CA - Chelsea King (17) Rancho Bernardo (north San Diego County) #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
bug, have you added kit carson park to your map yet (re: the hair bag noted in May 2009)? Also, would it be okay to post your map on Amber's thread?

TIA for all you HARD, PROFESSIONAL WORK!

Kit Carson park IS marked because there's a case there that has other parallels to this case - the only difference is that it was ::two:: guys going after one lone cross country running 17 year old there on a Tuesday afternoon.

I will go in to add the bag of hair.

And yes, you can repost it on Amber's thread. I had it opened to do the other day and then things here got so busy I didn't!

I agree with Leila about thinking we're going to need a JAG Case Forum - I think we're on the verge of this exploding into a whole bunch of other cases - both attempts and not - at other kidnappings, rapes, murders, etc.

The girl has got to be Amber Dubois. That's just a horribly written story!

I had more coffee and then it dawned on me that's who, Amber Dubois, this article was referring to. Thanks for noticing. Poorly written then.

they need to post D~bag's photo at the entrance to every park in the area with the tip number. He surly has been hitting the parks and streets frequently and someone is bound to remember a huge dude on the running trail not dressed for running.

So they had a sketch and description of this guy back in Oct of 2009 and never checked out JAG to see what he was up to? OMG what a screw up!

So they had a sketch and description of this guy back in Oct of 2009 and never checked out JAG to see what he was up to? OMG what a screw up!

He wasn't a RSO in Lake Elsinore until January 2010. There are thousands of RSOs within a 50 mi radius of Lake Elsinore and as much as I wish he'd been caught in October I wouldn't be willing to call it a screw up based on the current facts of the case(s).

I guess I have been holding in some anger lately but I want to tell you what has me so upset. The girl that was nearly abducted by JAG in the Elsinore Area that had enough details to make such a great composite sketch of her predator encounter. It is obvious the sketch is a close enough resemblence to JAG and I want to know why the police department apparantly took enough time to do a sketch and didnt take enough time to check the Megan Website to determine the identity of the predator before he had a chance to do what he is accused of doing with Chelsea. The public is often told the Megan Website is there to make the community aware but if its good enough for the public as a source of informaton why isnt law enforcement also monitoring it and checking composites for possibly matches. I believe that this sketch should of been given to all surrounding areas and someone should of followed up on where JAG had moved to along with whether San Diego County had any dealings with this individual or recognized that composite. I think this was a big error and I frankly dont understand and want an explanation as to what kind of investigation was done into this girls report.

Yes, I understand how you might feel. That's what I've been saying, too. Some good precautions and laws have already been put in place, but the follow up by LE is lax, IMPO.

That one couple reported the man in the park lurking. They reported it, and even described the car, but JAG still was able to do his crimes under the radar. Maybe we're both sad because we realize Chelsea, and Amber, would be here today if they did a better job at that point when they had a sketch and JAG still on his mission to find another girl to rape and kill.

He wasn't a RSO in Lake Elsinore until January 2010. There are thousands of RSOs within a 50 mi radius of Lake Elsinore and as much as I wish he'd been caught in October I wouldn't be willing to call it a screw up based on the current facts of the case(s).
Also, the Rancho Bernardo park where Chelsea parked her car, Escondido High School and Gardner's apartment on Rock Springs Rd., and his grandmother's house in Lake Elsinore are in three different jurisdictions. San Diego cops would respond to the RB incident; Escondido PD to Amber's disapperance, and IDK who would be responsible for monitoring a RSO in Lake Elsinore, but it's in Riverside County, for sure. Not a bad way to get away with something...

When I first suggested that JAG was from the Rim of the World HS, I had found that on classmates.com. According to a couple of posters that was correct and they knew him. What I wanted to bring up was that he said on classmates they he enjoyed "fishing and camping" as hobbies. Makes me wonder where he fished and camped and did he often go alone? Also makes me wonder if that was his excuse for staying with his parents near the lake? Which would also explain wet pants up to his knees if he was wading out to fly fish. Any girls go missing near campgrounds down around there?

The area has a LOT of hiking areas, as it's in the mountains. For fishing, it's likely that someone would go to Lake Arrowhead or Lake Gregory. As far as I can remember, there were never any cases of missing girls.

Personally, I doubt that he actually murdered anyone when he was in the mountains. I really do think that this has been building over the years. I also think with the information his relative gave it was a perfect storm of events that lead to this (being upset about losing his unemployment, being kicked out of his house, having too much time on his hands, etc.), although I wouldn't be surprised if this wasn't his first actual murder.

Also, the Rancho Bernardo park where Chelsea parked her car, Escondido High School and Gardner's apartment on Rock Springs Rd., and his grandmother's house in Lake Elsinore are in three different jurisdictions. San Diego cops would respond to the RB incident; Escondido PD to Amber's disapperance, and IDK who would be responsible for monitoring a RSO in Lake Elsinore, but it's in Riverside County, for sure. Not a bad way to get away with something...

And actually, I think one thing that helped Chelsea's case is that it ended up primarily under the Sheriff jurisdiction vs. SDPD. While SDPD was involved, it began with a phone call from her parents in Poway, which put it under the SD County Sheriff's jurisdiction and that's who led the investigation.

Poway being smaller and under the Sheriffs (and, by and large, a 'sleepier' town with far fewer incidents like this) saw a totally different response than we saw with Amber's case in Escondido just about 10-12 miles north, or even the Danielle Van Dam case about 8-10 miles south.

Because it originated there (Poway), this case has remained primarily under Sheriff Bill Gore (SD County Sheriff) and I truly think that is part of why we saw such a different response and handling.

Clear your schedules if you're interested in what other crimes Gardner committed and you want to try to follow it. He was one busy man.

I'm falling to my knees to give thanks that this man is now behind bars.

I'm hoping you guys can see this, but it was a video put together by a PHS student - and all the photos, fliers, etc. are all done by students in Chelsea's memory.

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1296272419712&ref=nf

That doesn't work for me :(
Did i read somewhere that "Vanilla Twilight" was Chelsea's favorite song?
I just listened to it.
Is it the one by Owl City??
It's so sad to listen to now that she's gone.
Here are the lyrics....kinda emotional to read it and hear it...cuz she's not here anymore :(

"Vanilla Twilight" by Owl City

The stars lean down to kiss you,
And I lie awake I miss you,
Pour me a heavy dose of atmosphere.
Cause I'll doze off safe and soundly,
But I'll miss your arms around me
I'll send a postcard to you dear,
Cause I wish you were here.

I watch the night turn light blue,
But it's not the same without you,
Because it takes two to whisper quietly,
The silence isn't so bad,
Till I look at my hands and feel sad,
Cause the spaces between my fingers
Are right where yours fit perfectly.

I'll find opposing new ways,
Though I haven't slept in two days,
Cause cold nostalgia chills me to the bone.
But drenched in Vanilla twilight,
I'll sit on the front porch all night,
Waist deep in thought because when I think of you.
I don't feel so alone.
I don't feel so alone.
I don't feel so alone.

As many times as I blink I'll think of you... tonight.
I'll think of you tonight.

When violet eyes get brighter,
And heavy wings grow lighter,
I'll taste the sky and feel alive again.
And I'll forget the world that I knew,
But I swear I won't forget you,
Oh if my voice could reach back through the past,
I'd whisper in your ear,
Oh darling I wish you were here.

I'm not sure if this is the right song, but i really thought i read that it was her favorite song somewhere....so sad.....

I do think he haws a period of getting agitated before an event and then a cooling down peroid after, as a rule, which is common to serial offenders. He may not have been able to "enjoy" his cooling down period with Chelsea's murder since the response and the search started so quickly and I think he meant to keep the panties and either dropped or threw them as he was exiting the burial scene...
And then hung around someplace to try to watch the search activity so he would know when they got close...
I am kind of surprised that he did not flee the area as he must have known they would find her and SHOULD have known they would find DNA...he could have been in Mexico before he was ID'd and on the run...wonder if this is due to false sense of security on his part i.e. I am smarter than cops, or just plan stupidity? In any case we have to be glad he did not run...he may have committed a string of horrible crimes but he is done now.

I too think we need to be hesitant to jump on LE too much due to the various juridictions involved and the fact they he was not always where he was meant to be...it is very hard to keep track when you have your own batch of SO's to check on with every crime...this is where we come back to GPS...and then they could at least look back and see who was where when and also maybe would have found Amber by now. I hope they do find her soon, am not hopeful that she is in same park.

has anyone heard anything more about the 'bag of hair' found in Kit Karson Park??

From cbs8.com: "ESCONDIDO, Calif. (AP) — Police are investigating a bag found in a park north of San Diego in connection with a girl who vanished about a year ago in the same region where 17-year-old Chelsea King disappeared last week.

Escondido police Lt. Craig Carter says 30 members of local agencies and the FBI are searching Friday in Kit Carson Park in response to a report received Thursday night. Fourteen-year-old Amber Dubois vanished while walking to Escondido High School in February 2009.

Carter says that last May three children told their parents about finding what looked like human hair in a bag in the park but the parents didn't think it significant at the time."

This is an excerpt of the story.

Amber Dubois has her own thread and I think there where it is being discussed. I'll check it out.

This is kinda off topic, but on my local news just now, they said they arrested a registered sex offender named Adam Koch....they said he's 24...they said they arrested him for not registering properly or something like that....he hadn't given them his email address or facebook page or place of employment when he was supposed to and the arrested him for that :)
That was good to hear!!!!

I do think he haws a period of getting agitated before an event and then a cooling down peroid after, as a rule, which is common to serial offenders. He may not have been able to "enjoy" his cooling down period with Chelsea's murder since the response and the search started so quickly and I think he meant to keep the panties and either dropped or threw them as he was exiting the burial scene...
And then hung around someplace to try to watch the search activity so he would know when they got close...
I am kind of surprised that he did not flee the area as he must have known they would find her and SHOULD have known they would find DNA...he could have been in Mexico before he was ID'd and on the run...wonder if this is due to false sense of security on his part i.e. I am smarter than cops, or just plan stupidity? In any case we have to be glad he did not run...he may have committed a string of horrible crimes but he is done now.

I too think we need to be hesitant to jump on LE too much due to the various juridictions involved and the fact they he was not always where he was meant to be...it is very hard to keep track when you have your own batch of SO's to check on with every crime...this is where we come back to GPS...and then they could at least look back and see who was where when and also maybe would have found Amber by now. I hope they do find her soon, am not hopeful that she is in same park.
bbm.. ITA.

note the same timeframe to the other cases including the time of day (that he would be free to troll).

Our wonderful member gaia has been looking thru charley project for missing girls from the area. Here is a link to her post:

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4888128&postcount=445"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - CA CA-Amber Leeanne Dubois (14 YO)- Escondido Thread # 2[/ame]

She is currently on the "M's".... so more to come.

If this animal was stalking girls all day (re: the attempted abduction on the same exact day) this tells me he was desperate for his fix and drove around until he found his victim. That being said, it is obvious from Bug's map that he has certain hunting grounds.. and that is scary in and of itself.

I guess this is JMO, but if that sketch wasn't released to the newspapers back in October of 2009 (when this was the 3rd type such attack in Lake Elsinore,) then THAT was a major screw up! Someone would have recognized him, IMO it looks just like JAG. Maybe it was released earlier and I just haven't read that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiaCarmela