CA/Canada - Elisa Lam - 21 years old - Los Angeles/Vancouver - 31-Jan-2013 - #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand about use of nicknames and vandalism. Ty. If the graffiti was just tagging 4 different people, then you're saying not only Feckto and Suma are nicknames, but also Her and C*nt?

I'm more prone to believe the 4 words "Fecto c*nt her suma" were used in conjunction to form a phrase.

But our disparate opinions may be entirely irrelevant until LE confirms she wrote the graffiti on the tank.

You and others focusing on significance to the graffiti might want to weigh more heavily the info the Southern Californians, among others familiar with graffiti, are trying to pass along:
A Chinese-Canadian girl did not write the graffiti in question. That graffiti has multiple cultural identifiers that are obvious in the context: guy gangs,mostly Hispanic, stylized font and presentation (so stylized that no newbie copied it either)and with content that belongs to a distinct subculture that was not in the world of Elisa Lam.

Respectfully snipped for relevance.
does anyone think she may be disoriented and accidentally pressed the intercom or emergency button? They say she
may have been very near blind without her thick glasses on, so....maybe she accidentally pressed the intercom button.

Interesting theory about the intercom.

I'm still not clear on the glasses. Has it been confirmed that her vision was that poor or is that just conjecture from this board? (I've seen a lot of back and forth but nothing confirmed.) I will say though that I have similar glasses and they're not at all thick (I can certainly see without them, but everyone is different.) Do we know if she was near- or far-sighted, and if so, how badly?

Yeah, I don't like Tumblr. Looks like a linear mess (sheets and sheets of posts and reposts) and it takes forever to load up. However, I hear it's really popular with the teens. Guess that makes me an old fogey. :notgood:

I've only read through her Tumblr backwards to early Dec 2012. It's a pain for me to scroll backwards in time and visually filter out her posts. After a while, you get a good feeling which block to click on. Compare this original post: http://nouvelle-nouveau.tumblr.com/post/41786151020/i-have-arrived-in-laland-and-there-is-a

to this repost:
http://nouvelle-nouveau.tumblr.com/post/41761471597/calalilies-my-laptop-screen-is-brighter-than-my

The original notes on the right that

"This post has 3 notes
This was posted 1 month ago
This has been tagged with #interwar #what is your opinion on such matters? #caliblah #wheeee it's sunny"

The repost notes on the right that

"This post has 155,495 notes
This was posted 1 month ago
This was reblogged from thatwasntverycleverstempurl
http://calalilies.tumblr.com/post/38594639572/my-l... "

The "reblogged" tells you it came from somewhere else.

There's also a hyperlink to another user above the main text.

As for the L4D/L4D2 (I played a good deal of this 2 years ago), I haven't seen the reference yet, but there's a lot of blog stuff I didn't go through (on her Tumblr and on her older Blogger (http://etherfields.blogspot.com/) ).

I do recall two video game references in her blogs/tumblr. One was about PS3 and her ex-bf/ex-bf's friends.

Tried to find the Left For Dead reference on tumblr, but it's not showing anything specific...Tumblr is confusing me. People had found posts of her writing, but when I go directly to her tumblr page, I'm having a hard time finding actual posts she has written. I just see pictures she has posted and reblogs. So maybe I'm missing something here.

I have to wonder where the people who made that video got their information. For all we know, they're pulling stuff out of the air. I am so wary of people not citing any sources.

I understand about use of nicknames and vandalism. Ty. If the graffiti was just tagging 4 different people, then you're saying not only Feckto and Suma are nicknames, but also Her and C*nt?

I'm more prone to believe the 4 words "Fecto c*nt her suma" were used in conjunction to form a phrase.

But our disparate opinions may be entirely irrelevant until LE confirms she wrote the graffiti on the tank.

Yeah it's possible that those are someones tags. It's an offensive word but that doesn't mean someone wouldn't use it as their tag for the shock value. When I was younger I knew quite a few girl taggers, I'm female and hung around people who's tags were MJ, Little, It Girl, Delish, ,GirlyG and Schooly D. People choose their tags for a number of reasons. Maybe they are just dumb as Dirt and couldn't think of anything but initials or maybe the person has been called a c$%t ,wears it like a badge of honor and uses the tag for the shock value.

Who knows! But IMO looking deeper into It is like beating a dead horse. What you wanna do is cool and I respect that. But I find it highly unlikely EL wrote those, whether copied from another tag or not. Was she known to tag? Her tumblr shows no posts with interest in tagging / graffiti from what I've seen. Have they found spray paint,markers anything on the roof to indicate it was recent and possible she was involved? They have one postcard that supposedly she wrote, with similar handwriting but not exact, no known history of tagging or even an interest in that world and a couple of tags that could have been there for at least a year.

I'm not trying to say you can't have your thoughts on it. Please don't misunderstand and quite frankly I regret getting involved in this discussion and prefer to have nothing to do with it in the future. Was just giving some info on tagging to start and who might frequent the roof..

As a former glasses wearer, I can tell that she definitely needed prescription lenses. That is, her glasses were not cosmetic. You can tell by the distortion on the right side (our left) of her face behind her right eyeglass lens:

Elisa_Lam_20130221094201_320_240.JPG

I'm leaning towards her prescription being pretty strong, based on the distortion and most young folks suffer from near sightedness rather than far sightedness.

Respectfully snipped for relevance.

Interesting theory about the intercom.

I'm still not clear on the glasses. Has it been confirmed that her vision was that poor or is that just conjecture from this board? (I've seen a lot of back and forth but nothing confirmed.) I will say though that I have similar glasses and they're not at all thick (I can certainly see without them, but everyone is different.) Do we know if she was near- or far-sighted, and if so, how badly?

As a former glasses wearer, I can tell that she definitely needed prescription lenses. That is, her glasses were not cosmetic. You can tell by the distortion on the right side (our left) of her face behind her right eyeglass lens:

I'm leaning towards her prescription being pretty strong, based on the distortion and most young folks suffer from near sightedness rather than far sightedness.

I agree that they were not cosmetic, but I just wonder if her vision is as poor as many believe. (I think you mean that she was far-sighted? If she was near-sighted--as I am--she could see close objects but not distance, which wouldn't explain her behavior with the elevator buttons.)

An old friend of her wrote (in this thread, I think), that she was near-sighted and therefore had to wear contacts.

The picture, you've quoted, looks as if she was around 15/16 back then.

No, I'm saying that I believe she was near sighted (ie: had myopia) and needed glasses to see anything of distance (what that distance would be, I don't know.)

Near sightedness is more prevalent then far sightedness so I'm just leaning towards probability/stats.

Perhaps an optometrist could guesstimate what her prescription was based on the pic and amount of light distortion.

I agree that they were not cosmetic, but I just wonder if her vision is as poor as many believe. (I think you mean that she was far-sighted? If she was near-sighted--as I am--she could see close objects but not distance, which wouldn't explain her behavior with the elevator buttons.)

Yeah it's possible that those are someones tags. It's an offensive word but that doesn't mean someone wouldn't use it as their tag for the shock value. When I was younger I knew quite a few girl taggers, I'm female and hung around people who's tags were MJ, Little, It Girl, Delish, ,GirlyG and Schooly D. People choose their tags for a number of reasons. Maybe they are just dumb as Dirt and couldn't think of anything but initials or maybe the person has been called a c$%t ,wears it like a badge of honor and uses the tag for the shock value.

Who knows! But IMO looking deeper into It is like beating a dead horse. What you wanna do is cool and I respect that. But I find it highly unlikely EL wrote those, whether copied from another tag or not. Was she known to tag? Her tumblr shows no posts with interest in tagging / graffiti from what I've seen. Have they found spray paint,markers anything on the roof to indicate it was recent and possible she was involved? They have one postcard that supposedly she wrote, with similar handwriting but not exact, no known history of tagging or even an interest in that world and a couple of tags that could have been there for at least a year.

I'm not trying to say you can't have your thoughts on it. Please don't misunderstand and quite frankly I regret getting involved in this discussion and prefer to have nothing to do with it in the future. Was just giving some info on tagging to start and who might frequent the roof..

I already said ty = thank you. Not trying to be disagreeable.

I don't think a person needs knowledge about tagging in order to copy another graffiti already on the roof. Judging from the different scripts of the two graffiti, one on glass, one on tank, it looks like two different people drew them.

I'm not saying it was EL who drew either, but the graffiti on the tank looks like EL's penmanship to me.

My view is that if EL was high, or underwent withdrawal, she might have been mentally disoriented that night. Judging from the elevator video, she looked disoriented. She might have gone up on roof. Might have seen graffiti, and her being a creative person as evidenced by her blog and tumblr, might have copied the other graffiti for fun. But again, until LAPD says something about grafitti, then it probably means nothing.

I'm not sure what happened on the roof that led to her death. But I think it could have been an accident of her own doing while she was mentally confused, or there may be foul play if she was drugged.

Thought I read a post from an "unconfirmed" friend of hers that said she needed glasses and had trouble seeing up close. Might be in thread 3

I think this thread need some kind of break through. What are the facts? The real facts besides all dates?

Elisa Lam is in and outside the elevator on 14th floor.
You can get up on the roof by three different fire ladders.
The hatches were not locked - that is confirmed.
We have a lot of long-time residents living at the hotel, a lot of them are just below the state of homeless and at least four of them have been convicted for sexual abuse.
The security on the hotel has been substandard which former guests have declared.
We know that Elisa has been using a lot of forums on the Net.
We know - as far from her blog - that she have had some mild depressions.

We don´t know if Elisa were staying at 4th floor. We don´t know if she checked in at Stay on Main (correct me if I am wrong).
We don´t know if she was found nude.
We might have a knowledge that she did not drowned because the first autopsy did not get any "results". But that is not certainly.

I would like to know more about them long stay at the hotel on each floor. Who are they? Who are these people in the staff? Who are the cleaning staff? Who are the watchman during the night? Did everybody on that hotel have the knowledge how to get up on the roof? What more actual incidents of a criminal nature has occurred during the past three years on Cecil Hotel?

Oh, one more thing. When I had to wear glasses, (had something like -4.75 or something for my contacts), I couldn't see much beyond book reading distance. That is, things would get fuzzy fast. Taking a shower, my toes would be fuzzy, etc. Thus, EL leaning forward initially to push buttons would make sense. Her distance is roughly book reading distance. Not saying she wasn't wearing her contacts or anything. Just noting that being near sighted means relatively close objects could be blurry, depending on how bad the near sightedness is.

No, I'm saying that I believe she was near sighted (ie: had myopia) and needed glasses to see anything of distance (what that distance would be, I don't know.)

Near sightedness is more prevalent then far sightedness so I'm just leaning towards probability/stats.

Perhaps an optometrist could guesstimate what her prescription was based on the pic and amount of light distortion.

Oh, okay. I lean towards that idea myself. I am near-sighted and wear glasses for distance (I certainly can't drive without them but I can see objects as close as those buttons.) But then that doesn't explain why she would be leaning so close to the elevator buttons, which is the theory of a lot of posters here. Or would it? This case is making me lose my mind. :banghead:

I already said ty = thank you. Not trying to be disagreeable.

I don't think a person needs knowledge about tagging in order to copy another graffiti already on the roof. Judging from the different scripts of the two graffiti, one on glass, one on tank, it looks like two different people drew them.

I'm not saying it was EL who drew either, but the graffiti on the tank looks like EL's penmanship to me.

I didn't think you were being disagreeable and please understand I was not trying to be rude either. If that's what you think then may I suggest obtaining an "absolute" known piece of her writing and asking a handwriting analyst to compare.. Until that point I, personally, see no point of pursuing that any longer but can appreciate that someone is looking at all the details to try and find some answers

But to me that points to an employee, resident, or maybe a fellow guest, if you think (as I do) that she was murdered

Absolutely. And I, too, believe she was murdered.

And to littlegreycells31 - I posted quotes from two different sources I found here on the forum. Yet, the video you shared repeats that they're zeroing in on an employee as a suspect. My question is, "Is the LAPD taking it back?"

I don't know what's going on. There is a lot of conflicting information in this case. I'm ranting, I guess. We may (or may not) find out what happened when the tests come back.

The distortion in her pic where she wears glasses resemble those with myopia. I don't think it's that high though.

I've seen near legally blind people with eyeglasses -10.0 and their high-index glasses are much much thicker and the distortion is like coke-bottles.

EL could have squinted to see the numbers on elevator. Or she could have been wearing lenses. Her lenses would have fallen off when she was submerged in water.

LE may be able to tell whether she wore lenses that night by checking her contact lens case, or by counting the number of lenses left if she wore disposable ones.

Absolutely. And I, too, believe she was murdered.

And to littlegreycells31 - I posted quotes from two different sources I found here on the forum. Yet, the video you shared repeats that they're zeroing in on an employee as a suspect. My question is, "Is the LAPD taking it back?"

I don't know what's going on. There is a lot of conflicting information in this case. I'm ranting, I guess. We may (or may not) find out what happened when the tests come back.

Can you imagine if the tests come back inconclusive and we still don't how she died? Or if LE writes it off as "death by misadventure" or just leaves it undetermined? I feel like that would the saddest part of all this. (Other than her death, of course.)

Oh, one more thing. When I had to wear glasses, (had something like -4.75 or something for my contacts), I couldn't see much beyond book reading distance. That is, things would get fuzzy fast. Taking a shower, my toes would be fuzzy, etc. Thus, EL leaning forward initially to push buttons would make sense. Her distance is roughly book reading distance. Not saying she wasn't wearing her contacts or anything. Just noting that being near sighted means relatively close objects could be blurry, depending on how bad the near sightedness is.

The distortion you point out behind Elisa's lens in the picture is called the "cut-out," I think, by glasses fetishists as well as possibly by vision professionals. A cut-out goes with nearsightedness. The degree of cut-out in that photo might not be an accurate rep or what her cut-out actually is, but say it does... then given that Elisa probably has some fairly high-index plastic lenses, she might be a -6 diopters at most. This guess is only as good as the info I'm basing it on.

With, say, a -4 to a -6, I would expect her to need to lean in very close to read elevator buttons.

*** I do not have cred as a vision professional, but I do know a lot about vision and glasses.***

I didn't think you were being disagreeable and please understand I was not trying to be rude either. If that's what you think then may I suggest obtaining an "absolute" known piece of her writing and asking a handwriting analyst to compare.. Until that point I, personally, see no point of pursuing that any longer but can appreciate that someone is looking at all the details to try and find some answers

That's what I said. Graffiti is irrelevant unless LE gives info about its relevance to case. Moving on...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusslikeme