CA CA - Charitie Angelique Careins, 7, San Diego, 5 August 1988

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Yes this i

Yes, this is the only one that my sister and I have found other than one when he was featured for being an 11lb baby on the day he was born.
I wonder if we can refer Bannister to the San Diego PD about the case.

What the heck?? I lived across the street from Campland in the military housing in 1988. I was 6 years old. I’ve never heard of this!
Charitie lived in the Navy Housing there and would walk alone back and forth to campland to visit friends (and possibly her grandmother?? -uncertain).

Charitie lived in the Navy Housing there and would walk alone back and forth to campland to visit friends (and possibly her grandmother?? -uncertain).
What?! I’m dumbfounded. That’s where I lived until 1994. I would also walk to Campland to go to the pool and the little convenience store they had there. I need to find out more about this.

What?! I’m dumbfounded. That’s where I lived until 1994. I would also walk to Campland to go to the pool and the little convenience store they had there. I need to find out more about this.
wow! it sounds like you and Charitie could have crossed paths

I just called my dad to see if he remembered this and he said the exact same thing, we very likely attended the same school and played together. I don’t remember her but it was such a small, tight-knit neighborhood.
I read in a paper from Aug 19, 1988 that Charitie lived on Betty Street and that her family only lived there for about a month before she went missing.

:( I did not know that she was there for such a short time given that many articles say she was often out late at night talking to people and visiting friends and that she was given permission to go on an out of the country trip to Mexico with neighbors.

I read in a paper from Aug 19, 1988 that Charitie lived on Betty Street and that her family only lived there for about a month before she went missing.

:( I did not know that she was there for such a short time given that many articles say she was often out late at night talking to people and visiting friends and that she was given permission to go on an out of the country trip to Mexico with neighbors.
I read Betty St as well but I don’t know where that is, I grew up in Pacific Beach and have no recollection of a Betty St. Definitely not in the military housing. When I search for it, it takes me to South San Diego so that can’t be right. I don’t know if that’s a misprint or what.
I lived in the military housing from 1985 to 1994 and would walk to Campland, but definitely not as young as 7. You had to walk down a long strip of road to get there and there was car traffic, but it wasn’t super busy. She could EASILY have been snatched and put in a car on that road.

Makes me very happy to now see more people discussing Charitie’s case!! I feel her case was covered much less than it should have been and there were only three newspapers about her I could find from 1988 and then only eight from when her remains were identified

Here is a missing child ad for Charitie. It lists what she was last seen wearing that day as well

1674550720114.jpeg

I wonder if William Bannister might’ve befriended Charitie’s mother? She was recovering from jaw cancer when she was abducted and we know Bannister likely befriended April Cooper’s mother in order to have access to her and in the end he did.

Unfortunately, her mother, Jane Lewis, died in 2021. We would have to ask others who knew her if this was possible. Although I suspect it’s quite possible Bannister simply took Charitie at random.

Never mind, Jane died in 2020 and was living in Florida when she passed away

One other thought is what if Leticia Hernandez could be linked to these?

She was abducted while playing in her front yard in Oceanside, California on December 16th 1989. Her partial remains were located on March 9th 1991 near the Pala Indian Reservation, only 26 miles from her home. This was where a property caretaker found her skull, off county Highway S16, two miles south of the Riverside county line.

Her neighbor was considered a prime suspect in the case early on and I read in a newspaper that he owned property in Riverside County. Maybe he was involved in Charitie and Leticia’s cases. Or maybe Bannister also killed Leticia.

Oceanside is 35 minutes away from Pacific Beach, California. It’s also 43 minutes away from Temecula, California where April was last seen.

When I called my dad last night to see if he remembered this case, he mentioned something that sparked a memory. At some point in the late 80s or early 90s there was a report that someone crawled into a bedroom window of a home in the military housing and assaulted the child in the bedroom. I have just a faint memory of this so I need to research but I couldn’t help wondering if there’s a connection.
All of this is MOO and memories from living in the Admiral Hartman housing

Also I had mentioned yesterday that I hadn’t heard of Betty St, but I located it on the map. I didn’t recognize it because I didn’t have friends over there. On this map Betty St, where Charitie lived, is circled in black. The street I lived on at the same time is circled in blue. You can see Campland just below. She would have had to walk quite far to get to Campland and that opens up more time and locations for her kidnapping to have occurred.
MOO

Attachments

• 66146D95-D89F-49FB-9196-791497936CBB.jpeg
    66146D95-D89F-49FB-9196-791497936CBB.jpeg
    114.6 KB · Views: 7
Hi all. I stumbled on this thread while looking around. Since I'm in San Diego, it peaked my interest. I'm definitely familiar with the Admiral Hartman housing. I'm retired Navy and had a couple of buddies that lived over there. Out of curiosity, I did a Google search and found a Twitter thread from user @boostedtuna. Interestingly, she said her mother was with Charitie and saw the white van. She said they reached out to detectives (thread was dated Mar 28, 2021) but didn't hear back. She contacted a podcast @KendallRaeOnYT. Not sure if Kendall made a podcast about it or not.

Hi all. I stumbled on this thread while looking around. Since I'm in San Diego, it peaked my interest. I'm definitely familiar with the Admiral Hartman housing. I'm retired Navy and had a couple of buddies that lived over there. Out of curiosity, I did a Google search and found a Twitter thread from user @boostedtuna. Interestingly, she said her mother was with Charitie and saw the white van. She said they reached out to detectives (thread was dated Mar 28, 2021) but didn't hear back. She contacted a podcast @KendallRaeOnYT. Not sure if Kendall made a podcast about it or not.
I saw that same thread when I was poking around last night. I’d be interested in getting in touch with her.

View attachment 391699
Charitie, the daughter of Tommy Harmon Careins and Jane Ellen Roberts.

Charitie Angelique Careins, 7, was reported missing by her mother on Aug. 5, 1988. After Charitie failed to return home from a visit to a friend's house near the Campland Recreational vehicle park in Pacific Beach. Ten months later, in June 1989 hikers walking through San Timoteo Canyon near Beaumont in Riverside County, CA., found a small skull, including a lower jaw and nine teeth that were determined to be Charitie. Her killer was never brought to justice.

I wrote this article for Charitie’s kidnapping and murder since there seems to be no coverage on her still unsolved murder lately.

She went missing during the time of the Bay Area kidnappings (all determined to be unrelated for the most part) but didn’t get nearly as much attention as say Michaela Garecht or Amber Swartz-Garcia.
Anything about her birth Father?

One other thought is what if Leticia Hernandez could be linked to these?

She was abducted while playing in her front yard in Oceanside, California on December 16th 1989. Her partial remains were located on March 9th 1991 near the Pala Indian Reservation, only 26 miles from her home. This was where a property caretaker found her skull, off county Highway S16, two miles south of the Riverside county line.

Her neighbor was considered a prime suspect in the case early on and I read in a newspaper that he owned property in Riverside County. Maybe he was involved in Charitie and Leticia’s cases. Or maybe Bannister also killed Leticia.

Oceanside is 35 minutes away from Pacific Beach, California. It’s also 43 minutes away from Temecula, California where April was last seen.

Wow, This is crazy. I had almost forgotten about Leticia. I lived in Oceanside when she went missing and my Grand Father worked with someone in her family. The grown ups did not talk much about her around us kids but I need to look more into her case to confirm she is who I am remembering.

Right! The last information I could find on where he is being held was Mule Creek CA around 2020. I have been searching CDCR Inmate information and Department of corrections for Oregon also but his name is not bringing any results, neither is his old Mule Creek Inmate ID. I can't even find a mugshotE
Edit.. Corrections in Colorado no Oregon. I think that i may have written OR instead of CO once or twice. I am going through my posts to correct.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hiyaworld
Back