me because I travelled maybe not when I was 21, but a few years later. I travelled all over Europe and stayed in some sketchy places, and some ok places. I met a friend who I had only known online - that was a big risk, but luckily, he ended up being a great guy and we are best friends. But to think...I could have ended up in a situation like this, a girl traveling alone, assaulted (IF Elisa was murdered, I'm not saying she was because I don't have enough evidence to say so)...I remember walking under a busy street in Riga, Latvia at like 2 in the morning to get to a hostel so I could stay the night before a flight back to Germany, and feeling creeped out because there was someone walking behind me and I couldn't see their face and the corridor was only dimly lit. I feel like I took some big chances in my traveling life, and lucky for me, nothing happened, but...This case shows that these kinds of things happen ALL. THE. TIME.

So sad.

Ramble over. Sorry. :blushing:

Did you notice a break in the Tumblr postings on Feb 1? There's a section just for Feb 1 (minus one Feb 1 repost.) Then Feb continues in a separate section, with one Feb 1 repost, then reposts up to Feb 18th. Then the single Feb 27th repost.

Not understanding Tumblr, I'm wondering why most of Feb 1 would be separated from the rest of Feb?

I did not notice that...But I was thinking about qeueing (SP?) your posts on Tumblr...What if there are posts that are still going to show up that could really shed some light on the case? Like she's almost speaking to us from the dead? (But not really, because...Come on. :p ) It will be very interesting to see what happens.

...Or do you think LE has already hacked into her account to look at that kind of thing?

Yikes, if the water has been doing that for years i Hope they checked the other water tanks too. :what:

Here are some reviews (obviously only the bad ones; others were positive) mentioning water issues. Other reviews mention foul smells in the hotel. All the reviews posted here are from before January 2013 (mainly 2011-2012). (More than one on Yelp mentions poo in the hallway. Eek!) I travel a lot and sometimes stay in sketchy areas, so I take reviews with a grain of salt, but I think the comments here are interesting in light of Elisa's case.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g32655-d276208-Reviews-Cecil_Hotel-Los_Angeles_California.html

There was a nasty looking rusty sink in one corner with awful smelling water…

The rooms are very basic, with dated furnishings and bars on the window. It was also evident that a previous stayer had mistaken the wardrobe for a toilet! The shared showers were also poor, with the tap coming off in my hand and brown water trickling out to begin with...

The staff was friendly all the time and they really try to get better. Hallways were painted for example while I was there. (Interesting about the paint—no idea if it was repainted a different color; this is from October 2012.)

Hot water is the only issue we had.. it took 10 minutes to get it up to us on the 14th floor. Fortunately it was hot which meant a coolish shower was welcoming.

The elevator was s-l-o-w… At 7am, I wanted to use the free internet (probably the only good thing the hotel had to offer) however the doors to get out into the main lobby did not open till 8am. And....the hot water did not work!

Best choice for youngsters in downtown LA, great location, really nice staff, (mexicans mostly), and great hip atmosphere surrounds the old building. [Not to get on the “aggressive Mexican” thing, but EL did mention them in general on her Tumblr.]

There are 15 floors and the elevator takes a long time in the morning as it stops on every floor. [Randomly interesting about elevator speed]

[This person mentions the vents in the showers, as well as this interesting tidbit about an employee talking about the hotel being “haunted”]: But upon checking out, I asked the guy working if the hotel was haunted. He had a look on his face as if we were already supposed to know, & said so casually, YES. We started laughing because we thought he was joking around, but I asked why? He says, "Well this hotel has been around since the 1920's & there have been murders & suicides throughout the years.."

[About Cecil residents being able to get into Stay]: While Stay rents a few floors and all in all isn't a bad hostel choice, it shares stairways and elevators with the Cecil and the occupants of the Cecil are FAR from the cheerful international travel bunch that frequent hotels. There is nothing to keep the unsavory occupants of the Cecil from going onto a STAY floor.

Employees are very(!) unfriendly! if you have a problem in your room, the just say= ok, will fix it. but after 3 weeks not even a check by an plumber. [also mentions shower water coming “drop by drop”]

There always seems to be some sort of maid or handy man in the small, poorly painted elevators and that made me uneasy. Are there no service elevators. These people always seemed unhappy like they hated life… The young man at the front desk was helpful and helped me find a few things downtown. I think he was helpful because I was a young girl flirting though and not because it was his job.

I apologize in advance if this has already been posted.

2 previous hotel guests are trying to start a class action lawsuit against the hotel.

>>For as long as 19 days, Elisa Lam's decomposing body was in one of the hotel's four cisterns while the Cotts and other guests below drank cups of water, bathed and brushed their teeth.

>>The lawsuit claims the hotel effectively contracted with its guests to provide water "fit for human ingestion and human consumption through showering" -- an obligation that the Cotts allege the hotel did not meet. - See more at: http://www.wptv.com/dpp/news/nation...rpse-found-in-water-tank#sthash.Fsb5r10G.dpuf

The case is still on going, do you think these people are suing too soon? Especially since they haven't determined exactly how long Elisa was in the tank for or her cause of death.

I think you're onto something jellybeanz...

I found some graffiti too ... look here :

http://www.flickr.com/photos/44033670@N02/5641028631

It says on the rim of this bin, "HER.HER.HER. SUMA SUMA HER HER."

Doesn't make sense to me much... but whatever "Suma" and "Her" mean when put together, it clearly means something to some of these graffiti artists...

I looked at the person who posted this pic to see where he/she might come from. Can't find anything. But on this picture of another graffiti on his/her account

[ame="http://www.flickr.com/photos/44033670@N02/5641111311/"]Devol Kayo Behvse Marq Tapa Rash Rock | Flickr - Photo Sharing![/ame]

There is a sticker on that bin (?) that says "Republic Services 735-5151" and a quick Google found that this is the sticker of a company called Republic Services (http://www.republicservicesvegas.com/Pages/Home_St.aspx) located in Las Vegas.

It's only human to want to see patterns everywhere.
We want to make sense of the world. So we go looking for patterns, similarities, etc.

Its like when you look in hindsight, it seems ironic that the last bookstore Elisa went to is called the "Last Bookstore". If she was alive and well now, nobody would think anything of that bookstore other than it had an unusual name.

I think this an important point. Human brains have a strong tendency to look for patterns, and to see them even when they don't exist.

Show a person a random collection of, dots, and that person will tend to see something in it--a face, and animal, etc... It's just part of the way we process information, and we are often "fooled by randomness."

So, knowing that, I would gently advise some contributors here who are advancing theories many of us consider far-fetched to do some soul-searching. Isn't it possible that you are putting to much weight on things that could be mere coincidences? Doesn't it seem reasonable, as OCSlacker and Kalliste among others have done, to try to focus on the more plausible scenarios than the ones that depend upon bible verses, the invisible light conspiracies, organic food cults, the supernatural, and so on?

I say that as someone who is at least open to some of these explanations. I don't entirely discount the possibility of the Cecil being haunted, for example. But I think it's rational to try to find more worldly and prosaic explanation first...

Just to be clear, though, I'm not trying to moderate the thread or stifle anyone. Just offering some advice. I think it's reasonable to at least consider even some seemingly outlandish theories, but not to focus on them as the likely answers.

So basically he says that there are cameras in every hallway of the hotel.

This contradicts quite a few other people's reports.

The few Chinese amateurs who went there on separate visits said they tried looking everywhere in the hallways of the 14th floor and couldn't find a single surveillance camera.

Well if there are security cameras on every floor...Doesn't mean they all work. I could see a cheap hotel like this with half assed security putting fake cameras on some floors just to make people think they're being filmed. Lots of places do that.

Some graffiti. Fecto/Fekto appears to be an artist? Ive seen tags for LA and Vegas.

Respectfully snipped...

It looks like Fekto is a person then, because one of the comments was "I know Fekto." I wonder if LE has thought of this, or if it's wise to bring it to their attention?

Though, I'm starting to lean towards what other people have said...The graffiti has nothing to do with the case. I'm sure this Fekto guy just wanted to go to the famous Cecil Hotel and do some tagging on the roof.

Here are some reviews (obviously only the bad ones; others were positive) mentioning water issues. Other reviews mention foul smells in the hotel. All the reviews posted here are from before January 2013 (mainly 2011-2012). (More than one on Yelp mentions poo in the hallway. Eek!) I travel a lot and sometimes stay in sketchy areas, so I take reviews with a grain of salt, but I think the comments here are interesting in light of Elisa's case.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g32655-d276208-Reviews-Cecil_Hotel-Los_Angeles_California.html

There was a nasty looking rusty sink in one corner with awful smelling water…[/

The rooms are very basic, with dated furnishings and bars on the window. It was also evident that a previous stayer had mistaken the wardrobe for a toilet! The shared showers were also poor, with the tap coming off in my hand and brown water trickling out to begin with...

The staff was friendly all the time and they really try to get better. Hallways were painted for example while I was there. (Interesting about the paint—no idea if it was repainted a different color; this is from October 2012.)

Hot water is the only issue we had.. it took 10 minutes to get it up to us on the 14th floor. Fortunately it was hot which meant a coolish shower was welcoming.

The elevator was s-l-o-w… At 7am, I wanted to use the free internet (probably the only good thing the hotel had to offer) however the doors to get out into the main lobby did not open till 8am. And....the hot water did not work!

Best choice for youngsters in downtown LA, great location, really nice staff, (mexicans mostly), and great hip atmosphere surrounds the old building. [Not to get on the “aggressive Mexican” thing, but EL did mention them in general on her Tumblr.]

There are 15 floors and the elevator takes a long time in the morning as it stops on every floor. [Randomly interesting about elevator speed]

[This person mentions the vents in the showers, as well as this interesting tidbit about an employee talking about the hotel being “haunted”]: But upon checking out, I asked the guy working if the hotel was haunted. He had a look on his face as if we were already supposed to know, & said so casually, YES. We started laughing because we thought he was joking around, but I asked why? He says, "Well this hotel has been around since the 1920's & there have been murders & suicides throughout the years.."

[About Cecil residents being able to get into Stay]: While Stay rents a few floors and all in all isn't a bad hostel choice, it shares stairways and elevators with the Cecil and the occupants of the Cecil are FAR from the cheerful international travel bunch that frequent hotels. There is nothing to keep the unsavory occupants of the Cecil from going onto a STAY floor.

Employees are very(!) unfriendly! if you have a problem in your room, the just say= ok, will fix it. but after 3 weeks not even a check by an plumber. [also mentions shower water coming “drop by drop”]

There always seems to be some sort of maid or handy man in the small, poorly painted elevators and that made me uneasy. Are there no service elevators. These people always seemed unhappy like they hated life… The young man at the front desk was helpful and helped me find a few things downtown. I think he was helpful because I was a young girl flirting though and not because it was his job.

Thanks for that info. .... Ugh, it just sounds like a horrible place to me, I'm sorry. Don't mean to offend anyone that's stayed there and liked it. I just can't imagine being her age and traveling alone like that especially in such a shady place right near skid row. When I went anywhere that young, I always traveled with friends. I don't get it. I don't understand why she did this and never will I guess because I wasn't the kind of girl to travel alone. :notgood: I just feel so bad for her family.

In past threads, people had mentioned seeing pictures she posted of her trip, possibly on Tumblr or Flickr? Does anyone have those links?

Yes, I'm not pressing the graffiti angle (although I wrote a loong post on it last night.) I am curious about the spelling difference between Fecto and Fekto. If Fekto is a tag name (and someone posted many "Fekto" tags in LV), I'm guessing the person who wrote "Fecto" on the pump would be different. Different font, and a tagger probably wouldn't misspell his/her own tag. Maybe someone copying someone else's graffiti (Although "Fekto" on the glass seems to switch handwriting for one word for some reason.)

Respectfully snipped...

It looks like Fekto is a person then, because one of the comments was "I know Fekto." I wonder if LE has thought of this, or if it's wise to bring it to their attention?

Though, I'm starting to lean towards what other people have said...The graffiti has nothing to do with the case. I'm sure this Fekto guy just wanted to go to the famous Cecil Hotel and do some tagging on the roof.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kaffro