CA - Christopher Dorner kills 4 in tri-county rampage, Feb 2013 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
What they officially say about the Navy is that he has been passed for promotion twice. Once that happens, apparently a person is discharged.

I didn't catch this little tidbit until this morning --

Navy Cmdr. Brad Fagan said officials believe Dorner had checked into a base hotel on Tuesday and left the next day without checking out. Numerous agencies guarded the base on Thursday. Fagan said Dorner was honorably discharged and that his last day in the Navy was last Friday.

So why was he discharged from the Navy last Friday? Then begins killing on Sunday (Quan and fiance)?

Does anyone know the backstory to his discharge?

Thanks,

Mel

Source: http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2013...x-cop-wanted-in-killings/?page=2#article-copy

Mark talked to naval officials who said Dorner was honorably discharged Feb. 1. They said he had been passed over for promotion for a second time and that once a reservist is passed over twice, they are discharged.

PE reporter Mark Muckenfuss received a copy of Christopher Jordan Dorner’s Navy reserve record from a Navy official.

http://blog.pe.com/crime-blotter/20...t-naval-record-includes-training-decorations/

Cop-killing suspect once called hero by Enid pastor (koco.com)
ENID, Okla. — A former Los Angeles police officer who has vowed war against his former colleagues, along with another military student, returned a lost bank bag containing almost $8,000 in cash to an Oklahoma church in 2002.
---
Dorner and Andrew Baughner, who were both military students in 2002, returned the lost bag to the Enid Korean Church of Grace. The church's pastor said she had forgotten the bag on the top of her car and driven away. She called the men heroes.

During an interview with Dorner and Baughner, they told KOCO Eyewitness News 5 that they were taught honesty growing up and that integrity is stressed in their military training.
---
more at the link

Navy Cmdr. Brad Fagan said officials believe Dorner had checked into a base hotel on Tuesday and left the next day without checking out. Numerous agencies guarded the base on Thursday. Fagan said Dorner was honorably discharged and that his last day in the Navy was last Friday.

So why was he discharged from the Navy last Friday? Then begins killing on Sunday (Quan and fiance)?

Thanks,

Mel

Source: http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2013...x-cop-wanted-in-killings/?page=2#article-copy

No but I reported yesterday he was dis-honorably discharged. I must have mis-heard the news report. He does still seem to have an attachment to the military.

What they officially say about the Navy is that he has been passed for promotion twice. Once that happens, apparently a person is discharged.

Wow - just another excuse for him to feel slighted and go on a rampage. Point Loma Naval base is on lockdown, and I doubt he'll get back in there. I do wonder if there was someone on his manifest from the base/San Diego since he originally spent quite a bit of time here earlier in the week.

MOO

Mel

PSA

Lets keep the main focus of this thread on the manhunt. While the accidental shootings are worthy of discussion lets hold off on the intense analysis until the current urgent situation has passed.

Please do not start any additional threads at this time.

Thanks.

Thanks button wasn't enough. There is a rabid, deranged killer out there; how about we focus on that?

I will say this. I slept fairly well, knowing my pups would wake me should the need arise. I doubt that many officers and their families slept as well as I did.

The good news is that no officers were killed overnight. I think we can say "Thank YOU God" (or whomever) for that.

The mood is tense. Again, I compare it to when the Night Stalker was killing, and amping up his murdering ways. It's VERY tense. I don't usually see LE cruise down my block, but apparently, even here, they're making their presence known.

Today, the "storm" comes. While it's nothing like Nemo out east, it will surely hamper the search out here. Snow levels are anticipated to get as low as 2500 ft (which, for the area, is low, low, low). Winds are expected to gust past 60 mph, which will make things untenable in many ways - mostly for large trucks. But for a trained person like Dorner, I doubt the storm will hamper him whatsoever.

I don't believe Dorner is in Big Bear or even the area now. I suspect he has somehow come down off the mountain, and is planning his next assault. I suspect he is stalking one or two or more of his targets, and deciding what he will do next.

LE all over the state are on high alert. When you are facing a man who has been certified (by the medals in the military) as being a crack shot, and knowing he has at least one sniper rifle (the Barret 50 Cal) which has a long distance accuracy...well, yes. Everyone is on high alert.

But how can you defend against a gun which shoots a mile (at least) with good accuracy?

No, it's very tense, very stressed. There is an unquantifyable energy that is zipping around, and it's affecting most folks who are aware.

My prayer is that all LE stays safe and protected, and that Dorner is apprehended and/or neutralized in short order. I don't know that it will happen that way - he does indeed have the upper hand at the moment; he is in charge...which is NOT a good situation at all. But it is what it is...

And all I can do is go about my day, and keep the news on.

Best-
Herding Cats

If they don't catch him quickly, I can't imagine what those on his list of targets are going to do. And that is a big list he had.

True, and it doesn't necessarily mean there was anything wrong with his performance. These days (because everyone has stayed in due to the economy), if your current rank and rate (the job you do) has 3000 people in it and there are only 100 promotions to the rank you want available, the majority of people trying to promote are passed over.

My SO had over 20 years in and due to the above was discharged a year ago. It's a sad situation, and I think it produces a lot of anger in these people. It's just a numbers thing but when it involves your livelihood it can be a huge blow to some.

True, and it doesn't necessarily mean there was anything wrong with his performance. These days (because everyone has stayed in due to the economy), if your current rank and rate (the job you do) has 3000 people in it and there are only 100 promotions to the rank you want available, the majority of people trying to promote are passed over.

My SO had over 20 years in and due to the above was discharged a year ago. It's a sad situation, and I think it produces a lot of anger in these people. It's just a numbers thing but when it involves your livelihood it can be a huge blow to some.

But he appears to have a very high opinion of himself. He would not be happy with not getting that promotion.

He does seem smart but he should have written a book ! Then he'd get his story out, and not be in prison or dead. Now , whether or not his points are valid or true, is irrelevant. He's a crazed killer and no one will even pay attention to the content of his ' manifesto' .
OT but does anyone remember hearing the term ' manifesto' prior to the Unabomber?
I think he brought the manifesto into the new world !

I always think of Mein Kamf as the definitive Manifesto..

But there were many before... And many after...

maybe the Unibomber brought it into the speaking language?

Some thoughts...

Thanks,

Mel

From what I understand, Dorner was passed over for promotion for a second time. In the reserves, again from what I understand, if you don't get promoted twice, you are released from duty with an honorable discharge.

I believe that is what happened. Dorner did not get promoted twice, and the discharge was automatic and honorable.

Hope that helps.

And just now from the local news, they're commenting that the expected next attack is at the funeral(s) for LE/victims that were killed. Which, to me, makes a lot of sense...it's also a place where he could use his Barret 50 Cal, and be able to escape. And it would make sense in the amount of officers that would be there.

Sigh.

Best-
Herding Cats

ex-wife, who is reportedly an undercover narcotics officer living in Long Beach.

only married a month....mutual divorce?????

Dorner was last seen at his ex-wife's home two months ago, and was a regular visitor until that point. They said Dorner took care of landscaping at the home.

from KABC article

More details leaking out, snipped a few.

Authorities planned a midmorning Friday news conference about 80 miles east of LA at Big Bear Lake, where Christopher Dorner's torched pickup was found Thursday. The area was under a winter storm warning, with snow falling and temperatures well below freezing.

While in the Naval Reserves, Dorner earned a rifle marksman ribbon and pistol expert medal. He was assigned to a naval undersea warfare unit and various aviation training units, according to military records, taking a leave from the LAPD to be deployed to Bahrain in 2006 and 2007.

In San Diego, where police said Dorner tied up an elderly man and unsuccessfully tried to steal his boat Wednesday night, Naval Base Point Loma was locked down Thursday after a Navy worker reported seeing someone who resembled Dorner.

In San Diego, where police said Dorner tied up an elderly man and unsuccessfully tried to steal his boat Wednesday night, Naval Base Point Loma was locked down Thursday after a Navy worker reported seeing someone who resembled Dorner.

http://www.startribune.com/nation/190352011.html

But he appears to have a very high opinion of himself. He would not be happy with not getting that promotion.

My SO was angry about not getting his also, but he has gotten a job since then (that is not very fulfilling, his Navy job was) and is trying to move on.

He's a normal person and it's affected him very deeply.

Part of it is when these guys came into the military (my SO is about this guy's age), they planned to stay well beyond 20 years in some capacity because that's how it was sold to them. Unfortunately, due to budget cuts and downsizing, the promotions are difficult to get and these guys are kind of "aging out" of the system, which they did not expect.

In no way do I excuse the murder of people because someone's mad. I just think it may have been the straw that broke an already disturbed person's back.

My SO was angry about not getting his also, but he has gotten a job since then (that is not very fulfilling, his Navy job was) and is trying to move on.

He's a normal person and it's affected him very deeply.

By the timing of it, sounds like being discharged was what pushed him over the edge, so to speak.
He got fired from LAPD, all his appeals failed, and then he is discharged from the Navy as well.
Certainly not a successful career at that point.

(((hugs))) to you Herding Cats and all who live around there.
I have close friends in Riverside.
CNN Anderson Cooper talking about the parcel he recieved.

coin shot 4 times with a 22........man that gave it to him does not remember him at all.

Vehicle With License Plates Registered To Dorner Discovered In San Diego Suburb (cbslocallosangeles.com)
POWAY (CBSLA.com) — A vehicle tied to triple-murder suspect Christopher Dorner has been discovered in a San Diego suburb.

According to the San Diego County Sheriff’s Department, a truck with license plates registered to Dorner was discovered in Poway around 1 p.m. Thursday.

Authorities later determined that Dorner switched the license plate of the vehicle with the plates on his Nissan Titan.
---
more at the link

I'm gonna hang out and listen to the San Diego Police Dispatch Live Audio Feed. I'll post on the scanner thread if anything pops up about our perp. In the meantime, I'll keep praying they find this guy stat!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Txwoman