CA/Canada - Elisa Lam - 21 years old - Los Angeles/Vancouver - 31-Jan-2013 - #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting note. There is an nbc news vid on the newport body.

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Newport-Beach-Body-194996521.html

Also called 'suspicious death' police have done their best to locate clothing related to this woman, indicating she was found naked, no signs of physical trauma again. No clear link yet but everything fits the MO of the Lam case. I'd keep an eye on this websleuths. Oriental woman in mid 20s similar description to elisa.

Also three memorial candles were found burning near the scene and had been placed early morning before the bodys discovery. They have been taken into evidence. 3rd victim perhaps? Bad gut feeling about this one. I think we have a serial keller here. Newport beach does not look far from LA.

Thanks for the heads up Roger, good points...I checked and Newport Beach is just a 44 mile drive from Los Angeles and am also checking and it appears Amtrak's Starlight goes from LA to Newport Beach

Maybe that death's related to Elisa's

Just a note from reading, the Cecil's famous serial killers were Ramirez and the other guy, some journalist

Ramirez killed anyone, women, kids, men of all ages

The journalist targeted only prostitues

Maybe this is another serial killer tracking just petite Asian girls...Time will tell

Just found this video news release by AP on behalf of CCTV, the Chinese broadcaster. At the 2:05 mark, the LAPD Spokesman reveals the number of hours of video tapes they reviewed and the reason for the release of the elevator video.

USA Elisa Lam Photos (CCTV News Content) - YouTube

That is absolute rubbish...if they reviewed a hundred hours of video tape...which would have included a fair share of her...and they released that specific portion because they felt it showed what she looked like currently, as opposed to her facebook/ social media...then why not release some other parts of the 100's of hours they must have that DON'T show her being a complete weirdo in the lift.

They've released this specific lift video because it is the most provocative.

What he says there is not honest.

By what he's saying all that they required was a still of her...they could have captured a still from one split second of any of the 100 hours they reviewed...and yes oh yes she'll be all over plenty off footage they have...they released the bizarre elevator footage...why? Why that footage out of all the footage they must have of her?

Are they saying that of all the other footage of her in the hotel...that weird elevator footage is the only footage that shows her face?

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining

I've started a new thread for the body found on Newport Beach.

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8988733#post8988733"]http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8988733#post8988733[/ame]

That is absolute rubbish...if they reviewed a hundred hours of video tape...which would have included a fair share of her...and they released that specific portion because they felt it showed what she looked like currently, as opposed to her facebook/ social media...then why not release some other parts of the 100's of hours they must have that DON'T show her being a complete weirdo in the lift.

By what he's saying all that they required was a still of her...they could have captured a still from one split second of any of the 100 hours they reviewed...and yes oh yes she'll be all over plenty off footage they have...they released the bizarre elevator footage...why? Why that footage out of all the footage they must have of her?

Are they saying that of all the other footage of her in the hotel...that weird elevator footage is the only footage that shows her face?

He did not mention whether there were any other scenes of her. Perhaps there was none or the other scenes were all too short. So the elevator scene could be the best they had. We do not know; I do not see the reason for the cynicism here.

And given the quality of the video we've seen, it's likely the other video scenes would be of the same quality. What's the use then of a still from any other scenes they have. You are assuming they have a very clear capture of her face somewhere and they chose not to release.

Can anyone ID the night photo from Dec. 2012 of buildings and parking lot Moules Mariniere pic?

. Silly Billy has said the photo including Kingston Hotel is probably from Vancouver Library - I have said photo through window wooden frames on inside is from Art Gallery of Ontario Toronto and info sign photo is from Toronto Ref. Library. Few posts ago I gave band dates for Grizzly Bear (for photo of band by M.M.) can anyone figure out which concert that is - will when I have time busy today but in meantime maybe someone can figure that out (?).

What motive does he have to lie about this particular statement?

Maybe the other videos had other occupants in the elevator?
Maybe this video shows the clothes and hairstyle at the time of the disappearance?
Maybe this video was the most recent one?

But yes, it is possible he could have been lying. A police video showing behavior that people would quickly jump and label her crazy, puts less pressure on the police to solve a potential murder.

Without this video, there wouldn't be half as many people calling her crazy or saying that she killed herself. A good political move, if that was what was intended.

Newport Beach is just a 44 mile drive from Los Angeles and am also checking and it appears Amtrak's Starlight goes from LA to Newport Beach

I ride the Coast Starlight every 4 months, and it goes between L.A. and Seattle. On our returns to L.A. (Union Station, downtown), they always make an announcement telling people what train to switch to if they're going to San Diego. I think it's very possible that Elisa used that Amtrak train to get to San Diego...

Can anyone ID the night photo from Dec. 2012 of buildings and parking lot Moules Mariniere pic?

. Silly Billy has said the photo including Kingston Hotel is probably from Vancouver Library - I have said photo through window wooden frames on inside is from Art Gallery of Ontario Toronto and info sign photo is from Toronto Ref. Library. Few posts ago I gave band dates for Grizzly Bear (for photo of band by M.M.) can anyone figure out which concert that is - will when I have time busy today but in meantime maybe someone can figure that out (?).

Both photos posted on Dec 21,2012 were taken from the Hudson's Bay building in downtown Vancouver. The parking lot you referred to is actually the roof-level parking of the garage cross the street. (Please see the pic from Google map, the red dot is where I think EL was, approximately) ;)

Interesting note. There is an nbc news vid on the newport body.

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Newport-Beach-Body-194996521.html

Also called 'suspicious death' police have done their best to locate clothing related to this woman, indicating she was found naked, no signs of physical trauma again. No clear link yet but everything fits the MO of the Lam case. I'd keep an eye on this websleuths. Oriental woman in mid 20s similar description to elisa.

Also three memorial candles were found burning near the scene and had been placed early morning before the bodys discovery. They have been taken into evidence. 3rd victim perhaps? Bad gut feeling about this one. I think we have a serial keller here. Newport beach does not look far from LA.

Technically we don't have even one killer yet--nor one homicide victim. But you think we have a serial killer with at least 3 victims and heading south for more?

@TheRoger: We say Asian for people, Oriental for rugs...just sayin'

Just found this video news release by AP on behalf of CCTV, the Chinese broadcaster. At the 2:05 mark, the LAPD Spokesman reveals the number of hours of video tapes they reviewed and the reason for the release of the elevator video.

USA Elisa Lam Photos (CCTV News Content) - YouTube

Oh! Thank you so much for posting that. That may put a few posters at rest over some of the details and over whether the LAPD "thinks" to examine the evidence, whether or not they inventory it for the public.

What motive does he have to lie about this particular statement?

Maybe the other videos had other occupants in the elevator?
Maybe this video shows the clothes and hairstyle at the time of the disappearance?
Maybe this video was the most recent one?

But yes, it is possible he could have been lying. A police video showing behavior that people would quickly jump and label her crazy, puts less pressure on the police to solve a potential murder.

Without this video, there wouldn't be half as many people calling her crazy or saying that she killed herself. A good political move, if that was what was intended.
I think your suggestion that this video shows her very most recent clothes, hairstyle, and general appearance is spot on. This is probably what she was wearing and how she looked when she disappeared. They were still searching for a missing person at this point, if I'm not mistaken, so they were hoping there was still a chance to find her alive. Showing what she was likely wearing would be helpful for any member of the public who might see her. They didn't know she was unfortunately in the tank.

Am I understanding from this police video that when they originally searched the hotel, the lid on the tank was closed so they didn't look inside? If the lid was closed...that really does make it seem more like foul play. Hmm.

I ride the Coast Starlight every 4 months, and it goes between L.A. and Seattle. On our returns to L.A. (Union Station, downtown), they always make an announcement telling people what train to switch to if they're going to San Diego. I think it's very possible that Elisa used that Amtrak train to get to San Diego...

This has been my belief too; my hunch is that the perp noticed her during her travels- just speculation; no evidence. I have read that EL flew into LA on the 26th then took a bus or train (hearsay) to San Diego then back to LA checking into Cecil on the 28th. I thought someone posted that she missed a connecting flight (according to Tumblr?). Why would that happen when Vancouver to LA is generally a direct flight?

Hopefully it's just some strange coincidence, but the idea of a serial killer came to my mind at the very beginning of Elisa's case, too.

Since there are (up two now) only three analogies (young Asian women in their twenties + water involved + no obvious COD), it could be very well just as very sad coincidence, but maybe we should keep an eye on that other case, too (it would not be amiss, at least), until a COD is announced.

I never said that it is for sure a serial killer, but it is definitely something to keep in mind. Just noting a similar MO (near or possibly in water, young asian, found naked, no apparant sign of trauma, early hours of morning) Candles thing seems wierd too, they were found burning at 6 am by a resident shortly after the body was discovered. Nothing for certain just throwing it out there.

then why not release some other parts of the 100's of hours they must have that DON'T show her being a complete weirdo in the lift.

No they released that video because it was the last video of her they had. She was still a missing person on that video

A. Because of the length showed her in the most detail, a Normal elevator ride would probably result in 2 minutes of staring at the back of her head

B. Because they felt that's what she would be wearing if she was wandering around the streets, why would they give us a view from an earlier time then have to inform that she was wearing different clothes the last time she was seen when they can give us an actual visual

Technically we don't have even one killer yet--nor one homicide victim. But you think we have a serial killer with at least 3 victims and heading south for more?

I still don't think, it's the same guy for the following reasons:

1.) Lam was hidden, that's mere body hiding behavior. The Newport girl was left on a beach, no attempt to hide, rather to show off.

2.) The disposal in a water tank id delay, without any trace of remorse in the behavior. This killer had no relation, real or imagined, with the victim after death. The Newport body with the candles shows a ritualistic aspect. Placing a body face down can be also interpreted that way.

3.) Lam was a tourist killed in a tourist environment, a victim without a rap sheet. The Newport girl, given by the short time, they needed to find her prints in the system, is most likely local with a rap sheet.

Nevertheless, the Lam case screams my psychopath and if a psychopath gets away with a murder, chances are, he does it again. Not today, not tomorrow, not next week. It's a process, but give it a year or two. The real fast-burners are rather rare.

For anyone interested:

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=201044"]CA, Newport Beach, Body of Woman Found on Sand, 4th Mar 2013[/ame]

Hopefully it's just some strange coincidence, but the idea of a serial killer came to my mind at the very beginning of Elisa's case, too.

Since there are (up two now) only three analogies (young Asian women in their twenties + water involved + no obvious COD), it could be very well just as very sad coincidence, but maybe we should keep an eye on that other case, too (it would not be amiss, at least), until a COD is announced.

The LA area has some sad history of several SKs active in the same area and at the same time. The Hillside Stranglers dropped their bodies at the same hills, where Alcala dropped at least one and then, a little way around the same foothills, we find the houses, the Manson family attacked. As a matter of fact, in an urban area of that size, it's mathematical far more likely to have more than one active at any given time than to have none at all. But then, most SKs aren't detected that easily. They are there, but nobody makes the right connection.

I never said that it is for sure a serial killer, but it is definitely something to keep in mind. Just noting a similar MO (near or possibly in water, young asian, found naked, no apparant sign of trauma, early hours of morning) Candles thing seems wierd too, they were found burning at 6 am by a resident shortly after the body was discovered. Nothing for certain just throwing it out there.

I understand where you are coming from. I live about 10-15 minutes away from where this happened in Newport and it's unsettling to say the least. I've lived in LA, SF, NYC and Philly and if it happened there I would think just another dead person. It's just not the area where you find a dead body on the beach. Yes, people have gotten stuck on the Jetty in the past and have gone missing or washed up due to putting themselves in a dangerous situation but never found a body on the beach with NBPD saying possible foul play in all the time I've lived here. I see the similarities with body type, ethnicity and age and think hmmm, it's possible. but until more info is released, and they aren't releasing any information about either case for a connection to be made, I'm leaving it alone. I can understand why a person would see the similarity in body type and age, but we don't know anything yet. I, personally, am trying to keep it out of this forum. Too many people have already been confused and as soon as you mention serial killer some people will run with it instead of reading everything in the thread. Made that mistake last night. It's just easier in my opinion to avoid any additional confusion.

Just my 2 cents, I'll go back to my corner now :seeya:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members