CA - Christopher Dorner kills 4 in tri-county rampage, Feb 2013 - #3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This has probably been posted as I've been following the arrest in Philly for the 5 year old who was abducted from school.

This is the couple who were held hostage at Big Bear. Has there been word or video on the cleaning persons? tia

These two are the cleaning persons. This couple owns a rental and they went in to clean the cabin that Dorner was hiding in at which point they were tied up by him. The two female maids story was a mistake.

Media stated he had a silencer on his weapons. Even during the shootout so officers couldn't know his location when he was shooting at them.

On the guns found in the truck, LE stated he had both flash suppressors and silencers on them. I can't find which news article it was in but I clearly remember mention of flash surpressors [they conceal the bright flash of fire a gun makes when firing] and silencers. Now, I don't know if he had them on his weapon he used in the cabin because watching video I recall seeing a flash of some sort from the direction of the cabin where he made his last stand. Also, the LE said that they heard a gun shot audibly from the cabin-- the shot many are speculating was fired in the act of Dorner committing suicide. I'm assuming that those outside of the cabin would be unable to hear the final shot if he'd had a silencer on it. I don't know how "silent" a silencer renders gunfire inaudible. I've never used either of this apparatus in my shooting experiences because of their use in criminal activities I believe they are illegal.

I'm sure many of you have heard the recordings of the audio of the gunfight at the last cabin. To my ears, I clearly hear someone firing with an automatic weapon. As I've mention previously, I live with two LEOs who are both firearm instructors for the local sheriff's office. I've been with them numerous times to the range and I've NEVER heard them fire as many rounds as rapidly as it sounds on the video/audio. It sounds distinctly "machine gun"-like. A semi auto will fire a bullet each time one pulls the trigger. What is heard in the video would be impossible for a semi-auto to do both because of how fast you'd run out of ammo and need to reload and because of the rapid-firing of the weapon. I don't believe SBCS carry fully automatic weapons but I could be wrong. Just wondering if anyone knows if fully auto weapons are used by them or their SWAT team? Thanks in advance!

Here is another/or more footage of the last shootout.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...ught-in-the-christopher-dorner-crossfire.html

Carter Evans, the Reporter Caught in the Christopher Dorner Crossfire
Feb 13, 2013 6:58 PM EST
CBS News correspondent Carter Evans got the scoop on Tuesday’s shootout between police and suspected cop killer Christopher Dorner—and nearly got killed in the process.

"On Monday, Carter Evans was a relatively unknown local TV-news correspondent. On Tuesday, he was famous—his voice heard across the Internet and television news—after he got caught in the line of fire between police and ex-cop and suspected killer Christopher Dorner."

More... With VIDEO

This is just the shootout with the audio. At the beginning you can see one officer shooting from behind a tree and another officer lobbing something at the house.
This seems a little different then the other video footage I have seen.

On the guns found in the truck, LE stated he had both flash suppressors and silencers on them. I can't find which news article it was in but I clearly remember mention of flash surpressors [they conceal the bright flash of fire a gun makes when firing] and silencers. Now, I don't know if he had them on his weapon he used in the cabin because watching video I recall seeing a flash of some sort from the direction of the cabin where he made his last stand. Also, the LE said that they heard a gun shot audibly from the cabin-- the shot many are speculating was fired in the act of Dorner committing suicide. I'm assuming that those outside of the cabin would be unable to hear the final shot if he'd had a silencer on it. I don't know how "silent" a silencer renders gunfire inaudible. I've never used either of this apparatus in my shooting experiences because of their use in criminal activities I believe they are illegal.

I'm sure many of you have heard the recordings of the audio of the gunfight at the last cabin. To my ears, I clearly hear someone firing with an automatic weapon. As I've mention previously, I live with two LEOs who are both firearm instructors for the local sheriff's office. I've been with them numerous times to the range and I've NEVER heard them fire as many rounds as rapidly as it sounds on the video/audio. It sounds distinctly "machine gun"-like. A semi auto will fire a bullet each time one pulls the trigger. What is heard in the video would be impossible for a semi-auto to do both because of how fast you'd run out of ammo and need to reload and because of the rapid-firing of the weapon. I don't believe SBCS carry fully automatic weapons but I could be wrong. Just wondering if anyone knows if fully auto weapons are used by them or their SWAT team? Thanks in advance!

I heard the automatic weapon firing too. But I couldn't tell if it was from Dorner or the SWAT.

I heard the automatic weapon firing too. But I couldn't tell if it was from Dorner or the SWAT.

I asked my inlaws and they also hear an automatic weapon being fired. If Dorner had an automatic weapon, we're really lucky more people weren't harmed or killed during the confrontations between Dorner and the police. Being shot by an automatic weapon is not a pretty picture. Dorner would have had access and training regarding automatic weapons in the Navy, I wonder if they're also used by the LEOs in the Sheriff's department in SB. I'm hopeful we'l hear a little more on what exactly went down in the last cabin. We'll have to likely wait to hear much about it until after the crime scenes have been investigated.

Also, I'm wondering about the sightings in BB. Wondering if he actually had been spotted a handful of times over the period during which he was missing. I remember reading several different reports of someone matching his description in BB. Some even said the person they saw was carrying a large backpack. It does sound possible he could have been seen at some points if he hadn't been inside of the condo where he tied up the couple. I am just curious if anyone else thinks he may have gotten more confident in not being recognized at that point. Just curious. I'm definitely interested in reading more of what happened over the 5 days he was missing.

Did the couple that got tied up ever disclose whether the cabin/condo had been rented to a customer last?

Authorities came upon the SUV, and found a high-caliber sniper rifle with a silencer in the back seat, a backpack full of survival gear and smoke canisters.

http://blog.pe.com/crime-blotter/20...-fish-and-wildlife-pursuit-ends-in-firefight/

I don't recall seeing/hearing anything about a flash suppressor found in the vehicle, but I do recall this.

There are also a number of articles/news videos that indicate the gun Dorner used to subdue the Reynolds was fitted with a silencer.

ETA: FWIW, I'm not putting a great deal of stock in the early reported information as to what was found in the SUV. JMO, but I can't see "authorities" releasing that information so soon (the day after.) That said, John Asbury at the P-E covers the crime beat in SB County, so it is possible that he has good sources that gave him the information. I remain in a "wait-and-see" mode regarding many of the specifics in this case.

ETA: Grain of salt on my part regarding a silencer and the Reynolds. To that regard, all I can locate at this time is a second hand information mention.

The nation was glued to television sets Tuesday as the terrifying moments unfolded in front of their eyes. But for Roy Reynolds, it hit home when he realized his brother Jim and sister-in-law Karen were at the center of it all.

"He said there was a silencer on the gun, so even though the police were right across the street, he knew if they fired the gun, police would never hear it," said Roy.

http://www.clickorlando.com/news/Br...ks/-/1637132/18558202/-/13t4n1tz/-/index.html

http://blog.pe.com/crime-blotter/20...-fish-and-wildlife-pursuit-ends-in-firefight/

I don't recall seeing/hearing anything about a flash suppressor found in the vehicle, but I do recall this.

There are also a number of articles/news videos that indicate the gun Dorner used to subdue the Reynolds was fitted with a silencer.

ETA: FWIW, I'm not putting a great deal of stock in the early reported information as to what was found in the SUV. JMO, but I can't see "authorities" releasing that information so soon (the day after.) That said, John Asbury at the P-E covers the crime beat in SB County, so it is possible that he has good sources that gave him the information. I remain in a "wait-and-see" mode regarding many of the specifics in this case.
This article was particularly interesting to me because it seemed to give more detail about the 'chase'. However, when I tried to follow it on a map, there are are parts that either don't make sense or are confusing. But, it is a good article.

Documents reveal that a friend of Christopher Dorner helped police in the manhunt for the quadruple murder suspect.

CBS2′s Joy Benedict reported that a search warrant affidavit of Dorner’s Las Vegas home shows his friend Jason Young helped in the investigation.

Young reportedly showed law enforcement pictures of Dorner’s weapons since the two shared a passion for guns.

Officials relied on Young, who was mentioned in Dorner’s manifesto, for getting insight into the suspected killer’s mindset.

More at the link:

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2013/02/15/dorners-friend-reportedly-helped-police-in-manhunt/

From Lois Lane’s link:

http://blog.pe.com/crime-blotter/2013/02/13/dorner-manhunt-fish-and-wildlife-pursuit-ends-in-firefight/

I’m taking a swat at Fish and Wildlife.

When the Fish and Wildlife guys saw Dorner trying to slip down the mountain tucked behind a bus why did they not go on like they didn't see him and alert the full contingent?

There was highly trained motivated LE at the ready.

Why go one on one? A territorial thing?

Two of the game wardens began chasing Dorner, with lights and sirens on, downhill on Highway 38. Dorner made a move to pass the school buses on the left to evade authorities. He then made an immediate sharp right turn onto Glass Road, Hughan said.

The wardens tried to follow Dorner by also passing the school buses, but they were unable to see Dorner make the turn and lost sight of his vehicle.

In the meantime, the suspect, armed with additional weapons, carjacked Rick Heltebrake,

Meanwhile, two other Fish and Wildlife Chevy Silverado pickups were traveling uphill on Highway 38 with lights and sirens on,and turned onto Glass Road, searching for the suspect.

The wardens’ vehicles and the truck passed each other going in opposite directions and made eye contact for a split-second. As the second pickup passed, Dorner slouched down and pointed a high-caliber handgun out the window.

Dorner fired five to six shots, shattering the Fish and Wildlife truck’s driver’s side window and the windshield and striking the lightbar and a beam in the truck. The bullets missed the warden’s head by about 10 inches.

Both cars were traveling about 40 mph and the warden didn’t have time to pick up the radio before Dorner opened fire, Hughan said.

The warden stopped and took out his department-issued p308 AR 15 rifle, firing 20 round s — the entire magazine — toward the suspect’s retreating pickup. It’s unknown whether the vehicle or suspect were struck.

As Dorner sped away, he turned right on Highway 38 and disappeared around the corner

IMO by taking him on like that F & W were circumventing more experienced better qualified LE and putting residents in danger by engaging in wild shoot outs.

It would have been gratifying to see him taken peacefully and with the level of professionalism with which regular LE carries out their duties. Not violent mayhem like he wanted.

Please be gentle with me I’m one of those Monday morning quarterbacks, all imo

From Lois Lane’s link:

I’m taking a swat at Fish and Wildlife.

When the Fish and Wildlife guys saw Dorner trying to slip down the mountain tucked behind a bus why did they not go on like they didn't see him and alert the full contingent?

There was highly trained motivated LE at the ready.

Why go one on one? A territorial thing?

IMO by taking him on like that F & W were circumventing more experienced better qualified LE and putting residents in danger by engaging in wild shoot outs.

It would have been gratifying to see him taken peacefully and with the level of professionalism with which regular LE carries out their duties. Not violent mayhem like he wanted.

Please be gentle with me I’m one of those Monday morning quarterbacks, all imo

The Fish and Wildlife officers who spotted him coming toward them were fired upon by Dorner as he approached. They had to pursue him, it would have been a huge mistake not to return fire and pursue him so that he couldn't take some other innocent residents hostage or kill more LE.

You can't negotiate with an ex cop who is determined to fight to the death. He wasn't hiding in the cabin, he was attacking the officers, trying to kill them. In that situation, they could not risk waiting for him to come out...darkness was only a couple of hours away and he might have escaped or killed officers surrounding the cabin.

Dorner had an arsenal of weapons. They had no way of knowing if he had explosives too. If he decided to blow that cabin up, many could have been killed or it could have started a wildfire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A lot of people are pointing out on here that he only murdered LE and their family. If his intent was to randomly start picking off skiiers on the slopes that day it would have definitely resulted in the loss of non-LE and non-LE family members lives (as the chance of him randomly shooting someone on the slope and hitting an LAPD LEO was next to impossible.) I didn't mean random skiers, didn't say that. specific targets are definitely do-able using a scope. the deer hunter I talked to yesterday called it "shooting fish in a barrel" because of how close the range was

There are numerous ongoing events around the area that offer discounts to military and first responders. (e.g., Knott's Berry Farm just recently ended a two month long, heavily discounted offer.) Any thoughts on why this one would have been special? I live in the area and have never heard of this discount offered at the local ski resorts. because it was taking place in an isolated little town (population 5000) where LE has zero experience w/ this kind of situation and because he was familiar w/ the area? the discount was offered and is ongoing (see links: Summit updated their site, removed dates which have passed, Bear Mtn site still lists original dates)
http://www.snowsummit.com/ski/rates/discounts-specials/
http://www.bearmountain.com/snowboard/rates/discounts-specials/

Also, he shot the Riverside LEO at around 1:45am. It would have taken him an hour and a half to two hours to get to the destination in which his truck was found. He would have had plenty of time to hoof it up the mountain and find a suitable spot to start his attack as LE didn't know he was there until hours later. If that was his intent, why wouldn't he have carried it out, since he had the means and the opportunity? I don't mean to sound impatient and I'm trying not to sound that way but what people don't realize is that his truck was found in a very suitable spot. imagine a large outdoor theater w/ balcony seating where you can go to watch skiing. there was no need to hoof it up the mountain to find a suitable spot, because his truck was found in the front row of the balcony seats on the right side of the ski slopes, at the same elevation as the skiers. let alone the skiers, using his scope would bring everything below him into sharp focus. IMO he planned on shooting right near his truck, which fell apart when he realized he couldn't drive away immediately after shooting. the command center was in the flats. the ski slopes rise sharply above the flats and so does the neighborhood alongside the slopes where the truck was found. the truck was found above the flats, out of direct sight of those below but on a direct line of sight w/ those skiing

Surely, even if his truck wasn't damaged, he didn't think he would be able to shoot people on the slopes and just drive away undetected. Those two lane roads (one up and one down) are very easy to block. that assumes he would escape via a paved road. I will start referring to them as paved and unpaved roads. I lived in BB for 30 years. my ex was a hunter and we off-roaded every month, sometimes every weekend depending on the weather, for 13 years. what people not familiar w/ the area keep overlooking are the number of unpaved roads which lead off the mountain in every direction. you can go from BB to Palm Springs and never touch pavement, a jaunt which is 80 miles using the hwy. coincidentally, one of our favorite/frequent off-road trips was to visit friends who lived in a forestry lease cabin near Mountain Home Village, about 7 miles below Angelus Oaks. every time, we started at the top of Club View Dr where the pavement ends at 2N10, taking 2N10 which turns into Camp Radford Rd which turns into Glass Rd which leads to hwy 38. from the truck fire to the standoff is 20+ miles via hwy, about 5 miles as the crow flies, about 7 miles off-road]
it's about 3 hours/150 miles from San Diego to Big Bear. Corona/Riverside are on the way. did the Corona/Riverside shootings propel him to BB or was he headed there from San Diego anyway? it's a mystery

not giving him credit, not rooting for him, not supporting him, not unhappy that he's dead. hope I made that clear. but IMO his chances of survival, remaining uncaptured, were better in a hick town like BB than in the city

The Fish and Wildlife officers who spotted him coming toward them were fired upon by Dorner as he approached. They had to pursue him, it would have been a huge mistake not to return fire and pursue him so that he couldn't take some other innocent residents hostage or kill more LE.

You can't negotiate with an ex cop who is determined to fight to the death. He wasn't hiding in the cabin, he was attacking the officers, trying to kill them. In that situation, they could not risk waiting for him to come out...darkness was only a couple of hours away and he might have escaped or killed officers surrounding the cabin.

Dorner had an arsenal of weapons. They had no way of knowing if he had explosives too. If he decided to blow that cabin up, many could have been killed or it could have started a wildfire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BBM

According to media reports that is not correct.

Not on the first encounter.

He tried to flee:

The encounter began at about 12:45 p.m. as Dorner was driving a purple Nissan on California 38 when he passed a marked vehicle driven by the agency’s law enforcement officers.

Dorner’s vehicle was tucked behind buses when officers recognized him and swung their cars around in pursuit.

Dorner allegedly attempted to evade them by turning onto Glass Road, and at some point crashed and abandoned his small car.

About 4 minutes later after he hijacked the car he had the second encounter in which shots were fired:

When Dorner saw the second Fish and Wildlife truck approaching he rolled down his window and took aim. Dorner opened fire as the vehicles passed, strafing the truck with a handgun, officials said.

The pursuit culminated in what officials described as a wild shootout between Dorner and a state game warden.

bbm

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2013/02/dorner-manhunt-fish-and-wildlife-officers-make-the-big-break.html

>>>Meanwhile, two other Fish and Wildlife Chevy Silverado pickups were traveling uphill on Highway 38 with lights and sirens on,and turned onto Glass Road, searching for the suspect.

The wardens’ vehicles and the truck passed each other going in opposite directions and made eye contact for a split-second. As the second pickup passed, Dorner slouched down and pointed a high-caliber handgun out the window.

Dorner fired five to six shots, shattering the Fish and Wildlife truck’s driver’s side window and the windshield and striking the lightbar and a beam in the truck. The bullets missed the warden’s head by about 10 inches.

It was after all that he took off on foot to the cabin:

Dorner abandoned the pickup nearby, and fled into the woods where he exchanged gunfire with San Bernardino County sheriff’s deputies. As The gunfire continued as Dorner’ took refuge in a vacant cabin in the Seven Oaks area.

http://blog.pe.com/crime-blotter/2013/02/13/dorner-manhunt-fish-and-wildlife-pursuit-ends-in-firefight/

My statements were about F&W whipping around with lights and sirens and pursuing him when he had been on a course to come across LE that were on the original road.

All F & W would have need to do was say “he is coming towards you all” and let them handle it.

All imo

I had my husband answer this,:blushing: I hope you/ws don't mind, he is very knowledgeable in this area and I want people to know the diffeernce.
On the guns found in the truck, LE stated he had both flash suppressors and silencers on them. I can't find which news article it was in but I clearly remember mention of flash surpressors [they conceal the bright flash of fire a gun makes when firing] and silencers. Now, I don't know if he had them on his weapon he used in the cabin because watching video I recall seeing a flash of some sort from the direction of the cabin where he made his last stand....
A flash suppressor is typically a slotted device that attaches to the rifle muzzle. The purpose of the device is to break up the sheet of flame that usually shows when the unburnt remnants of the powder charge exit the muzzle, which reduces the signature and reduces the dust cloud generated if firing close to the ground. The efficiency of the flash suppressor depends on the flash suppressor design, as well as the powder design, but the flash suppressor does not completely eliminate muzzle flash, only breaks it up and diffuses it. Some powders, notably those available in civilian ammunition, generate a huge flash that cannot be concealed and the flash suppressor will have almost no effect.

A "silencer" (sound suppressor, commonly known simply as a 'suppressor') replaces the function of the flash suppressor. The use of a sound suppressor completely negates the use of a flash suppressor, an often the installation of one precludes the use of the other. Some sound suppressor manufacturers make a flash suppressor that stays permanently on the rifle muzzle, and acts as an adapter for the suppressor. Other sound suppressors require that the flash suppressor be removed (unthreaded from the muzzle) so that the sound suppressor can be threaded onto the muzzle.

Sound suppressors vary in efficiency, but a common problem is that supersonic ammunition (such as the .223 used in the fully automatic M16 or the semi-automatic AR-15 copy) cannot be effective suppressed. We can control the muzzle 'pop', caused by residual pressure and unburned propellants, but the supersonic 'crack' is extremely loud (ear damage loud) and unless special sub-sonic ammunition is used, a suppressor has limited efficiency. A suppressed supersonic round (like any normal factory load) from a .223 is still as loud at an unsuppressed .22 rimfire and hearing protection is required to prevent accumulated hearing damage. In heavily populated areas such as the UK, shooting your rifle without sound suppression is considered bad form and rather rude.

There is a joking expression in the world of sound suppression science called "movie quiet". The amount of sound reduction available to Hollywood far exceeds that permitted by physics, and most suppressors only reduce sound levels down below ear damaging levels with sub-sonic ammunition.
...Also, the LE said that they heard a gun shot audibly from the cabin-- the shot many are speculating was fired in the act of Dorner committing suicide. I'm assuming that those outside of the cabin would be unable to hear the final shot if he'd had a silencer on it. I don't know how "silent" a silencer renders gunfire inaudible...
In the circumstances we might *imagine*, a suppressed handgun firing normal ammunition would render an audible report. The same rig using subsonic ammunition would be inaudible over the ambient noise.
...I've never used either of this apparatus in my shooting experiences because of their use in criminal activities I believe they are illegal...
Like fully automatic firearms and true assault weapons, the possession of sound suppressors in the USA has been heavily regulated since the National Firearms Act of 1934 ("NFA 34"). An FBI background check is required, local law enforcement sign off is required, as well as photographs, fingerprints and a 'tax' of $200.00 is levied, on top of the cost of the device itself. The entire process takes months to accomplish and the average machine gun owner or suppressor owner is squeaky-clean and probably as well respected in his community as any internet poster, if not more so.
...I'm sure many of you have heard the recordings of the audio of the gunfight at the last cabin. To my ears, I clearly hear someone firing with an automatic weapon. As I've mention previously, I live with two LEOs who are both firearm instructors for the local sheriff's office. I've been with them numerous times to the range and I've NEVER heard them fire as many rounds as rapidly as it sounds on the video/audio. It sounds distinctly "machine gun"-like. A semi auto will fire a bullet each time one pulls the trigger. What is heard in the video would be impossible for a semi-auto to do both because of how fast you'd run out of ammo and need to reload and because of the rapid-firing of the weapon. I don't believe SBCS carry fully automatic weapons but I could be wrong. Just wondering if anyone knows if fully auto weapons are used by them or their SWAT team? Thanks in advance!
I heard the audio and there were at least three unsuppressed fully automatic (M16/M4/MP5 style weapons). The sustained fire was well above what one man could deliver.

Have to agree the fire was machine gun sound. Scared the heebeegeebees out of me. I never knew there was such a thing as a flash suppressor. Hope we are not educating some that don't need it! :eek: I am terrified of gunfire, needless to say, we all should be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SassyGirlDawn70